Friday, September 18, 2026

The Little Things

Quite often, little things can make a big difference.  Small, frequently overlooked details, minor everyday actions, or little moments; can hold significant importance.  The accumulation of tiny little things, thoughtful gestures, modest actions, special courtesies, often bring the most happiness and meaning to life.  They can lead to a joyful, satisfied, peaceful existence.  Likewise, the build up of small irritations, little inconveniences, or impoliteness, can end up causing a full-blown temper tantrum, meltdown, resentful mindset, or simply an unhappy existence.


Saturday 9/12 - I started the day with a birthday wish to Cathy.  It's a little thing, but I let her know I remembered her birthday and was thinking of her.

My sore throat had progressed to a cold; now with sneezing, coughing, headache and chest congestion.  



Vale shared this photo she took of Dan working yesterday.  


He has a very happy executive assistant.  I just love getting updates on, and photos of the granddaughters, of our children, my siblings and extended family.  It is a little thing to send a photo, but so much appreciated.

As the morning progressed, so did my cold symptoms.  I did more sneezing than coughing, but the pressure in my sinuses was building.  

   


I had gone back to bed before sun up, and then was couch-bound the remainder of most of the day.  I had no desire to do anything except read or stare at the ceiling, and sleep some more if possible.  
Monita looked cute laying by the leopard pillow.  

  




My nose had started running and I was going through Kleenex as if I owned stock in the company.  There was an increase in a painful ache, or a throbbing discomfort in my facial sinuses, with pressure felt across my forehead, temples, and behind my eyes.


We had finally gotten some much needed rain, starting before noon and lasting almost three hours.  We did get a total of 1⅝ inches. 

I had to get out of my PJs and into ranch clothes because we had the horse chiropractor coming at 3:00.  Thankfully the rain was just stopping when I got there at 2:30.  Bonnie had helped Joanne muck the upper paddock and Patty and Joanne got the Pasos down to the barn.  I don't know what I would do without these wonderful ladies helping me. 



This is Kara Gingras, our new horse chiropractor.  She worked on Cash first.  She was very thorough.  



Amiga went next.  Notice I was wearing a mask, so as not to spread germs.





Kara checked all the joints in the back, neck, jaw, and legs; adjusting any that needed it, on each horse. 
She also did deep muscle fascia massage.  She spent around 30 minutes on each horse.  














Rico watching Kara at work.


I sat down to rest while Patty held Zorro during his turn.  















I felt drained, and completely out of energy so Joanne held Rico for me.  

 







Kara finishing up the tail end of her work with Rico.   



I got Amiga out of her stall and Patty, Joanne and I walked the three Pasos back up to their paddock.

Notice Wanda on Kara's block.  And below, even after the block was moved, Wanda was back up on it napping.  





Rosco was next.

I headed  home and let the ladies finish up with chores and locking up the ranch.  This may seem like a little thing, but was enormous help to me.




I got home at 5:30 and had to then push myself to get through the evening pet chores.  

I got another fun photo from family.  Dave and Patti had taken Cathy out to lunch for her birthday.  

I went to bed at 8pm, and Joe, who had also been really tired all day, and not gone anywhere or done anything other than dog walks, went to bed early also. 


Sunday 9/13 - Courtney shared this photo she took of her and Kent at the Titan's game yesterday.  I love seeing them out and about together, and so happy.
I stayed home from Church.  My cold had rendered me useless.  Not only was I extremely fatigued and had a 
pounding headache, with lightheadedness and some dizzy spells, I also had a sour stomach caused by postnasal drip, swallowing excess mucus.




Patty fed chickens a new supplement we bought, that's supposed to help get rid of pests (lice. mites, and parasites including worms).  We are hoping this enables them to regrow feathers and lay cleaner, healthier eggs.  





I drug myself to work and did the bare minimal while also keeping my distance from our customers, not wanting to share my germs.  Thankfully we weren't too busy.  I also found that doing a little bit and getting 'out of the house' had helped me feel a tad better.  

Joe had gone to poker and because I was coughing so much, I slept upstairs so I wouldn't bother him and he wouldn't wake me coming to bed later.  Dan's cats enjoyed my company.  
I was woken by coyotes yelping at 11:30 and again at 3:30am; and I did have a couple of coughing fits.


