Friday, October 20, 2017

All About Love

Love and life go hand in hand.  Life should be all about love.  Love was Mother Teresa's focus.  Here are a few of her quotes about living in love:"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action."  "Live simply so others may simply live."
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."  "Spread love everywhere you go.  Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."  "Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love."


Joe and I with Shirley, Courtney, Jan and Mike.

Last week ended and this week started with a three day road trip.  It was spent sharing time and love with family and great friends.

We departed (Joe and I in our SUV and Mike, Jan, and Shirley following us in Mike's car) at 1:00 Friday and arrived at Fall Creek Falls 90 minutes later.









We did a short little hike to the suspension bridge while catching one view of Piney Falls, seen lower left.


It was a beautiful day, ideal for hiking.


Shirley's allergies were really bothering her so she skipped this hike.

The suspension bridge was suspenseful, but we made it across and back.

Then we drove to the Fall Creek Falls overlook and all got out to look at that spectacular view, including the falls.














The 'hawk' overhead was actually just a big black crow.

It was an hour drive to the Tennessee Guest Ranch, in the Sequatchie Valley, near Dunlap, TN.  As soon as we arrived, we went on a ranch tour.


Walking along the stalls and a look inside the tack room.











We also saw their classroom, pre-vet lab, a few other barns, and several of their horses and other animals.  There was tons of information given to us and we had lots of questions they gladly answered.

After the house tour, we unloaded our bags and then had cocktails and hors d'oeuvres out on the back deck.  Seen below was our wonderful view.
 









We watched as chores were being completed.

Next on our itinerary was 6:00 dinner at the Cookie Jar Cafe.  It only took a few minutes to get there, and because it was about dark, we opted not to do the petting zoo.

Dinner was great, except Mike's thin pork chops were very dried out.  😔 Sorry Mike.

Back at the ranch, we gathered around the campfire.  It took awhile to get it started...

...and it was a bit smokey, but soon Chris (the ranch owner) had it going well.  We enjoyed chocolate wine and s'mores.  What a great combo.














Seen right, a look at part of our room.  The whole house was decorated in cowboy theme.  We felt home on the ranch, and slept well.

We were woken up at 6:30 Saturday morning to cowboy music being played over the intercom in our rooms.  And we were outside, with our coffee in hand (tea for me and Pepsi for Shirley) at 7 am to milk the cow. 









First we were given a lesson on how to milk a cow, the benefits of whole, unpasteurized milk,  and then we all gave milking a go.


We brought the milk in, filtered it, labeled the 2 1/3 gallons, and put the jars in the fridge.

Ooops, busted.  That was our pink 'milk' Mike had put in the fridge to keep cool.


After a restroom break for most, and re-filling our morning caffeinated beverages, we went back out to feed the livestock, primarily the 'petting zoo', vet school teaching subjects.

Jan had really wanted to hold this little goat, and got her wish.


The animals all had sweet (but different) personalities and were fun to watch and interact with.  You could tell they were well loved.




We did have to pull the two goats out (seen left) to give them their extra supplement of copper.

We toured a few pastures close to the ranch house and heard about some of the vet experiences with a few of the horses.

Back inside, we took time to taste the fresh milk, chilled from the day before... and, okay some of us might have needed another restroom break.  Seen below, boots on the front porch we removed as we came, and put back on as we went.





Then we loaded into the back of Chris' pickup truck and went to check on some of the horses in distant pastures.


We took apples and grain to feed them.  This big black gelding is a mustang.








He was glad to let me pose with him for a photo.




Alas, it was time to hit the road for McMinnville.  We said goodbye to the resident cat and several of the workers as we loaded up and left.




At noon we met up with Courtney at Cumberland Caverns.  Seen left, we waited in a long line for quite awhile and then followed the group of people down into the cave.


Our view as we entered the the Volcano Room.
The seating was already getting quite full.


We descended 333 feet below ground to the Volcano Room, the national site for the PBS Bluegrass Underground concerts, which we were there to experience.



We sat to the far right as you face the stage, and this was our view of the performance (main musicians were Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley).








It was good to have Courtney join us.  I was glad she took time from her busy schedule to do so.

We emerged from the bowels of the cavern and in three vehicles, caravanned 20 min. to the historic Falcon Rest Mansion, built in 1906, which was also in McMinnville.

The lady proprietor (Charlien) gave us a tour of the grounds and gardens and showed us Villhauers to our room in the Carriage House and Jan, Mike, and Shirley to their rooms in the Guest House.

Wine in one hand, beer in the other.
After getting settled in, we met on the veranda of the mansion (not called a porch in early 1900s) where we sat and enjoyed snacks and cocktails.

We could see that the place had been grand in its time, but was now looking a little run down.


At 6:30 we got gussied up and went to dinner at the Victorian Carriage House restaurant, where we all enjoyed a tasty chicken or steak dinner.
This photo is the same as the first one in this post. →

  ← One of the paintings on the wall.

After dinner, we put on our loungers/pjs and then hung out in the guest house living room, chatting and playing a game of Outburst.

We all leisurely crawled from our beds Sunday morning, and caffeinated ourselves as we met in the living room and later gift shop, which was outside the tea room where we ate breakfast. 
Shirley looking good in one of the hats for sale.

We ended our stay with a tour of the 10,000 sq. foot mansion.  Charlien (seen left) was great at giving the history of the property, in a story telling fashion.







We learned that Charlien's husband George,  bought the place (which was a vacated, run-down, partly demolished hospital at the time) and they spent over four years renovating it to it's original era before opening.  The two of them continue to work on up-keep and renovations... a true labor of love, and noticeably more than they have time for.  They also keep busy and enjoy doing murder mystery dinners, ghost tours, and many other venues. 

We drove home, in under two hours, arriving before noon.  The cats were glad to see us but eventually settled in for a nap.  Stevie cleaned Monita (video) before lying down herself.  It's all about love.









Fairly soon, I headed to the barn to ride.  I wanted to continue work in the snaffle bit.


The fall colors are really emerging out on the trail.

After a short ride (Amiga was in bad need of a trim so I didn't want to work her too long) we stopped in the field for her to snack.  Seen left, my legs were out of the stirrups and up on the saddle pad as she grazed.
 
I got home at dinner time, but showered first.  This is a view from our bathroom, looking out the sliding door of our bedroom, through the screened porch, to the fall colors also emerging in our back yard.

The Halloween lights were bothering me so much, that I redid them, making the tree look more like a tree.  I was too tired to do anything else, but read my mystery novel (two pages until sleep overcame me).

Seen left, is Monday morning's view of the balcony from my desk, where I worked at my computer, getting this blog started.  I had to go up and take a photo of Stevie.










I went to Ballroom Aerobics and then came home to change into barn clothes and eat lunch.

I got to the barn at 1:00, to get Amiga ready for her trailer loading lesson and rode in the round pen with the snaffle. 

When Christy arrived at 2:00, the lesson began with ground work in the round pen (video).  In this second (video), Christy is working Amiga closer to the panels, to get Amiga used to moving into tight spaces.

Then we were ready to move into the yard to work at the trailer.  As soon as Amiga set eyes on the trailer, she got all revved up.





So Christy spent some more time working Amiga at the gate, passing back and forth through it, getting Amiga to settle down and focus on Christy.






Next Christy worked Amiga around the back of the trailer (video), getting Amiga to stay calm and focused on Christy.






Christy moved Amiga closer to the back of the trailer, near the 'dreaded ramp' and kept Amiga's feet moving and her listening.  But she also stopped Amiga to let the horse rest and think.
 
Christy's timing and calm manner are perfect.  It should be all about love when owning and training our pets and animals.  Next task was getting Amiga to step onto the ramp.  And she did it!



(video)  But the horse was still not sure about going into the trailer.






With more time and patience, Christy got Amiga in the trailer, standing quietly, and then worked on a slow back out and off of it (video).

Christy taught Amiga to get on (and then off) the trailer quietly, slowly, and without getting all nervous and acting crazy.  This last (video) shows Christy giving me some additional helpful hints on backing Amiga out of the trailer.  I hope I can remember all of this and do it correctly when it is time.

Joe had made a needed trip to Food City and bought salads for us, so dinner was ready when I got home at 5:00. 

Seen right, Stevie cleaning Monita again.
And then left, Monita's reaction.

I watched the Buck Brannaman movie after dinner.  The clinician we will be working with this coming weekend (Barb Gerbitz) trained under Buck.


Tuesday morning I was basically lazy and unproductive.  Just after lunch I met Leah and Brian out at the barn and gave Leah a little riding lesson.  (video #1) Yep, she's a girl (mare).  (video #2) Safety around the horse.  (video #3) I might have done too much talking... go figure.  (video #4) A quick riding demonstration.  (video #5) Then Leah gives it a go.  She was a quick study and did an excellent job.  I think she rode for over 30 minutes. 





Amiga was a sweet girl, and did well, even though she got a little revved up when confused by mixed signals from me and Leah at the same time.  Leah gave Amiga a thank you hug when we were finished.  



The horses were brought in before I left so I brushed Zorro and checked him over.  His scratches are so much better.  What a handsome boy he is.

By the time I got home, there wasn't time to make it to the gym so I messed here until it was time to go to Spikes where Joe and I met up with Brian and Leah.  There was a little two man band playing that was fun to listen to (and sing along with) while we enjoyed a light supper and a couple of beers.

Wednesday Monita spent quite a bit of time on my lap.  She is looking less kitten like, and I am looking older too.  I ended up missing the start of Ballroom aerobics because I was on the phone.  So then I decided to run Monita to the vet for her first kitten shot.  She now weighs 4.4 lbs, did not have a temperature, and Dr. Dan said her lungs sounded good.  So she got her shot and we decided to do a wormer to be sure she didn't have any more of those.





Leah (with Brian) dropped in to say good bye, then I was off to the barn to have the horses ready for the vet.  I put Amiga and Zorro together in the round pen and Judy helped me give them both a Bute before they got their shot.  Zorro and Amiga both did well with the shot and then I walked Zorro around some, rode Amiga bareback in the round pen, and walked Zorro a little more. 




Amiga did great with the snaffle bit this time.  I only walked her because her hooves really need trimming and I didn't want to stress her legs.

Next on my to-do list, was go to the gym to lift weights.  Then on the way home, I stopped by Shirley's to go through her costume trunk to find something to wear for the up-coming Halloween activities.  Joe was playing poker, so it was a quiet night at home at my computer and with my furry pet friends by the fire.

Thursday I was expecting the farrier mid morning, so got to the barn at 9:00 to maybe Bute Amiga and Zorro if they were sore from the shot the day before.  And then Tom pulled in, an hour early.  The horses were both fine, so no Bute was necessary.  Zorro went first.  He did great and then so did Amiga.  I spent nearly an hourly cleaning the trailer, all my tack, and then loading it onto the trailer. 

Then I headed for town.  I found a good witch-looking skirt at a thrift store for only a dollar, bought two scarves at the Dollar Store, and then some fairly cheap Halloween leggings at Wal-Mart.  I also got some horse supplies at Tractor Supply.


It was 3:30 when I got home so I took Maggie for a nice long walk.  She climbed right up this fallen tree without my asking.  Look how high up she is.  I am standing by the tree in these two photos.  She is such a cute, silly little puppy.

I baked a frozen lasagna and made a big toss salad for dinner.  Then Joe and I settled in on the couch, in front of the fire, and watched both survivor shows.  Seen left, Monita on Maggie's bed.


Friday was to be a fairly big day, and the start of even a bigger weekend.  I got to the barn at 8:00 and finished packing up the trailer with some last minute things.  As soon as Joe arrived and hooked up the trailer, we started the process of loading Amiga.  I took it slow and eventually she walked on fairly calmly, after I allowed her to back off, slowly on her own a few times.






When we arrived at Christy's (right at 10 am as planned) the off loading was not pretty.  Twice Amiga rammed back into the butt bar before we even had it down.  Ugh.  Seen above, Joe unloaded hay that was in the back of the SUV before leaving for Iowa.  Seen left, the trailer will be parked here over the weekend.  The white door in the barn goes into the kitchen, with adjoining bath.

I let Amiga graze for a while, and then tacked her up and went for a nice little ride.














I rode Amiga all around Christy's out buildings and then down the road and on her woodland trail. 




I noticed our shadow when along the road so took a photo of it.  I look like a mounted soldier saluting.











This is the stunning front gate to Otter Point Road that three beautiful homes, including Christy's, are located on.

It was a perfect day for a ride, but I only had time for an hour... places to go and things to do.

Amiga stood quietly tied to the trailer while I un-tacked and brushed her.  It helped that she had hay to munch on.  She is a silly girl.

I turned her out in Christy's dry lot and was on my way.

As things tend to go, I spent longer horsing around than intended or planned so when I got home, I decided I was out of time to go to the gym.

I packed things I would need for two days of riding, and also for camping the following night.  In the fridge I set aside food and drink I would need for two lunches, breakfast and a dinner.  I also got Maggie packed up and ready to go.  And next thing ya know, it was 4:00 and time to hit the road again.

After dropping Maggie off at the kennel, I went back to Christy's to feed Amiga.  It was just a little farther down Peavine and up Fire Tower Road.  I brought Amiga into the 12 by 25 foot outdoor stall, filled her water bucket, gave her hay and her sweet feed.








Amiga got distracted from dinner by some action going on out in the round pen.  So I went to check it out while waiting for Amiga to finish eating.



Barb Gerbitz, the clinician for the weekend, was working one of Christy's horses.  It is always cool to watch a good horsewoman working with a horse.  The speed at which they can diagnose the 'behavior' problem and correct it, just amazes me.







As you can see, Christy has a wonderful round pen and it was a beautiful evening.  Once again I had to pull myself away.  I stowed Amiga's feed bucket in the trailer and drove home.


Next to do on my fun, busy day was to shower and dress for the evening's Halloween dance.
Shirley picked me up and we arrived three minutes later.  Then the fun began.

I know I am not usually that inhibited, but when you have a mask that covers your face and people don't know it's you, you can act even crazy/sillier.  Seen left, I used just the eye mask when I got too hot in the one seen above.

There was costume judging going on, so I was playing the roll - Spirit of Halloween.  I thought this couple would win, but I ended up getting first place in the ladies division.

We danced from 7-10, being some of the last to leave.  We were having such a good time.

I got home and had to get to bed (with a 7 am departure time) but sleep did not happen until almost midnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment