Friday, December 16, 2022

Merry Mischief

Christmas is a time for joy, wonder, peace, love, and a little bit of mischief.  No creature manifests these attitudes better than a cat!  My cats are definitely mischief makers when they aren't peacefully napping in a cozy spot.  And in spite of how frustrating they can be, I love them and they are usually a joy to have around.
 
The following is not an original idea.  I read different blurbs (that I'm not sure who wrote) endorsing various Christmas Cat books and have altered them somewhat.


Cats are precocious and curious creatures, batting at ornaments, pawing at presents, chewing on ribbons and running off with bows.  They seem to enjoy Christmas in their own unique ways, as they alternate between calm and crazy.  We delight ourselves in these warm, furry creatures, even though we just can't seem to keep them out of the Christmas tree, off the packages, and from stealing bows, puzzle pieces, and even cookies.


Saturday 12/10 - I walked the dog in the dark and fog, ate breakfast, and computerized.  I walked the dog again as the sun was burning off the fog, had tea and cookies and more computer time.  I
walked the dog a third time before going to workout, but she was holding out (on her morning dump). 





Jean sent this silly photo of Zorro 'sticking his nose in her business.'  The sunshine was soon obscured by clouds once again.

I walked the dog once home from the gym, ate lunch, played with the cats a bit, and walked the dog again before leaving to go shopping.  Maggie was still holding out on me. 

 




After hitting several stores, I made my way to where Jan and Mike and another couple were parked, so I could watch the parade with them.  I had troubles getting from the west side of Main street to the east side because it was blocked off for the parade.


The only rain that occurred all day, started shortly before the parade began.  Luckily it wasn't more than a drizzle and stopped early on in the parade.  But it was a cool, damp, misty night. 


The parade began with lots of noisy police cars and then the firetrucks, as dark descended on us. 





And then lots of elaborate floats rolled by.  The pretty Christmas displays lit up the darkness. 











































The parade ended with all the horses.  This (video) was taken and shared by Heather Picard. 


We knew four people from Celtic Rose riding in the parade, and cheered them on as they passed by.  This is Emily, who was Elsa from Frozen, on Sky.

I scurried to my car after the last horse and hurried home to feed the dog and cats.  And finally, Maggie did what I had been waiting for all day, on our last walk before bedtime. 


Sunday 12/11 - I woke at 1:30 and could not get back to sleep, so my day started way too early.  Monita, the biggest mischief maker of all, keeps trying to knock down my little desktop Christmas tree, but I have it anchored to a nail in the wall. 







I did take a short nap from 5 to 6 am and then got started on this blog post, all the while Monita pestered me, validating my blog title. 

Church was later and much longer than usual because Shirley and I went to the 11:00 service which was doing their Christmas Cantata along with the service. 


Home at 12:30, I changed, had a quick lunch, walked the dog, and then headed to the ranch.  After doing chores up at our sheds, Jean and I collected Amiga and Robbie.  Jean was wearing these antlers, before putting them on Robbie, and Zorro went ballistic.  A little Christmas mischief was too much for him to handle. 


The horses weren't too horribly dirty because Jean had brushed them the day before. 




And we didn't even bother to tack them up, but just hopped on bareback.  It was drizzling and we didn't want to get our tack wet.  Also, we hadn't planned to ride long.  We made a few loops around in the barnyard and up and down the driveway (video). 

Then we had our little photo session down at the barn.  Polly took this second photo of Amiga.  She rarely puts her ears forward, so usually looks like a grumpy mare.  When we returned Amiga and Robbie to the corral, Zorro started freakin' out again (video).  














After
feeding our crew of three horses, I did a little puzzle working with Jean.  Then I came home to feed my crew of five (cats and dog).  Joe arrived home from his weekend in Nashville just as I was climbing into bed to read.  I was glad to turn the bulk of the dog walking duties back over to him. 

Monday 12/12 - There was cat mischief from sun up to sun down, and even in the dark of the morning and night.  I had set some bags of things to be wrapped on the table, and the cats were even into those. 








I had gotten this box of ornaments at the thrift store and was putting them on the balcony tree (which needed a few more to fill in some bare spots) and Monita was right there to help, or at least investigate.

Joe had put some store bought and wrapped gifts (he brought home from Nashville) under the tree and a few cats were quick to check these out.  They had already totally messed up the cute tree shirt I had put under the tree. 









Styx was pawing at the ribbon, while Monita was chewing on it.  Gotta love these little Merry Mischief makers. 

   














Well, I switched out the cute tree skirt (because the cats wouldn't quit trying to pull off the appliqued snow flakes, tree, and snowman nose) and used a Christmas blanket instead.  By the time I put the decorative (fake gift) boxes and Joe's pretty packages under the tree, you can't even see the blanket. 



Christmas is a time of peace - Styx enjoying the sun. 
It was a beautiful day outside, finally one with sunshine.  I had planned to do yard work, but had dinked around with more decorating inside, and then added to the front porch decorations outside. 
I did finally get to yard work, doing stick removal and raking more leaves out of beds where they had blown in from surrounding areas and collected around bushes.  








Rose had been enjoying the sunshine and watched me come and go down back with the bin of sticks and wet leaves.  She came for some lovin' when I sat down near her. 
 


I stopped yard work at 3:30 and went to the gym, completing a good workout and ending with a nice hot shower.  These next four photos I got from a video Jean sent me.  The neighbor's three guinea hens (two brown and one white) had come into our yard. 


By the end of the video the three birds had made their way into our shelter.  There was surely dropped horse feed they found on the ground.


During the bulk of the video, Amiga had come charging up towards the wood fence (and trespassing birds) not afraid to confront them. 



And the other three horses (Cowboy, then Zorro, and Robbie) cautiously followed Amiga towards these mischievous intruders. 













I had set up a card table for wrapping gifts up in the balcony, and also put some additional decorations up there on the table.  Babe found this a cozy place to rest. 










I cooked meatballs, mashed potatoes and corn for dinner and a little later Joe and I watched Survivor.  They are down to five remaining people and the show will end in a two hour episode next week.

Tuesday 12/13 - National Day of the Horse.  Amiga and I a few years ago, out at Wildwood Stables. 

After my usual morning routine, and lunch, I went out to the ranch to go for a ride with Jean. 



The sun had peeked out a few times, but on the whole, it was fairly cloudy. 










We covered four miles in a little over 75 minutes.  It wasn't terribly cold, but I still felt chilled by the time we got back to the barn. 





Joe had come out with Maggie, who was at the barn with Polly when we rode in.  Wanda was really trying to get some lovin' from the dog. 









Wanda kept 'head-butting' Maggie.  The dog is so kind and tolerant towards all the cats in her life.  She knows that these creatures can be mischievous and unpredictable one minute... and sweet, cuddly, and loving the  next. 






Patty came out and I sort of helped her with chores while Jean cooked dinner and Joe and Parm hung out in front of the TV. 


 





We had a delicious meal, thanks to Jean, and then our monthly ranch meeting.  I had Jean take this photo of my sweatshirt, which kind of went with this week's blog theme.

Joe and I started season two of 'Dead To Me' and then for some reason
(well actually I know that I had too much on my mind) I couldn't get to sleep at my usual bedtime. 

Wednesday 12/14 - I continued through the night with periods of wakefulness, while processing thoughts.  Rain had moved into the area around 3am, and was fairly noisy with the wind blowing and rain drops pelting the windows.  I was up for the day at 4:00.

I only took one photo today, so here are a couple Jean sent.  It ended up raining ALL day (and night) long, and we had an accumulation of over 3½ inches in under 24 hours.  Because the ground was already saturated, there was lots of pooling of water in yards and fields, and heavy runoff in creeks and ponds. 
 
I was at the gym from 9:00 - 11:00 and out at the ranch from 11:45 - 1:45.  When it was a driving rain, the horses sought shelter.  Poor Jean had to do chores in this nasty weather.  This second photo she sent to let me know all three horses were happily eating hay and sharing shelter space. 






The remainder of the afternoon and evening I did more decorating up in the balcony.  Among other things, I decided to set up this mini village.  I also organized unused Christmas stuff.  I went to bed earlier than usual since I was short on sleep, and didn't even hear Poker Joe get home a few hours later. 


Thursday 12/15 - Ten days left till Christmas.  Once I got my Christmas advent calendar jigsaw puzzle done for the day, there are now only nine sections left to do until it is complete (and advent is over). 

While puttering around, doing more 'deep' cleaning in the sun room and living room, I noticed movement down by the pond. 




It was Rose, on her way to get a drink.  Once finished, she continued on her way. 















I had been looking for some past photos and found some of Hobo (the other stray that I be-friended and fed for about a year until he disappeared when we had our new roof put on).  The ones on the left are Hobo (
taken March 2018) and for comparison, Rose on the right.  I wonder if they are related?
 


Rose doesn't have as much gray on her face or body but her gray spots are tabby stripped like Hobo's.  When I went out to put up Christmas lights, I took this photo of her in Allen's yard.  She had probably been laying in a sunbeam.  Hobo did that too on this hillside. 






I spent an hour on the elliptical at the gym, wearing my weighted vest for half the time.  When I got home, I caught these photos of Babe trying to snuggle with Maggie. 


Awhhh, the look on the dog's face.  Poor Maggie is never sure what to do about this cat or any other Merry Mischief Maker.

Joe and I dressed up a bit, picked up Patty and Karen, and then met Carol and Jean at Dynasty to enjoy Chinese cuisine.  From there we went to see Shirley's band Holiday concert. 







I didn't take any photos of our group, but here's one of the (ugly) blinking lights.  They alternate between red and green.  I always take them to Florida, but put them out front this year since there is no more big family gatherings in Florida over the holidays.  They look like something Snoopy put on his dog house. 

Friday 12/16 - The countdown to Christmas and excitement is building.  I always turn the lights on the tree when I get up, even if it is before 4am.  While getting my tea, I heard a commotion in the living room, and caught these two merrily making mischief, knocking over the packages under the tree and going after the ribbon and bows. 




After sun up Jean sent this photo of both our Paso's resting.  She said Amiga was actually taking a for real nap. 










Meanwhile, here at the house, Babe was again trying to snuggle with Maggie.


I had decided to wait and do weights Saturday, so skipped the gym and instead went to the ranch to ride with Jean.  Cowboy has been a happy addition to our herd of three.  Zorro is the biggest mischief maker, while Robbie is more the trouble maker. 





As usual, Jean was saddled up before me, and I got this photo of her up at the shop communicating with Joe.

There was not a cloud in the sky and the sun was warm, but with the wind and low 40's temperature, I was barely warm enough to be comfortable.  In fact, I never took my gloves off to take any more photos.  Jean and I did ride a little over four miles, taking a little over 90 minutes to do so.


Joe had removed the fencing from our side pasture since we have been keeping the gate open, and would be all winter.  With it gone, it really makes this field look much cleaner or nicer (less junky). 








After finishing chores, I warmed up and hung out in the ranch house with Jean.  Parm and Maggie know to 'camp out' in front of the gas wall heater where it is especially warm.

Here is sweet Ava who has learned to put on her muck boots all by herself.  This photo was taken from a video Dan sent, showing her stepping into the boots.


I had a little scare when I went to leave the ranch.  My car wouldn't start again.  But my lights and all electrical worked so I knew it wasn't the battery.  I have had a 'maintenance needed soon' light come on periodically.  So I figured I really did need to get it to the shop.  Ughhh!


After Ava got her boots on, she was dancing her way to the front door, ready to go for a walk.  She is ready for Merry Mischief.



I finally got the car started, not even knowing what I had done, other than sitting with everything off for a few minutes and then waiting another minute before putting it in gear. 




I was glad to get home and had a quiet evening with Poker Joe gone.  Although the cats do their usual, nightly bouncing off the walls, and sometimes Christmas decorations take a hit. 

With a healthy dose of mischief, mystery, and magic; it's almost as if cats (like kids) were created specifically for Christmastime.  Their fascination with all the ornaments on the tree and their appreciation of a cozy spot to nap, seem made for the season.  The way they alternate between calm and crazy echoes the way we all feel at Christmas time, doesn't it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment