Friday, September 11, 2020

Choices

This week I chose to break some of my Covid-19 quarantine rules.  Actually, I had started getting a little loose with my decisions the end of last week, going to Beef and Barrel for karaoke and dancing.  There were too many fun things planned for the holiday weekend and this would be the last chance for many summer activities this year.  And, I was tired of being restricted.  Besides, the rate of contacting the virus has been low here in Cumberland County (especially Fairfield Glade) since the beginning of restrictions, so I still felt fairly isolated and protected from it.  I just hoped my decision to go out and have some fun wouldn't bite me in the butt.













Our lives are full of choices, some that have a big impact, and others that aren't so important.  Some choices we are glad we made, others we regret.  There are choices we can be proud of, but others may haunt us forever.

“Every choice comes with a consequence. Once you make a choice, you must accept responsibility. You cannot escape the consequences of your choices, whether you like them or not.”  Roy Bennett


Saturday 9/5 - A sleeping pill assured I got a great night of sleep, and I didn't actually get up until 7:30.   When I was just finishing up my computer doings, Joe reported having a safe but loosing night at the poker table, and had arrived in Normal by 11am.

How much is that kitty in the window?






Babe was kind of caught between the sun room (old porch) window and the door to the living room that I have permanently propped open.  Mama Styx and Monita were looking into the dilemma. 

It was a cold morning, having gotten down to 55° overnight.  I put on extra clothing and you can tell even Maggie was feeling cold, all cuddled up on her dog bed.

I went to work early, leaving my dinner in the pool office fridge.  And then I completed a two mile hike for the Marathon.  I did it in 30 minutes, choosing to jog about half of it.  Maggie was not with me because  I was going straight to work.  The hike started from the Dorchester Clubhouse parking lot.  It felt good, although was taxing to my heart and lungs, to move out faster than usual.

I had 40 people come to the second shift, but only 20 to the third shift.  Once home and showered, I did several stretches in hopes I wouldn't be sore in the morning.


Sunday 9/6 - I had taken just ½ a sleeping pill, which gave me a great night of sleep, yet enabled me to wake by 6:45 and not feel groggy all day.

Maggie and I did a 3 mile hiking trail in 54 minutes, an 18 minute pace.  This included meeting or passing several other hikers, and taking a minute for a quick selfie.




Driving through the 4-way stop on the way home, the craft fair was just coming to life, with tents opening and people starting to shop.

I enjoyed some sunshine on the deck while doing some last minute tasks (like mending some things), before the parade.  I also had lunch out on my lounge chair.


I was at the barn by 2:30 and presenters were just starting to get their horses ready.  Amiga in the cross ties with big John and Henry, Jason's draft horses.  Once I had her hooves 'dressed' with a solution, I tied her back by her stall.  Then I finished grooming and shining her coat, mane, and tail.





Others took our place after we moved out of the cross ties.  And the flurry of activity was really picking up.  Patty can be seen working on Zorro.





Some people worked with their horses in the stalls.


Zorro is peeking out from behind his buddy Rocky.


Shirley got Gov. all decked out in his patriotic red and blue stars.









Once Jason had his team all harnessed and ready to be hitched to the wagon, he 'drove' them through the barn as a warm up.
















Before putting on my costume, and Amiga's, I took her for a ride to see the festivities.  The parking lot (the front pasture) was filling up fast, and spectators were setting out their chairs.









I returned Amiga to her stall and gave her the rest of her grain.  After joining in on a line dance with the festivities out front, I went behind the scenes (into my trailer) and got dressed up.  At this point, I did not have my cell phone (no pockets because I chose to wear shorts under my full length skirt), so the remaining photos are ones others took. 


I finished getting Amiga ready, and after getting in the saddle, Shirley helped get my shirt all fluffed out and situated.  I did a little more riding around in and behind the barn, and before too long, it was show time for Amiga and I.

I got this photo off the (video) Gail took, and this second photo off the (video) Kaylah took.




Amiga was reved up, but under control, and did a nice job, only breaking gait a few times.






Professional photographer Woody Geisler took these three beautiful photos.


















And these next two equally wonderful shots were taken by Greg Rydz.


















When it was time to exit after our presentation, I decided to lope off.  These shots were captured from the end of Kayla's video.



Patty had a great ride on Zorro.  He did very well and presented beautifully.  This first photo was taken by Greg Rydz and the second two by Woody Geisler.


















Karen looked great on Levi.





Jan, who actually started the parade, had a patriotic entrance on Cash, while carrying the flag.







Shirley had Gov looking patriotic also.








These last three photos, by Woody Geisler, show Jason's team pulling the wagon full of Standing Tall kids.  They were followed on horse back by graduates from the program.  The kids got out of the wagon and then all of the volunteers came out and were recognized.  This slideshow includes many more photos, but not in order. 

















After the parade there was a meet and greet.  Several of us rode our horses out into the front lawn to meet spectators who chose to come see the different horses up close.  Amiga did fantastic.  She stood quietly and calmly for over a half hour while people came up to photograph us, pet her, ask questions, and chitchat.





Once back in the barn to untack, I had to rid myself of the skirt which is so long it drags on the ground.  Some of the girls got a giggle out of my new outfit, with the shorts I had on under the skirt.  Once Amiga was cared for, I got back into jeans and enjoyed dinner on the lawn with many of the presenters and workers from the parade.  It was a beautiful evening under the sycamore tree.  When the donations were all counted, Standing Tall Life Skills Program received $2363.00!

My pet crew back home were glad to see me arrive to feed them a late dinner at 7:45.



Labor Day Monday 9/7 - The day started slow and relaxed.  There would be no laboring by me.  I debated doing another hike but decided to give my body a rest.  Joe arrived home at noon while I was out on the deck in the sun doing my Bible study homework.  We both decided the pool would be refreshing, because the day had heated up.  So we went after lunch, enjoying the cool water and relaxing by the pool side.


When we got home, I noticed Stevie's right eye would not open.  I was guessing Mama Styx scratched it because Stevie is often bulling her.  They don't fight, but Stevie intimidates Mama Styx.  When cornered, Sytx will strike out at Stevie.  There was no time, and my regular vet was closed, so I decided to wait and see how it looked in the morning.


The day ended with Mirror Lake Blast, and it was a blast! 

Standing under the pink light to give myself pink hair to show Courtney.


There were quite a few in our little group, including Patty, Karen, Yvonne, Margie and her daughter Erica, Brian, Joann, and Micki.  Joe stopped by for a little bit and ate popcorn with us, but soon headed back home on his scooter.

  Camera war with Brian.

Micki in her light up wings.  










Soul Soup was the band, one of the Glade's favorites, and ended up playing until 9pm.  There was a larger than usual crowd, and tons of people dancing.  I definitely got my exercise for the day.

Tuesday 9/8 - Not much to say for the day.  I spent lots of time working on photos and videos from the parade and getting Sunday and Monday's post written.  I also did laundry and a few other chores.  Because of this, I didn't get Stevie to the vet until after Bible Study.





First Dr. Dan numbed Stevie's eye, then he put a stain in it, and then he looked at it with a certain kind of light.  He said the eye was quite swollen and has a deep cut.  He said it is probably very painful for Stevie.  I was feeling bad that I have not trimmed the cat's claws nearly often enough.  Especially Styx and Babe's front ones, which consequently injured Stevie, have snagged my screens, some of my jeans, and probably elsewhere.


Once I got Stevie home she took a lot of time cleaning her eye.
I am to put ointment in it twice a day for at least two weeks.  But the vet said because the scratch is so deep, it would be best to go three weeks to be sure it has healed.



I proceeded to lie on the floor and read and then nap with Stevie nearby.






I never chose to get any exercise, and regretted it by days end.
My evening was uneventful and ended early.  But all of the cats did get all of their claws trimmed.

Wednesday 9/9 - Early to bed, and early to rise... 3:30 am to be exact.  

Stevie's eye was just a bit open, but still looked very sore.  She does not appreciate getting the ointment put in it.

Getting an early start at my computer, I was ready to get to work in the yard by 8am.

We borrowed Brian’s trailer with the intention to first haul his brush to the leaf dump.  

Joe also got a very large branch that’s been down at the Lutheran Church for three months.  He left with the brush and returned later with a mulch like top soil mix.


 






Meanwhile, I got to work in the yard, preparing to spread the soil and plant grass seed.  I cleared the one dirt spot of all the weeds and then decided to fix the border wall around the Hemlock tree (a job that has been on my list for awhile).  This took longer than expected.

Once I got the right side in place, I then started in the middle, moving the block in towards the tree some, while also raising them up a little.  Some had become unlevel because of the tree roots.






 

 


I had to quit by 12:30 to get ready to go to work.  The pool hours have changed for the rest of September, with daylight hours getting shorter.  My afternoon shift was now from 1:15 to 5:15.

 

 

 

While I was gone, Joe had filled dirt in along both edges of the drive.  This 'soil' was actually called mushroom mulch, and I wondered how well it was going to work for grass seed.  It was difficult to rake level because of many clumps.


Thursday 9/10 - I ran to the Conference Center on the way to work because we needed another roll of quarters.  At the pool, while getting the skimmer, I discovered where all the wasp (that have been tormenting us for many days now) were coming from.  Having the pool to myself before opening, I enjoyed scrubbing tile because the water was perfect with the sun (that was already feeling hot) beating down on me.




When I got home at 1:45, I wasted no time in getting back to work in the yard.  I needed to finish moving the rest of the blocks before adding soil and then grass seed.




I had Joe add the soil to where the block was finished while I worked around on the other side.



 

 

This is all the farther I got before I ran out of time, and steam.  The last block did not butt up to the concrete drainage ditch, so that still needed work, but the border was finished.


Joe had gotten a bonfire going and Patty had arrived.  I grabbed a beer and joined them, along with Brian and Joann who also came out back (in Brian's yard actually).  It was a lovely evening, perfect for the fire.  And the hotdogs and Patty's banana bread hit the spot.

Once our guests had headed home and Joe lit up a cigar, I too went up to the house to do my pet care chores and take a well deserved and needed shower.

Friday 9/11 - Always a day in history that will be remembered.  With a grateful heart, I thank and honor all our heroes. 





 

 
I did not spend a lot of time here at my computer, but was quick to get outside to work.  I wanted to get all the new areas seeded before the coming rain.  First I had Joe cut a concrete border block to finish the edge.  And then, of course, I decided to re-do a few blocks on the other end because I thought they were sticking up to high.

As usual, Maggie was my 'project' manager.  She likes to play, sun, and nap while I work.  I got all the dirt raked smooth, dispersed the grass seed, and then covered it with grass clippings.  As often seems to occur, I ran out of clippings.







The whole area I seeded and covered can be seen circled in red.  The dark spots beyond that is where I ran out of clippings.  It is irregular because I was filling in low spots in the yard.


Here are a few more photos, showing the newly placed border and seeded areas.



 

 

 


I worked another closing shift 1:15 - 5:15 and then hurried home to get ready for a girl's night out.  Yep, another one of my risky choices, but what the heck, I was on a roll. 


Mary, I, Fred, Connie, Sherri, and Pam; Micki hadn't arrived yet, at Beef and Barrel with Terry providing karaoke.


 

 

 




No doubt about it, we girls had a great time dining, dancing, and hangin' out.  I hit Walmart on the way home, but it was already closed. 
Ultimately, choices are ours to make, and the consequences ours to deal with.  Guidance, respect, and support from others should always be expected and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment