Saturday, June 2, 2018

Big Moves

This week involved some big moves.  And some not so big, but continuous little moves, which added up to a big move.









Sunday 5/27 - was a big moving day for Dan and Val.  The day before they had packed up everything in their apartment, with the help of Val's wonderful parents, Ricardo and Yaneth.  Before sun-up Sunday, they hit the road, driving from Chicago to Nashville.

They had already been on the road a few hours when I got up, and were at a rest stop checking the tarps holding their stuff in the back of the moving truck.




Ricardo rode with Dan in the truck and Val drove a rental car, with Yaneth riding along with her.  I was so thankful our 'kids' had the support of Val's parents for this BIG move.




The only photos I took Sunday were when I was on an evening walk to go look at the waterfall in front of the #14 green of Druid.  I hoped it would be turned on this time.  You can see both pools of water in this photo.  The water spills out of each over their lower wall which is above the natural rock face at the pond's edge.  Below Maggie looks over the edge of the left pool and then (lower right) takes a drink from the pool on the right and the edge of the first pool can be seen up behind her.















This is a type of 'big move' with a lot of water being pumped, to make this waterfall attraction.

Sunday morning Joe reported that it had been a long, boring night at the hospital.  This was a good thing.  With the feeding tube disconnected, Courtney could lie flat and she slept the whole time with no nausea.








I sat with Shirley at Church, then came home and finished last week's blog.  While sitting here, I kept thinking about Courtney and wanted so bad to get her moved home.  I felt it would be such a boost to her spirit and so good for her healing process.
  


Each step in the direction of getting released from the hospital was an accomplishment and I wanted Courtney to see that as progress.  Her abdominal drain was working but she needed to have her feeding tube re-set.  At least she was able to get a bath and her hair re-braided. 

It was an afternoon of waiting.  Joe spoke to Dr. Nirula, the head of her team, and practically begged him to push for the procedure (to put pressure on the radiology team).  Courtney's nurse confirmed that the docs had been trying to get her in.  Radiology normally accepts emergency only type patients on the weekends.
 




Finally, late afternoon, the tube placement was done in Courtney's room, not by the radiology team, but by a PA from ICU that Dr. Nirula recruited.  God was answering prayers.  The patient next door was not so lucky, and made to wait until Tuesday.

We also got word from Dan and Val that their big move was finished (for now) with everything in a storage unit until the mid June closing date on the house.  Silly Daniel acting quite proud.

Before Courtney's feeding tube could be started back up, she needed to have an x-ray to confirm that the tube was in the right place.  More waiting. 

I took Maggie on a long walk of the golf course and had just gone to bed when I got this news and photo.  The x-ray showed tube in well, farther down than ever before.  So they resumed feeding right away.  The other tube on her right side (left on x-ray) is the drain from her abdomen and you can also see the stent (circular object in upper right on photo).

This was all good, and all these baby steps were getting Courtney closer to going home.


Memoridal Day Monday 5/28 - by evening, would marked the 40th day Courtney has been in the hospital.  The time lost 'living the good life' and the pain, fears, and hardship she has experienced, put into perspective the sacrifices made by our military men and women.  We owe them great honor and a big thanks.

Before 8 am, Joe spoke to Resident Aubrey, who indicated at this time, it was all systems go for 'launch' on Tuesday.  Courtney's white count was down to 15, her feeding rate was up to 35 mL/hr and there were no feeding problems.  The team would soon be discussing her case for discharge... to fly home.

This summer, Mirror Lake Blast will be at the four way stop, instead of the hill by the lake.  I walked Maggie there to check out the location of the band and see if people were setting chairs up.  The chance of rain later in the day was 90% so we decided to wait on putting our chairs out.  Shortly after Maggie and I got back home, it started sprinkling.







I opted to sit on the porch swing, drinking hot tea as I read and watched it rain.  Monita and Stevie joined me.














The kitten spent a lot of time grooming and settling in.  Eventually we both took a nap.  It was definitely a lazy afternoon here.

Joe reported that Courtney slept a lot during the day, but that she also went for a walk and had been cleared for discharge by PT.



Mirror Lake Blast was moved into the CCC, but we ladies chose to just stay home.  I would not be busting any big moves this evening.


Hobo followed Maggie and I to the corner and back when we took a walk during a break in the rain (video).  Then it was a quiet evening at home.

Tuesday 5/29 - There were deer in the backyard before sunrise and then later, our neighbor Brian got a photo of this one in his backyard.  I had switched shifts with Mike and went in to open the pool.  I had only been there 18 minutes and then got the call to not open.  So I put out our closed sign, locked back up, and came home.  I spent the morning following Courtney's progress and preparing to be gone for the next couple of days.  


This was the day of big moves for Courtney.  All of us were so excited when she was finally released from the hospital, 40 days after going in.









Courtney was a trouper during this whole BIG MOVE to get her back home.  Mike did an awesome job transporting her all the way, with Joe's help as needed.  She was going in style with pink in her braids and matching pink shoes.












They sat in First Class to be sure Courtney would be as comfortable as possible.  Joe sat in steerage.  




The flight was fairly uneventful, although Courtney did throw up once.  There was also a little more turbulence than usual because of thunderstorms rolling across the country.  The only other complication we faced was traffic, because of President Trump's arrival for the 7 pm rally at the Municipal Auditorium right down town Nashville.



Just 75 minutes before the Delta flight landed, from Salt Lake City with our three, Air Force One touched down at Berry Field Air National Guard Base, which uses the same runways at Nashville International Airport.  We knew there would be road closures so allowed extra time. 




I was actually held up on the exit ramp from I-40 to Donelson Pike.  I was the third car in line at the light when I saw what appeared to be Trump's entourage turn on to the entrance ramp of I-40.  Well, there were two police cars with lights flashing and then the third one who had traffic stopped, fell in line behind the last two.  It was slow going to the airport down Donelson and then signs said all parking lots were full, and I couldn't even get a spot at the cell-phone lot, so just circled around for awhile, with tons of other cars.



It wasn't too long before I got Joe, and then Daniel picked up Courtney and Mike.  They headed straight home to a welcoming home decorated by Daniel.  Joe and I first ran a few errands.  We checked into the hotel, bought some basic groceries, and picked up Subway for everybody (except Courtney who was not allowed anything by mouth).














Courtney was napping when we got there, exhausted from her travels.  We ate and then Mike unpacked Courtney's medical supplies.  Wooo, lots to deal with here.  








Mike took inventory and started setting up the game plan / schedule for when to give Courtney various meds, including tube (NJ) feeding and water down her NJ tube.








Courtney woke up and came out to visit with us after getting her meds, administered by Mike.  First up was her subcutaneous shot of the blood thinner Lovenox.  She will get these every twelve hours until the oral anticoagulant Warfarin (Coumadin) is working.  We talked and Courtney played with the cats, but we all were tired so Joe and I didn't stay long.



Wednesday 5/30 - We got back to Courtney's about 9:30.  Dan let us in because Mike and Courtney were still sleeping.  I worked at my Blog quietly while Joe watched poker and Dan did some online work for Wayfair.  






Near lunch time Joe and I took Courtney to her regular care physician, just for a blood draw because they will be doing the thrombocyte care, while Mike waited at the house for the feeding tube equipment to come.  This trip made Courtney exhausted and once home she went to bed for a nap.


Seen above, she is having a much appreciated ice chip when she woke up, and Wash is keeping her company.  

Late afternoon, while waiting for news on medical records, surgeon contact, home health nurse, and feeding pole set up; we went up and watched Phantom Of The Opera together.  Neither of us had ever seen it.  We enjoyed it.


Dan messing with the kitties and Courtney and I chillaxing while watching our movie.



The feeding tube pole equipment came just before our movie ended.  Once finished with our show, and we knew rush hour traffic was clearing, we hit the road for home.

For way longer than I was comfortable, we drove through torrential rain, thunder and lightening.  As we neared Cookeville, we got ahead of the front, driving out from under the clouds, and it was dry the rest of the way home.









We went to Patty's to pick up Maggie (an earlier photo she took of the dog) and we were home at 8:30.  I had a very late dinner, and the storm game through not long after we got home.  Maggie was too scared to do her business during our walk.  It also took awhile for me to wind down before going to bed.




Thursday 5/31 - I kind of wasted the morning here at my computer and worked on this blog. 

A home health nurse was unavailable for Courtney, so Mike was going it alone for the time being.  He had gotten Courtney's feeding pole set up and the liquids running.  She will not be as mobile, but is getting 24/7 nutrients and fluid per Dr's orders.  Squeaky was keeping an eye on things.  Mike was also trying to get the medical records (some 700 pages) and the referral, from U of Utah Hospital to the recommended GI doctor, but it was a bureaucratic mess.










Here at home Stevie and Monita were playing hide and seek.  Just before leaving for work we got word that Courtney was vomiting persistently and at one point had partially caused her tube to go up in her throat.  It scared her, and she was still feeling really sick.  I had stayed in contact with her off and on during my shift.  Mike ended up taking her to the Vanderbilt ER.  And, due to storms settling in the area, I ended up closing the pool shortly before 5pm.

The ER was crazy busy, but due to Courtney's condition, they got her in ahead of several others.  An IV was started and eventually an x-ray was taken. 

Joe and I watched the three hour finale of Survivor while waiting to hear news of Courtney.  We finally got word that her x-ray showed the tube was okay and they were on their way home.  Courtney's symptoms were within the normal range of what someone in her condition can expect.  Nausea is par for the course at this stage of the process.  Her stomach still isn't "awake" yet, as it is partly paralyzed after being squished for four weeks.  Her intestines are also sluggish.


Friday 6/1 - I sat at my computer communicating with others and working on by blog most of the morning.  I also started a load of laundry.  The sun was in and out from behind the clouds, but Joe still laid out in it.  Notice Maggie and Hobo both joined him. 





Mid morning I went to the gym and worked out on weights and the elliptical.  Then I went to the Conference Center for an employee appreciation luncheon.


Home to change, next I went to the barn to check on Amiga.  I rode her to the bean field and she felt pretty good.  But I could tell she was ever so slightly off.

Once finished with Amiga, I gave Zorro some care.  I had Ambrie take these two photos to send to Courtney.  He got brushed, fly sprayed, hoof care, etc.



I came home and took Maggie on a little 45 minute hike on the Seven Bridges trail.  It was all uphill on the way back to the house.  Joe was off playing poker and I finished up a second load of laundry.

There was no news on Courtney, so I assumed she had a day without any major issues.


Saturday 6/2 - I worked a morning shift because I had switched with Mike so I could have the night off.  We had some clouds and one little pop-up shower, but there were still plenty who came to the pool.  When Joe came to the pool (partly to bring me my phone) he shared a parking space with me.







I had just over an hour after getting home before I needed to be ready to go.  I walked Maggie, watered plants, showered, and packed my purse for the evening.  I would have loved a nap on the porch swing with Stevie.


 Patty picked me up so Joe could have my car for the night and we were off to Hebbertsburg where we met up with Shirley, her daughter Kris, and several others.  Dinner was good and the dancing even better.  Some big moves were made out on the dance floor.







This (video) of the Sweat T's clogging and later (video) some of us trying to remember the Chicken Dance.

Today Courtney continued to struggle with nausea and vomiting and had to make a trip to her general Dr. for care of her abdominal drainage site that has become infected.

No comments:

Post a Comment