Monday 9/14 - I actually got a fairly decent night of sleep, all things considered and didn't wake up until 7am.  Holy cow that was late.  Thank you NyQuil. 
When I started my shift at the pool, I discovered that both the computer and telephone were down.  A very friendly, happy young man from IT came.  He greeted me with "It is a fine Monday morning."  Then he apologized that I was having internet problems, and I said "No worries, I'm sorry my problem is now your problem."  His cheerfulness was refreshing.
By the time I had blown debris off the deck, cleaned skimmers, put umbrellas up and wiped tables down, he had my computer working, but the phone was still out. I was fine with that.


I spent the bulk of my shift in the air conditioned office with window and door closed, reading my James Patterson book that I have been flying through since I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately and it’s very captivating.  I was feeling a little better, but had episodes of coughing and my dull headache would sometimes intensify.  





Having decided to stay home from Mirror Lake Blast, I settled in on the porch swing to read after my shower (above photo).

This meme came up on my Facebook Feed.  It perfectly describes one of my secrets to happiness.  (Riding my horse is another.)  I had FOMS thinking about the fun my dancing friends were having at Mirror Lake Blast.  Soul Soup was there, and are such a great band to dance to.  But I definitely did not have the energy to be there, did not want to share germs, and did not want to set myself back on getting better.


Tuesday 9/15 - During morning chores I had done some extra duties to get ready for our hay man Jerry, and for our renters for the week.  Cash, my project supervisor was testing the water I was putting in the tub in the front pasture for when they would be closed out of their paddock.  






After mucking the upper paddock, I spread what manure was here (Joe had hauled most of it away) out so it could be driven over.  

I got keys and note ready for the renters and changed out the temporary chicken feed container to put the new supplements in.  


The remaining photos I have for today, are ones Patty took of Jerry cutting our back pasture and Mike's field.  In this shot, Joe is following Jerry down the driveway at 2pm, to help with gates.

I went home to rest after finishing up at the ranch.









The three boys were shut into the front pasture so Jerry could get his equipment through their paddock.  



Cash, our project supervisor, escorted (in his mind kept the tractor moving) on Jerry's first pass up the fence line (video).

I had gone to the library to get a new book, and was lounging at Druid pool (a ¼ mile from our house) reading, sunning, and swimming as I got all the 'hay' updates.

I am glad Jerry had an air conditioned cab because it had gotten up to 90° outside.

I tried swimming a few laps because I haven't worked out at the gym for two weeks and haven't hiked for almost a week.  By the end of the third lap, I was breathing heavily.  Scheesh.  



The boys were happily grazing in the front pasture as Jerry made passes up the fence line, cutting the back pasture (video).






Once Jerry was done with our back pasture, he came up to go through the upper paddock and side pasture to cut Mike's field.  Patty had closed our three Pasos into the two sheds to keep them safe and out of the way.  

Another hour was spent cutting Mike's field.  Patty did chores, feeding the boys.  Once Jerry was done and gone, she let the Pasos out of their sheds.  



Patty reported that the Pasos stayed in the paddock because they were a bit scared and cautious to go into the side pasture.  She had to coax them out.  They were all alert with their ears up and looking around to see what was going on.  After a minute or two they thought it was safe so they took off running down to the pond.  


Joe headed home feeling weak and tired and Patty got our renters for the week set up in the ranch house.


The dogs begging for popcorn during movie time.


Since I was tired of reading and caught up on computer work, Joe and I watched the thriller 'The Reading.'  

It was intense, scary, and thought provoking with a surprising twist.  It left me with an adrenaline rush that took awhile to calm down from, so I could get to sleep.


Wednesday 9/16 - I had to skip tea and toast first thing this morning and went to the medical center (next door to the gym) for a fasting blood draw at 7am.  Come to find out the lab was closed because the technician was on vacation.  Ugh!  Last week I had been told they were open and to go there.  I know this is a little thing, but to me it was a big aggravation.  I went (the 5 minute drive) home and had a very late breakfast.  

Wanda and George during morning chores, telling me I needed to feed them, even though I knew Bonnie had already.  Up at the house, Bonnie introduced me to Bob and Vicky (her friends from CA) who are renting the ranch house for the week and sight seeing with Bonnie.


I was feeling quite a bit better, but a little bit of exertion still made me too tired.  Also I still had some lung congestion with some coughing and sinus pressure and dizziness.  I decided to not go to the gym still, so went back to Druid pool for more sun shine, swimming, reading and napping.

It is getting dark earlier, and staying dark later in the morning.  Monita hanging out with me before bedtime while I played games on my computer.

 


Thursday 9/17 - Bringing in the hay, day.  I was conserving my energy knowing it would be a long day, so did computer stuff, read and napped during the morning.

Meanwhile, at the ranch at 9:30; Joe, Patty, and Joanne were getting ready for the hay man.  









Because Joe has still been very low on energy and been getting out of breath easily, Joanne helped him get the pallets set up in the shop, in preparation for the round bales.  




Just before Jerry was due to arrive, they closed the Pasos into the sheds.  Seen left, Rico was in the small shed, while Amiga and Zorro were together in the larger shed. 






Jerry bringing the 'folded up' hay rake (tedder) through the upper paddock.  Notice 'the boys' reaction as Jerry drives by (video).








With the 'danger' gone, these guys were then wondering where the Pasos were.  Meanwhile, Jerry was fluffing the hay in Mike's field (video).  






Once Jerry finished in Mike's field and moved into the back pasture, the upper paddock gates could be closed and the Pasos were let out of their sheds.  








Jerry then fluffed the hay in the back pasture.
A lunch break was taken, with Jerry leaving to take his tedder home and get his baler.  Patty went home to get ready to leave for her weekend in Iowa.  Joe came home to rest and eat and Joanne hung out at the ranch.  Bonnie and the renter (Vicky and Steve) had gone sight-seeing.  

I got some items from Food City for dinner and went straight to the ranch.  Joanne and I got the Pasos back in their sheds and soon Jerry arrived with the baler, starting with Mike's field.  The first round bale was too big, that our tractor couldn't handle it, so went Jerry was done at Mikes, he brought the round bale down to the shop for us.  

 




We were all surprised that we only got four round bales off Mike's field.  It hadn't been fertilized and Jim had kept it mowed short all summer until Mike and his family moved in.

Paddock gates were closed and the Pasos were let back out of the sheds.
 

I picked up a bunch of sticks and branches along the fence line while Jerry was baling the back pasture and Joe and Joanne were taking turns collecting the (now smaller) round bales.  







Joanne was great help bringing bales in, and it gave Joe a chance to get out of the hot sun and re-hydrate.


She has the same model tractor as us, so was very experienced at driving it, although has never 'speared' and moved round bales before.  








Joanne said she was actually having fun and enjoying the experience.  




We ended up getting 11 round bales off the back pasture.  Unfortunately, it had a lot of sage grass in it.  








Two bales to go, and we finished up right about 4:30.  Joanne bringing in the last bale (video) while I started feeding chores.  


Sixteen round bales total, stored in the shed.  I just hope there is enough good grass in the bales from the back pasture.  

I had gotten the bonfire started, even though it was too hot to sit around it.  We needed to burn the big pile of sticks that had accumulated.  Joe ordered pizza deliver and then he had to go get an overnighter checked in.  



The six of us (Bonnie, Vicky, Bob, Joanne, Joe and I) had veggies and dip and fruit along with our pizza.  Wine and beer was also enjoyed.  We ate inside to stay cool and because it's just easier at a table.  By the time we'd finished, it was cooling off some so we went out to sit around the fire for awhile.

I was feeling so much better, and decided the exercise had done the trick.  We all retired early, being 'spent' after the busy day.
 

Friday 9/18 - I worked my morning shift at the pool.  It was another beautiful day, although extremely hot.  The indoor pool had re-opened after being closed for two weeks and Druid Pool (seen in photo) which closed yesterday, had their dog swim today.  


While I was eating lunch in my office, about 12:15, out of nowhere, we got hit with a thunderstorm.  I ran out to clear the pool and put my car windows up.  Here is a photo of the radar showing the microburst that hit Crossville.  Intense pop-up cells can develop incredibly fast during hot, humid afternoons, and these fast-moving systems frequently bring sudden pockets of heavy downpours and lightning. It lasted about 30 min.


I went out to the ranch after my shift to muck the upper paddock, and I went ahead and let the Pasos out into the front pasture a little early.

Pet feeding and dog walks were a little rushed so I could be ready for Shirley to pick me up.  We got her brother Rick and then went to McAlister's for dinner.  Joanne and also Poker Joe met us at the Playhouse, and we watched a fun production of Fox On The Fairway.  
It was good to laugh so much.  Little things in life make a big difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment