Friday, July 21, 2023

Limit Two

Why do we have to have rules and laws that put limits on people?  I think it's because most people can't control themselves or only think of themselves, disrespecting the needs, safety, and rights of others. 
Y'all know I have been in the practice of limiting myself to two beers when out drinking.  It's all I need to feel good, and the third one usually makes me feel kind of yucky the next morning. 
Lately, two is also the limit to the number of activities I can handle in one day.  I can either work at the pool and go to the gym, or go to the gym and work at the ranch, or ride Amiga and go to town to shop, etc.  But if I try to add in a third thing, like yard work or cleaning house, I am just too wiped out.  I just can’t seem to fit in that third activity in the same day.  Energy restricts me.
I used to tell Joe no more than two nights of poker per week.  But then several years ago he started going three nights a week.  Because he was so successful, I just let it go.  Well last week he played four days.  Now what do I do?  He isn't self-limiting.

We have a two term limit for presidents, and really should keep the same rule for other political positions.  The government limits individual rights for the sake of the common good, and should limit their own rights (like salary and term length).  If every human being enjoyed unlimited individual rights, inevitably that one individual will exercise a right that either takes away from someone else's freedoms or endangers someone else.  We all need limits.

So if two's the limit, does that mean I can get a second horse, because Zorro doesn't really count as my horse?  Two used to be my limit on cats, but that didn't work out, so who am I to dictate limits.  I try to limit my computer time, but I go over two hours just about everyday.  At least recently I have learned to go easy at the gym and not push beyond my limit because the risk of injury just isn't worth it. 


Saturday 7/15 - I was hoping to get to the ranch to ride and also the gym before working at the pool but I was too busy here at the computer, trying to finish last week's blog.  I just had too many photos from our 'hayday,' that were costing me time to sort through, edit and upload.  I really need to figure a way to limit my blogging.  (It may have to be all or none.)  





I did make it to the gym and did the elliptical for 45 minutes, and then an arm and ab workout.  I always leave the gym feeling so much better physically and mentally.  I had to hustle to get showered, changed, and head off to the pool.

When I arrived at work, Mike said he had zero customers all day.  Wow, it had been kind of warm, not too cloudy, and the 50% chance of rain wasn't until the afternoon.  I had three customers show up early in my shift, and a half hour later, it poured.  We had torrential rain followed by lighter stuff, lasting about 30 min.  Then the sun came out and I had six more customers, two arriving shortly before closing time. 😒  So much for getting off work early. 
I didn't take one photo all day, so got these off a video Patty sent me when she did chores.   


Sunday 7/16 - I was up pretty early Sunday morning and finally finished last week’s blog and got it posted.  I had started a load of laundry and cleaned this lint from the drier.  This is what you will find left after a load of our ranch clothes when we have been moving bales of hay, which gets everywhere.

I met Mary and Jack at church, but Shirley was unable to make it. 




Once home, I moved laundry to the dryer and started another load, grabbed a bite to eat, changed into ranch clothes, and was out the door 65 minutes later.

Mary and Jack had a friend, Jennifer, who rode with us.  It took a little longer for them to saddle up because they had to do most of the work for Jennifer. 



I was on Amiga first and we just stood in the shade waiting for the others.  I offered to let her have her head to eat grass, but she was happy to just stand quietly.  
We'd had a break in the humidity and temperature, and there was a light breeze, so it was really quite lovely for riding. 





We went out the back as usual, and down the trail, with all horses doing very well the whole ride.  In this photo, we had stopped to decide which direction to go.  I didn't quite get the photo in time, when all three horses were looking at Amiga and I. 


We went right and continued on our way.  This was the longest ride I have taken Amiga on since January and she did great.  It really was perfect for riding, and the flies weren't even bad.  Although it did get a little warm just before we arrived back at the barn.

Zorro and Cowboy had come into the shed when I brought Amiga into the barn to tack up.  



The two geldings were still standing in the shed when we got back.  Silly boys.  They hadn’t fretted about Amiga being gone, and were just enjoying an afternoon nap I think.  After caring for Amiga, she joined the 'boys' and they all headed back out to the pasture.  Seen here they were walking towards the pond, and stopping to nibble on the way. 





I did a little more cleaning of hay from the shop and manure from the shed, before I was kaput. 
I got home, thirsty and tired, and used what little energy I had left to do my Sunday chores, which include watering plants and gathering and taking out the trash.  Once I finished the laundry and had all the critters feed, I baked homegrown zucchini with, onion and  Parmesan cheese. It was quite tasty. 

Monday 7/17 - Happy Birthday to my youngest sister Jean and also to my brother John.  This was Jean on Robbie, a little over a year ago.  

I had gone to bed at 8:30 because I was so tired, but then Joe woke me at 11:30 when he came to bed.  I could not get back to sleep, so I got up.  I went back to bed from 3:30 to 6:30, so all total, I got six hours of sleep for the night.  But somehow I just didn’t feel like it was enough.  I really prefer eight these days, and also don't like them interrupted.
 

I should have limited my hours at the computer today, because I really wasted much of the day away.  I was trying to get this new blog started and then catch up on it from the weekend.  And I took a two hour nap, since my sleep had been insufficient.  I did not get my 'butt in gear' until 2pm!  Scheesh!  I went to the gym and had a rather good arm and ab workout after 40 minutes on the elliptical.  I was saving my legs for a night of dancing. 

I dropped in at home to change and pack a cooler (two beers each) for Joe and I, and then headed to Mirror Lake Blast. 

These two photos were taken from videos off Facebook, of last week's event.  But tonight was very similar, except it was just Joe, Micki, and I sitting with Donna and DJ.  Soulfissh was the night's band and played some great tunes.  My legs got a good workout and I had plenty of fun.


Tuesday 7/18 - Two does not have to be the limit for golf carts, especially if you are an equestrian.  Golf carts are used regularly for hauling horse stuff, especially at shows. 







Jean and I have carted our saddles and tack from the barn up to the horse trailer this way.  And in earlier years the golf cart had been used to lead horses from way out in the back pasture, back to the barn. 






It got rather hot during my shift at the pool and I was glad to be done with it.  I would love to limit my days of work at the pool to two, but I have a three day work week.  Subbing for MJ, Nancy, and Diana, has caused several weeks this summer to actually be four day work weeks.  Ugh, that is too much.


I came home from work and showered, and then just wanted to put on my PJ's, but resisted and put on a cover-up I wear while deciding what clothing next to put on.  I was trying to muster up the energy to either go to the ranch, the gym, or work in the yard; but none of it happened.  When rain blew in to the area, I chose the porch swing with a good book, and ended up napping. 





Joe fixed fresh sweet corn and I baked zucchini with cheese for dinner.  We ended the day with the movie "80 For Brady" which was cute, although hokey and a little slow.  The Patriots' 25-point comeback against the Atlanta Falcons in the 2017 Super Bowl (shown near the end of the movie) was the most exciting part.  The Patriots trailed 28-3 late in the third quarter before successfully mounting five unanswered scoring drives throughout the final 20 minutes of regulation and overtime.  Also, the only turnover for the Falcons occurred in the middle of the fourth quarter. 
 


Wednesday 7/19 - I know, two should be the limit on cute cat photos.  Sometimes I can't decide which to throw out.  Luckily I only took two of Monita this morning and will include both. 











It was an overcast and rainy morning, making the day start as kind of a lazy one. 


Rain drops on the window blemish this photo of these two does and a fawn.  

I made it to the gym by 11 o’clock and had a full body workout after doing 50 minutes on the elliptical with my weighted vest.  It was 2:00 by the time I got home. 








The rain had cooled things off quite nicely, and even the humidity had dropped.  So after it had a chance to dry off a little, I decided to take Amiga out on a little ride. 

Amiga and I headed down the trail the usual route (video) with Maggie leading the way.  The footing was good enough and Amiga 'sound' enough, that I cantered her in two spots (first time since this lameness reared it's ugly head back in January).  Amiga did well, although definitely needs conditioning, but I felt good about our ride.  These photos are from the power line at Beachwood, first one looking up in the direction of our ranch and the second one looking down and sighting Wildwood pastures way in the distance. 

Once back at the barn, Susan arrived to do chores and Mary and Jack came down to chat.  With Mary and Jack, sharing half the chores because they have half the number of horses, and then splitting the rest of the chores up with Patty, Susan, and I; I only have two chore shifts a week (and am actually paying Karen to take one of my days).  This seems like too little, so I was wanting to pick up an extra shift. 

Tango was in the Mancave when Maggie and I got home at 7:15.  I wasn't expecting Dan to drop him off until later.  He was glad to see Maggie. 

Thursday 7/20 - I took this photo out the front window at 7am.  The impending storm had darkened the sky so much that my photo-sensitive lights came on.  The day proceeded to dish out several thunderstorms, and was rainy almost nonstop.  The pool was closed for the day, and actually so were some businesses due to some flooding.   



Since I didn't have to go into work, I went to town for my big shopping trip instead.  The dogs spent most of the day hanging out with Joe in the Mancave.  Two is a good limit for number of dogs in there.  

While at Walmart, I had decided, spur of the moment, to get my Covid booster since there was basically no one in line at the pharmacy. 
 

Nearly $300.00 worth of purchased stuff later, I got home and had a late lunch, craving some of the food I had just bought.  My big meal was followed by tea and cookies cause it seemed just what was needed on this very gloomy, rainy day.  I also ended up taking a nap.

When I took the dogs for an after dinner walk, I checked the rain gauge.  We had gotten five inches today.  It would be better if there was a limit of two inches per day when it is stormy.  But I guess it's not my call. 

I had a light super, just three hours after my big lunch and then sauteed onions with some ham and mixed it with all the beans for tomorrow night's potluck.  My shot arm was starting to hurt so I took a pain sleep aid before bed.

 

Friday 7/21 - I woke at 5am, actually feeling worse than I had the night before.  My body and head ached.  I had to get up to get Tango out for a walk because he had had an accident in the living room the first night he was here.  As Joe was getting up at 6:30 (very early for him) I asked him to cover chores at the ranch for me and I took an Ibuprofen and went back to bed. 



Ninety minutes later, getting up with an even worse headache, I was dreading my afternoon shift at the pool.  I had a second cup of tea and just sat here at my computer.  At lunch time I had a big breakfast, took a long hot shower, and was then starting to feel a little more human. 
 


Quite often these past several weeks, Rose has been seen on our front porch, napping on the padded bench seat.  
Joe was off golfing so I changed for work, walked the dogs and said hello to Rose. 







I was thinking a second Ibuprofen wasn't going to be necessary, and then I decided, why chance it, and took one before heading to the pool. 




Thankfully my shift was only moderately busy, and then an hour into it, a rain shower caused many folks to leave.  The overcast skies discouraged others from coming, so it was a light evening crowd and I was able to clean early and then leave 20minutes before closing because everyone was gone. 


I was thrilled to be able to leave work early because we were having a pot-luck and bonfire. 

Patty was weed-whacking when I arrived down at the barn.  I refilled some supplies (like Wanda's food container) and put this new trash can in place of the one I have been frustrated with for almost two years now.  Yippee, an easy to open and close can. 

Our group included Jack and Mary, Joe and I, Patty, Karen, Susan, Shirley, and Denise.  We all enjoyed a ton of good food and kibitzing around the fire.  Joe left early for poker.  Once I got home, just after 9pm, I had the dogs and cats to deal with before hitting the hay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment