Friday, November 17, 2017

Nothing Unusual

It was a fairly normal week in terms of the usual things going on in my life... blogging, horse back riding, dog walks, working in the yard, cat snuggling, going to the gym, Joe off playing poker, etc.

Even when I deviated from the usual routine, I didn't do anything unusual.  Well, maybe putting up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving was unusual, but all the stores do it.  Whether something is usual or unusual I guess can be determined by probability statistics.  It is dependent on...
region, customs, religion and each persons regular routine, and individuality.

I woke up and doze back off several times Friday night and pre-dawn Saturday.  Joe didn't get home until 2:30 am so I kept an ear out for his return and an eye on the clock... like I usually do when he is out late.

Monita had been snugly all night, sleeping on my pillow most of the time.  However, first thing in the morning, she threw up in the kitchen, just a greenish liquid.  Less than an hour later when I checked on her, she was sleeping hunched up as if to have a belly ache, and her coat looked very scruffy. 

Monita had been doing so well lately, appearing healthy and ready for the scheduled surgery in a few days.  Now I wasn't sure.  When she threw up again, later in the morning, I offered her canned cat food, but she refused it.  Now I knew she was really feeling bad because she has never refused to eat.  This truly concerned me.  I have tried not to get too attached to Monita, with the memory of Maya still clear and painful, but was feeling quite sad and worried.  Seen right, she sought comfort by her doggie friend on the bed I had just brought out of bunk-room storage.  Once the sun had come up and was shinning in the window, they enjoyed its warmth.

I went to the barn at noon and Deana and I hit the trail just after 12:30.  We rode the power line to Hathaway and then to Terry's, where we met up with Jan and Christie.









Christie had trailered Dakota over to Terry's to ride with us.  It was a first for her, but nothing unusual really.  Chester also joined us.





Dakota is an energetic 24 year old spotted saddle horse mix with some quarter horse and probably Arabian.  He and Amiga were 'hot to trot' wanting to move out together (video).





We rode the golf course loop and then did the Kirkstone short loop.

Christie and Jan peeled off the trail when we got back to Marmaduke, behind Terry's, and Deana and I continued on home to Wildwood, arriving just before 4:00.  That was 3 1/2 hours in the saddle.  It was a fun ride and a beautiful, crisp fall day for it.














Back at the barn the Girl Scouts were arriving.

They had just gone out on the wagon ride when I was turning Amiga back out into the pasture.  The wagon goes into the field of livery horses and the customers get to feed them grain out of their hands.

Joe and I snacked for dinner and then went to Red's for a beer (or three) and karaoke fun.

Brian and Andy and John and Marge (and their daughters Brittney and Erica) joined us.








Seen left, our waitress Terri bringing another round of beer.  Eventually, the six who had joined us headed home, but we still had one last beer to drink so went and sat with Ed, Pat, Joyce, and Bob (seen below).














Ed and Pat get a selfie with Terry, the DJ who runs a wonderful karaoke show, in spite of a few really raunchy singers.  He  is an awesome singer, does fantastic solos, is great in duets, and helps out the weaker performers (singing back-up).


When I got home from Church Sunday, I hustled outside to go dig two holes down back.  Then Joe and I went to Karen's and dug up her two lilac bushes she has been wanting to get rid of.  Once home, I got to work planting them and Joe soon left for his Sunday poker night.








I watered the new bushes (one has a lot more leaves than the other) and also gave the recent transplants (dogwood and red bud) a good drink. 



Then I went to the front yard and planted the compact holly (right at this corner) and moved some of the ground cover.  Weeding and raking leaves from this bed had to happen first.







I continued to rake and sweep up leaves, which resulted in four trips down back and across the creek, with the sheet stuffed full of leaves.  Maggie was my helper/project manager.  However, time and darkness were not on my side.  Nothing unusual.


I hurried to put tools away, shower and eat, feed the critters, and walk the dog.  Monita only ate some of her dinner.  Then I was off at 5:10 to pick Shirley up.  We went to the Palace Theater for the USO Show.  Seen right, Shirley's brother Rick played in this band before the show and during intermission. 






Donna and DJ along with three cast members from the Play House put on this fun show.  There were four Acts, each from a different war.

Once home, I gave Monita a little can food and was glad to see her eat it right up.  I was so thankful she was feeling better.

Monday - Before Joe left for Indiana mid-morning, I needed his assistance with the SUV to pick up two large items from Jan's condo which has finally sold.  She had some things there to stage it and did not need, want, or have room for them at her new house, so had offered them to a few of us.

Look at what she gave me, this beautiful (artificial) ficus to replace the one I had, that died recently.  This one will last longer than I will.

It didn't take my kitties long to start exploring the possibility of climbing this tree.  I was glad to see Monita feeling ornery and playful.  But quick, sharp words put tree climbing to a halt.  I also moved it farther from their cat tower to decrease the likely hood they would try climbing it.

Jan also gave me this beautiful pot and dried reeds arrangement.  I wasn't sure where I was going to put it, but knew I wanted it for my jungle / safari decor.  I had actually not moved it in from the garage until after dinner because I was pondering where to put it.  Isn't it gorgeous?  Although this is not the best place for it.

In order to make room for it on the short wall, I had to move two plants to the other side of the entry way, squeezing them in on this wall.  Of course, the cats had to investigate all the new changes.  Thankfully the pot of dried reeds is tall enough that the cats can't reach them.



Maggie and Monita snuggled on the dog bed much of the day.  Like me at my computer, they kept getting up and then coming back, but would lie in different positions.  You can see there was little sunshine coming in the window this day.


I spent the bulk of the day going to town to shop at several stores.  I got a 15 pound turkey and wanted to stock up on several items to get me though the end of the month.  It was a very cold, gloomy day and by the time I got home, I made soup for a very late (2:00) lunch.  Once settled in here at my computer, I continued to watch the kitten and dog snuggle.

In order to get ready for Monita's pre and post surgery care, I had cleaned out the crate, where the the second litter box is, put down a new pad under the whole crate, removed all food and water from it, and added some extra toys.  I disinfected the litter box before adding the new corn cob kitty litter I had just bought.  Clay litters are not good for promoting better healing after de-clawing.  But when I poured it into her litter box, it was so heavily scented, I wasn't sure that it would be good for her.  As it turned out, she didn't really like it.  But she used it overnight, where she had been locked in the crate, without food or water.  Notice I moved the Norfolk Pine over to this window because I had the new ficus to go behind the TV by the cat tower.  Moving things around is nothing unusual for us women.

Tuesday, from 5 am until departure time, Monita was in the dog crate trying to get out and crying for food. 
The gray and white feral cat was hiding in Allan's bush and soaking up some sun, once it came up.
Finally I took Monita to the vet at 9:00.
Then I worried about her all morning. 
I hit four stores on the way home, if you call Dollar General and Family Dollar shopping.  I was in search of a cat litter that would not stick in Monita's de-clawed paws when she gets home.  I found Feline Pine pellets (no chemicals added) at Food City and hoped they would work.

I prayed each time I started to worry about Monita, which was a lot.  I half expected the vet to call for me to come back and get her because she was too sick to operate on.  And then I feared I'd get a call that she died on the operating table because she was not strong enough to handle the procedure.

I took Maggie on a nice long walk to clear my mind, and check on the Library trail.  I took these photos as we left.  I love our house in the woods, by the pond, near the fairway and green of #17.  We went up #18 Fairway to the library and then came down the trail.

I was so relieved when I got the call at 11:30 that Monita was in recovery and had done fine.

While my second load of laundry was in the dryer, I transplanted two more house plants to give them larger pots and new potting soil.  Jan texted to say she was riding to WW Stables, so I quickly finished up what I was doing and went to see her there and horse around with her.  Ground work in the round pen and then bareback with halter and lead rope went very well with Amiga.



Then I rode bare back with my usual bridle and bit.  We went all around the barnyard and garden plots and then rode out to the bean field.

We worked on seat and leg cues in addition to speed control, while navigating the weave poles and barrels.






A couple of times Amiga started to get revved up, but I was able to slow her back down and ease her into a quiet gait or walk.  I was very happy with how she did.





We were waiting on the trail ride to return before Jan headed in the direction they were coming from.  So we went out to the large field and rode, until we saw them headed our way.





Once the trail ride passed, Jan headed for home to Terry's and Amiga and I followed the trail group in.







It wasn't quite 4:00 yet, but the sun was going down and it was cooling off.  Scheesh, I don't like the cold and short days of winter.

I took Maggie on a long walk when I got home because I felt she had been neglected.  Then it was time for a late dinner, after which I sat down at my computer. 

Joe sent me several photos of his day with Greg at Turkey Run.  Seen left, Greg during their hike.  Joe seen right, campfire, beer and cigars... nothing unusual, except maybe the absence of poker.

Before you know it, I was out of time and energy for cleaning and starting the Christmas decorating.  I did move all the Christmas stuff down from storage and took several items up to clear room for Christmas trees, decorations, etc.

Wednesday morning, while sitting at my computer, I had this mess to look at.  Notice Stevie in the pile.  As I sat here, I realized it was quite a bit quieter and calmer around the house without Monita causing trouble.  She wasn't here pestering the cat and dog, trying to play with me, coming to see what I was snacking on, or wanting to cuddle.  The peace was nice, but I missed her company.






After Ballroom Aerobics and a weight workout, I ran to the store for milk so I could bake cornbread.  I came home and turned on the TV, tuned to Sounds of the Seasons, and listened to Christmas music while I started decorating.

Wouldn't you know, the first song I heard was "Christmas Time Is Here."  I love this music channel because not only does it give the name of the song, but it flips through different holiday pictures and fun facts about the season. 



It was kind of cloudy outside and threatening to rain, which made working inside doable.  I did take a break to help Brian take a load of leaves to the dump.  He could have done it without me, I was just trying to be helpful.

I had moved plants around again, stored away the pot with reeds from Jan, and decorated the entry.  Above, the cat tower even got this wind sock.  Stevie loves chasing the streamers.

As time would have it, it got dark and I ran out of steam, so it didn't feel like I accomplished much for one day.  I couldn't even stay awake reading in bed.

Thursday morning I made a point not to linger here for too long, and got to work decorating.  Because I always go overboard with Christmas decorations (nothing unusual) it takes me many hours, several days.  I am not quite as gung ho about putting them up as I used to be, but I still really enjoy the lights and festive ornamentation during the gloomy days of December and early January.



Believe it or not, horseback riding with friends takes precedence over decorating.  So as planned, I dropped everything and headed to the barn at 11:30.  I got a call from the vet saying Monita was doing so well she was ready to come home a day early.  I told them I couldn't get there until late in the afternoon.


Above, Amiga and I left Wildwood on our own and rode the power line to Hathaway were we met up with these four.  Seen left, we all proceeded down Marmaduke to ride the Kirkstone loup and adjoining roads (video).

Our group consisted of Jan as usual, and Terry also came along for the first part of our ride.  Christie had trailered over with her neighbor Pat.

Christie rode Pat's big horse, a Friesian and Azteca mix, seen right. 

Seen left, Pat rode her black horse that I can't remember the name of the breed.  He is some type of French thoroughbred.
It was a beautiful day for a ride and I had a wonderful time with my lady friends and our horses.  Amiga had done great when it was just us two, but with the group, she got fairly revved up again.  Seen right, I said farewell to these three just before they turned off for Terry's and I continued down the road towards home, Wildwood.  Amiga picked up the pace, and I let her move out because I was on a limited time frame.

I went straight to the vet on the way home and picked Monita up a little bit after 4:00.  On the way home, she was going nuts clawing at the cat carrier, trying to get out.  When I took her out and put her in the dog crate at home, the carrier had blood all over where she had been digging and clawing.  Ugh.  My worries had returned and my peace was disrupted.  The bleeding stopped fairly quickly, but I left the sweat shirt in the dog crate to absorb any more.

I got an update from Joe who was quite excited about shooting a 69 (3 under par) at the Covered Bridges golf course near Louisville.  Greg had not fared so well.

A few times during the evening I let Monita out to walk around.  She seemed pretty tender on her front feet.  I will keep her confined in the dog crate for several days so she doesn't get too rambunctious and start more bleeding.  Maggie and Stevie were very interested in checking Monita out.  There was nothing unusual about the rest of the evening.  It got dark way too soon, I walked the dog a few times, I sat here at my computer, and I got sleepy way too early.

Friday morning I was up at 4:30, after eight hours of sleep.  Stevie slept with me, but woke me up a few times, scratching herself.  While tea brewed, I checked on Monita, let her out to walk around, and gave her some loving.  Then as I stuck her back in the dog crate, I slipped her some can food, which is not part of the usual routine, but I felt sorry for her.  Stevie and Maggie thought this most unusual and unfair that they didn't also get some good grub.

The Buck Stops Here.



We had this Buck come for a morning visit before I got duck & deer corn and the bird feeders out.  So he didn't stay long, but stopped for a few licks on the salt block.

During one session when I let Monita out of the crate, she wandered over to investigate the streamers of the Christmas wind sock, because she hadn't seen them before.

Unfortunately, trips to the vet have become nothing unusual.  This time, I took Stevie who I suspected had ear mites.  I don't want the cats transferring these little parasites back and forth.  I came home with extra medicine to treat both cats again in four weeks.




I had planed to spend the day putting up Christmas decorations, but got totally distracted by Monita.  I hated to see her penned up in the dog crate, although she has been fairly content in there, resting most of the time.






But I let her out on several occasions to give her some lovin' and let her interact with Stevie and Maggie.






I think she still had strange smells on her because the cat and dog kept sniffing and inspecting her.




Several times I had to remind Maggie to be gentle, and she would go to her bed to ponder this.  She really wanted her little kitty friend to be more lively.


Monita enjoyed basking in the sun.  And I tried to get photos of her surgery sites.















Her abdomen looked better than her paws, and didn't seem to bother her at all.  She was walking very tender-footed and I could tell her front paws were quite sore. 

De-clawing is a very controversial issue among cat owners, and I can see why.  But I will not have a cat in the house that is scratching up all my furniture, screens, curtains, lamp shades, etc.  It is very difficult to train them to not scratch on anything but their designated posts.  I have tried it with several cats I have owned.  So now, I will not acquire a cat without the option to de-claw its front paws. 





Had I not rescued Monita and brought her home three months ago, I do not think she would be alive today.  If given the option, I think most cats would choose to endure some pain and suffering to live a pampered life as a well-fed, vetted, and cared for indoor cat for the rest of their long life.  This is a better alternative than to suffer with parasites, starvation, extreme weather conditions, being preyed upon, and with a statistically much shorter life as a feral or even outdoor cat.

Monita was content to hang out in the sun with the cat and dog.










Knowing Jan and Terry were riding to Wildwood, and needing to get a pet care instruction sheet from Jan, I put pet time and decorating on hold and left for the barn.

Seen through the barn window, Zorro greets Pat while she gets Rocky.  She, Jean and Jo were preparing to go for a little ride.  Amiga was way out in the pasture, so I worked with her again, to stand still by a big rock I was on, and then got on her bareback. 
I love these yucca growing wild out in the field.








I had planned to ride bareback, and go out and met Jan and Terry.  As I rode out on Amiga, I got these photos of Zorro.  I like these two shots with the different dried weeds in the foreground.













Zorro saw us and came over to say hi and then his buddy Tiaze came over. 


Pretty soon the boys got bored with Amiga and I and went back to grazing.

I turned Amiga towards the trail and headed off to the bean field.  Jan and Terry were there and we horsed around working on the barrels and weave poles.







Once Pat and Jean rode by, Jan, Terry, and I headed toward the power line.  I turned Amiga back around and on the way home looked (again) for Terry's crop we couldn't find earlier.



I found it in the bean field, got off to pick it up, and then had to work Amiga near a gate to get her to stand still for me to climb up the gate and get back on her.  This is one disadvantage of riding without a saddle - it is hard to get on your horse.

Once back to the barn I practiced getting Amiga to stand still along the round pen fence while I got on and off her several times, until she seemed quite reliable to not move away from me.

Just before I left, I got this (video) of the horses coming in for their evening feeding.

Okay, just so you know, I'm not the only crazy 'put up your Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving' person around.  I took this photo on my way home from the barn... and he puts way more outside than I do.  So my propensity to early and excessive Christmas decorating is nothing unusual!







It was a Moonlighters Dance night spent with Shirley and Mary and having a good time together and with others.  It was nice to get to know Mary a little better.  Joe had gotten home from Indiana earlier in the day and opted for poker instead of dancing.  I was barely aware of him getting home from poker sometime after I had fallen fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment