Friday, January 13, 2017

R & Rrrrr

Once back from our two week vacation, and still feeling lousy, I really needed some R & Rrrrr (rest, relaxation, recovery, recuperation, restoration, and renewal).

Saturday, Carol sent a Ping of our current weather.  It looked like a good day to stay home, inside, and rest.  I didn't get up until 7 am, so slept over ten hours.  I had walked the dog, first thing, before Joe was up, but didn't go outside the rest of the day.  I decided it was best to hunker down indoors all day, and try to kick my cold.


I spent a great deal of time here at my desk, working hard to get the blog post from our week at the condo done.  My computer was really slow and on top of that, the internet went down several times.  This did not help my outlook on life.  I was glad to have Stevie nearby, whom I know was glad to have us home.  Notice the pile of mail I also needed to catch up on.





I was sooo far behind on my blogging, but it was hard to stay focused because I needed to unpack, had lots of laundry, and there was still all the Christmas decorations that needed to come down and be stored away.  I would take a break from my computer and work at some of these other chores.



I continued to cough my lungs out and had a headache, earache and puffy eyes.  I think the reason I felt so bad was because I had quit taking the cold/flu medicine I bought on our way out of Winter Haven.  I decided I should let myself cough to clear the gunk out of my lungs.  Well, sometimes I coughed so hard, I almost threw up and all the joint and muscle aches were back.  I had little energy, so just laid low and worked on my blog.  At least the sun was shining and it looked pretty outside.  



Sunday morning after I walked the dog and filled the bird feeders, I took this photo of mist rising from the pond, while the sun came up in the background.

I had woken up feeling R & Rrrr (rotten & raunchy, arrrgh).  It was another day of rest and recuperation for me, with again much time spent here at my computer.  I also continued with some Christmas clean up, laundry, and putting away everything that we had taken on our trip (even the rubber pig).

Stevie, the Queen of R & R. 

Mid-afternoon I made a big batch of chicken rice soup.  That helped to warm and soothe my soul.  Joe left to play poker before 2 pm and I continued to laze around.  Before dinner time I took Maggie on a 20 minute walk.  It did me good.  Finally I felt like maybe I was getting better.


Monday my body showed continued signs of improvement and I ruled out any need to go to prompt care.  I still had a few hard coughing spells during the day, still had a headache and fatigue, but it wasn't as bad.  A hot shower and getting dressed helped me feel more normal also.  But the thought of going to workout or go for a long walk outside just didn't seem doable.


















This series of photos of the cat and dog enjoying time in the sun, on the floor together, is cute.  I was unable to decide which of these four photos to include, so I used them all. 

After lunch I drove to Jan's to get cat care instructions.  Once home, I took Maggie for a 20 minute walk, and it made me feel winded.  I planted the Amaryllis bulb Cathy gave me and then got both Christmas trees taken down and packed away.  After I vacuumed and moved furniture back to where it belonged, the cat and dog had more floor space and sunshine to enjoy and I felt good about what I had accomplished. 

I had leftover soup for dinner and went for fairly long walk with the dog.  I got out of breath and felt dizzy again.  Gesh, I can't wait to be back to my normal self.

I have started turning on the news, on TV, while I am in the kitchen preparing meals, and found it a good way to stay a little better connected to the world.  News of the flooding and snow storm in the Sierra Nevada's had me concerned for sister Jean and her friend Katie.








Jean sent the left photo a day later, when I inquired about how she was doing.  And then the bottom photo she sent Thursday.



According to the news, they got six feet of snow in 24 hours (which actually compacts to less).  But look how deep it was.  She had to shovel her car out from under feet of snow three days in a row.

Tuesday I woke at almost 4 am, couldn't get back to sleep, so got up.  I could hear the wind whipping through the tree branches outside, and was again thankful we didn't have any trees too close to the house.  Only needing six hours of sleep must be another sign I was getting better.  Having so much morning time gave me the opportunity to get my first week of vacation blog done and posted.




Then I worked here on last week's blog (the second week of vacation), trying to get caught up from our 15 days of being gone.  It was back up into the 30's outside, but the house sure felt cold because there was no sun and the wind was howling and it just sounded freezing outside.



I made myself get dressed and rode to town with Joe who was taking my car in for another estimate.  He dropped me at Wal-Mart, went to TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology) and was back just as I was checking out.

Once home and done with putting away all the groceries, I brought in all the outside Christmas decorations, which wasn't much, and got them stowed away.  Stevie thinks Christmas bins are great fun to hide in, and I think she is so cute peeking over the rim while trying to stay out of sight.



A man from the gas company came out, and put in a meter.  We are now ready for the gas fireplace insert and new gas line to this meter.  We have our old propane tank for sale and will have copper pipe to get rid off too.

I had wanted to go to the barn but the cold wind, dreary skies, and lack of energy was enough to talk myself right out of it.  I may have had a little relapse with my cold also.  At any rate, I decided I was done for the day and got back into my PJ's.  I thought I needed more R & R (time to recover & regroup).   Before dinner, I did manage a short dog walk and then Joe and I watched a Barbra Streisand movie, 'Nuts' to end the evening.

Lounging on a rainy day with my two fur babies.



Wednesday it rained almost all day.  It had started during the night, sometimes coming down quite hard.  The temperature had warmed up to almost 50 degrees, and the winds had calmed down, but the clouds and dampness made me feel cold, and want to snuggle.
 





I don't know if I felt bad because I hadn't gotten any exercise all week, but my weakness, feeling dizzy, and having no energy made it difficult to get up and go.




After some R & R (reading & review), I finished and posted last week's blog and then started on this one.

The sun never came out from behind the clouds and I remained a bum most of the day.







Joe left early for his 4 pm card game and eventually I had to take the dog for a walk.  As soon as I got outside, I realized it was actually kind of nice out.  So I walked for almost an hour, even working up a sweat because I was overdressed.  I think the air and exercise did me good.

A selfie attempt while on horseback.
It is hard to get both horse and rider in the photo.
 
Thursday I was a little more productive because I didn't sit here at my computer as long as I had been doing every day this week.  I got the rest of the laundry done, and finished taking down and storing away all the rest of the Christmas decorations.  I still need to complete more R & R (reduce and recycle) with some of this stuff.  Maybe next year.  I left all the kick-knacks off the shelves by the fireplace, and will wait to decorate these once our new gas insert is completed.

I finally made it out to the barn!  Amiga was filthy and required lots of brushing before saddling her.





I rode Amiga for 30 minutes, just at a walk.  She did great, listened, and didn't get all revved up.  Also, there were no signs of lameness.  I plan to go slowly, working her back into shape.

Next I brought Zorro in (seen above) and he too was a dirty mess.  After getting him brushed, I could take a closer look at his injuries.  They are all healed up.  I could barely see the one on his front leg and seen right, is the scar left on his back thigh.  There is dark hair growing over it and no signs of muscle damage.

I made pork roast for dinner, cleaned sticks out of the yard while it cooked, and then Joe and I watched Yentl before bed.

Friday morning we had a pair of Mallards in the pond, so I took a little extra corn down to near the water's edge.  I blogged and then finished vacuuming and putting the rest of the furniture back where it belonged.  This actually made me winded and dizzy.  Shoot.

After lunch I went to Jan's house to take care of her two cats.  This is Marvin, the more out-going one.

From Jan's I went to the barn.  Out in the pasture, looking back towards the barn, it looks like smoke on the mountain.  Zorro always tries to get between Amiga and I when I am leading her back to the barn.








Amiga required more brushing and then we were off on another short little ride.  Again she did well.  Once back to the barn, I rode past the stalls and out the front to work Amiga in the yard.  I was happy that she went so willingly and didn't get pushy or start rushing like she sometimes does out in the open field.

Riding Amiga around, inside the barn
But then, it started to rain.  So I rode Amiga back to the barn (as kind of a reward) and just as I dismounted, the skies opened up and it poured.

As I was leaving Wildwood Stables, I took the lower photo of the livery horses in the winter pasture across the street.  You can see mist on the mountain that looks like smoke.

It was a quiet evening at home with Joe off playing cards again.  The three times I walked the dog I kept it short and quick because it was sprinkling each time.  I also watched an episode of Fixer Upper while sitting by the fire with the dog and cat near by.

No comments:

Post a Comment