Saturday, June 29, 2019

Tralier, Stall and Tent

I have always enjoyed the Roger Miller song, Trailers For Sale or Rent.  So this week's blog title is fashioned after that song title.






Just a few weeks ago we rented an RV to check out that mode of outdoor accommodation.  At the start of this week, we tried a different form of camping.  We took Amiga, in the trailer, to a horse campground.  I slept in the tack room of the trailer,  Amiga got a stall, and Joe slept in the tent.


Sunday 6/23 - we started the trailering process early, not knowing how long it would take to get Amiga on, even after 'practicing' the past two days.  It was a longer process than I had hoped for (just over an hour) and required a short break for me, while Pat worked with Amiga.  This helped to calm both Amiga and I down.  Finally, once Amiga decided to cooperate with me, she slowly walked on and stood quietly, while Joe latched the butt bar and closed up the back ramp.



The 80 minute drive wasn't bad, but neither Amiga or I travel very well, and were both anxious to get our feet on firm ground when we arrived at Timber Ridge Horse Campground (Link) in Big South Fork.  Amiga did kind of rush off the trailer, but I was in no mood (mind set) to work with her on this process any more for the day.


Seen above is our assigned campsite, that we later chose to switch from.  I let Amiga graze while Joe had tried to set up the tent, but there was too much gravel, so he drug the tent to a grassy spot and pitched it there.  Joe moved the trailer to our new spot and I tied Amiga to it and got her stall set up in the large, 40 stall barn.













While Amiga relaxed in her stall, ate hay, and finally drank some water, Joe and I enjoyed our picnic lunch.  Her stall can be seen behind Joe, where her halter and rope are hanging.





After we all unwound, got nourished and refreshed, we set off on a hike together.












We had an impossible to read map, because of the print quality, so wandered around on the trails in the woods, on the fringe of the campground.

We did find our way to the camp's trail obstacle course and I had fun taking Amiga through it.  She hardly hesitated at any of the obstacles and did all the ones I asked.  If only she would be this cooperative getting on the trailer.

Joe took several photos and I got some photos and took this (video).






















Once done messing around at the obstacles, we continued on, back deeper into the woods.  Since staying together was near impossible with Amiga's faster pace, and horse trails aren't the best for hiking, Joe decided to head back to camp and drive to nearby Pickett State Park to hike.








I headed out on Amiga to ride one of the trails.  I soon came across this sign and took a photo of it to use to navigate, rather than use the crappy paper map I had.  Amiga and I went on a loop of one of the trails.


There were signs and trail numbers posted along the way, which really helped me to find our way.


These downed trees were at one section of  an old trail.  I am guessing straight line winds took them down.






We got back to camp, Amiga quite hot and sweaty, about two hours after we had left.  I tied her to one of the wash racks and gave her a gentle hosing and cooling off.  Look how pretty she looks all washed off.














Amiga was relaxing more and more, as she got more and more comfortable with her surroundings.  There was only one other group of three ladies in the campground the whole time we were there.  Amiga would occasionally call out to their horses, and often look in their direction.


I was dying of heat, had not brought any shorts with me, so borrowed a pair of scissors from the ladies and converted my jeans into shorts.  I had a second pair of jeans to wear the following day.









Joe had the keys to the trailer tack room where all my stuff was, so I had no chair, book, or towel to use.  So I put the cut off pant legs on Amiga's back and sat on them, and let her graze around the campground.


You can see my 'new' shorts in this photo Joe took once he arrived back at camp.

It was a beautiful night, but would have been better enjoyed if the threat from a line of thunderstorms hadn't been looming overhead.  We debated starting a fire to cook our dinner and sit around, because the storm was very likely to hit at 6pm.









Finally we decided to go ahead and take our chances,  The campground had a community building, with full kitchen we could use, so that was our back-up plan.



Once Joe got the fire going, I put Amiga in her stall, and kept a close watch on her to be sure she was drinking.  And luckily, the storms never came.








It was peaceful by the fire, and we both wished we had brought a second beer each.  Once it got dark, there wasn't a lot to do, so we hit the hay.



Monday 6/24 - Amiga woke me with a loud nicker at 3am, so I got up to check on her.  I needed to use the restroom anyway.  I took the dog with me, so she got a potty break too.


I was able to then go back to sleep until 6:00.  While my tea steeped, I got Amiga out of her stall and walked her around and let her graze.  Then it was breakfast time.

Joe took this photo during his hike the day before.






I was tacked and ready to ride by 8:00.  I wanted to beat the heat and humidity.  The camp of three ladies were also up and moving, and they were concerned about another line of storms due to hit at 11am.  Joe had also seen this on the radar.



So we all got a move-on.  Joe again drove to the nearby park.









Amiga was fantastic out on the trail, and the trails were absolutely wonderful.  They were mostly sand or gravel, and fairly level.  There were several rock formations and the rhododendron were in bloom.

At times we were up and down some hills where it was a little rocky, but nothing compared to the Wildwood trails.

Other times we would be right at the back of horse properties, and once we were along a road on a well worn dirt path.  Amiga liked seeing fellow horses as we passed by.


There were three or four creek crossings, and at one (video) we had to go upstream a bit before coming out on the other side.  The ladies at camp had warned me about it because you can't see the trail on the other side until you are in the creek headed upstream.
My morning ride could only have been better if there wasn't the threat of the storm and the worry of getting Amiga loaded in a timely fashion once back to camp.  I would have loved to gone farther, but was due back at camp at 10:00 and six miles was plenty far for Amiga to go in her current condition.


I had to push Amiga to get us back in time, but Joe was not there yet.  He ended up being about 45 minutes late because he had gotten lost out on the trail.  These two photos some he took.

Waiting for Joe gave me a chance to get 'all my ducks in a row' and be ready to load Amiga and go.  But it also gave me extra time to start worrying about the process.  As it turns out, it only took 20 minutes to get her to calmly walk onto the trailer.  But, as much as I try to keep calm and relaxed, those are a stressful 20 minutes for both Amiga and I.  Luckily, the rain never came so that made things easier.



The drive home seemed shorter than coming.  Amiga, in her usual fashion, kind of rushed off the trailer, and this time, she scraped the hair off her hip where it hit the center vertical bar where the butt bar attaches.  So I worked her there and got her to go halfway on and calmly walk backwards off, before taking her to the barn.  When I turned her loose in the pasture, she went running out to her mare friends, I'm sure with lots to tell them.

Once home, Joe and I had a lot of unpacking and re-organizing to do.  This had been a 'dry run' for Joe before he soon embarks on a longer camping journey with his Illinois buddy Greg.  I would say, overall, the camping/trailering trip was successful.  However, I am not sure it is worth the hassle and stress.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just sell the trailer and not put Amiga and I (and others) through the loading and un-loading stress.  Other times I debate getting another or a different horse.  For now, I will keep working through this difficult loading training process.

I skipped the gym, took a much needed shower, and had a long nap.  Once revived, I was ready to go to Mirror Lake Blast.  Unfortunately, due to the questionable weather, it was moved indoors.  So it was a much smaller, and quieter crowd that showed up.

The band was good, funny, and great musicians and impersonators.  Micki (Michelle) and Sheri showed up shortly after intermission and were so rowdy, the band picked on us to come up and help with this song (video).  Sheesh, the things peer pressure gets you into.  But I had a fun time.

Tuesday 6/25 - I went to the barn before Amiga was turned out with all the other horses, to see how she was doing.  It had been an active two days for her and I wanted to be sure she was still sound.

I saddled up and headed out on the trail for a short ride.  This was a good time to go, before the heat and humidity made it miserable.

The Holly trail really is a pretty trail.  I rode to the creek and back because the other side of the creek is still blocked by downed trees.  Amiga seemed none the worse for wear, and did great.









I had time to do a little weeding out front, and pick up sticks, before going in to work.  The pool was quite busy and it was almost 8pm by the time I got home.


Wednesday 6/26 - Wanting to keep trailering fresh in Amiga's mind (and mine) Jan and I planned to trailer into the Glade after her Dr. appointment.  I got the trailer hooked up and Amiga ready to go, and then had a long wait because Jan's appointment went much longer than expected.  Amiga did get to graze much of the time.







Once Jan arrived and had Cash ready, I started the loading process with Jan's help.  It took Amiga about 20 minutes to finally decide to get on the trailer.  We drove to an uninhabited road near Marie's house and unloaded.  Patty met us out there to help.  Amiga scraped her hip again coming off, and then Jan unloaded Cash.  Because we were behind schedule, I didn't ask Amiga to get back on the trailer to come off slower.

It was a hot ride because we were out at high noon.  The trails were nice because they were freshly mowed.  It was also nice to chat with Jan while we rode.

Marie came from the pool to see our horses and help with the loading process.  She did great managing the butt bars.  Amiga was hot, tired, and with Cash on the trailer first, she took about five minutes until she decided to get on.



Again, unloading back at Wildwood, Amiga went too fast and scraped her hip a third time.  Once Jan got Cash unloaded, I worked with Amiga having her get on and come off slowly.  She tends to start backing off before she is all the way on, but at least it is done slow and calmly.  About the forth try, she stood quiet with her back feet almost on the trailer, and I decided that was good enough.


I was exhausted and starved when I got home.  Patty was game to meet me at Legends for the chicken pasta buffet, so after a quick dog walk and shower, I met her there.






Patty and I enjoyed a great meal together, and we chatted away between trips to the buffet line.  We hadn't seen each other in awhile and had lots to catch up on.  I was stuffed and needed to 'walk it off' so took Maggie around the golf course.  The sky was very pretty.  Micki just happened to be out walking too, although we didn't see each other, and she posted this photo on Facebook.  It is looking from the tee box of #17, towards Turtle Pond.

Thursday 6/27 - It was a full day of rest for Amiga.  I didn't even go to the barn.  And I actually spent a great deal of time here getting this blog started.

I love this 'flower' bed beyond my window, and while looking out, noticed the bird bath and feeders all needed filling.

I made it outside to do a little neatening up in the yard, but didn't have time to take care of the birds before going to the pool.

My shift at work was busy and a little too crazy.  With some disorderly conduct, a register that wouldn't balance, and lots of friendly, chatty customers, I was on the go the whole time.  I didn't get home until 8pm again.



Friday 6/28 - I woke a little before 2am and got up 30 minutes later.  I was already thinking through the trailering process that was still four hours away.  I hate that I let this get to me.









I arrived at the barn at 7:30, and got Amiga ready to go.  While waiting for Jan, Pat tried loading Breeze, and Amiga and I looked on.  Cash was racing around in the pony pen and all this commotion got Amiga riled up.  Actually, when she sees the open trailer, that is enough to get her all anxious.

Amiga started off bad, running past me, not respecting my space, and backing away from the trailer.  She was wound up and doing everything in a hurry.  I tried to stay calm and relaxed, or at least fake it, but was feeling frustrated and actually kind of mad at her.  I don't know why she does this, and wish she wouldn't get so excited and nervous... and then act quite stubborn.






Once I got her standing and looking into the back of the trailer, I was able to get her to move her feet slowly, and she walked halfway on and then off the trailer, half a dozen times.  She was getting stuck where her next step would be her back feet up onto the trailer from the top of the ramp.  Finally Amiga took the last few steps to get herself into the trailer, and Joe quickly put up the butt bar, while the three of us praised her.  She had gotten on in just under 20 minutes.




This time, when off loading in the Glade, I tipped Amiga's nose towards her right side, and when she came off (a bit fast still) she didn't scrape her hip on the trailer.  This photo shows the injuries she has inflicted on herself.






Jan and I were soon tacked up and on the trail.  It was a great time to be riding.  The temperature and humidity were still bearable and there was plenty of shade.
We meandered on the back roads and down several vacant cul-de-sacs, enjoying our horses, the beauty of the Glade, and each other's company.  We stopped for photos and to give our horses a break.













Jan captured these nice shots of Amiga and I looking out over Lake Kirkstone.



Eventually we arrived at Terry's where we went to say hello and see her new horse.  Donkey was the first to greet us.




Down at Terry's barn we meet her new horse.
The day was heating up fast so we didn't hang around long.


Riding back along Chestnut Hill Rd was a little nerve racking, but at this point, I am more comfortable with it, than trailering Amiga.














Once back to the barn, we checked Map My Route, and had gone 6.6 miles in almost 2 1/2 hours.  I cooled Amiga down, cleaned her up some, and treated her hip scrapes.  When I turned her out with the mares, she took a bite off the salt block, ran to the waterer and got a drink, and then ran to join up with the mares.








I was really tuckered out when I got home.  I had a late lunch, after which Monita tried to help me with the Sudoku from the paper.

Then I got so sleepy, I took a nap on the porch swing.  Sometime while sitting there, Monita decided to beat up on Stevie, who was napping on the chair.























I didn't have the motivation for the gym or yard work, so went in to work on this blog.
















While sitting here, two doe and two fawns ventured into the yard and spent a fair amount of time down back.  Both fawns seemed to be with the one doe.



























I did finally go out to pick up sticks, but didn't have a lot of time because I was meeting Alice, Josephine, Mary, Sandy and some of the husbands at the Social Brew to listen to the Fumblebuckers.

 The acoustics weren't great in the old (looked like it had been a garage) building, and most of the songs I did not recognize.  But the guys in the band were working hard and having a fun time playing.





















Saturday 6/29 - Monita enjoying the soft alpaca fur pad I have on my desk while I had tea and caught up with life elsewhere.  Joe's youngest sister Teresa had been in an accident, riding in a gator and suffered a broken pelvis and injured hand.  Shoot.




I worked a busy morning shift at the pool.  It was hot.  After I clocked out, I stayed and joined Patty and Micki (along with all my customer friends) who had come to swim.


Once home, I worked in the yard for a few hours.  At one point I noticed a Carolina wren in the garage with a twig in her beak.  I soon found this nest, and felt bad about having to evict her.



Joe and I met Brian and Joan at Reds and had a few drinks.








A little later Micki joined us.  We girls were having fun dancing and I think, kept Brian and Joe there longer than they would have preferred.

Micki and I went on to Mega Bites, where they were having the third annual memorial party for a beloved fellow biker and patron.  I didn't know him, but knew there would be great dancing music, which there was.


No comments:

Post a Comment