Friday, November 20, 2020

Unplug

Social media has 'saved' us during this pandemic, enabling us to feel connected to people we can no longer safely visit for the time being.  However, I think we need to unplug from social media a little more and reconnect with ourselves, nature, God, and even family and friends.

We have become tethered to our devices, but need to power them down completely.  Being “on” 24/7  isn't healthy for our mind, body, or spirit.

Take time to reconnect with yourself by unplugging from technology.  This (article) gives reasons and ways to unplug from social media.


In summary from several sources I've read, here are six reasons why you need to unplug from technology:
    Give your brain a break.
    Feel more content and happy with your life.
    Soak up the quiet time.
    Build your “Real Life” relationships.
    Get the sleep you need.
    Feel less anxious or stressed.

Here is another (article) giving ten ways to kick social-media-addiction.  Notice #9 talks about FOMO.  Years ago we named it "FOMS" - Fear Of Missing Something.

A different view of unpluging, as Britney will attest to, is to save on energy costs.  The energy and cost of plugged-in appliances and devices can really add up.  Unplugging these things could save you up to $100 to $200 a year.  And another benefit of unplugging your appliances and devices, is for protection from power surges.
 
Sometimes when my computer is acting up, I unplug it and then plug it back in after several minutes.  It sometimes helps. ... if not, I get Joe.



Saturday 11/14 - The sky at 6:45 am was very pink to the west.  This photo didn't capture it, but you can see how bare the woods are becoming.





My leisurely morning included a few hours working on the Halloween puzzle.  I finished all of the edge.  I have wanted to listen to music while working, but was unable to get the TV off of the Netflix setting.

 
I was at the gym from 10:30 - 12:30.  It was very empty, more so than usual.



Here is a panoramic view of the parking lot when I left.  Mine is one of four cars.  (The two employees were parked in back.)



After lunch, I read and napped on the floor in the sun for a little bit.  The cats and dog joined me for some snuggle time.


These are attempts at photos of the cats, who tend to compete for lap space.


I was a little later than planned, getting to the barn.  First I did a little trailer loading practice with Amiga, who did well.  I always groom her and get her leg wraps on before working with her. 

My attempt at a selfie in the trailer with Amiga.

Then I took Amiga on an enjoyable ride.  We met up with Polly and Jan in the small bean field.  After a large trail ride group passed through, I proceeded down the trail on my own with Amiga.

Once done ridng, I went back to trailer loading.  This time, I upped it a notch, moving to Amiga's right side and pushing on the center panel to move it closer to her.  She immediately became very nervous.  She was shaking and looked ready to bolt backwards.  I rubbed on her and talked gently, trying to calm her, but she soon gave in to her fears and was off the trailer in a split second.  I got her back on and worked at moving her feet one at a time, forward and back, and was able to end on a good note.


The internet was down, (one way to get me unplugged) so I finished the Halloween jigsaw puzzle. 


It is missing two pieces.  I got it used so didn't know if it was complete or not, but suspected the two lost pieces were under furniture somewhere here in the house.  I caught various felines, half a dozen times, playing with puzzle pieces, batting them around on the floor. 

Joe arrived home about 8:30.  I also got good news that Shirley and Patty had both tested negative for Covid. 

With Halloween well past done, I am ready to start Christmas cards, music, and soon decorating.  I don't know if I can wait on the pretty lights and decorations until after Thanksgiving.


Sunday 11/15 - It ended up being a day of rest.  It was extremely windy and rain was expected.  Starting at 7am, I did an hour of face time chat with Jean and Mom, Britney, and Cathy.  Britney is showing us her guinea pigs in the photo. 
As we were finishing up our conversation, it started pouring rain.  Below is a look out my sun room window with the wind and rain beating against the panes.

In addition to extra time here at my computer, I also got a bunch of little chores done, some which had been on my to do list for over a month.

Before putting the jigsaw puzzle away, I did a thorough search of the house, using my yardstick, looking for the two missing puzzle pieces.  The first place I looked was under the end table, next to the table where I worked the puzzle.  I could barley get the flat side of the yardstick under it, but I found a piece.  This convinced me that the other piece was also probably swiped by the cats and hidden (lost) under something.  I proceeded to look everywhere, finding a ton of cat toys that were also lost under furniture.  Finally the last place I looked, under the stove, there was the second piece.  Yippee!  The puzzle is now whole and put away in the box until next Halloween.


Mama Styx in one of her preferred spots, the back of the sun room couch.  The sun did finally come out, mid afternoon, and I enjoyed laying in it, on the living room floor, reading.

Getting sleepy, I tried to nap, but wasn't quite able to fall asleep.  I did rest my eyes.

Then Courtney, Britney, and I had a face time chat.  (7am was too early for Courtney)


Every day around 10pm, I'm shocked to find out it's only 6pm.
Night comes so soon and it feels late so early.

I didn't even need to change into my PJs because I had never taken them off all day.  I watched the 2019 Australian biographical sports drama 'Ride Like a Girl' since I didn't need to do any more computerizing (Joe was watching football).  The movie tells the true story of Michelle Payne who became the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup, an annual Australian horse race.  Even though I knew she was going to win, the race at the end was exciting and nerve racking.


Monday 11/16 - This was my seven year anniversary of moving here with Amiga, Kaysha, and Abbey.  I feel so thankful, blessed and happy to be here in Fairfield Glade, TN.


Babe playing on the cat tower by my desk.  This was actually later in the day.

There was a buck in back with a bird sitting on his antlers.  When he would move his head the bird would fly up, and then re-land on his antlers.  I wish I could have gotten a video or photo of it.




Our daughters had convinced Joe and I to both get a Covid test, so we made a point to get to the Cumberland County Health Dept. at their 9am opening time.  There was already this quite long line.  We listened to a Pod Cast while very slowly inching forward.  Once we finally got to the front door, we sat, and sat, and sat.  Meanwhile, the line next to us kept moving.  I finally rolled down my window and got somebody's attention.  Somehow there was a mix up, and nobody had gotten our information so nobody came to do the test on us.  They had us move our car out of the line up and then took care of us.  It cost us an extra 15 minutes of wait time.

Getting the Covid test took 59 minutes from start to finish.  And then if that wasn’t enough to try my patience, on the way home we got stuck in construction traffic.

A little bit later at the Dollar Store, I was ready to tell the clerk and man ahead of me in line to quit gabbing and get a move on.  Finally getting home, I decided I did not have time for the gym, and probably it would be best to wait till I got my Covid test results back anyway.  I still need to run to the library, post office, and conference center.  So back in my car I got, an off I went. 

There was not a long line at the post office, but the lady ahead of me and the postal clerk ran into a snafu and the clerk told her she would have to shut down the computer and start all over.  UGG.  All I needed to do was figure out how to mail Courtney‘s birthday card because I had put the stamp in the wrong corner.  I wanted to make sure it would still scan through and get sent.  I was able to hop forward in line and get taken care of while the computer was rebooting.  After getting the horses' Coggins test xeroxed at the Conference Center, I got home and realized I had forgotten to get my book and take it to the library to renew it.  Back into the car I got, a third time, and I was off to the library.
Luckily all these places are in close proximity and didn’t cost me a lot of time, but I was ready to come unglued from the frustrating morning.  I don’t know if unplugging can help you not get unglued. 

This house down the road had just put up Christmas decorations, and I was thinking that was a good idea.  We could all use a little Christmas cheer.  And, after all, one has to keep up with their neighbors, right?

The saying on my Dove dark chocolate wrapper - Laugh it off, was good advice for me on this frustrating day.  I had a big lunch followed by my chocolate, and was soon feeling better.


Joe and I worked in the yard for a few hours.  He blew leaves and then 'vacuumed' them up with the riding mower.  I did a lot of tree trimming (on the eight foot ladder) and also got several bushes cut back.  Then  I raked up acorn and sticks for awhile (the mower can't suck them up).  There is still more debris to clean from the yard and gardens.



I didn't get to the barn until 3:30.  Being short on time and daylight, I opted to just ride bareback and not spend a lot of time grooming Amiga.  I let her have half her grain first, because they were just letting the mares in, and then we hit the trails.  Actually, most of my time was spent going around obstacles in the front yard with Jan who was out there on Cash.  Riding my horse is a great way to unwind and unplug after a stressful day.  Amiga was finishing her 'supper' as I left the barn.

Tuesday 11/17 - This is Maggie's usual spot in the morning, keeping a watch over the backyard.  If it is cold, she sometimes lays in front of the space heater which I have been using lately.

I did some more little projects around the house until time to go to the gym.  I had picked up two more canvas frames at the Dollar Store, so put more cards on them and got them hug up above the first one I had done as a trial. 

In the first photo, Babe was checking out what I had been doing.  In the second photo, Monita is trying to knock them off the wall like she had done before they were securely attached to it.






















Below, from top of the cat tower down, Babe, Monita, Styx, Stevie (in the lower tire), and Maggie.

I had a very productive workout in a nearly empty gym.  But my big plans to ride and do yard work fell through.  It was very windy and just too cold for my liking.  So I laid on the living room floor, in the sun, loving on my cats and dog, who were also soaking up the warmth of the rays.  Spending the bulk of the afternoon there, I read and napped.


I did fill bird feeders and wash the sun room windows while up on the eight foot ladder.  What a difference in my view out of them.   


Wednesday 11/18 - I had pulled out a few warmer blankets for the winter, and was admiring this one that Courtney knitted me a few years ago.  Not only is it beautiful, it is very warm.

I downloaded and started on the games and activities of this year's advent calendar that Cathy gave to several of us.  But I pulled myself away to get some work done in the yard.  I proceeded to spend the bulk of the day (10:30 - 4:45) working on this flowerbed.  Here is a before and after photo, and then work as it progressed. 














Joe came out and helped me for a few hours, getting part of this stump removed.  He kept asking 'Is this necessary' as we struggled with the chain saw which was dull.  The stumped we had drilled into, and added chemical in the holes to help break down the wood, was still hard as a rock.  Joe said it was like petrified wood.  LOL  He is such a good sport though, helping me with these crazy ideas I have.


This before and after view of the stump doesn't look a lot different.  But I would be transplanting the yellow peony right up next to it, adding dirt and then mulch over the low part.

I hacked away at some of the roots with an axe getting some of the ones under ground that had started to rot.  The second hole I dug was for the dogwood I was transplanting.  I ran into several more roots, but they too were fairly rotten, and with the aid of the axe I was able to get a good sized hole prepared. 

I made a mixture of the dirt I had removed, adding peat moss and potting soil.  Then I went to dig up the tree.  The photo below shows a tarp over the boxwood so I had room to dig up the dogwood which I had planted too close to the house a few years ago... and now it's gone.














Digging up the dogwood was more difficult than expected.  It's roots really went deep.  Joe had to come help me get the tree out of the hole and moved into the new spot.  This shows where I had transplanted the dogwood.  It was getting quite dark by the time I finished with everything and took this photo.  Most of the after photos I actually took the following morning.


Next I dug up the yellow peony that had been out front between two azaleas for six years.  I moved it here from Illinois.  All three bushes were crowding each other.  The peonies dies back in the fall (which I had been waiting on) and I trimmed it back a little more.  Below is seen a close up and then the whole bed, after I had added the mulch.  Notice how the lower half of the stump has been covered up.












Here is a better shot of the dogwood in its new location.  Now it can grow as big as it wants.

I put corn out for the deer who came through in back just as I was finishing up.  I had forgotten to stop for lunch so was starved and made a big salad.

Joe and I had started a new series “The Kominsky Method”, about two old men.  We watched three more episodes (90 min. total) until my bedtime.



Thursday 11/19 - Before I was done at my computer (because I spent a lot of extra time with the advent calendar games) the golf course workers started clearing leaves from the woodland behind Steve's, Rodger's, Brian's and us.  This made me quite happy because the prevailing winds just about always blow the leaves from this area, into our backyard. 

Even with their big equipment (a tractor pulling a huge vacuum and this giant leaf blower seen below) they spent a few hours working at getting all the leaves removed. 


After a later than usual and a rather wimpy workout, I had planned to go ride.  Well, by the time I had lunch, rested on the living room floor, and watered all the new transplants, it was 3:30.  

I went to the barn, but all ambition was gone and the wind had picked up making it feel cold.  Seen in this photo, Karen and Patty, and the Icelandic Toffa. I helped with the bringing of the horses in, brushed Amiga when she was done eating her grain, and then came home.  I made a hamburger stew for dinner, which would have tasted better if the beef had been fresher and less fatty.


Friday 11/20 - Okay, at the start of the week and this blog, I suggested getting unplugged.... well, I have since gotten addicted to some of the games on this year's advent calendar and am not following my own advice very well.  It doesn't help that the days are so short and it takes awhile for the air temperature to warm up and be appealing enough to go outside to walk, work, or ride.

I decided to start decorating for Christmas.  After posting a photo Monday, of a house down the road that had decorations out front, and I asked people what they thought, I got all positive feedback.  Go for it!  Yes, we need Christmas cheer now.  etc. 

First I took down all the fall decorations and then removed all the safari decorating accents from shelves, walls, tables, and floor.  This also included lots of cleaning.  Babe was watching from the window shelf above the fireplace. 

Next I hauled out all the outdoor and entry way decorations.  Then the cats decided they needed to help.  This outdoor wreath needed to be redone better because it was actually rather ugly last year.




I don't know what it is, but Stevie (in these photos) and Monita like laying in the greenery.




Stevie was actually 'hugging' this little tree she had knocked over.  And she proceeded to fall asleep and take a short nap here.

Can you see what she is looking at in this photo? 

  


I have been setting some seeds out in this St. Francis statue.  It is cheap entertainment for the cats who I was trying to distract and get out of my way.


Early on in the cleaning process I had discovered a leak under the kitchen sink.  The emergency drip pan I had under the plumbing caught most of it, but there was still water on the cabinet floor.  So there was more cleaning that occurred.

I went to the barn a little after noon, tacked up, and took off for the Holly Trail to ride into the Glade.  With the leaf coverage and difficulty seeing the footing, and because Amiga has fallen on the big hill twice now, I decided to walk her all the way down and back up the other side.


I took this selfie of us halfway up the hill after the creek crossing, resting, as much for me as for Amiga.  She handled very well while being lead, going into the Glade, and later coming back.

I really enjoyed the undeveloped roads in the Glade, was able to canter several times, and appreciated the new scenery for a change.

Below, looking down a road and at the 13th tee box where the cart path crosses a road.













Patty was working with Zorro at the mounting block when we got back to the barn after riding two hours and 15 minutes.  I untacked, brushed, and fed Amiga part of her grain.  Then I worked with her on trailer loading.  Eventually I had Babs wiggle the butt bar while Amiga was calmly eating.  She was alerted to this, but didn't bolt off the trailer until Babs lifted the butt bar like she were going to attach it.  We did more work then, to end on a good note.  I also worked with Zorro at loading some, making good progress with him.


It was nearly dark when I got home at 4:45.  When taking corn down back, I noticed this large branch had fallen into the drainage ditch.  I cleared it out since rain was expected in a few days.


Thoroughly enjoying my day away from the computer, I did not feel guilty ending it playing more advent games.  Carol had e-mailed me her scores and gave me a helpful hint to one game...  the competition was now 'on' in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment