Friday, February 5, 2016

The Sun

I could say that nothing new under the sun happened all week, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate.  Ambrose Bierce said, "There's nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we don't know."  How true.  Human's have so much yet to discover, but so much more we'll never know.

The last seven winter days have dished out clouds, rain, and sunshine, while temperatures remained moderate all week until today.  Even though the sun did peak through clouds for awhile, on several days, during most of the week 
nothing much happened or got done.

I am convinced, it is the sun that makes all the difference!  For on a cloudy day, I am cold, tired, lethargic, maybe even a little depressed.  If the sun is out though, I feel warm, rejuvenated, and ready to seize the world... or at least work on my to-do list.  The Son, Jesus, is like the sun.  He is the light of the world.  When we let Him fill our hearts and minds and being, it is like a sunny day, rather than a day of darkness.


Saturday was a beautiful, gorgeous day.  During our first walk of the day, I took Maggie around the block and out onto part of the golf course, because it was so nice out.
 

I met Jan and Karen at the barn before noon and we rode around in the field, on the front lawn, and out on the trail.


Amiga was really wound up and quite willful during our ride.  I worked some on corrections, but did not put much time into training because it doesn't seem worth it right now since I won't be able to stay with it.

I am soon to be gone for a week and the weather may not permit much riding during this month.  When I get back from our cruise, I will focus more on training, to get Amiga back into good riding shape.
Once home, I raked leaves that had collected in small piles in our yard, in the low spots.




For the evening, six of us went to the Legends for the Salsa Dance and Dinner.  Shirley picked me up, since we were arriving early with Judy, to have a Salsa lesson.  I took this sunset photo from Shirley's car.



Joe, Jean and Bob joined us later.  The dance lesson went well, although we didn't have partners or time to learn many moves.  In salsa dancing, it is the man that does all of the leading.  We were told by our Hispanic dance instructor you don't see this in America now a days because our woman are so independent and want to be the leaders.  Ha ha ha... it is true though.

Seen right:  
Hey, you're on my bed!


I woke to a cloudy and windy morning Sunday.  Breakfast, Church, lunch, work, dinner, walk... and the day was done.  As Taps lyrics say,
"Day 
is done, gone the sun, from the lake, from the hills, from the sky; All is well, safely rest, God is nigh."  Except there was no sun all day.




Next photo:  
You need to get off my bed!

I took these photos midday, of the "kids" negotiating over the bed by the picture window.  





I said get off!  Off, off, off!

There was no sunshine warming the space, but it is still a favorite spot of theirs.



Okay, that leaves me no choice...

 






... but to sit on you!

Monday morning the sky was an orange color when I walked Maggie after breakfast.
I knew rain was coming so took an extra long stroll.  But it started sprinkling just as we were coming across the back lawn from the golf course.  I had to scurry to get the trash and bird feeders out before the skies opened up.







I was at the barn by 8:30, for farrier Tom to trim A & Z.  By the time he arrived, shortly after I did, it started really pouring... buckets, cats and dogs, and everything else.



It was very noisy in the barn with rain hitting the metal roof, which made Zorro a little nervous.




I had Tom check Zorro's hoof and he said the back left hoof is looking much better.  I could see that the crack and chip were much farther grown out.  Tom also said the thrush is gone for the time being, but he suggested I keep treating as a preventative... especially with all the rain we were and would be getting.


You can sort of see the rain coming down as I was leading Zorro out to the pasture.  He stopped and started licking Tom's truck.  LOL  I think he was stalling for time.



Amiga's been in heat, so was a bit moody, but she did well, getting new front shoes and a trim all around.  I decided to keep her barefoot in the back until her next trimming.  Cheryl took this photo of us.  


I messed around at my computer, watched it rain, grabbed a bit of lunch and was ready to go to the gym, but it had stopped raining.  So I took Maggie for a walk on the back nine of Druid.  It sprinkled on us midway, but just for a little bit so we kept going.  On the final stretch home though, we got poured on.
  

After drying the dog off, I went and worked out on weights, pushing myself a little extra.  I stretched, showered, and was home just after 4 pm.  Joe was gone (to Cherokee) for a night of poker, so I made myself at home.  I got a big fire going and hung out here on my computer, watching the fog roll in.  For dinner I made a pot of rice and beans (which Joe doesn't care for).  The remainder of the evening I watched TV while sitting by the fire with the cat and dog.  

I did not get up Tuesday until after daybreak.  One would never know the sun was up because the black clouds had darkened the sky.  It didn't actually rain very hard or that much, but enough to make the dog walks messy.

I picked up Shirley at 9 am and we went to Jan's Church for a new Bible Study that just started.  I am doing the study of the Book of Esther, the only book in the Bible where God is not mentioned, but silently at work.  

From the Baptist Church, nine of us went to lunch at the Pour House.  I ate all of my chicken wrap and salad and was stuffed.  Once home, rather than meet Jan at the barn to ride, I chose to walk Maggie, since she had been cooped up for almost five hours.  Seen left, a deer lying in the woods.  Maggie never saw or smelled her, and she held very still and never took her eyes off us as we walked down the road.  


You never know what you're going to see in the woods or in people's yards.  I think in the right photo is the carcass of a fox.  Below, I don't know what to think... and I sometimes wonder what people are thinking.  Lawn art... NOT.
Maggie and I walked for nearly two hours.  The sun was actually peeking in and out from behind clouds and it was 68 degrees.  I got way too warm.  At one point it started to sprinkle, but not for long.  Maggie was wet and muddy from head to toe having run through drainage ditches, creeks, and puddles.  Exhaustion hit when I got home.  I sat out on the screened porch off our bedroom, drinking a big glass of water and listening to and watching the wind blow through the trees as another storm moved into the area.  Joe joined me once he got home, and we chatted for awhile, as the sun set.  

It stormed off and on throughout the night and was still raining for our first walk of the morning Wednesday... which I kept very short.  Once the rain stopped, well after sunrise, I took Maggie for a much longer walk. 

The sun was out at the time I left for the CC and our monthly Ladies Club meeting and luncheon.  I just stayed there then, for my 1:30 - 7 pm work shift.  Joe was out playing cards when I got home.  After feeding the dog and cat, Maggie and I took a long walk before bedtime.  Sometimes our TV randomly turns on by itself.  Come to discover, Stevie lays on or walks over the on/off button.  


Thursday morning I poked around not really getting anything, other than a load of laundry, done.  Then Judy, Shirley and I met at Shirley's to make final preparations and payments for our up coming trip.  We ended up talking, planning, dreaming, and laughing for over four hours.

Not having time to go workout, I came home, ate a very late lunch, changed, and Joe and I then headed in to town.  He dropped me at Wal-mart and went to the tile store to pick up our trim tile.  (I really hope it will look nice, or at least be okay.)  Then we went to the movie theater and watched Thirteen Hours.  It was intense, and made you both mad and sad.

Maggie and Stevie had another late dinner.  I walked almost an hour to get some much needed exercise and release the nervous tension from the adrenaline impact the movie gave me.  It was getting cold and the wind was strong.  



It was quite a bit colder (26 degrees) when I ventured out for our first morning walk Friday.  

By 8:00, I was at the Conference Center for the employee appreciation breakfast.  I always enjoy a good hardy meal with lots of bacon, eggs, taters, sausage and gravy, and pastries.  While digesting we heard our president's report on last years accomplishments and then he talked about future goals.
Fairfield Glade Community Club (the whole resort/retirement community) is doing very well.  We all work very hard and I am proud to work for this establishment.  Our building got a service recognition award for our work during the ice storm.  We had been open 24/7 for almost a whole week, as a warming station.  We provided a place for people in need to get warm, eat, and shower.  We all volunteered to work extra shifts to cover the extra hours.  The housemen, managers, and office ladies were also great help cleaning, organizing transport of people, and getting the food delivered.
Then the front desk attendants collectively got the award for club promoter.  We each got a plaque and a gift card.  Whoot whoot.









I came home and took a nap.  A long afternoon walk and a trip to the gym was about all else I accomplished, even though it was sunny all day.  

"Thanks and praise, for our days, 'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, neath the sky; As we go, this we know, God is nigh."  More Taps lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment