Friday, October 28, 2016

Not Ready

November is just around the corner.  Winter will soon be here.  And I am not even ready for fall.  I am not ready for early nights, shorter days, and colder weather.  I am not ready to get out my jacket or turn on the heater.

Saturday morning Joe was planning to go to Carol's for the night and then on up to northern Indiana for another Senior Poker tournament.  Before he left, I wanted use of the SUV and his muscle power.  First he had to unloaded 15 concrete blocks he had bought the night before.  Most of them will be used here at this corner of the garage, but I am not ready to tackle this project just yet.






At 9 am, we drove into the back woods on a road I had walked recently.  While Joe walked Maggie, I dug up a six foot pine tree.  He helped me get it loaded into the SUV, and unloaded into the wheel barrow once home.  I immediately got busy planting this white pine in a hole I had already dug out in back.


I put the tree right by a white, out of bounds marker, to kind of hide the stick from our view.  In the left photo, you can see two other white boundary markers behind Brian's house.  This evergreen will give a different texture to the array of foliage between our house and the pond, adding color in the winter.  White pine foliage is not very dense so it will not really block our view of the pond or golf course, but will in later years give our house a little more privacy in the winter time.  It will help the deer feel better hidden as well.


Joe hit the road while I was planting and watering this new tree.  We had gotten a 1/2 inch of rain overnight Thursday (which is our total rainfall for October).  It wasn't much, but may have helped to get my newest seeded area to germinate (seen below).  Although I have been watering this twice a day. 





I didn't water Friday or Saturday because the ground seemed to retain its moisture and I wanted to encourage deeper root growth.  Seen below, what little rain we did get, was quickly absorbed by the scorched ground, and very little (if any) made its way to the pond. 




After lunch I went to the barn to check on the horses.  Zorro was fine but Amiga had two large lumps, each side of her neck, where she had gotten her shots.  You can see them here, when I took this photo while riding her. 














We had a good ride.  There were no issues with lameness.  And the lumps on her neck didn't even seem to bother her.  I let her graze in the bean field that is now winter wheat, and massaged her lumps while she ate.  The rain had helped this grass to grow too.


When I got home, I got to work on the cement block wall, built to keep the rocks from rolling down into the drainage ditch. 

Notice Maggie in the right photo, keeping an eye on things.  The lower left photo shows the view of the blocks seen from our driveway.


After yard work, I loaded Maggie in the back of my car and headed out into undeveloped roads I haven't yet walked.



This time, I came across obstructions that were dumped right in the road.  Seen right, dirt and rock making driving down this cul-de-sac impossible.  Below was a pile of wood chips and logs.  Contractors will do this in the backwoods of the Glade, rather than drive a long distance and have to pay to dump it in the correct designated areas.  This frustrates me to no end, as does the trash I also sometimes see.  What is wrong with people?


The sun was setting as we finished up our walk on the darkening back roads (seen right).

It was dark and I was tired by the time we got home, so I chose to wait and do my landscape watering in the morning.

I got my watering done, but had to push it to get to Church on time Sunday morning because the laundry was not ready to be folded and the dog was not ready to pee or poop.

After Church, I had an early lunch and then took Maggie on a long walk (2 hrs) on more back roads of the Glade.  Seen right, one of the few roads that continues past Fairfield property.  This is private land with signs posted on the tree.  We have ridden down this road a few times (Jim had permission) but the red gate has always been closed.  Maggie and I turned around at this point.
Some of the roads we walked were well traveled, like the one below, which leads to the Overlook hiking trail.




Once home to rest and re-hydrate, I read and then fell asleep, having a nice nap.  Waking at 4pm, I was going to go to the Wellness Center to lift weights, but was just not ready for the physical exertion, so went next door to the Conference Center instead, and sat in the hot tub for 30 minutes.  I hit Food City on the way home, fixed a fruit salad with most of the fresh produce I had bought, and then went next door to Brian's for dinner with he, Andy, and Rita.  It was an evening of good food, drink, and intriguing conversation.


Monday morning I took the trash out, filled bird feeders, and then went back out to water after only one cup of tea.  I was not ready to be any more productive outside, so came in for a second cup of tea and answered several e-mails and made some phone calls.

The afternoon was spent at the barn.  I rode for an hour with Jan and Cheryl but also spent a lot of time just hangin' out.

The underside of one of Amiga's hooves was chipping off (due, in part, to the very dry conditions) so I treated all her feet with a hoof conditioner that Cheryl lent me.  After our ride, we three sat with Judy, on the benches that face the pastures, and chatted while watching the horses.  Zorro and Amigo have been negotiating for top spot and control of the mares.  Zorro has become leader of the herd.  He is not mean about it, but he is relentless.  Amigo is older (and maybe wiser) and probably feels it's not worth it to argue with Zorro.

I have started a new game with Maggie.  I'll have a treat in my pocket, have her sit by me, tell her "ready, set, go" and she will race around to the back of the house.  I follow, hook her up to her tie, and give her a treat.  Today she got side-tracked by a chipmunk and ended up in the pond where there is still some water.  What a dirty mess.

After washing the dog off, I fertilized all my plantings in the smaller bed out front.  I grabbed an early dinner of leftovers and then watered (well past dark) all the new grass in back.  Joe got home at 7 pm, and I soon finished up outside and came in to hear of his adventures.  He had safe travels, not much time to help Carol (but it was intensive labor), and did not win $ in the Tournament or at the open poker tables.

Tuesday morning Joe was up and out of the house before 8:30.  I have no idea where my morning went, although I did do some laundry.  Before lunch I cut, cleaned and froze all of the sweet basil out in the large deck pot.  I transplanted some of my parsley from this pot, moving it into a smaller pot for on the kitchen counter.  The rest of the parsley I also washed and froze.  Next I fertilized all my potted plants, inside and out.  Then I fertilized (as I watered) all of the plantings in the largest flowerbed out front.  I also raked up some large piles of leaves.

Maggie helps with the leaf blanket.

After a quick, late lunch, I took Maggie on a Glade walk.  While out in the middle of the woods, Joe called to say the tree guys planned to come later with some wood shavings.  So I cut my walk short (70 min.) and arrived back home hoping to get some free mulch.
I don't know what my problem is, but again, I was too tired to work outside.  So I sat and read for a half hour.  To avoid falling asleep, I got up and went out front to work while waiting for the mulch delivery.

I started rebuilding the block wall, because I didn't like how the lower part stuck way out past the top part (seen left), and the finished rebuild (seen below).














Once Joe got home from his golf outing at 4 pm, I had him saw a concrete block (the middle thin one) for me.  I moved the bottom two blocks back to be in line with the top blocks and trimmed 6 inches off the drain pipe (close up seen left).

I watered out back till dark (the mulch never came) and then Joe and I went to Spikes where we met Brian for a bite to eat.  We watched the Cubs start their first game of the World Series, but once home weren't interested enough to watch the end of the game (which they lost).


Wednesday I went to the Wellness Center for the 9:30-10:30 Ballroom Aerobics class.  I really enjoy this class and look forward to getting back into it as part of my regular routine.  I had troubles synchronizing my arms and legs for some of the songs, and at one particular spot in a Latino song I like, I got frustrated and just started dancing my own way.  The instructor said, "don't hurt yourself."  Ha ha ha.  I guess I looked somewhat out of control.  LOL

From the gym, I went to the barn where I met up with Jan.

Seen upper right, I normally offer Amiga water as I bring her in from the field, and Zorro follows us.  Today he got a drink, but as usual, Amiga didn't.  In the left photo, as I ride Amiga, we take a look at some of the Halloween decorations they have put up.


Jan and I had a great ride together.  We were out for over an hour and Amiga did well.  She is a little rusty with gaits and speeds, but we are getting back into the groove.  And, no lameness issues, which I am so thankful for.

Kaylah took several photos of Jan and I on Cash and Amiga, once we got back to the barn.









We also took photos of each other under the big, old Sycamore tree.














As soon as I got home, the desire and energy to work was no where to be found.  I read my novel while having an afternoon snack.  Then it occurred to me that I needed to get out and walk more of the Glade back roads.  So off Maggie and I went.  Seen left, ashes where someone had built a fire right in the middle of the road.  This is the third location I have see evidence of an old fire.  Yikes.  Now is not the time to be doing this.  Wildfires have been a problem all around up in Catoosa Wildlife management area.

Maggie and I also came across another pile of wood chips.  I really liked the looks of this mulch, no sticks, long shreds, or logs.  It was all finely chipped.  If our tree man fails to deliver, I may just have to start hauling from this pile.

Joe came home early from his card game, not having any luck at the table.  We watched Survivor, but Designated Survivor hadn't yet taped (it starts at 10 pm), my bed time.

Thursday morning we were told the chips would come before noon.  I decided to get my long walk in first, so had Joe follow me in my car.  I left it in one spot and we drove up to where I started my walk.  Photo of grapevine ivy fruit and gnarly twists of vine to show Carol.  We have been 'playing' name that plant with ones having similar looking fruit.



The day's route included the nearly one mile of road that leads to Rosemary's house.  They are the only ones living on this road so their mailbox is out by the main street.


As we approached their house, we saw this scarecrow out front.  At first Maggie was afraid of it.






This tree was down, completely blocking the road.  It must have fallen this summer, because was full of dead leaves.  I made a note to not try to ride down this road.





It was over two hours before Maggie and I got back home.  I had found this moss covered log (seen here in my trunk) and carried it a 1/2 mile back to the car.  I am planning a moss garden and thought it would be a good natural addition to the landscape.




Just after I finished lunch, the tree guys arrived with the wood chips.  I spent the rest of the afternoon moving wheelbarrow loads of mulch.  I did get Joe to help with five loads, about a third of what I moved.  There were several sticks I had to pull out, but it was pretty good stuff.  As Mom says, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.



Seen left is what I had completed.  I had to rake leaves out from under the shrubs before mulching under and around them.  I also gently raked leaves off the new grass that is really coming in around the edge of this bed, to help define its border (which can be seen in these photos). 






Joe's two poker/golf friends (Don and Randy) arrived after 4 pm, but I was not ready to quit out back.  They unwound from their 9 hour drive, with a beer on the back porch, and then went with Joe for a tour of the Glade while I finished up outside.  Then we were off to dinner at Red's, more beer, and an early bed time.

Friday morning the guys were up and out of the house by 7:10.  They had a full day of golf ahead of them, starting on Druid at 7:30 am.  The dense fog lingered until after 9 am, making spotting their golf ball difficult, and it hindered their viewing of the scenery.
 
Around 11 am, I walked the dog and was ready to head into town, when a roof/tree service guy stopped by.  I let him give me an estimate, and the sucker talked me into doing some cutting, but not all the things he had suggested.  I also got him to come down on his price.  So, his crew cut down two large limbs.  The branches were large, high up, and nearly touching the second story roof.  I knew these limbs would soon need to go, and after the last ladder trim job I had Joe do, I decided it was in our best interest to have this tree service cut them off the trees.

While outside getting some photos, Joe yelled from the fairway.  The guys were just hitting over the pond.  So I went to watch and get some pictures of them.  Don is putting #17 and you can see part of our house in the background.






Now that it was lunchtime, I grabbed a quick bite and then headed into town.  My trip consisted of four stops and only lasted a little over two hours.  After three stores, I took care of early voting.  I was not ready to select a candidate for presidency, but never would be, so went in to get it over with.

Once home, I unloaded and put away all of my purchases and then got word that the 'boys' would be eating out at a poker game.  So, I was off the hook and wouldn't have to worry about cooking dinner.  I decided to get the three new shrubs I bought planted.

First I transplanted this unusual holly (seen above and left) that I had moved from the woods last fall, and planted out front.  It is now in this bare spot down by the bench by the pond.  I decided I wanted the Blue Point Juniper (seen below) in the holly's spot, so got it planted.


 I also wanted to replace a dead holly (new one seen below) I had moved from the woods last fall.  For under six $ I can buy these small shrub, which do better than my transplants, and are a lot easier to plant. 


Notice the wood chip pile in the background.



Last of all, I planted this Compact Andorra Juniper (seen right and below) that will only get two feet high, but spread out and hide this power pole somewhat.

Maggie kept watch while I worked, but she kept getting into trouble because she was pulling sticks and large shreds of wood from the mulch pile.







I was not ready to quit for the day, but there was no time left to move mulch because it was getting dark.  I did water out back, into the dark of night.

A big toss salad for dinner and I was in bed reading and soon asleep, long before the poker players arrived home.

Whether or not we are ready, time will pass, things will happen, the Earth will change, and we will need to adjust and move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment