Thursday, February 13, 2020

Ducks In A Row

Before leaving for eleven days, there were a lot of ducks I needed to get lined up, including Joe, ha ha ha.

Saturday 2/8 - I had stayed up later than usual, watching a long movie, so the sun was up before me, and I was able to enjoy a pretty sky on our first walk of the day. 

I literally spent almost the whole day at my computer.



Can you see the deer?  She is just behind the distant sand trap.  She watched Maggie and me as we walked the cart path, all the way down and around the hill.

My computer work involved organizing files and adding notes to my phone as I went through numerous lists of good dance songs.  I now have ten folders of different genre of music and they contain from 5 to 25 songs in each folder.  With this 'duck lined up,' I felt ready to go on the cruise, and request songs anywhere we go dancing.

Before dinnertime, I did take Maggie on a long walk of the golf course, since I hadn't gotten to the gym.

This photo shows the deer silhouetted at the top of the hill once Maggie and I were down near the bottom of it.  And below is a close up photo.







Coming back towards home, we walked to the 17th green across the pond so I could see (and photograph) what the creek looked like from over there.








Look at all the newly deposited sand where the creek enters the pond.





I think the green oasis is a nice contrast with the mulched woodland hillside.







Our house really is much too big.  It is a lot larger than I wanted, but the location is fabulous. 

The new book I started has gotten exciting, so I read much later than usual.


Sunday 2/9 - It was a sunshiny day.  Styx enjoyed basking in it.  This second photo of Babe up in the hammock, shows how black she is on her back side.










Looking at Babe from the front, she has a lot of white on her neck, abdomen, and feet.




After Church, it still felt quite cold and windy, so I waited till 1pm to go to the barn, letting it warm up a little more.  However, the barnyard and surrounding area always seems to be the windiest.




I didn't ride long because the wind was quite chilling.  In the woods it was warmer, but the trails were just way too wet and muddy.  I found some relief from the wind in the pasture across the street.  I took this photo of Amiga's almost healed wound while I was off of her to open the gate.  You can see that the sore is right where the reins hit her neck, and they kind of rub on it. 



I had forgotten about a dinner date, so didn't have time to go to the gym, but I did go down back, walking the creek upstream, and removed the logs, sticks, and leaves that had dammed it up in three places.  This was in preparation for more rain that was coming.

I took this sunset photo on the way to Reds.




Joe had come home a day early from a losing weekend of poker, but he opted not to join us.  Micki was heading back to CA, so Sherri, her parents Bob and Joyce, and her sister-in-law Mary were all there to wish Micki safe travels.  We had a wonderful time talking and laughing.  The waiter accidentally brought me a second beer which I had not ordered, so it was complimentary.  I was a tad tipsy, and tipped him big.  😏

Monday 2/10 - Rain, rain, and more rain; continuous, often pelting, relentless.  It was a cold, damp, 44° day.  And the creek was over it's bank again.

To make the day even gloomier, I came home to this => after 3½ hours at the gym.  I am guessing it was Stevie, because she is the only cat I have seen who can get up on the mantel, by way of the TV and then across the shelves between the TV and the fireplace to get to the mantel.






My decor just isn't the same without the second stag.  Bummer.  Another damper to the day was my lovely duckling Joe.  He came home from Indiana with a cold, that woke me several times during the night, and seemed to be getting worse as the day progressed.  It was reminiscent of what he had had, before he came down with the flu and then pneumonia at Christmas.  Ugh!!! 

Tuesday 2/11 - The rain came down all night and continued through the morning. 
A friend of a friend took these three photos (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) and posted them on Facebook.  This is life (weather) in Tennessee, literally!  By the end of the day Monday, I am guessing her back yard looked like Friday's photo again.



 
This doe was waiting for me to bring the corn down.


So were the ducks.


And the winner was the doe.
I felt kind of bad for the ducks, but there is a lot of muck in the pond they can fish for.






I started packing with earnest, getting all the non-clothing items gathered together.  Then I had to figure out what clothes to wear, mixing and matching some for different outfits, and trying most things on to be sure they still fit.  I did a load of laundry and had to mend one thing, but got everything decided on.

After a late afternoon trip to the gym, I started planning for pet care.  The rain had stopped and it got very foggy.


Wednesday 2/12 - Morning playtime in the tent...  Notice the big rip in front of Babe.

And it's no wonder it is ripped up.  Look how she plays.

Her playful attitude and spirit get all the cats going.



While Monita is playing with Babe's tail, Mama Styx comes over to be sure Babe is okay. 


Stevie who was watching from in the tent then puts pressure on Mama Styx while Monita comes over to see me and get a toy.




There are still cat fights, but not bad.  Sometimes Monita punches and hisses at Babe.  Styx goes after Monita and Stevie goes after Styx.  Usually Babe just frolics and plays, pounces off the walls, runs over or around the three adult cats and Maggie.  She likes to be chased, and for the most part, is unaffected by the others.


I skipped Line Dance and Zumba and went to town instead.  The purpose of my trip was to get pet supplies.  After Walmart, I hit some thrift stores, getting a paperback and smaller backpack for the cruise.  I eventually ended up at a sporting goods store (next to Tractor Supply where I get one of my dry cat foods).  I bought 1½ swimsuits (two tops and a bottom) because mine are a tad worn.  Since they get a lot of use because they are my 'work' uniform, I could justify this purchase, and I got them at 75% off.  Then I thought I'd look at some boots, and yep, I had to buy these.  I absolutely love the design and they fit great.  I wish the toe was more rounded, but I got them at a good price and will see if I can get used to the pointed toe.  This was not a necessary purchase, but I told Joe it could be my Valentine gift.    



I'd like to think that I’m an easy keeper, I am  definitely a cheap date, two beers and I am dancing on the tables.  I’m also low maintenance, I don’t buy a lot of clothing and plenty of it comes from thrift stores.  I don’t wear makeup or nail polish.  I don't have to have a different purse and shoes for every outfit.  I’m not a girly girl.  But then, when I think about my monthly expense for having a horse, I take back the 'I am cheap to keep.'  I spend more on shoes for my horse per year, than I do on shoes for myself, even with my boot craze. (Four pair isn't too many.)
I got home to this => another breakage due to cats.  This gift from Dan, he got me in Kuwait, had a glass insert that I put a candle (in a little glass container) inside of.  The fall to the floor broke both the glasses.  😓

Karen came over to get cat care instructions and then I went to the barn to give Amiga a Prevocox in preparation for the farrier.  I got her legs and feet all cleaned up and then decided to ride her around the barn for a little bit (video).  It was windy and rainy outside.  Look at her mane blowing in this photo when we took a look out the door.  Soon after I got home it really stormed.

Joe and I watched the beginning of this season's Survivor.  It is their 20th year, 40th show.  The cast (contestants) are all winners from past shows, 10 men and 10 women.  There are some new twists and it was fairly intense from the start.

Thursday 2/13 - I was at the barn at 7:30 to get ready for the farrier.  I had cleaned Amiga up the night before, but Zorro was a mess.  Brushing off all of the dirt sure makes a difference. 




Zorro went first.  Another horse went after him, giving me time to turn him out and get Amiga from her stall.



Amiga has been barefoot on all four, but got shoes put back on, on her front.  She was being a bit difficult, wanting to take her foot away from the farrier and set it back down on solid ground.  In this photo, she is checking out the farrier's 'box' of tools.

Once home, I had a late breakfast.  Patty dropped by to drop some stuff off and then helped me hold the cats while I cleaned ears.  The kitten's ears were really bad and she was a handful.  I don't know how mama ducks get their babies to stay in-line.  I sure struggle with all my fur babies.

Babe resumed her nap on the couch and I got to work finishing this blog and finalizing packing.  I still had several decisions to make about which things to bring.  Even something as simple as a water bottle, required careful thought.


Look at Babe's cute toes, on such big feet and long legs.

The two hours I spent at the gym reaped a great workout.  I knew I might not get another one in for a few days, so I really pushed myself.  Also, Elaine (a friend and body builder) helped me with a really great abdominal exercise.


After dinner, I decided to make a quick trip to the barn to give Amiga another Prevocox, just in case the farrier work might have made her sore.  I also, with permission, put a small bag of trash in the dumpster out there.










Packing (actually putting everything in the suitcase) took longer than expected because I was not quite as organized as I thought.


It didn't help that the cats kept getting in the way and playing in my neatly sorted piles of stuff. 

I did decide not to take my new boots because they hadn't been 'test driven' on the dance floor.  At 10pm, the suitcase was packed and weighed in at 35 lbs. 

By day's end, I was ready to go on our cruise.  In reality, I think the hardest duck to get lined up is myself.  I am just too free spirited, sporadic, and a big procrastinator.

No comments:

Post a Comment