Friday, April 13, 2018

Live In The Moment

To live in the moment - means to totally or completely immerse yourself in the situation at hand, without dwelling on something else.  You will have a richer experience and better benefit from it if, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, your mind and body are right there as well, and not worrying or thinking about anything else.
Zorka Hereford says - "To live in the moment, or now, means being conscious, aware and in the present with all of your senses.  It means not dwelling on the past, nor being anxious or worrying about the future.  When we concentrate our attention on the present we focus on the task at hand.  We give our full attention to what we are doing and we let go of outcomes.  Seizing each moment in life allows us to prolong its value and make it more meaningful."


Saturday 4/7 - It was a very cold, gloomy, and rainy day; with a little sleet and snow even.  I had nowhere I needed to go until 4:00, so stayed in my loungers until time to get ready.  I was at my computer much of the time and enjoyed the space heater and extra tea and cookies.  I think a lot of times, we indulge ourselves when life is unpleasant, to help us feel better.

When my kitty comes to snuggle, I stop what I am doing, and enjoy the moment.  I only get this lovin' a few times a day, so take it when I can.  Cats know how to live in the moment.  If there is a ray of sunshine, a cat will stretch out in it, enjoying each warm sunbeam.  There was none of that Saturday, so a warm lap was Monita's second choice.











Notice in the bottom right of the second photo, Joe has his own idea of living in the moment, napping.

I had bought this cat bed at the thrift shop for $2.95 and had hand washed the foam rubber padding and had it air drying in the sun for a few days.  I got the cover out of the warm drier and put the bed back together.  Both cats were quick to investigate, and Stevie then claimed it as hers... for the moment.


















This photo pretty much sums up our amount of accumulation of snow, although the decks did have some icy patches.

Patty picked me up and while she drove to Hebbertsburg, she pointed out these white things scattered about in the woods, all along the way, that she said were spider webs.


I knew Patty was right, but once parked at the Hebbertsburg Community Center, I got a closer look for myself.

The snowflakes were suspended in the webs, and some webs even looked like bowls filled with the white stuff.

We met up with Shirley and then Judy joined us.



We enjoyed a spaghetti dinner (with the proceeds going to the town) and soon the band (City Lights) got started.






The band played a lot of good music to listen to, sing along with, and yes, dance to.  Not very many people danced to some songs, but that didn't stop me.  If I worry about how I look when I am dancing, then I don't enjoy myself as much.  If I just let loose and move to the music, and live in the moment, I always have fun.  




During each of the two intermissions, the Sweet T's clogged two dances (video) and there was a total of three-go-rounds of cake walk.  Gene (the only male clogger) won a cake and shared it with all of us.  It was a very rich Butterfinger cake.

We left a little early and I was home by 8:00, with Joe soon to follow, from his poker game.  
Sunday 4/8 - I had tossed and turned, looking at the clock and maybe falling back to sleep, for over two hours, during the wee hours of the morning.  When I did finally get up at 7am, I felt tired.  The deer came in back and I caught a photo of one checking out the deer netting while munching on the corn.  She is in the lower right of the photo.







Once home from Church, I messed with placement of the 'new' cat bed.  The curious kitties always like to investigate what I am up to.  









The rest of my day didn't amount to much, but just because we aren't productive or making progress towards goals, doesn't mean time was wasted.  "Maybe the best thing to do is stop trying to figure out where you are going and just enjoy where you are at." (unknown)  I read, chatted on line, watched nature, and did do some household chores.



I had an unsuccessful visit to the gym because I just didn't have the energy and motivation needed to get in a good workout.  I only did about 1/3rd of my weight workout, and not even at full weights.  I thought I would pick up speed once I got going, but it never did get any better.  Even though I didn't gain anything from it, at least maybe I maintained what I have been working towards.  

Three deer paid another late afternoon visit and this one was particularly interested in the ducks.  


One little wood duck sought refuge up by our deck.  
















The deer started following the duck and when it flew back into the pond, all three deer started racing around.  They went up and down the creek bed many times, jumping and splashing and seeming to enjoy themselves and life at the moment.

Joe was off playing poker so I ate an early dinner (making a big tossed salad) and then took Maggie on a nice long walk.  It wasn't quite as cold and damp as it had been most of the day.
Monday 4/9 - was a much more productive day for me.  I rowed for 20 minutes before Ballroom Aerobics.  During class I noticed when I am not in the moment during a song, and my mind wanders, I really mess up.   




The music at Ballroom really got me energized and after class I did a great weight workout.  


When I got home I moved the cat bed again.  Stevie can't escape the curious kitten.  I notice the same problem when I try to nap.  





The three critters were lying in the sun, but by the time I took this first photo, a cloud had shrouded the sun's rays.  I ate lunch and rested a bit, reading on the floor in the sun (that came and went) while I let my hair dry.







I had Joe take my car into town for his dentist appointment so I could use the SUV.  I drove it into the remote areas of the Glade where we ride, so I could dig up some plants.  I was looking for a Mountain Laurel but ended up with three little juniper instead.  I also got a lot of moss.




I quickly got to work once I brought the plants home.  The three juniper got planted behind the bench to give it year-round screening.  







Some of the moss I also planted in this section.  The white moss is new, and I actually think it is a lichen maybe.  It didn't really have any roots, so I am not sure what it will do in terms of growing.  We'll see.


 
Next I planted all this spiral moss I really think is cool.  It had long runners I ended up just pulling up out in the woods because they really weren't well rooted in the ground.  









While I was working, my not so shy mallard couple came by in search of food.  There wasn't much for them, but they cleaned up what was left of the corn (video).  They were only about 15 feet from me.  Guess they figured I was too busy to mess with them.  They quack me up.









By the time I got everything watered, cleaned up, and came inside, it was 7:00.  I couldn't believe it.  It stays light so much later.  I like that.



After dinner, Joe and I watched the NBC’s live telecast of “Jesus Christ Superstar” which aired on Easter Sunday.  It had been performed before a large audience at the Marcy Avenue Armory in Brooklyn.  John Legend stared as Jesus, Brandon Victor Dixon as Judas, and Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene.  I recommend you watch it.





According to Variety, "Industry pros were quick to comment on the show’s ambitious staging, direction, choreography, cinematography, and camera work. The dramatic crucifixion scene was hailed as an example of great spectacle."  It was so cool the way the cross looked as though it were levitating in the sky as the entire wall opened up behind it to reveal another enormous cross framing the one Jesus was on.  

Tuesday 4/10 - Joe was off for Kentucky before 8am and I kept at a leisurely pace most of the morning.  The sun was shining, my feeders were full of activity, and it was a beautiful day.  I can sit at my desk and gaze out the window for hours.

I picked up Patty before noon and we hit a store to buy some birthday cards.  The selection process was kind of fun when shared with someone.

We got to Romo's early and were soon seated.

This was to be a big birthday party with Jan, Jean and Shirley all turning 70 within 24 hours of each other!  Seated at the table, starting upper right are Shirley, Karen (not seen), Celia, Jan, Judy, Michelle, John... and across the table Don, Cheryl, Patty, myself, Carol, Jean, and Deana.

Shirley and Karen
Jan and Judy

The wait staff was very patient with and good to us and we all enjoyed a great meal and lively conversation.

I need to remember to live in the moment at these times.  Sometimes I don't hear what someone is saying because I am already formulating what I am going to say next, and I miss out on jokes, important dialogue, and information.
Myself with Carol and Jean

Michelle, John, Don, Cheryl, and Patty














When the birthday treats came, things got even more lively.  The three waiters surprised the girls after we all sang Happy Birthday and when they were giving them a sample of the ice cream, they smeared whip cream on their faces.  It was so funny and these 'old' gals took it very well.  It was all fun.


































After lunch Patty and I proceeded to do some shopping.  We started at Lowe's getting lots of flowers.  We also hit the Amish green house and Country Store, both cool businesses.  Last stop was Tractor Supply for cat food and bird seed.  I dropped Patty and all her plants off at her house and it was 5:00 when I got home. 

I took Maggie on a 30 minute dog walk and watered all my new transplants and newly bought flowers.  I got this bunny planter at 70% off (with dried up tulips in it) and put a succulent in as a replacement.  I will plant the bulbs later.  I went on another long walk with Maggie after feeding her and the cats.  My dinner was popcorn during TV time.  

Wednesday 4/11 - was another busy and productive day.  Photo of Dogwood in the woods starting to bloom.  With Joe gone, I take more dog walks.  One such walk caused me to get to the gym later than planned so I only had ten minutes of rowing time before Ballroom Aerobics, and then spent almost a full hour lifting weights. 

Once home I made soup for lunch using chicken, black beans, onion, cabbage, kale, and a can of lentil soup.  Then I walked Maggie for an hour hitting the Seven Bridges hiking trail as part of our course.















Maggie is a good sport, always willing to pose for photos.  No bridge pictures this time, just big rocks that the trail goes over and winds through.







I met Jan at the barn at 2:30.  I did a little round pen work bareback on my way in from the pasture with Amiga.

I have always thought Amiga's blaze looks like the state of Illinois.  So I took a photo while brushing her, to compare.  It's pretty close I think.  

Jan and I saddled up and rode around the barn area waiting on Kaylah and Ambrie who were finishing up chores.  Once they were ready, we headed out the back way to go into the Glade.
In this photo, Karen is on Behiem in the way back, Kaylah on Banner in the pond, Ambrie on Lightening, and Jan on Cash.  Kaylah had difficulties getting Banner out of the pond (video).  He was having a ball splashing and was probably fixin' to lie down.  It seems horses live in the moment too.











Karen was unable to join us, but we other four
had a great ride together, going into the Glade. 



The horses were really feeding off each other, full of pep, and ready to move out.  We had some nice controlled moments (start of this video) and some times of wild abandoned (end of video).














I got home at 6pm and performed the usual evening routine.  I did walk Maggie extra long, feeling a little saddle sore after 2hr 15 min in the saddle.


Thursday 4/12 - I was in crisis mode at 5:50 am.  My computer would not shut down so I was of course unable to start it up.  It had been running really s-l-o-w the night before, so I put it in shut down mode instead of sleep mode so it could up-grade some programs.  I decided to get out the little travel laptop and get e-mail and Facebook on it, but I couldn't remember Joe's pass word.  A cup of tea, some swear words, and several attempts at both computer dilemmas and they were both up and running.  Then, while mine was down-loading photos, I could read e-mails on Joe's.





I had rented a pontoon boat so went to Dartmoor Marina early to do the paper work and settle up with them.  Ken was very nice to captain the boat for us.  He has lots of experience with all the fishing he does.  Brian, Linnea, and Andy sat in back.



Joe, Patty and I sat in front.  It was quite windy out in the main part of the lake, but the temperature was 70 degrees.  In the coves and on the return trip to the dock, with the wind at our back, it was actually quite lovely.  What's not to like about being on a boat out on a lake?



Wanting to nap when we got home, after the two beers, wind, and sun exposure, I refrained from doing so and got busy in the yard.  I watered what needed it, and then cleaned up this flower bed.








Then I planted the new Mountain Fire Pieris I bought to replace a mostly dead one.  I transplanted what was still living next to another partly dead one, and together they look the size of the others (seen bottom right in second photo).  The new one has all the red leaves.





We were off to Spikes for dinner and to watch the Bruins ice hockey game.  We met (in photo left to right) Shirley, Brian (missing from photo), John, Linnea (out of sight doing the rabbit fingers), Ken, Joe, I, Patty, Andy, and Rita.  We stayed nearly three hours enjoying each other, the game, and harassing some Toronto fans.







Friday the 13th - the date was not going to intimidate me.  It was a beautiful day and Jan and I had big plans to trailer into the Glade.  Seen right, the sun coming up as I was putting corn out on the rocks.








I got to the barn at 9:30 and started preparing the trailer for our first excursion of the season.  Once Jan and I had all our tack loaded and new hay in the nets, we let Joe know our time frame so he could come hook up the trailer, and we went to get our horses.






We were in no hurry and planned to take our time to get Amiga loaded.  Well, she had forgotten some training from last time loading, and after quite awhile of trying to get her on in a peaceful fashion, I decided to be a little more forceful.  That just made her more reluctant.  I ended up using the long lead rope around the bar in the front of the trailer which gave me leverage when she tried to back up, and fairly soon she realized getting on was her only choice.  She quietly walked in.


Cash went on easily as usual.  Joe drove us to Manchester and Hammersmith where we parked to off load.  Well, before we had Amiga un-hooked from the trailer or the butt bar down, she decided to get off.  She always shoots off like a rocket, so hit the butt bar and then managed to go under it.  When she got to the end of the trailer lead rope she shot forward.  Her back legs had been on the ramp and half of her had gotten out under the butt bar.  She ended up really scrapping up her back on the butt bar when she came forward.  Ugh!!!  This photo is from the internet to show you about how high the butt bar generally is.






I calmed Amiga down and checked her over.  Once we had removed all the constraints, I said step back, and off she exploded again, only without incident.  She always stops once all four hooves are on solid ground.  I guess we need to go back to Christy's for more lessons.

We were tacked and ready to hit the trail in no time.












It was perfect riding weather.  We enjoyed the beauty of the woods and distant mountains.  These photos were to show the dogwood blooming.  


We walked our horses almost the whole time because we had planned a long route.  Amiga was very calm, almost pokey, and I wondered if she was hurting.





We rode all the way up to Kingsdown Drive and did the Amherst loop hiking trail that is mostly dirt road.  I had Jan take my photo in front of a friends house because I told her I would ride by some day.

At one point we gave our legs and our horses a rest, and got out of the saddle to let them graze while we had a snack.  









Later when heading down Marmaduke for home, we ran into Jim.  Just before this photo of our three horses heads, they all three had their noses together.


It was good to chat with Jim for a few minutes, and then we decided to drop in at Terry's.  










Amiga says hi to Donkey and Sunny.  

We took the power lines back towards the barn, rather than the Holly Trail because Amiga had started to kind of favor her front right leg.  At this point we came upon a livery ride, and waited for them to pass (video).  


Once to the barn, I treated Amiga's scrape on her back and gave her a Bute for any swelling and pain.  Then Jan and I took our horses to an area with long grass and let them graze 15 minutes before putting them in their stalls.  We had been in the saddle 3 1/2 hours, not counting our 'lunch' break.  Even though we can't always completely control our horses, we still really do enjoy being with them.   





I got home at 5:30 and Joe said we had been invited to join Lisa and Nolan for dinner at Stonehenge.  Part of living in the moment is to do things spur of the moment.  We had a wonderful meal out on the back porch overlooking the golf course and it was great to catch up with these two friends.


We still watched both Survivor shows as originally planed but then it was quite late by bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment