Friday, September 15, 2023

Bond(ing-or-age)?

Most horse owners want to bond with their horse.  When your horse looks to you as their leader and gives you their trust (and cooperation) it can be magical.  When this bond is developed through love and respect, vs fear and intimidation, it is so much healthier for both.  Talking with my saddle sisters recently, we discussed the idea that some people (we know) have a horse as an object to be used, and they don't really love on them or bond with them.  Their horse(s) seem to be in their bondage. 

This got me to thinking about my connection with Amiga.  I bought a horse to ride it, not giving much thought to having a relationship with it.  But early on I discovered that a horse bonded with you is a much better experience than one in bondage to you.  To keep a good bond with your horse, one must continue working at it.  (Eight Simple Tips) to bonding with your horse. 


Some researchers have shown that (proof is lacking) that horses bond to their human.  I am not writing to argue the point, but to say, I have experienced a bond between Amiga and I, that is delightful.  But it is a friendship that requires constant work.

Slinger said "Having studied a little bit of horse psychology, and having the opportunity to be around horses, get to know them and connect with them, I've realized that the bond between a human and the horse is undeniably obvious and strong.  Like dogs and cats, horses often display their affection and their excitement for their human when they are in each other's presence.  What I find myself pondering... is does a horse actually MISS us when we aren't there, as a dog might?  Do they pine for our presence in the same manner?  Or do they live so much in the moment that they don't have the opportunity to MISS us, but are just very happy when they actually see us in that moment?"   

Saturday 9/9 - As a light fog lifted early, in the morning coolness, the red leaves of the little dogwood in front of our deck graced the green woodland with color and I was reminded that fall is coming. 










Patty had morning chores and sent these photos of the fog at the ranch.  It adds a unique beauty; or just looks a tad eerie.





In this second photo, Cowboy is closer and the two Pasos are by the red gate where Banner is hanging out (on the other side) with them.  He seems to visit with ours and I know he recognizes Zorro.  They were pasture mates for quite awhile at Wildwood Stables. 




Babe having some bonding time with Maggie.  I am never quite sure how Maggie feels about the lovin' that most of her cat 'friends' give her.  Sometimes she just seems to tolerate it, but other times she wags her tail. 









After extra time relaxing and doing puzzles on my computer, I went to the gym.  It wasn't a great workout, but I did do 50 min. on the elliptical, 45 min. leg weights, and 10 min. of stretch and balance.

I got to the ranch mid-afternoon and planted an azalea I had bought a few days ago, to replace a dead one 


Then Mary and I went for a nice ride together.  This time she rode Billy.  Amiga felt good going out, but later felt a little off.  Once back and untacked, I noticed that her heel bulb cut was bleeding again.  Shoot.  Amiga's soft eye tells me she is content, relaxed, and feels safe with me, so she is cooperative and easy to handle.  There is a bond between us.

After dinner Joe and I watched a western 'The Old Way' and then I hit the hay. 


Sunday 9/10 - After Church I worked on the jigsaw puzzle that we had started when the kids were here a few weeks ago.  Karen and I were waiting on the rain, to then go for a ride. 






I didn't take any photos of our ride (Karen's wishes) but we had a nice relaxing jaunt in the woods.  Amiga was sore off and (mostly) on.  Zorro looked and did well, except for a little buck when he had a horsefly on his butt.  I soaked Amiga's back left foot with the heel bulb cut and treated it, then soaked her back right foot and leg with the scratches and treated them, and finally gave her an Epsom salt rub for possible sore muscles on her front right leg. 




Once home, I contemplated doing some yardwork, but was hungry and tired.  These photos show just how unkempt my flower beds are. 







Poker Joe wasn't home, so I heated up a frozen dinner, adding some onion and cheese to enrich it.  




Before settling down at my computer, I went on a cat toy hunt.  With a yard stick reaching under all furniture (even appliances) I pulled out all of these.  Notice in the very center of the photo, there is a Christmas toy, a dead cicada, and a packing peanut.  Whatever works for them.

I ended up with an up-set stomach, tried ginger ale, and went to bed early. 
 

Monday 9/11 - A day of remembrance which marks the 22nd anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.  Nearly 3,000 people died in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.  Our badly shaken nation came together, in a spirit of sadness and patriotism.  We had a shared sense of anguish followed by a rare spirit of public unity.  The images from that day still haunt us.


So often house work and sometimes yard work make me feel like I’m in bondage to them.  But when I accomplish cleaning or yard work, it’s so liberating.

I spent six hours in the yard today, primarily trimming all of the lower suckling growth off of tree trunks that were blocking our view to the golf course and pond. 


First I wanted Joe's help in tackling a large maple tree branch hanging over our Leland cypress that the tree guys had not cut down. 

I hadn't realized that Joe was experiencing vertigo and could not look up without getting dizzy.  So he held the 15 foot ladder while I sawed.  I took several breaks to rest my arms.  We didn't have a long rope, so used an extension cord to pull the branch when it started pinching my saw. 




Once the branch was down, Joe wound up the cord and was dismissed for the day.  Next I used the 10 foot ladder (that I can move by myself) and the extension clippers and long handled lobbers and moved about the back yard, trimming tree branches.  I also trimmed the branches over the roof, off the dogwood by my office and the red bud by the screened porch. 
 

I filled my bird feeders hanging outside my office window, including the hummingbird feeder.  Later there was a hummer zipping around it (photo from my office window).  I planted grass seed in Brian's yard where I had filled in the holes from the tree being cut down weeks ago.  I also did some weeding and watering.

I had eaten an early big lunch, well really it was like a late breakfast at 9:30.  So by 4pm I was exhausted and starving.  I ran to Food City to get some needed supplies and also a carry out dinner that I split with Joe when I got home.  




Oh, and I bought a yellow mum which I planted between the two purple asters by the sidewalk, after the cats, dog, Joe and I had eaten dinner. 







Finally showered and in my pj's, I watched this documentary which showed the four coordinated attacks and
key aspects of the nation's response as the gravity of the situation unfolded.  Through official FAA, Airline, Military and NYC Fire Department recordings, as well as archival footage and reenactments; it showed flight attendants, aviation authorities and the President grappling with a nightmare.  I observed and reflected on this dark day in American history as those moments were recounted, minute by minute.

I had never made it to the gym, but was feeling sore in several places from all my sawing, clipping, and climbing up and down the ladder.  I took a pm pain/sleep aid. 
 

Tuesday 9/12 - I had put all of the cat ball toys in this ball toy retriever thing.  Monita spent several days getting them out of there and proceeding to lose them again under furniture. 


  





The China hutch is one place she can get under to reclaim the balls that have rolled under there. 


Getting balls out from under the bed and night stand are much more problematic.

I had a good ab. and leg workout, got home after 1:00 and had a big protein lunch sitting out on the porch swing.  Then I debated between going for a ride or finishing my tree trimming work in the yard.  While I was giving myself a pep-talk, it soon clouded up, and was calling for rain at 3pm.


That clenched it, I decided to stay put.  I was reading when it started sprinkling and soon took a nap.  I had gotten cold and was so groggy upon waking, I had a cup of black (caffeinated) tea and read some more.

I continue to struggle with taking selfies.  






A straight on shot of Stevie (who was snuggling with me out on the porch swing) is in much better focus. 

It was an early dinner and then an hour of TV time with Joe. 
We watched "9/11: The Fifth Plane," a documentary that investigates what probably was a fifth plane being targeted by hijackers on 9/11. 


I went down a rabbit hole when I got on my computer to download photos.  A Facebook memory from four years ago popped up.  Styx had started delivering her kittens about 10pm.  I ended up reading twelve weeks worth of blogs, reminiscing of the days of raising the five kittens.  Most of it was so fun, but there were a lot of struggles also.  I didn't get to bed until after 11pm.  Babe (the black head in the middle of this photo) is four years old now.  Wow how time flies! 
 

Wednesday 9/13 - Rose showed up for breakfast, first time I’ve seen her since the big cat fight I had heard many nights ago.  I am always so glad to see her back, safe and fairly sound.  Neither of is is in bondage to the other, but there is definitely a bond between us.

Love how the morning sun is cast on the doe grazing down by the pond. 




I had agreed to let my computer update when I turn it off last night.  Well this morning it was still updating... and updating, and updating, and updating.  Then once I was finally on it, it was moving slower than molasses.  I was getting so frustrated cause I just wanted to get my blog caught up and move on with my day.  Often this blogging holds me in bondage.


My two hours at the gym were spent on the elliptical, weights for arms and abs., followed by stretch and balance work. 

Karen and I went for a ride with Mary and Jennifer, who are seen here in this photo. 





It was perfect riding weather, and a lovely time was had by all, even Maggie who came with us. 






The dog had disappeared into the woods (twice) for a worrisome extended period of time.  But re-emerged both times, hot and very tired. 





I have such a sweet mare, who I was actually holding to get her to face the camera in these two photos.  So the moment doesn't look as tender as my quiet times with her often are. 










I really love this horse. 

Mary had invited us for dinner, so Karen and I enjoyed a very tasty spaghetti meal with Mary and Jack.  They are both so nice.

I had fed Maggie at the ranch but the cats had to wait until I got home (after 7pm).  Poker Joe got home before I was in bed, but not by much.  I didn't get any reading done because fatigue and sleep hit me quickly and hard. 
 


Thursday 9/14 - I was at the ranch before 8am to do morning chores.  We'd had an overnighter with three horses who was loaded and ready to hit the road. 


I was home by 9am and had a third cup of tea. 


I had noticed Rose licking the inside of her back leg, and discovered she had a puncture wound there, as well as a sore under her chin. 






I decided to put flannel sheets on the bed.  I like having the windows open a tad at night, but then it gets kind of cold by morning.  Next comes a blanket, then shutting the windows, and finally turning the furnace on. 



Joe and I drove to Rockwood to shop at a Pattersons' wearhouse for a cheaper, scratch and dent refrigerator/freezer.  We would like to have an ice maker and water dispenser that works.  We could not find anything that exactly fits our existing space, so settled for a smaller one than we now have.  After having lunch at a little place in Rockwood, we headed to the ranch.

I discovered when Joe had 'weed whacked' the other day, he severed five shoots on this thorn-less blackberry and severely damage the last two.  So I have given up on it's survival and removed the lattice.  It actually looks better without it there. 



We tightened a stand of barbwire and then worked at hauling manure to the back side of the dam.  And I had Joe do a little more pushing with the tractor to get a few more large concrete slabs to slide down the back side so they won't be as visible.  I worked at the drainage ditches in the woods on the back side of the dam.  This photo was previous to taking the lattice down.



Joe left and Patty came to mow.  I hopped on Amiga bareback for a few minutes.  She did not seem to be favoring any of her legs.  This is good, but I still don't understand exactly what is going on with her.  Maybe just sore feet and heels off and on.  








I feed Amiga while Patty took care of the boys.  Then we hung these two metal horse silhouettes that Patty had bought at the 127 sale.  She had spray painted the brown one.  I like how we have them displayed on the wall above the barn bench. 




Patty gave me a ride home.  As we were pulling out, the horses were in search of green grass. 







They have plenty of grass in the paddock, although it is quite short.  But the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, don't ya know.

I had several things to do once home.  Because we had eaten a big lunch, I just grabbed a little salad for a late dinner, and then sat here eating popcorn before bed.  Sheesh. 


Friday 9/15 - You have got to be kidding me, today marks the middle of September.  I was up for several hours in the middle of the night.  I finally laid down on the couch and was able to fall back to sleep at 5:30.  But then I didn’t wake back up until 7:30. 










I got these two photos off this (video) I took of these two hummingbirds fighting over the feeder.  




This pine tree is at the ranch.  I had noticed it when shutting the shop before coming home for the evening.  I trimmed off the three branches with the 'worm swarms' and sealed them in a bag after spraying with insecticide.  The tree got a good spraying too. 






Since I had gotten a late start on the morning, and was moving slower than usual, I wasn’t out of my pajamas until 10:30.  And then, because I had a substantial third breakfast mid morning, my belly was too full to go to the gym. 






So I thought I would do some outside work first.  One thing led to another and next thing I knew, it was 2:00 in the afternoon.  I did get lots of trimming and weeding done, but didn’t take any pictures because the difference isn’t that noticeable.  But I felt pretty accomplished. 

I had hoped to have time for a ride before doing afternoon chores, so I skipped the gym.  Patty and Susan were down at the barn when I arrived and we chatted for a bit.  Then once the two ladies left, I went to get Amiga to get her ready to go for a ride.  She had a very sore left eye.  I dug through the first aid kit and found an eye wash.  So I cleaned around it, and then squeezed some wash in it from a sterile cotton ball.  It took a while, but she finally opened it.  I could tell it’s kind of swollen, but didn’t notice any other issues. 
 

As I groomed Amiga, the eye seemed to get better, more open.  Soon we were out on the trail.  At first Amiga didn’t want to go, which is one problem with riding so close to dinnertime.  But she was very willing once we were heading down the dirt road.  Amiga did not seem lame to begin with, but towards the end of the ride, she was acting a little sore, as you can see near the end of this (video).

Poker Joe had to leave the game early to meet an overnighter who didn't arrive until 8:30.  So he was home earlier than usual, but I was already asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment