Friday, February 17, 2017

Self Control

I mentioned last week how it is easy to get sucked into negativity, unhappiness, anger, and the like.  To avoid the pitfalls of loosing yourself in the ugliness of this world, we need to practice self control.  We need to be mindful of what we say and do, so we don't lose who we are and what we stand for.  There are many areas in our life where we harm ourselves or others because we lose control of our self, our thoughts, our actions, and our words.

Self-control can be defined as restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires.  It is having willpower over one's actions.  There are many places in the Bible that speak on self-control. 
1 Corinthians 9:25 - Eexercise self-control in all things. 
2 Timothy 3:1-5 warns of stressful times when people will not use self-control. 
"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people."  1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
 

We need to learn to use self-control in all areas of life, to control ourselves in all ways. Our mouth, in particular can be a problem... consuming or saying things that are harmful.  So, how can we learn to control ourselves?  I try to remember to stop and pray. 
Self control is a fruit of the spirit.  It is a gift from God.  The Holy Ghost is your spiritual GPS.  He will tell you where you are, where you are headed, and guide you as to the best path to take.  Learn to control your life by the power of the Holy Spirit.

For those of you who do not seek God for help and direction, I pray for you, but for now, here is a more secular way to go about strengthening your self control.  It has good advice for all who want to practice better self-control.  And honestly, many non-Christians have far better self-control (loving, kind, compassionate, tolerant, giving, and moral, with clean mouth, heart, and mind) than many professed Christians.

Okay, I'll admit it, when it comes to cute pet photos, I have little self-control. 
Saturday morning I didn't roll out of the sack until 7:00.  Quite late for me, because I had gone to bed late and not slept well.  It was 52 degrees out, warmer than the high the day before.  It felt like spring.  However, I smelled rain and the forecast said it was coming.

I spent the morning at my desk, finishing and posting last week's blog, and catching up with the 'going-ons' of family and friends.  Eventually, I was feeling too sleepy, and took a little cat nap.  Maggie is yawning out of boredom in this photo.

The rains had not yet come, so after lunch, I did some work on excavating our end of the pond.  I worked a couple of hours, resulting in more earth movement, but I wasn't yet done.



Here is a before (left) and after shot to show my progress.  Most of the dirt moved was actually underwater.




Seen left, an action shot of Maggie in hot pursuit of a chipmunk.  She has yet to catch one.  I took this video of her on the hunt.

Maggie in search of any critter she sees or smells.






Once it started to sprinkle, I came in, cleaned up a little, and then headed to town.  I went to six stores and was gone five hours (3-8 pm).  I was shopping for several specialty items, but basically had no luck finding any of them.  I did get grass seed at Lowe's, and some household staples and food at Wal-mart, before heading home.  So the trip wasn't a total waste.


Sunday was another warm, sunny day, with rain in the forecast again.  There was one little shower on the way to Church, and a minute or two of sprinkles when I was out back working, but that was it.

My yard work started out front, to trim (way back) the two dead arborvitae and then clear leaves and dead foliage from around iris bulbs.  I carefully cleared from around some of the daffodils, which are already at least six inches above ground and many have blooms on them.

When I took the dead bush clippings down back, I lost control of myself, and started clearing a path along the creek for the deer.  I started out near the pond, on the far side of the creek, and went towards Lakeview Dr.  I later took these photos as I was walking back towards the pond.  In the left photo is Allen's bridge over the creek and the new path at the right side of the photo.






The path continues to the right of the creek, following along it, all the way down to the pond.







Then, as originally intended, I worked at clearing the rest of the earth from the pond.  As I told Brian and Allen, I try to stay out of political feuding.  All my mud slinging is down at the pond.  Below photo taken on a sunny day, looking up stream, with deer path to left of the creek.


Late in the afternoon, while I was dredging more dirt and leaves out of the pond, I heard deer in the woods.  They were coming down the new path, but when they saw me, they headed up the hill, through the uncleared woods, towards the 18th tee of the golf course.


I worked until 6 pm, dark; and finally finished this project.  Here is a before I started photo (bottom left) compared to after I finished (taken Monday).















This next series of photos is a progression, over the past year or so, of the change (due to my mud slinging) that has taken place where the creek enters into the pond.  It also shows the area at varying water levels.







































This is a view from the other side of the creek, of the new bank down by our bench on the rock. 

Before I was even done out back, my back, arms, and legs were already feeling quite sore.  I lingered in the shower longer than necessary.  I try to keep showers quick for environmental reasons, but just couldn't control myself.  Joe was at poker so I made a big salad for dinner and watched a Fixer Upper episode by the fire.


Monday morning Maggie and I frightened a black cat from near our deck when we went out on the screened porch by the bedroom.  The cat ran down the hill and jumped the creek.  Then sat on a log, assessing the danger.  It slowly walked along the new path and up to the 17th green where I lost sight of it.

It was a sunny day, but with the wind and temperature, it felt a little chilly.  I was in no hurry to get going, so I started this blog post.


At 11:15, I threw on barn clothes, grabbed a quick lunch, and was out the door by 11:45.  I loaded tack in the trailer and went out in the field to catch Amiga.  That's her butt in the photo, with Zorro hogging the hay pile.

I got Amiga all brushed and cleaned up, and noticed that both her back hips seemed much improved in terms of lumps and soreness.  Once Joe arrived we loaded her on the trailer.  She was a little more difficult this time, but was on in less than ten minutes.


Coming off the trailer at Terry's was typical, with Amiga crashing out backwards.  I really think she hates walking on the plank.  She had been all jittery before unloading, but as soon as she was off the trailer, she calmed right down.  She is always good about standing quietly while tied to the outside of the trailer.  I got her tacked up and Jan got Cash ready to ride and then we were off.





We did the Kirkstone Loop plus some more backwoods roads, saw two different sets of hikers, and thoroughly enjoyed our ride.  Amiga did well.  Walking up and down a few hills I noticed her short stepping some.  But when we cantered up one hill, she seemed fine.  It seems easier for her to move out when she is collected.



I rode Amiga back to Wildwood, by way of the new trail.  Steve (a new boarder at the barn) and his wife had worked on the trail and I could see the improvements.  I took this video from the creek to half way up the easier hill, going towards the barn.

After un-tacking and brushing Amiga, when backing and turning her from the wash rack, her front right leg buckled on her.  Jean was there and saw it too.  I just don't know what to think any more.

I unloaded horse manure once home while Maggie watched from up on the deck.

Looking at the sky reflected in these windows, it's no wonder the birds get confused by this view.  Joe and I watched our weekly show, 24 Legacy.



Tuesday morning I picked Shirley up and we went to Jan's church for a Bible Study.  We are doing a seven week study by Priscilla Shirer, of Ephesians 6:10-19, called The Armor of God.  I was very impressed with her video, and study guide, but am going to need self control to do the daily reading and workbook activities.

It was just after noon when I got home.  I had lunch and then was trying to talk myself into working outside.  While I was looking out the window, thinking about all that needed doing out there, a little rain shower hit, and that was all it took to convince me that staying inside, reading and napping would be best, which I did by the fire (video).  So how's that for self control?

Joe and I did go to the Wellness Center and work out for almost two hours before getting gussied-up for our Valentine dinner at Legends.  Gwen and Jan, and their husbands Michael and Mike met us there.  We had a fun evening together, enjoying food and wine, and even some dancing.

I don't know why I slept horribly again.  I had a stabbing pain in my chest and was trying to assess if it was a symptom for a heart mal-function.  I couldn't take a deep breath without it really hurting.  It felt worse when I was lying flat, rather than on my side.  My heart burn doesn't usually hurt that much.  Finally I got out of bed at 2 am.

The moon seen in the sky as the sun comes up.
My Wednesday morning was a fog.  Joe left for Florida at 3 am.  I had to walk Maggie in the rain around 4:30.  I spent quite a bit of time at my computer, and I did nap by the fire.  But, while I was lying down, the chest pain did kind of crop up again.

I made a quick stop at Food City on the way home from Ballroom Aerobics.  I was so tired during class I kept making mistakes.  Proof enough for me, that dancing does take brain power.




I ate some of my newly bought food for lunch, laid down in front of the fire to read because I was cold, and ended up taking another little nap.  Stevie loves the hot hearth.

I did go down in back to pull a few more leaves out of the pond.  It is easier to see them when the water is still.  Once I start raking them out, I can no longer see what is underwater.


As I was walking the back nine of Druid, I got news, and a photo, that Joe made it safely to Mom's.
Instead of coming down the 18th fairway (from green to tee) I took the library trail.  It had been recently cleared of leaves, but they are also in the process of changing the route at the bottom of the dip, where the creek runs, so I had to cut through woodland to get home.  I had a big salad for dinner and then watched Fixer Upper to finish the day.

I took four 20 minute (1 mile) dog walks throughout the day Thursday, starting first thing in the morning while my tea steeped.  It was a leisurely morning with lots of time spent at my computer and a little time on reading for my Bible study.  Each morning the house has felt cool enough to warrant a fire.

I went out to sow some plant seeds.  This is a mix of special Tetraploid Ryegrass, Rape Brassica, and clovers.  All nutrient rich and deer loving forage foliage.

I ate lunch early and went to the barn to ride Amiga.  We were meeting Jan on Stratford Dr.  The dogs lead the way as usual.  On the way out, at the pond, Amiga spooked big time (maybe ducks flew up).  She jumped and spun around so fast, I got pitched right off.  I landed on my right hip while still hanging on to the reins with my left hand.  She might have taken off without me had I not kept contact with her.  After brushing off the dirt and assessing bodily harm, (only my left hand hurt and had a burning flesh sensation) I swung back on Amiga and continued down the trail to meet up with Jan, all the while thanking God I didn't get hurt.

The three dogs greet Jan and Cash.
Jan and I enjoyed a good ride.  Amiga did well, although seemed stiff in the right front leg.  I noticed her favoring it when walking down steep hills and on some up hills.  If I let her canter up a hill, it seemed much easier for her, probably because she is better collected.  We took the new trail to and from the Glade.  This video was taken of Amiga going up the steep hill to Stratford Dr.







When I got back to the barn, Zorro and all the other horses were already in their stalls.  I ended up being
'in the saddle' for almost 2 1/2 hours.

Before dinner, I went to the CC hot tub to soak, hoping to alleviate any soreness I might have. 

Upon waking Friday morning, I did discover a very sore muscle, down the inside of my left leg.  I probably hit it on the pommel and pulled it as I came off and down onto my right hip.  My right hip was fine and so was my hand.  My back and neck were a little tight.  But all in all, I came out smelling like roses.

Seen left, a hawk that regularly hunts down near the pond.  I also saw a pair of deer walking along the new trail, from the pond towards Allen's bridge.


I rode both Amiga and Zorro today, for about 30 minutes each.  Amiga had very little signs of soreness.  Seen right, Amiga and I look down the large switch back that the livery horses take on both trail rides. 




Seen left, Zorro and I coming out to the power lines from the new trail.  I only took him a little ways into the woods on it.  This video is of us just hitting the trail.  He did a nice job, considering it has been so long since he has been ridden.  I spent a lot of effort slowing him down though.



Maggie gets closed into the Mancave when we aren't home.  Stevie has run of the house.  She was lying here in the sun on Maggie's bed when I got home.


I got right to work planting grass seed for the remainder of the two hours of day light we had left.






Seen above, this old piece of netting was used on the steepest slant of the bank.  The seed is under the net.  Then I put dirt over the top of the net and some mulched leaves over the dirt.  There were lots of deer tracks near this part of the pond bank.  I hope they don't disturb this section.
 After dinner, I worked on this blog rather than doing my Bible Study reading for the day.  Ugh, I need to be bettered disciplined, to use self control.

In closing, Romans 12:2 says- "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing, you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  Don't become so well adjusted to your culture, that you fit into it without even thinking.  Instead, fix your attention on God.  You'll be changed from the inside out.  Don't let the culture around you drag you down to its level, let God bring the best out of you.  I pray, Holy Spirit help me not rely on the flesh, but to depend on Your power.  Pick me up when I fall, prod me when I slow down; and when I stray, pull me back into the straight and narrow path.  Help me to be better able to walk daily by faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment