Friday, July 15, 2016

Tearin' It Up

Tearin' it up - not only means to break or rip apart, but also means to be incredibly engaged in something to the point where you become almost obsessed or ferocious about it.  This can apply to but is not limited to... playing a sport, game, or an instrument; eating a meal, working out on weights, dancing, or even working on a project (such as a drainage ditch).

The afternoon tornado like winds and hail from Friday had done a little tearin' it up, so when I opened at the Dorchester pool Saturday morning, I had lots of leaves and twigs to clean from the deck, filters, and pool.  I had early customers again, who exercised while I cleaned.

I moved this Cope's gray treefrog from one of the deck chairs over to the Crab apple tree.  He looked much more at home blending in with the lichen on the bark.

I also saw this very cool looking Clymene moth sitting on a lounge chair.  It later flew off.
Notice the rain drops on the chair.  I spent quite a bit of time wiping them all down, along with the tables.  I also thought maybe the pump wasn't working because they had lost electricity during the storm, and checked it out once getting instructions from our pool maintenance man.  All was well.  Time flew during my five hour shift, and I even spent some of it weeding a flower bed.  

I got off work at 2:00 and dropped by the barn to check on Amiga and Zorro.  They both appeared happy and healthy.

With rain in the forecast, I deferred cement work and spent my energy cleaning up what the storm had torn up in our yard.  I picked up a ton of sticks.  I also fixed all the ground cloth that covers the grass seed and added dirt and re-seeded where it had been washed away. 

Then I worked at "new construction," moving the big rock I dug up last week and putting it above the other one on the steep part of the hill, to act as a third step. 
I planted Japanese Spurge (a shade loving ground cover) around this Mountain Laurel so it will help hold the hillside dirt and mulch on the hill.
While I was finishing up outside, Joe grilled chicken and taters, until running out of propane.  Then he proceeded with the microwave, while I kind of helped at the end, cooking the corn.

Sunday morning I went to the barn instead of church.  After paying board (late) I took Amiga on a short ride before the day heated up.  Zorro looked (from a distance) to be fine, out with all his buddies.  Shirley took this video of him the night before.  He just cracks me up.

Once home, I continued tearin' it up out back.  Actually, I worked at putting it back together after Friday's afternoon storm had washed the latest cement work down the hill.  Seen left where much of the concrete and lots of the dirt had washed away.








Seen right, new dirt hauled in, tamped down, wetted and ready for another try at cementing in the pavers that had washed down the hill.


There was no rain in the forecast, so I made three more batches of mix and got six pavers re-done on the 'floor' of the ditch and repaired some of the sides where cement had washed away.  I would have done more, but was out of crete-mix.  I covered the wet cement with plastic and decided to call it a day and go to the gym to workout. 


Notice in the right photo the grass seed area fixed back up and Maggie in the distance.



She keeps a watch over me and the yard while I work, and will bark at any threat, like golfers searching for their ball gone astray, or when Allen or Brian come over to say hi and check on my progress.


Maggie will also nap some of the time.




I didn't do a lot of aerobic work, so once home from the gym, took Maggie for a nice long walk.  Joe was with Greg kayaking, and they didn't get home until 9:30.  We all had had an exhausting day and were in bed within the hour.

Monday the guys were up and on the road just before I headed to the barn at 8 am.  They were off to hike at a park in Georgia, I was meeting the farrier.

Smurf and Bahem had been moved to Terry's farm Sunday, so Zorro spent the night out by himself.  He was standing at the gate whinnying.  I tied him facing Amiga and gave them hay while I brushed and fly sprayed them.

Tom was early as usual and made quick work of trimming and shoeing.

I decided to ride Amiga, and went to Terry's to see how their first night went and to talk about the future ideas of moving more horses to her farm.

When Donkey (a rescue Terry has adopted who was left with the farm) started braying, Amiga got very jumpy.  She is a silly girl.  I had a great ride to and from the barn.



After lunch, I focused my attention out in the front yard, because rain was in the forecast.  I weeded this middle section and planted flowers that have been sitting around since early May.  Looking at the rest of the weed patch out front, I started tearin' it up.

At last, I was out of time, and quit way before I was nearly done with the weeds.  I took Maggie for a quick walk (video) although she would rather play than take care of business.  Then I went to Mirror Lake which was not as big a blast as usual because the band played a lot of their own songs that no one knew.  There was no tearin' it up on the dance floor (grassy hill) for me this time.

Since Joe was out of town, I decided to sleep on the back porch.  It was cooler out there and the night woodland and pond sounds quickly lulled me to sleep.  I slept soundly until, what I assume was a snorting deer, woke me up.  It carried on, off and on, for probably ten minutes before all was quiet again, except the frogs, crickets, katydids and my mind.   Something has been tearin' up baby deer in our neighborhood.  Maggie found this along the side of our street last week.  I lay there wondering and worrying about the little ones.



As far as the yard is concerned, a nocturnal creature has still been tearin' it up in a few places.  I saw these tracks by the creek... cat print (our neighborhood has a black feral one) seen in the lower left part of the photo, and probably raccoon foot prints are seen in the upper right.






Tuesday's forecast showed a very good chance of rain, so I sat here and worked on this post while also tending to several domestic duties.

The gas company has started tearin' it up... putting in gas lines along the edge of the road coming down Snead and turning onto Flossmoor Circle.

Maggie and I checked out their progress during several of our walks throughout the morning.  I had heard that the two little boys, that have been tearin it up on their four wheeler in the neighborhood, were seen driving around the columbarium.  When I walked over there, one of the concrete benches was broken with tire tracks in the gravel curving right past it.  Hum.  

When I went out to weed, I got distracted by watering.  Even though it was to rain, the new grass, potted plants and recently planted flowers and shrubs all looked thirsty.  Watering everything left little time to weed before I had to go to work.

Joe wasn't home yet, so one more dog walk and then I went to Dorchester pool.

I did more weeding at the pool and had to clear the pool twice during two little pop-up showers that were preceded by thunder.
I had made a salad for dinner, but forgot to bring it to work, but it was the weekly Tuesday evening pot-luck and I was lucky enough to be invited to join in the eating.


Some people were really tearin' it up on the food line, but I refrained from making a pig of myself since I had not brought a dish to share, and I was supposed to be working.  The party group were my only customers so it was okay to be slacking for a few minutes.  (This flag cake was tasty.)
I did have extra trash and was late closing because several swam after dinner, not getting out of the water until the 7 pm closing time.  I didn't mind, they are a nice and fun group, and had rock-and-roll oldies playing, so I had music while cleaning tanning oils off lounge chairs.

Wednesday morning I saw a conference on the green (as I had also seen the day before).  There was kneeling, tamping, head scratching, and later spraying and other equipment.  Has my nocturnal, tearin' it up visitor moved to the other side of the pond?

It was to be a beautiful day, perfect for cement work, but I had a noon dentist appointment in Cookeville and Joe and I had planned to combine it with shopping.


Seen left and above, the new seed has sprouted and now, hopefully, future torrential down pours wont be tearin' it up (washing it away) anymore.

We went to the fireplace shop and talked over options for quite some time.  We plan to put in a direct vent gas fireplace, and hope to be able to do an insert rather than a 'tearin it up' removal of all the firebox and chimney.  More research and measurements were needed before a final selection could be made.

Joe and I treated ourselves to a great lunch at Father Tom's Pub.  I was relieved to learn that my tooth (root canal) from a year ago looked fine, even though it sometimes felt strange.  A celebratory beer was enjoyed along with fantastic food.

We were not so successful with porch chair shopping in Sparta and were soon on the road for home.  We picked up more cement mix at Lowe's and I went to Wal-Mart after dropping Joe off at the tire store where he had left the SUV to get new tires.

Once unloaded and
refreshed with a big glass of ice water, I headed out into the 93 degree heat (plus humidity) and worked on the ditch until dark (8:30).  I finally finished getting all the rest of the pavers cemented in and did repair of the cement that had been partially washed from the side of the rocks in the wall.  It was too dark for photos, so I took these the next morning.

This deer visits our yard almost every morning.  Thursday she came rather close while I was actually still outside putting corn and bird seed out.  She knows I am the hand that feeds, and she waited from a safe distance.  As soon as I was on my way back up the hill, she moved in closer to get a bite to eat.




With more rain predicted, I focused my attention to weeding out front.  There is so much that needs to be pulled.  Grass in the phlox is the most time consuming.

The gas guys were soon back to tearin' it up, working their way down our street.  Our yards, for individual gas hook up, will be next to get dug up.



I didn't get much accomplished before having to go to work at 1:45.  Joe was walking Maggie as I pulled out. 









During my shift, a maintenance man from Druid came to cool off and I asked him about the 17th green (Our house is seen in the distance, from the green, in the left photo).

As it turns out, it was no creature of the night, but the neighborhood boys who had tore it up on their four wheeler.  Luckily, they were caught and charged the cost of damage.

My shift ended at 5:30 because of a storm system that moved in and looked like it would be around through the rest of the afternoon.  With the first system of rain came high winds.  I had a ton of leaves and sticks on the deck and in the pool that I worked at removing.  I had cleared the pool and everyone left, so when it started raining again, I moved inside and cleaned restrooms.  Then I got the call to shut it down for the night.

By 6:30 the skies had cleared and I took Maggie for a nearly two hour walk.  I was concerned by the two neighbor boys climbing on one of the tractors out front, but didn't say anything to them, other than giving them the teacher look.  They soon left.

Friday morning the gas guys got started shortly after I had begun weeding out front.  





They were working on the tractor the boys had been climbing on, so I went over to tell them, in case the kids had messed something up.  It was fine, but two nights earlier a different tractor had the windows broken out of it.  It had been parked right across the street from the boy's house.  Kind of makes ya wonder.



Joe brought a load of mulch (thanks to the use of Brian's handy little trailer).  So I went back and mulched what I had weeded and proceeded to mulch as I continued more weeding.







During the day, the gas guys were very noisy and messy as they worked.  But they did finish the line down the street from Snead to Lakeview.  Here are videos (1) of them tearin' it up, and (2) an observation of the soil/rock they dug through.  When grinding through sandstone, the noise and dust was bad.


For some reason, my camera is still letting me take only about 20 seconds of video and then it shuts off saying I am out of room.  So I up loaded one video, deleted it from my phone, and went out and took the second video.

Maggie was my 'foreman' and also kept an eye on the gas guys.





Time and energy were dwindling, so I moved to where I had already weeded the flower bed on the right (seen below) to finish off the load of mulch.  I wanted Joe to get me another load for the weekend, before he went to Iowa.




I pushed the empty trailer into the garage for the night, not trusting it outside, and was soon showered, dressed, and fed, and ready for the night.

As soon as Joe got off work (7:15), we went up the street to the Library Building where the Moonlighter's Dance club was having a party.  We sat with Don and Irene, who had invited us.



I spent the next three hours tearin' it up out on the dance floor.  Even Joe danced quite a bit.  What fun.  But we were both totally exhausted when we got home after 10 pm.








As we go wild, tearin it up, we need to be careful not to step on any toes (like I did with Don on a couple of dances).  Life is not all about us.  Have fun, but be respectful of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment