Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Betwixted Vacations

We had 4½ days between when we got home from Florida and when we would be leaving again, this time for Mexico.  So as you can imagine, it was a time of unpacking, laundry, and repacking for us and Maggie.  I also wanted to provide extra help out at the ranch for Jean before leaving her with full responsibilities again.

Friday 2/25 - It had been after midnight by the time we got unpacked and settled in and lights out.  And then because of the storm I didn’t get to sleep right away and woke a few times.  Therefore it wasn’t until after 7am that I got up, but still felt short on sleep.
I had a ton of catching up to do on last week's Florida blog post, but had to wait forever for updates and then immediately ran into troubles when transferring photos and notes from my travel laptop to my home computer.

Joe ran out to the ranch right away, to bring Maggie home.  It was still cold, windy, and drizzly (with actual snow flurries some of the time).  Babe was glade to have Maggie home to snuggle with.  

Some of you have asked about Pilgrim.  The lizard and crickets have not been spotted since the terrarium mishap.

I worked on last week's blog post, however there were some things that needed attention and drew my focus away from the blog and my computer. 
I finally decided I wasn’t going to make any more progress on my blog and I really needed to get to the gym, so got up to do so.

I was suddenly hit with fatigue.  I was so tired I felt the need to take a quick nap.  Ninety minutes isn’t so quick and by the time I woke up it was already almost time to go do chores out at the ranch.  So no gym today. 😔

At the ranch I checked and filled Wanda's dry food feeder and fed her canned food.  I mucked out the loafing shed and field around it.  The round bale feeder needed attention but I couldn't budge it or the hay inside.  It was freezing cold, very wet and muddy, and just no fun at all. 






I went to the house to get advice from Jean on how she had been doctoring Amiga.  She ended up coming out and showing me how to do it.  I can’t comment enough as to how helpful Jean is and how blessed we are to have her out at the ranch. 

It was spitting sleet when I left at dark.  After all the pet chores at home, I sat back down at my computer to work on last week's blog.  But I didn't last long at all.  About the time I couldn’t keep my eyes open a minute longer and was heading to bed, Poker Joe got home earlier than usual, commenting that his winning streak was over.

Saturday 2/26 - After ten hours of sleep, I woke up at 7am feeling pretty darn good.  But it seemed much of the morning had already slipped away.  Babe was snuggling with Maggie again, this time in the Mancave.  I got to work on my Florida blog, but then realized the day's rain was coming in the afternoon and I needed to get out to the ranch before it hit.  So rather than going to the gym, I grabbed a quick PB&J and headed to the ranch.  





Joe and I were going to work on the round bale feeder to get the round bale up off of where it had rolled and tipped the feeder over a little bit.  But he already had messed with it and his hip was hurting so he headed home.  I did a little more work around the feeder, mucked Amiga and Zorro's loafing shed and pasture, and drained water off the hundred gallon tank by the shed.


I had planned to soak Amiga's foot in Epson salt to draw any liquid, dirt, or germs out from under her sole through the abscess hole.

I drove down to the barn with all our supplies and Jean walked through the front pasture grabbing Amiga on the way.  Once I got the barn doors opened, I went back and helped her with Zorro.  He was really revved up, playing hard to get, and a little bit scary.  Jean calmed him down and we walked both horses into the barn. 


Wanda was glad to see us and since it started sleeting we shut the barn doors and I started the business of soaking Amiga's foot while Jean groomed Zorro.

We were both concerned about Amiga's foot getting too soft from being in a boot 24/7 (and her other foot, which also was in a boot to help balance her, was looking a bit sore from being rubbed).  I texted Dr. Perry, got the disappointing news that we needed to keep the abscess hole clean and dry, so we had to keep bandaging it.  Jean had done a great job so far.  


Above is a look at Amiga's soft heel and a cut.  And here is a look at a sore on the front of Amiga's hoof (by the hair line) from trapped moisture and the boot rubbing.  So we decided to go with poultice, vet wrap, and then duct tape.  We would leave the boots off so both hooves could dry out a little bit. 

I had a cup of hot tea up at the house with Jean before heading home.  I was too late to go to the gym so I got back to work on my blog while also finishing up some laundry and doing other household chores.  Then Joe and I settled in to watch a good movie, 'The Longest Ride.'
 

Sunday 2/27 - I finally finished and posted my Florida blog.  The rain was at long last dying out but there was no sunshine to be seen. 

I had lots of little odd jobs to do at the ranch so headed out there once it warmed up a little more.  Wanda is always so glad to see people.  She has finally grown to trust me again and will let me pet her.  By April I will need to start applying flea prevention, and will probably loose that trust again.  



I went up to the side pasture and drained more water off the overflowing stock tank again and also mucked the loafing shed out.  Amiga was resting her legs when I went out to the front pasture to fetch her for a bandage change.  

Patty came out to help me with it today, to give Jean the day off.  

Instead of the poultice pad, we tried a disposable diaper to see how it would work.  This (video) has great bandaging instructions.  My biggest problem is that I can't get Amiga's back leg between my legs so I can have both hands free.  


Jean surprised us, making us grilled cheese and soup, but Patty had already headed to Wildwood where she was meeting Karen to care for Jack and Mary's horses.  So Jean and I split Patty's portion.  



The sun had finally come out so we (Jean) took Parm for a walk.  He is a silly boy, has several spots he likes to check out, and makes a bee-line to each one where he then sniffs around before going to the next spot.  I don't think he is 'marking' the stump here, but it does look like it.  







Today Parm discovered how to get up on the cinder block wall.  He had been contemplating it several other times when out for his walk.  The only concern was that he might decide to jump down on the other side, so Jean kept a close eye on him. 
I think he liked getting a better view over 'his' domain.  




I had fed the horses and let Amiga back out of the shed and they were on their way to the hay feeder when they saw Parm walking on the wall.  Amiga went into high alert, prepare to run mode.  Silly horse.

I did a little extra cleaning at home, in addition to my usual chores, and went to bed at 8:00, unable to keep my eyes open.  Ugh!

Monday 2/28 - The last day of February!  YAY!
Jean reported a frosty morning at the ranch, but at least the sun was going to shine today.  She sent this photo of Amiga's bandaged foot to let me know the wrap had held up okay.  I like how the rising sun hits her on her leg and tail.  













It was a beautiful sunny day that I think the cats, dog, horses, and humans all enjoyed.


I finally made it to the gym mid morning, and was surprised that, after taking a week off, I could do my usual workout without any problem.  

I had gotten a new paperback at the library (a Patricia Cornwell) for my up-coming travels, so laid in the sun with the cats and dog and finished the last twenty pages of the James Patterson novel I have been reading for a few months now.  

  
Then I went out to the ranch.  There was lots of activity down at the barn today, with the weather being so nice.  Unfortunately, Rio has come up lame with probably an abscess, so Polly was out tending to it.  Below you can see his bandaged foot.  Susan, and Bonnie arrived just when I had, and horsed around grooming Cowboy for awhile.

When I went up to the house, Jean was out sitting in the sun.  She said Yvonne had been out in the morning to ride Maslo. 


I did horse chores for Amiga and Zorro.  When I checked the round bale, I was sad to see that it was steamy down inside; wet, fermenting, and even starting to mold.  Ugh!  Patty arrived and helped me with bandaging Amiga's abscess and then we looked at and discussed options for the round bale.

Poker Joe was out for the night.  I did some laundry and packing, which included trying on a few summer sun dresses and skirts.


Tuesday 3/1 - Welcome March.  After five hours of sleep, I woke at 1:30am and was unable to get back to sleep.  I eventually got out of bed at 2:45am.

After three hours at my computer, I was ready to get going on my to do list.  


I had an agenda for the morning, a list of things to do before our nine days away, so had asked Joe, Jean, and Patty to tackle the hay problem.  I am so thankful for their help. 

Joe hauled away four loads of bad hay with the tractor and this is the rest of it Jean was cleaning up with the wheel barrow.





They had moved the round bale feeder and had sorted through and put all the good hay back in it. 


With the first of March comes spring, which means time to start shedding the winter coat.



Amiga's foot had stayed clean and dry, so it was decided to let her go a second day with the same bandage.



And then this happened (Jean's video).  


The little stink pot!
She loves rolling in the pond and mud.  UGH!




















So later in the afternoon, when she had Patty's help, Jean changed Amiga's bandage. It was actually remarkably clean and dry.  Of course, the only wet spot on the poultice pad was right at the abscess, lower right in photo, near her heel.  


Maggie was enjoying being out on the ranch and 'helping' Jean pick up sticks.  It is time for a bonfire.






Once Jean got Maggie settled inside the ranch house, Parm decided to give Maggie another investigating.  We are hoping they become friends. 


Joe and I left for Nashville at 2:30.  We hit a big slow-down, with just one lane open because they were painting lines on the other lane.  


We got to Dan's with time to spare and had a nice little visit.  Pacho was using one of Ava's toys as a 'tent.'  Silly cat.  




It was great to get my hands on Ava, although it did take her a few minutes to warm up to me. 

Joe and I need to make a point to visit or Face Time with her so we aren't such strangers.


With Daniel and Ava loaded into our SUV, we drove to Cheddars where we met Valencia.  Unfortunately Courtney was on call at work and had some 'fires' to put out, so didn't make it.  








Ava was very well behaved.  She was really into chewing on the clip of her pacifier.  I was amazed with how dexterous she has gotten with her little hands and fingers.  







She enjoyed sharing bites from Dan and Vale's dinners followed up by a bottle of Mama's milk.  





What a very sweet family, loving couple, and wonderful parents.







Daniel was playing with Ava, and had lifted her high enough to see the people at the booth behind us.  They were probably smiling at Ava and engaging with her.




So then Ava was trying to pull up and get a better look at them.  What a cutie pie.

Dan's family went to their home and we went to Courtney's where we spent the night. 





Wednesday 3/2 - I was up at a reasonable 5am time.  Jean had sent this posed photo she took of Maggie and Parm together the afternoon before.  Looks like Parm has at least accepted Maggie enough to let her into his personable space.

I had pre-flight travel worries and was feeling a little anxious.







We were soon off to the Sheraton near the airport where we parked and took a shuttle to the airport.
In my next blog (in eight days) I plan to tell you all about our adventures in Mexico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment