Sunday, February 18, 2018

Set To Sail

This week, final preparations were made in order to get ready for our cruise.  It was rainy and cloudy most of the time, which suited indoor chores like laundry, organizing, sorting and packing.

There were several lists (tons actually) to refer to as I collected items to go in the suitcase.  It wasn't just all the different styles and types of clothing, shoes and accessories... there were travel documents, excursion vouchers, medications, first aid stuff, toiletries, electronics, etc. 

After the Saturday meeting of us four ladies that are cruising together, I woke Sunday feeling I had a lot of decisions to make, some with more research needed.  I was late waking, slow to get moving, and unmotivated to get dressed for Church.  When Shirley texted that she didn't have time to go, that worked for me too.







I noticed deer quite early as I sat here at my computer. 

Friend and naturalist from Illinois, Deanna Frautschi, posted this great photo on Facebook and commented "Double vision---whose deer head is it anyway"?  It is kind of an optical illusion.  

View from 17th green of fog in the valley and
the barely visible steeple of the Methodist Church.
I did extra cat care (Monita has been throwing up almost daily lately) and a load of laundry containing clothes I planned to pack.  Looking out at the gray and sometimes rainy sky occurred while I researched about our ship and excursions and made lists.  

Sighting our house from the woods
straight down from the 18th tee box.









Patty dropped by with homemade Snickerdoodle cookies that I snacked on, adding to the other high calorie crap I had eaten, so finally by late afternoon I made myself go out, into the cool, damp air and I walked (with Maggie) the back nine of Druid.  I took several photos. 


Cat tail dying back and getting flooded by sludge.
Since I had been going through clothes, I spent some time organizing my closet.  Then getting tired of the whole business of packing, I sat and watched TV for a few hours before bed.

















Monday morning the gloom continued.  See how foggy it was outside the window behind my computer.  I had more Snickerdoodles with tea for my breakfast of champions.  By 9:30 I met Patty at Ballroom Aerobics and that brightened my day.  I stayed after to lift weights.

It was almost noon when I got home.  After lunch I started this blog and then did more cruise research.   

In this photo with the cats trying to share a bed, you can see that Stevie, on the left is a tan tabby while Monita is a silver tabby.  They are both beautiful. 

This was taken during Sunday's walk.  The water rushing through the spill-way under the bridge makes a lot of noise.  It was quieter Monday when I brought feeders back inside after an early 4 pm dinner.  The cats and dog were delighted to eat so early.  The temperature never got above 39 degrees.

I read through all my papers concerning our cruise, from when we first started planning, and I consolidated needed information, and started a final packing list before quitting to watch some TV.  I took this (video) earlier of Stevie giving Monita a tongue lashing.  Notice the golfers in the background, and towards the end a blue bird at the feeder.


    
I'll wash your face if you'll wash mine.

Tuesday, again it was misty or raining off and on all day.  I hit the road fairly early to get a jump start on shoppers, getting to the FG library right as they were opening at 9 am.  I picked out four paperbacks and will decide after previewing, which two get to sail with me.  At Wal-Mart I netted $152.00 worth of merchandise, spending quite a bit on pet foods, cat litter, and pharmaceuticals.  I went to five other stores, three of them Thrift or Secondhand, looking for an Outback cowgirl hat.  No luck.  I think I'll have to wait and make that my one souvenir purchase I splurge on while traveling.


I got distracted at the Hill Topper's Thrift Store and ended up buying this antique safari theme chest of four drawers for just under 40 bucks.  It is a very interesting piece of furniture and will go great in the entry I think.  The cats certainly enjoyed looking it over.  I set it aside for the time being and will fix its one broken drawer handle and then incorporate it into my entry décor once home from vacation.  For now, I need to stay focused on cruise preparedness.

Joe was home from his five day travels and 'poker tour' when I got home.  After an hour of cruise organizing, I went to the gym for an hour of aerobic work and then did the stretch class.  Joe and I both snacked (trying to pick healthy choices) for dinner and then watched a murder mystery movie together.

Ash Wednesday / Valentine's Day, the weather continued with gloomy skies, but the rain held off until afternoon.  Monita enjoyed the flowery smell of Joe's gift to me.  I met Patty at Ballroom Aerobics as usual.  After class I spent another 90 minutes at the gym lifting weights and showering.


Once home, I set to work here to continue going over all my cruise info as I was preparing to set sail.  Monita napped in her usual, favorite spot by my computer.



This is what my desk has looked like, off and on, the last few days.







Joe and I went early to the chicken pasta buffet for our Valentine's Day dinner.  The food is always good and I overate as usual.  Joe dropped me off at home and went late to his poker game.  After 'chores' I watched TV.

It had rained all night but by 6 am Thursday was done for the day.  I got too warm on our first walk because it was already 60 degrees.










Hobo was down back hunting.  Seen in photo, he/she was lurking right by a chipmunk hole.  His/her gray and white hair blends nicely with the lichen on the trees and rocks.



After lunch I went to the barn to take Amiga on a ride and maybe meet up with Jan.  My horse was quite filthy, with some wet mud but mostly dried and caked dirt on her.



The brushing took longer than usual, but I did get Amiga fairly cleaned up and then tacked up.


I rode out to the bean field to let Amiga graze and was also checking out the footing.  It was muddy and slippery.

Boz and especially Chester were so excited to be hitting the trail with Amiga and I.  Chester loves to wallow in the puddles.





It had gotten to 69 degrees but the sun made it seem even warmer.  Frogs were chirping, birds singing, and spring was in the air.  I had texted Jan and she was out riding fairly close by, so I decided to ride the power lines (the Holly Trail was too slippery) and met up with her.
 




We didn't ride long, because Jan didn't have a lot of time.  I accompanied her back to Terry's and she showed me the training she has been doing with a cap gun and Cash.  She was inspired earlier by the Equestrian Sport - Mounted Shooting.





I watched Jan work with Cash and tried to get a video.  Then she gave me the cap gun and I did some 'shooting.'  Amiga barely flinched with the first shot and was fine with the rest to follow.


Yep, you're never too old to play cowgirl.  😏



As I was leaving Terry's, Jim came riding in.  It was good to see him and hear that Zip was doing a lot better. 









I rode for a little over two hours and Amiga was great.  Most of her gaiting and cantering was unrushed and easy to ride and her transitions between gaits was smooth.  I took this (video) on the way back, but she was a little bumpy.  I think when I ride one handed to video, that my seat and rein hand are not as balanced and that may throw Amiga off a little.  I don't know for sure.




I did some much needed scrubbing of my saddle pad back at the barn and by the time I finished, it was too late for stretch class. 



Joe had a protein drink for dinner so I grabbed a snack and then took Maggie on a one hour long and fast walk.  Joe and I watched a movie along with more snacking.







Rain moved into the area overnight and more was predicted for the day Friday.  I went to the barn at 8 am to get my saddle pad I had let hang, dripping, overnight.  I also wanted to ride Amiga (bareback because the saddle pad was wet) one last time before vacation and make sure she wasn't sore from the workout the day before.  She was great, and enjoyed grazing near the gelding pasture.  Rain started about 9:30 and I headed for home.

I hung the damp saddle pad in the living room so it could finish drying during my twelve day absence.  Last summer when I washed it, it took almost three days to completely dry.  The wool is so thick.  I did some blogging and last minute planning, and still have a lot to do before being ready to set sail.

 



Monita kept taking things from the piles I had formed in the bedroom, and would run away with it in her mouth.  I had to retrieve lip gloss, a pair of reading glasses, a pen, and a little tiny flashlight.  If I am missing something on the ship, I'll know who to blame.
 

 
The girls were half sleeping and half watching  me come and go as I went from one task to another.  My empty suitcase weighed in at 22 pounds.  Sheesh, that's almost half the weight limit.  Mid-afternoon, dodging rain drops, I went to the Wellness Center.  Weights and some aerobics got my blood flowing.  I contemplated a nap when I got home, but had dinner and did more collecting of items to pack. 

 
Then I was off to Red's where I met Ana, Patty, and Shirley at 7 pm. There was a lively crowd, most of the singers were good, and there was plenty of dancing. It was almost midnight by the time I got home.  Joe rolled in an hour after I, and I was still tossing and turning, trying o get to sleep.


I was a little stiff and sore upon waking at 7:00 Saturday morning, and I felt sleep deprived.  An extra cup of tea during my morning routine was necessary.  It was raining lightly and I had the usual traffic at my feeders, including the ducks down at the corn. 

 








I couldn't help but take a photo of Monita's cute little feet while she was curled up, up on the cat tower.

Mid-morning, the cats were chasing each other and both raced across my laptop keyboard, making the screen go blank.  Long story short, one of the "F" keys were hit and all my files and short cuts were gone.  Three hours of Joe's almost continuous efforts, finally got my computer up and working again. 

Meanwhile, I needed to keep working towards being ready to leave town.  I wheeled my suitcase into the bedroom to start packing it, and couldn't believe how heavy it felt.  As I set it down, Monita and I both discovered Stevie hiding in it.  We had woken her up and she was not too happy about being found.







The packing went well, except I had to keep looking for additional items on my list.  By the time Joe got done with my computer, I was nearly beside myself with frustration and angst about being able to get this blog finished before setting sail and having no internet.  I needed to run off some steam, so went to the gym and worked out for an hour.


I finished up packing and still had lots of room left in my suitcase.  Again Stevie was wanting to be with.me.

Joe helped me put Revolution (flea, ear mite, round worm med.) on the cats (dividing each vial up, 1/3rd drop in each ear and on back of neck).  It was like a wet pig contest with Monita but Stevie held still a little better.



I had decided to take Joe's little lap top rather than my i-pad since it was much more user friendly for blogging and doesn't use up screen space for the keyboard.  So I got used to it while trying to finish up this blog.  It was actually much easier to move photos around.

We got word that Teresa had completed her first leg of the trip and was safely at Courtney's after she and Al had traveled in heavy rain and some sleet getting through Illinois from Iowa.  After my usual bed time, I started work on boot bling.  I dismantled and re-stitched two each of three different head bands I had gotten at the Dollar Store.  The original boot is on right side of each photo, with new bling options on left boot.  They each can be switched out very easily for what look I want.




The lack of sleep was taking its toll and I struggled to get my eyes open at 6:00 Sunday morning.  But I had things to do before places to go.  I completed this blog to post, zipped up my suitcase, finalized plant and pet instructions for Joe, showered, and neatened up the house.  Joe took Maggie to the kennel for the day and got the SUV cleaned up. Rick and Darla had driven to Florida a day early and were closing in on Ft. Lauderdale.  

At 9:45 I was set to sail and Joe was ready to roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment