Saturday, September 22, 2018

Pausin'


My life seems to be so much go, go, go.  I had pictured retired life sitting in a hammock reading a book, or on a porch swing drinking tea.  I didn't realize I was going to be so busy.  But, all the activity is my choice.  Partly, I don't sit well, I need to be on the go.  But also, I feel an active life style is healthier.  However, pausing to rest is also important.




Sunday 9/16 - was supposed to be a busy day with work and an employee pool party.  But both were cancelled because of the cooler, and very rainy weather.  It was so gloomy and rainy in fact, neither Shirley or I could get motivated to go to Church.



Pausin' at my computer, I watch my silly cats playing.


















But even the cats sometimes take time to pause the action.








I was thinking I should get productive, but after a few very busy days, I did not feel bad about pausin' the play button and just resting.  I napped while it rained.  

After lunch I met Patty and Shirley at the CC pool.  We exercised in the water for 30 minutes and then sat in the hot tub.  My neck, shoulders, and back really needed that.


I actually took a second nap and then went to the barn.  I hadn't planned to ride and mainly went to stop in at the Dorchester pool and feed Dorey and her kittens.  But when I pulled into the barn, Polly and Jan's cars were there and their horses weren't.  So I quick swung up on Amiga bareback and set out in search of my saddle sisters.  










Well, as it turned out, the two riders had gone across the road and I had gone the other direction.  But it ended up being the most serene ride I have had in a while.  With the dampness from the rain, there was a peace and a quiet throughout the woods.

Once back at the barn, I encountered the two ladies.  They didn't hang around long, and I paused to care for Amiga and gaze upon her beauty.  What a sweet horse I have.
Michelle, Mary, and I at Sheri's.
Celebrating Del's life.

Monday 9/17 -  It was another cold, gloomy, rainy day.  Perfect weather for pausin' my busyness and reflecting on life.  It was also good for lazin' around or getting inside work done.  I did a little bit of each.

Joe had gotten home from Nashville late the night before and was still in bed when I left for the gym at 9:00.  Ballroom aerobics was fun as usual and then I had a good weight workout.  Except I got a little snooty with a man who had taken a long time (sitting and resting between several sets) on the Ab machine, the last machine I needed to use.  He had gotten up to leave, had his towel and water bottle, but was standing resting his arm on the bar.  I politely asked if he was finished, his reply was accusatory, and well, that set me off.  I hate when I let people annoy me to the point of reacting in an un-loving manner.  I need to be mindful and practice the pause so I make better choices.


I came home planning to sort papers, but got so sleepy, I moved over to the couch.  My hour nap was a hard, deep sleep that was difficult to wake up from.  But Jan's text message had waken me and she was ready to meet at the barn and ride.






The skies were threatening, but rain wasn't forecasted till later, so we saddle up and headed out.  Amiga and Zorro greet one another.








We rode for a little over an hour, doing most of our riding in the big bean field because it was newly planted with winter rye and the footing was perfect.  We took (videos) of each other as we worked our horses on a slow lope and faster canter.  Amiga had a good workout and was treated to a cool washing off when we were done.



It poured rain while I was driving home.  Joe was at poker so I grabbed a bite of left-overs for dinner, fed the critters, and took Maggie on a walk once the rain had stopped.  Then I was off to Jan's, who had invited some of us saddle sisters over for cake and ice cream.  I brought some chocolate wine we also indulged in. 

Polly, Jean, Deana, Shirley, and Jan








Everything was delicious and we enjoyed conversing.  It was almost 10pm when I got home and done with one more dog walk.  Although late, I struggled to get to sleep, I think because of the long nap I had taken.


Tuesday 9/18 - Mid-morning Joe and I started on a project, cleaning out from under the deck and sunroom, sorting through and re-arranging stuff that was stored there, and moving boards from the garage, back to under the sunroom.  Once Joe had gotten me started on this job, he left for a golf outing.  I got this side under the porch done, but before I was able to finish, I realized how late it had gotten, and had to scurry to get to work on time.

It was another beautiful day at the pool.  Warm sun, cool water, and nice crowd.  The time went quickly, as I spent much of it talking with people.


Joe grilled pork chops for dinner when I got home and I helped with the accompanying veggies.  Maggie and I walked for 30 minutes and then Joe and I settled in to watch a movie on Netflix.  He went to bed before the movie was over, but I watched to the very 10pm ending of the love story.





Wednesday 9/19 - there was not a single time for pause this day.  I was at the gym by 8am and did a rigorous weight workout.  Ballroom aerobics was next.  I rushed home, put on hiking cloths, loaded the dog in my hatchback and hurried to town.  I was six minutes late picking up Joe.  We went to the Woodlawn Trail and hiked it.


Maggie enjoys cooling off and getting drinks in the creeks while we hike.  It was already getting too hot to enjoy hiking and we didn't have time to do the next trail.  So I dropped Joe back off at the tire shop where he had left the SUV.  He was off for his poker game and I for Fairfield Glade.


I dropped Maggie at home and then went to get gas and some food at Food City.  Another quick change and dog walk and I hurried off to the barn to check on Amiga.  She had come out of the stall Tuesday morning stiff and sore but this morning she was even more lame.  Judy had given her a Bute and put her in the pony pen.  Amiga looked okay while I was walking her, so to better tell if there was a problem, I got on bareback (because I can better feel when she is off).  I rode her to the bean field and she seemed fine.  I let her graze a few minutes and then rode back to the barn (video).  Going down hill she acted stiff but otherwise seemed fine.

From the barn I went to the pool for our Wet and Wild Wednesday party.  There was already a good size crowd gathering.  Shirley and Patty came a little later on.


We shared appetizers, stories, and enjoyed swimming and music.  I help Mike with some chores after the 5:00 closing time and then came home to feed our critters and shower.  Still not ready to pause for the day, I took Maggie on a 30 minute walk.  Then I put on my jammies and couldn't stay awake past 8:30pm.


Thursday 9/20 - I lingered here long enough to see these deer down back, but was soon off to the barn to check on Amiga before she came out of the stall.  She was quite sore stepping out on her right front leg.  I am getting discouraged that she is so 'delicate' that I can't even ride her a little hard without her coming up lame.  I had even had her support leg wraps on at the time, Monday.  I decided to put her out with the mares to see if the movement would help her sore leg, or make it worse.



From the barn I went straight to the pool for my morning shift.  I had gotten there early to clean bathrooms and tables as a way to help Mike out from the party the day before.  It was a beautiful day to be at the pool, but I hardly had any customers.

Once home, Joe and I wavered between going to town to hike, or not.  He decided it was too hot and humid, and I tended to agree.  Plus I wanted to get the rest of the boards cleaned out of our garage.  




I finished cleaning under the sunroom and then stored all the excess lumber down here.  It may look a little junky, but is organized.  Then I watered all the plantings down back since it has been so hot and everything was looking dried out.

After salads for dinner, we watched two episodes of the 'Safe' series.

Friday 9/21 - the wind had picked up and the temperature dropped so it was pleasant out on the screened porch.  I had opened the doors back up and noticed Stevie watching theses deer.  The one has brought its little friend to share in the tasty Day Lilies.








I did not linger here long, but decided to go to town to get in three of the Marathon hikes I needed to get done.


Maggie and I did a total of 4 1/2 miles.  We started at Soldier's Beach Trail.


Next we drove to St. Raphael Church and hiked the Meditation Trail.




Everywhere I take Maggie, she loves to explore, play with sticks, and cool off and get drinks in the water.


Our last hike was The Plantation Trail along the Little Obed River.  There are some very cool rock formations along this hike.



















By noon, when we had finished and arrived home, it was already steaming up.  Even though temperatures were cooler than the last several days, the humidity was high.
After lunch and a little rest on the porch swing, I went to the barn to check on Amiga.  She was already in for the night at 3:00.  And stiff she was, coming out of the stall.  Thinking exercise made her feel better, I got on bareback, and at a walk went to the bean field with the dogs leading the way.


Jan was out on Cash, so in this second photo we are looking across the field in search of our two riding buddies.  Amiga was worse today than any other time I have checked her this week so I was feeling discouraged.  After letting her graze, we went back to the barn.  Jan was there (we somehow missed each other out on the trail) and she thought it looked like Amiga's front left leg was sore.  Perplexing, because I had seen her giving on her right the last several days.
The evening activities included friends and dancing.  Joe and I donned our Hawkeye shirts and went up the hill to the library building for the Moonlighter's Football themed dance.  Patty, Shirley, and Mary met us there.














Shirley, Patty, and Joe left before the 10:00 end of the dance and Mary and I went on to Reds where we met up with Michelle and Sherri, and Sherri's brother, sister, and parents.  More fun and dancing continued.


Saturday 9/22 - Now that fall is officially here, I guess the cooler temperatures are what is to be expected.  I woke at 5:30, after only five hours of sleep and proceeded to be sluggish all morning.

I ducked into the CC to check out the Trash & Treasure sale.  Luckily most of it was trash so I didn't spend any money.  Next door at the gym, my weight workout turned out to be quite wimpy, with more pausin' than usual between machines.


During my 1-5 shift at the pool, I actually saw two of the five kittens that the Mom (whom we have been feeding) ended up bringing around for food as well.  They were playing with each other's tail.  It was a very quiet shift because it was supposed to rain, but never did.

Joe and I went to the comfort buffet at Legends and then I was uncomfortable because of consuming too much.  We watched two more episodes of "Safe" before I hit the hay.

I pause each night to pray after turning off the lights.  Even though there were several on my prayer list, I kept it short because I was falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment