Friday, January 31, 2020

Horses Too

Cats aren't the only good therapy, horses are too.



A few of the many things equine therapy can do, is help build confidence, trust and empathy, problem solving skills, emotional awareness, impulse control, communication, strength, balance, and many other motor skills.








Saturday 1/25 - I enjoyed my predawn walk with a light snow falling, and all the roof tops and cold surfaces were white with the light dusting.


I went to the gym in the morning and the barn in the afternoon.

I rode bareback, just having Amiga walk around and graze quite a bit.


I was so glad to see good improvement in her sore.  I again washed it with soap and water and treated it with triple antibiotic.


I was not happy that she has more bites on her neck, some that I also washed and treated with the triple antibiotic.

Every time we get a new mare in the field (which has been just about a monthly occurrence since September) there is drama, jockeying for rank, and injuries.  I hate it.






Dinner was enjoyed at Reds with Shirley, Ana, Patty, Yvonne, and Joe.  And of course there was some dancing to follow (video).


Sunday 1/26 - I would much prefer a sunny day in the low 30s than a very cloudy, damp day in the mid 40s, which was what we had.  Throughout the day I kept getting chilled, especially my  hands.
Can you see who I was watching fish?








The Great Blue Heron. 

Well, I pretty much failed on every aspect of my new years resolution goals, except I made it to church and later had a very nice ride on Amiga.




Mama Styx and Babe were at it again.  I guess they call this cat's play (video). 


Monita and Maggie lounging next to me, by the fire.





I was glad to see Amiga's sore continuing to look better. 
I rode 95 minutes and went 2 1/2 miles.  I did let Amiga graze for quite awhile.






Some parts of the trail were fairly dry, other areas were quite mucky.






I kind of went on a junk food binge most of the day.  Unfortunately, the sugar I consumed outweighed the nutritional foods I ate and I am sure I took in more calories than I expended with exercise.  But I enjoyed most of my day, reading by the fire, napping, and extra time at my computer.

Monday 1/27 - With a drizzly rain all morning, it was hard to get motivated to go to the gym.  I had wanted to lift weights before Line Dance and Zumba, but didn't get there in time.  So I felt weak and tired doing my weight workout up until lunch time.

The afternoon was spent with a trip into town to meet at Arby's with Shirley, Patty, Judy, and Marci for last minute cruise planning.  I hit Walmart and then went to the barn on my way home.


I love Amiga's eyes when she is relaxed.  They are so kind, gentle, and sweet.


My main purpose for stopping at the barn was to check Amiga's wound.  It looked dirty, (out of focus photo) so I washed it well (second photo).
 

Because I was concerned about it getting infected, I put on triple antibiotic ointment again.  I had used Wonder Dust the day before because it is good on infected lesions, abrasions with capillary bleeding, and it controls tissue granulation.  Once home and looking at the first photo I then got to wondering if it wasn't the purple/gray powder that made her wound look dirty.  I started to second guess myself on washing the wound (this the third day to do so) because it did start it bleeding again.
Ugh, horses too, can be a great cause for concern and worry.

Tuesday 1/28 - I read from 2 - 5am, toasty warm with blankets, a cup of tea, and the fire going.  Waking again at 7am I felt as foggy as the air outside.














The deck was slippery with frost, but it was pretty, and the ducks greeted me when I took corn down to the rocks.







These photos were taken in the afternoon of the gunk (mostly leaves but also sticks and mud) that have settle in the curve of the creek.


By 9:00 the sun was attempting to break through the clouds, and the fog was mostly dissipated.

I finished up one last game of solitaire while drinking a third cup of tea.  Then I got to the morning's business, looking up detailed information about our four excursions, what to expect, and planning what to pack.


I did a Zumba class before lunch and then got to work in the yard.  Joe moved the remainder of the mulch down back.  I am going to need to re-seed this area in front that the pile killed, having sat there for six weeks.








I finished mulching this bed, first having to remove a lot more leaves that had blown into it from the golf course.








I like the contrast in these two photos of the shadows cast by the sun and then not, when it was behind clouds that continually drifted across the sky all day.















To finish off the remainder of the mulch pile, I had Joe dump the last several loads on this path that leads down to the bench on the rock.  As I was raking out the rest of the mulch and removing larger sticks that came with it, I got a call to sub in Bunko.














I still needed to get to the barn.  I had planned to go for a long ride, but didn't have time, so just sat on Amiga bareback, letting her graze quite a bit, and having her walk around the various areas out front.
Amiga's wound showed a little improvement.


There were twelve of us ladies at Bunko.  I got there in time for a quick taco before the game began.  When you get this many 'girls' together, you can be sure there is plenty of laughter, stories, and fun.

Wednesday 1/29 - While on the deck filling a bird feeder, the ducks were up eating corn off one rock and the deer 20 feet away eating corn off the other rock.
















Babe was getting into trouble as usual.  She had just taken a swipe at this plant hanging above my desk.

I was at the gym by 9am, home for lunch at 11:30, and then puttered around a little bit. 

I moved this beautiful painting from our dining room to above our mantel where it is showcased better.  It was painted by Britney's Guatemalan father Carlos and gifted to Joe and I by him when we were visiting her in Guatemala June of 2010.  I still hold it dear to my heart.


















I met Jan at the barn and we rode for 90 minutes.  Kaylah joined us out front and horsed around with us.





Amiga was more wound up than she has been during our last several days of riding.  She gets this way when other horses are around. 

Here is a close up of this plant growing up the inside of the fence post I was trying to show in the first photo.  Amazing adaptability.


Amiga's wound continued to improve, for which I was very thankful.

The cloudy, damp weather made me too cold again, so my hot shower was extra long and then I sat here at my computer with the space heater on until bedtime.
Thursday 1/30 - The day wasn't a total loss, even though it felt like it.  I did a Zumba class and the elliptical, had a late lunch, and then sat in front of the fire and read.  I was cold and my good book is nearing it's end in an exciting conclusion.  

All four of the cats joined me by the fire for awhile.




Monita and Stevie stayed and napped with me.

I had planned to rake leaves but just couldn't get motivated when I woke back up.  I did start preliminary house cleaning in preparation for the kids coming for a visit this weekend.

Friday 1/31 - It was a busy and productive day.  The cats continue to enjoy playing in the tent.  Babe and Mama Styx, who still have their front claws, have managed to rip three sizable holes in the tent.  Now they have escape routes in the back.








Stevie catching Styx peaking in one of the holes.


Monita comes to check out the action.  They are all great entertainment and a big distraction for me, and they are great at entertaining each other.





I went to Food City after the gym.  Once home, I ate a late lunch while I got supper started in the crock pot and finished a load of laundry.

Allen was greeted by Maggie while Joe raked leaves out of the front ditch and I was leaving for the barn.





I enjoyed riding with Jan and Patty.  It was 50° out but the wind was cold as we did some obstacles in the front yard.  Jan and I hit the trail (which was protected from the wind) and then rode around in some of the fields. 



This out of focus photo shows Amiga's wound healing progress.  It is dry and scabby now and looks dark because of the Blue Lotion I have put on it the past few days.




I had invited Patty to join us for dinner because Dan and Val were going to be here to eat.  But they got a very late start, so Joe, Patty and I ate without them.

The kids arrived just after 9:30.  We got them and Tango settled in, and then we all hit the hay fairly soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment