Saturday, August 17, 2019

Little Things


The little (or simple) things in life can bring the most joy.  I want to always appreciate these ordinary, little things, for they are each a blessing.  I try to remember to thank God for all the small stuff and simple joys.  Often we take them for granted, or don't realize how big they actually are.












Unfortunately, I can get really bent out of shape by some of the smallest irritations.  I don't know why I let some little things really bother me.  I also try to remember to ask God to help me stop and think before I react to the petty stuff that irritates me.  It is best just to ignore it.




Saturday 8/10 - I scurried off to the barn at 8am to put sab on Amiga's scratches (dew fever) which had gotten worse.  Her legs were too wet the night before after I had hosed her off and scrubbed the sore spots with a medicated shampoo.  Then I went straight to the pool, and had a very slow start to the shift.  It was cloudy so my morning regulars didn't come until a little later.  You can see the vacant pool and overcast skies in this photo.




By the time I got off work at 2:00, it was quite hot and muggy, especially since there was high humidity and no breeze.  The clouds had actually helped it feel cooler.  Soon after I got home from work I took a nap on the porch swing with the fan on.  It was quite pleasant and I wanted to linger longer, but I had to get the outside potted plants watered because some were very dry.  I then used the hose on everything down back, until again, I was out of time.







A much needed shower helped cool and clean me off before I went to Spike's Bar and Grill to meet up with Patty Burger and her singles golf group.  Def Leprachaun was the band, and a very enjoyable group.  There weren't a lot of dance songs, but the music they played and stories they told (between songs or sang to music) were hilarious and entertaining.  This was a sadder song that I (video) taped to send to Poker Joe because he likes Gordon Lightfoot.



Sunday 8/11 - I went to Church on my own and then played catch up here around the house with daily and weekly chores.  Joe had gotten knocked out of the main tournament early and was heading home much sooner than expected, but I had to work the afternoon shift at the pool, subbing for MJ.









During lunch out on the porch, I kept hearing a metal rattling noise.  I soon realized it was the trap Brian had set.  When I went over to check, sure enough, Mr. (or Mrs.) groundhog was trapped.

It appeared to have been caught for quite awhile.  Brian was out of town, so I helped out with re-homing this destructive guy (gal).  I loaded the trap into the back of my car.









Then, on the way to the pool, I took it to Overlook Trail and released it there along the rocky cliff.

It was very hot, crowded, and busy at the pool.  We'd had 167 customers so there was plenty of trash to take out and cleaning to do.  I worked a little past 8:00.
Monday 8/12 - I woke at 3:30, and unable to get back to sleep after giving it 30 minutes, got up and finished a novel I was almost done with.  I took an hour nap after sunrise and then started my day again at 7:30.












Seen from my office window, I watched this snapper (through my binoculars) catch and eat a big bullfrog.  I went down to get a photo, but he was already moving on, back into the deeper waters.

After Line Dancing, I did my weight workout, and showered at the gym before coming home.  During my high protein lunch, I got sleepy, so took another nap.

More plants needed watering, which caused me to have to rush to get to Mirror Lake Blast on time.

I put on my "my my my my Boogie shoes."  Awh, one of life's simple pleasures.


Joe, Patty, Shirley, and I enjoyed popcorn and music.  Later, Patty B. and Micki came and joined us.







It was another good band.  They were a fun group and got the crowd participating with singing and clapping, and even some of us got up to dance.  These four from the audience were brought up on stage to help the band out with one song.  It was another fun night.


Tuesday 8/13 - It took forever for me to fall asleep the night before so I didn't wake up until almost 7am.  I felt like I had slept the morning away, but was still tired because I hadn't slept well much of the night.  I shut all the windows and turned on the air conditioner, knowing it was going to get up into the 90s and feel even hotter.  I wanted to get out on Amiga early, because of the predicted heat index, but had gotten a slow start.  So it was after 9:00 by the time I got to the barn.




I headed out on the livery trail, planning to do the long ride, going along Daddy's Creek.  Seen above, I let Amiga rest half way up this steep hill.  Some of the trail was still quite muddy, even though it had been hot and dry for a few days.  A little thunderstorm blew in about 30 minutes into my ride.  As I was coming up along the back side of the winter pasture, I could see steam rising from it, but couldn't really get a good photo of it.


I got off and walked Amiga down the steep, muddy, slippery hill so she would have better balance and less weight on her legs.  Then I continued riding along Daddy's creek (video).  It was actually quite pleasant riding in the rain.  However, we took a shortcut back because I heard the golf course horn go off twice, meaning a storm was on its way.  But there were blue skies when I came up out of the woods.  I think the golf course warning was a little late for the storm that had just pasted.


This unpredictable and fickle weather has been one little thing that is quite irritating.  But I have begun to disregard the forecast or not even bother looking at it, and just gone about my day anyway.

I went to work at 2:00 and later was very glad when a storm rolled in about 6 pm.  This enabled me to get off work 90 minutes early.  A little thing that was so nice.




Some days, life's little annoyances get to me more than they should.  It is a minor thing, but I get so irritated when someone zips by me, sometimes in a no passing zone, and while I am already going five miles over the speed limit.  I love it when we end up at the same red light beside each other.


Wednesday 8/14 - I had taken a sleeping pill the night before because the last three nights had not been good in terms of sleep.  It might seem like a little thing, but lack of sleep can wreck a whole day.  Well, I woke a few times but was able to get back to sleep.  However, the fourth time when I woke at 2:20, I watched the clock for an hour, and finally got up.  I sat out on the back porch drinking tea and reading a James Patterson novel I had just started.  Then I took an hour nap on the porch swing.  I was up again, before 7:00 because a storm had blown in and it was raining quite hard.  At least it didn't last long.  After a third cup of tea, I had a bellyache and still felt foggy brained.

These next three photos were taken in the evening.

I had thought about an early morning ride, but the day's heat was already oppressive, especially with the high humidity.  So I went to the gym for three hours, where it is air conditioned, and did line dancing and a good workout.  My sciatica has improved a lot, but still flares up every now and then.  I continue to do the stretching exercises, and have added some strengthening ones, that Shirley's brother Rick sent me.



I was feeling too tired and it was too hot out to work in the yard, so I went to Druid pool, and while I laid in the sun, I continued reading the (can't put it down) book I had started.  I got in the pool several times to cool off, and also took another nap.






I decided to go back to the gym and rowed and did the elliptical for an hour total (Line dancing isn't really an aerobic workout for me.)  Then after dinner, I took Maggie on a long walk, after the sun was already down and the moon was rising.  It had cooled off and was in the mid 70's and was quite pleasant out.

Thursday 8/15 - Sleep was still an issue, and I woke late but not well rested.  This little Goldfinch is a regular.

Mid-morning I went to a BSF (Bible Study Fellowship - an international Christian interdenominational Bible Study) meeting with Jan.

I picked up sticks in the yard and watered outside potted plants with the little time I had before going to work.  It was a very busy shift, but I enjoyed the work as always.  There was a recreation employee picnic at the pool from 6-8 that I was able to take part in, while also getting my evening chores done.

Friday 8/16 - Another bad night in terms of sleep.  The sleeping pill didn't work, at all.  I guess I just have too much on my mind, but it is all little things.

Body language may seem like a little thing, but we communicate a lot this way.  Like my cats here, you can see discord between these two.






Stevie feels the pressure from Monita and steps down onto my lap while Monita carries out her attack, only getting Stevie's tail.




I got a late start to the barn because first I did a load of laundry, got caught up on this blog, and organized for packing and being away from home for five days.



I had planned to try trailering Amiga, since it had been so long since we have done this.  Never knowing what to expect, being prepared for the worst, I tend to anticipate troubles.  And even though trailering may seem like a little thing, I get all distressed about it.  It is no wonder my horse gets anxious.



Joe got to the barn 45 minutes after me, once the trailer had all my tack on it and I had Amiga ready to go.  He was my assistant and driver.  We got Amiga on in about ten minutes without her getting all worked up.  I think I slowed myself down, and tried to act casual (unanxious) about the process.

A two mile drive into the Glade and now the trickier part, getting Amiga to come off the trailer slowly.  She didn't do too bad, but it needed more work, so as to 'end on a good note.'  These three photos were taken at this point.



Amiga did great, calmly stepping on and off the trailer, with only a couple of attempts to avoid doing so.  We ended on a very good note!  Soon I had Amiga tacked and we were ready to hit the trail.







We crossed Westchester as Joe headed back to the barn with the trailer.  I rode on the undeveloped roads through the woods of the back nine of Dorchester.  It was a bit warm, so we just walked and gaited a little.



I went straight back to the barn, the shortest ridable route, which took almost two hours.  Amiga was given the chance to grab a bite to eat periodically and it was a wonderful, relaxing ride for both of us.







She didn't even rush once the barn was in sight.  I am so thrilled with all these little accomplishments.

Once home, I was quick to change and get to the gym to workout.  And then I was rushing again to get ready for our Moonlighter's dinner dance.



I sat with three other fun couples, enjoyed a good meal, and listened and danced to a great band.









I was up until midnight packing for a quick departure once home from work on Saturday.  I love this (video) of a dragonfly cleaning itself.  You all remember to take time to enjoy the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment