Saturday, July 21, 2018

Facing Our Foes


Life is full of challenges and adversity.  Problems, large and small, present themselves to us throughout our whole existence.  Regardless of how sharp, witty, or happy-go-lucky we are, we will encounter struggle, challenges, difficulties and any number of foes. 

Our foes can be external or internal, brought on by others, nature, or ourselves. 

Fear is one of the many enemies lurking inside us; as is doubt, indecision, and worry.  We also battle with bad habits, addictions, and uncontrollable emotions like anger, jealousy, and hate.  When we respond positively and constructively to our biggest challenges, the qualities of strength, courage, character and perseverance emerge from deep inside of us.  As you face off in battle against your foes, remember to never give up.  A while ago, Allen sent this card to Courtney and I.
Sunday 7/15 -  I scurried out into the yard to get some work done before the rains came, but didn't accomplish much.  The thunderstorms hit, with hard rain at 12:30 and continued for a few hours.   













I tried sitting out in my new 'office' to blog, but ended up taking a nap on the porch swing, listening to it rain.


I still felt so groggy, being quite slow to recover from all the excitement at the start of this month.  I had a cup of tea while working on photos here at my computer and Stevie enjoyed her new view of the yard.








I met Jan and Polly at the barn and we had a wonderful 75 minute ride.  The leg wraps I have been putting on Amiga's front legs really seem to help support her.






In the above photo you can see Boz's white head following Polly and Rio.  In the left photo, you can see Chester way out front, leading the way. 
I got home late, almost dark, and Joe wasn't back from his afternoon card game, so I made and enjoyed a big toss salad for dinner and soon was in bed.



Shirley, Patty, Joe and Brian with me.

Monday 7/16 - As Courtney's surgery date neared, I was feeling a little anxious.  I think all of us couldn't wait for her to get that gallbladder out.

I left Ballroom Aerobics early to go to dancing friend Patty's strength building class.  I got a great arm workout.


Michelle and some other dancers.






I concentrated on protein for lunch when I got home.  We had had one morning shower and it looked like more could come, so I sat in my office/sunroom and worked on the blog post for the first week of July. 



Reading and an afternoon nap happened later. 

The Jeff Allen and AC Drive band were at Mirror Lake Blast and entertained all of us.  I gave in and had a hamburger and popcorn... eating is one foe I can not concur.  
Seen right is our trash collector Dan and his girlfriend.  
Great music and lots of dancing occurred.  




Tuesday 7/17 - Sister Jean and brother John's birthdays.  I did a fair amount of blogging as a few little storms roll through the area and then the sun would come back out.  I continued with re-mopping of the sunroom floor to get any remaining grout off the tiles, and also messed with furniture placement in the living room.

It was raining when I got to the pool at 1:45 but was clearing off and a bunch of people came in.  A late afternoon storm chased most of them away and I got all my cleaning chores done.  My last swimmer left at 6:30 so I closed then.







I had a salad for dinner and did some computerizing till bed time.  I was starting to fret about Courtney's surgery but didn't want her to know that.  The chance of her pancreatitis reoccurring was a frightening possibility.


Wednesday 1/18 - Was a big day for Courtney.  I had not slept well because I had kept waking from a re-occurring dream of a bear chasing me and others through the woods.  This bear was extra aggressive, smart, and conniving.  Each time I woke, I started thinking of Courtney's procedure and worrying about it.  Was this bear in my dreams Courtney's pancreatitis?  When would it be defeated or 'restrained' for good?  





I woke each time the bear nearly caught me and would start praying, especially for Courtney, and fall back to sleep.  When morning finally did come, I did not feel rested, but my worries had abated.  I took these photos of the sunroom after all the painting was totally done outside.




I finally finished and posted my blog from two weeks ago and started on last week's blog.  I hate that I let these blog posts take up so much of my time and run my life or dictate my schedule/to do list.  This is another foe of sorts.






Joe got to Nashville at 11pm and had Courtney at the hospital by 11:30.  She had been called and asked to come in early.  She was prepped and ready to go by 12:30, but ended up waiting for the procedure until 2:00 after all.

Meanwhile, I went to work early to help set up for our Luau Party.  Donna and DJ were putting on the show.  The music began at 3:00 and I thoroughly enjoyed getting the crowd up and going.  I think everybody had a great time.


 












Several of us tried hula hooping.  Later, ten brave and fun loving ladies were willing to be the Hawaiian Hula dancers.  Donna demonstrated and taught the dance.


















Michelle was a natural at the Hula.







By 4:30 I got word that Courtney's surgery went well, they were able to remove the gall-bladder laparoscopically and she was in recovery.  What a complete and total relief.  This is one less foe she will have to face! 
It was 8:30 by the time I had gotten home from work.  I nearly fell asleep on the porch swing listening to the cicada and reading my book.

Thursday 1/19 - The cats loving their 'tree.'
I went into work 30 minutes early to finish cleaning up after the party.  I had not done the restrooms or table tops.  There were extra crumbs on the deck and some greasy cheese spills that also needed attention.












Courtney was released from the hospital and Joe had her home by 1:00.  I got home at about 2:00 and Joe arrived around 3pm.

My new desk had come in the mail and I was wanting to start assembling it, so brought it into the sunroom.  


Well, I decided first I had to water dried and scorched plants outside, they were looking so sad.  The yard was such a mess that  I picked up sticks and weeded while watering stuff.  So, it was almost 6:00 by the time I got done.  
I did get the desk parts out, counted, and sorted, but that was the end of my productivity for the night.  Although I did finally finish the Michael Connelly novel, 'Lost Light' that I had started when flying to Utah the end of April.

Friday 1/20 - I'll clean your head if you'll clean mine.  I worked all day in the sunroom while the cats played, fought, slept, and cleaned each other.  









I alternated computer time with desk assemblage.  It was a two man job so Joe and I worked together before he had to leave for golf.  We had the frame done and without the glass it was light enough to move around and try at different angles in the corner along with the cat tower.


I love the cat tower in front of the window by my desk, but it covers one of the registers.  So I was figuring out what other furnishings I wanted and where to put everything.

I was also designing a high corner shelf and making it and planning for another platform or way for the cats to get up to the corner shelf from the cat tower.  The sunroom will be a cat haven as well as my sanctuary.  



Once Joe was done golfing, we added the three sheets of tempered glass to the desk and moved it into position, just to see how it would look.  I wasn't done designing and making cat shelves, so we pulled the desk back out.

I had one little adjustment to make with a plastic end on the desk, and being very careful with a hammer and wood block, tried tapping the plastic into place.  The block was also touching the glass plate and this happened!

I was immediately furious with myself, swore up a storm, and couldn't contain my anger.  I felt like bawling too.  My internal foe was rearing it's ugly head.  I was supposed to go to a dance, but knew I would never make it, so spent over 90 minutes cleaning up the mess.  I swept up the main glass, vacuumed everything and then washed down everything and mopped the floor really well. There were tiny little shards everywhere, even on the window sills.  By the time I had finished, I felt like I had wasted the whole day.



Once I had everything cleaned up and back in place, except the missing glass, I took a much needed shower. 




I added an old board to the desk to give me a little more work space until I could get another glass replacement.  Then I made myself popcorn to go with my beer.  I sat here seething still, but also communicating with and worrying about Courtney, who had started feeling worse.
We were also under a tornado watch and then the warning siren went off.  I stayed out in my sanctuary, watching and listening to the storm which never got any worse.  Joe was keeping me posted on the local weather report.  Everything stayed south of us.
Saturday 1/21 - at 2am we got hit with a big thunderstorm, lots of lightening, and a very heavy downpour.  I ended up sitting in the closet with our scared doggie because she had been trying to crawl under our bed.  I started a Janet Evanovich book Cathy had given me.  Then Monita started crying and scratching at the closet door so I had to let her in so she wouldn't bother Joe anymore than she already had.





At the start of the day, Courtney reported feeling even worse and had thrown up.  I was starting to get worried about her pancreas acting up again and communicated with her.  I was concerned she didn't want to face this foe yet again.





This photo was taken before I went to work.  With all the rain, more and more sand is washing down into the inlet of the pond and there is very little water visible.  I recon I'll be moving some of it out so that we still have 'water front.' 

I worked 1:30 - 7:00 and both Joe and Patty dropped by to swim and sun.  Patty reported that she had gotten almost 2 1/2 inches of rain in her gauge overnight.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment