Friday, April 3, 2020

On Hold

I don't like to be on hold, for anything.  I feel like precious time is being wasted.  But in this time of putting our life on hold, well at least all our social activities, let's hope we can put the spread of Covid-19 on hold.

Everyone I know has been affected by the closing of public facilities, the cancellation of programs, and the postponement of events.  Because of all this, I feel like there’s so much missing from what my life used to be like.  I miss the social gatherings, dancing, the hugs, and the pats on the back.  But mostly, I miss the gym.  I miss the camaraderie and encouragement we gave each other while working out.  Zumba and other classes, along with weights, were so much a part of my daily routine.  But for people who work, being laid off or working over time is far worse than my dilemma.


This social distancing, which to me feels like nearly total isolation, has given me an appreciation for being able to go out and do the things I do.  I have friends and people I know that have difficulties walking, some form of dementia, or conditions like MS, and they can't easily get out of the house.  For these people I am very sorry and it makes me realize how thankful I am to have the health that I do have, and once this pandemic is over, the ability to come and go as I wish.  I know the social distancing shall pass and I will one day again be able to socialize, dance, and work out at the gym.


The Covid-19 hardship to me has been so little compared to others.  I know of weddings, graduations, big travel plans, annual vacations, and much more, that have been put on hold.  And then there's the health care workers who have put their lives on hold, and at risk, to help save the lives of so many others.  Also, all of the jobs that have been lost and the earnings put on hold, has affected so many people.  I have given up so little compared to others.  Everybody try to hold on.

Saturday 3/28 - I was at Dollar General at 8am for TP, but had been mis-informed by a clerk earlier in the week.  The truck had just arrived and shelves would not be restocked until the next morning.  Ugh!

I worked in the yard from noon until 4pm, getting many more sticks, leaves, and nut hulls removed.






The ducks had been 'begging' for food, so I got them some corn (video) before calling it quits for the day.






I took Maggie on a four mile walk after an early dinner.  This tree (on #1 tee of Stonehenge) was striking.










I was curious about this black and white American flag with a single blue stripe.  Once home I looked it up - it represents law enforcement and is flown to show support for the men and women who put their lives on the line every day to protect us.  We need a flag to fly to show support and prayers for all our health care workers.


Sunday 3/29 - After five hours of sleep, and unable to go back to sleep, with lighting flashing across the sky, I got up at 2am.  Soon the storm hit as I read my scary and hard to put down book, 'Lightning'.

Later I saw in the news that the strong winds (in excess of 80 mph) had hit Crossville at 2:30 over night.  It left numerous trees down, snapped power poles, took part of the roof off Walmart (photo) and damaged many other buildings.  Judy was without power for close to two days.

 

I ran to Dollar General at 8am and was finally able to purchase TP after two weeks of searching for it.

After a short nap, I started this blog, and worked, and chatted here at my computer until lunch time.






My whole day was truly a day of rest.  No walks, exercising, yard work, or barn.  I did take photos of some trees and shrubs blooming and greening up.

Joe and I listened to Trumb and the Coronavirus Task Force.  They extended federal social distancing guidelines to April 30.  Also, Joe grilled hamburgers and I fixed tater tots, corn, and a salad and we had Patty over for dinner.  Then the three of us 'skyped with our four kids (including Valencia).


Monday 3/30 - I had an exact repeat of the night and morning, as the day before, only without the storm.  The book I was reading had gotten quite exciting.  But a five hour night of sleep just isn't sufficient.

A few days ago the nest out front had two eggs and when I check Monday, it had three.   There is no sign of mom sitting on them yet.

I managed to waste most of the day playing on the computer, reading, and kind of napping.


Our mayor reported being notified by the TN Department of Health that nine residents of Cumberland County now tested positive for COVID-19.  That is an increase of three since Thursday, March 26. 

The only other photos I took all day were of Amiga and I, having a nice long ride in the afternoon.





We took the Holly Trail into the Glade, visited Terry (at a six foot distance), and covered over six miles of ground.  I was in the saddle for three hours, but talked with Terry a long time and let Amiga graze several times.

These last two photos were taken looking towards the barn from the Holly Tail head.  The livery horses are in the big bean field enjoying what is left of the winter rye.













I got home at 6:30, fed critters, ate dinner, did chores (daily kitchen clean up and litter boxes) and was soon in bed reading.


Tuesday 3/31 - I had slept until 6:30, getting nine hours of sleep.  It was a gloomy, rainy day, the first we had in a while, so I welcomed it with the hopes to get some projects done inside.  But it turned out being another do-nothing day (3rd in a row).

Can you see the cardinal in this photo?  He blends in with the red Pieris ‘Forest Flame’ next door.



I did finally tackle the job of trimming cat claws because I had noticed Babe scratching at her left ear, and had really bloodied the inside of it (couldn't get a photo) and also made an open wound just behind it (worse than what this photo shows).  I also cleaned both her ears well and started her on Baytril ear drops - an antibacterial/anti-fungal agent used in the treatment of ear infections in cats.  I had about ⅔ a bottle left over from treating Monita when she did the same thing (scratching her ear) at about the same age, causing an ear infection.



My little kitten keeps insisting on removing the fuzzy pad from the wall cubbie.














And then she nearly trips herself coming across the shelves.














And she practically falls coming down the ladder (see her back left foot in the first photo).





Wednesday 4/1 - Jean was the only one who played a joke on me.  Some say we don't need April Fools' jokes because there can't be anything worse than what the Coronavirus is playing on all of us. 



This little jokester was on top of the 12ft ladder looking in the window.  He was headed back down by the time I got a photo taken.  I had had the ladder out trimming trees and put it here to clean and fill bird feeders, once they were empty.



Monita pestering poor Styx who is just trying to take a cat nap.  Monita pesters all of us - cats, dog, and humans.







I went to the barn to pay my monthly board and go for a little ride.  Well, actually I mostly sat while Amiga ate, put I did put her through her paces around the garden several times and out in the front yard.  

I was cold by the time I got home, because the wind and damp air did not feel like the 50° temperature that it was.  So I made a big batch of soup using some left over hamburgers, the whole milk we had accidentally acquired, along with veggies and potatoes.  

Maggie and I went for a two mile walk after dinner and then Joe and I watched Survivor.  I had the fire going, since the nights we will enjoy it are coming to an end.

By day's end, our (Cumberland) county was up to 16 Covid-19 cases.  Here goes the curve, and this is no joke.


Thursday 4/2 - It was 32° when I stepped out on the side porch to walk Maggie, and I nearly slipped on the frosted boards.  The deer out in back for their morning feed - "Social distancing... we've never he(a)rd of it."








Stevie on my lap while I was at the computer, seems to be expressing how I was feeling - grumpy.  By the time I got done at my computer and talking with Mom on the phone, it was noon.  After lunch I took a two hour nap.


This Carolina wren is missing it's tail.  Something must have almost caught it. 

The day had started out cloudy but the sun did come out for much of the afternoon, and the air had warmed considerably.  These two photos, of the same tail-less bird show how much brighter the day was once the clouds cleared out.  You can also see that I finally got around to re-filling all my bird feeders.



I was woken from a very deep sleep, ending my two hour nap, by the pinging of my phone, which was near my head.  It took many minutes for the fog to clear and me to fully wake up.  Jim and Joe were texting (with me included) about looking at a house Jim and Lori are interested in.  They wanted our opinion about its location and what it looked like outside.



We took Maggie with us and went to the house, under a mile from our house.  As we looked all around outside, I sent photos and comments.  Maggie approved of the back deck. LOL







Then Maggie and I headed out on foot to walk the neighborhood, and part of Druid golf course.  I was really enjoying the day and the sunshine.




First photo, between #3&4
Second photo, above #10 fairway








And this last photo you probably recognize, our house from the #17 green.

After dinner, Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods.  I was wide awake so read out in the living room until just after midnight.

I ask God (and Joe and you) to please forgive me when I complain or am impatient.  I am trying to stay positive, and vigilant as possible, during these Covid-19 times.

Friday 4/3 - I did not wake up until 6:30, getting my usual (needed) six hours of sleep.  The Carolina wren was sitting on her nest of now four eggs when I went to check it.

My old humming bird feeder sprung a leak.  After all the sugar water drained from it, I patched it and filled it again.  Still no good, although it leaked a lot slower.  So I got out this beautiful gifted one from Patty and put the rest of the sugar water in it and hung it up.  I used unprocessed sugar which gives the water the tan color.



I laid in a lounge chair on the deck, in the sun with Joe and finished my Dean Koontz novel. 

Then I worked in the yard for nearly three hours.  Down at the pond, I took a photo of this snapper with it's shell above water.  It wasn't until I was editing photos that I noticed the other turtle in the upper right hand corner.



It was dinner time before I finished removing leaves from this bed.  You can see clutter still in the back, lower left of it.  There is always tomorrow to continue yard work.










After we all ate, I took Maggie for a 3½ mile walk.  I could not get her to look at the camera for a selfie. 


This is the map of the route we took.  I noticed that the woods are really greening up.













Some thought as this stay at home order drags on and there is no end in sight:
Hold the Line by Jonathan Smith -
‘This virus is unforgiving to unwise choices’ Stay strong and in solidarity knowing that what you are doing is saving lives, even as people continue getting sick and dying. You may feel like giving in, don’t!  People are already itching to cheat on the social distancing precautions just a “little”- a short play date, a quick haircut, or picking up a needless item from the store. From a transmission dynamics standpoint, this very quickly recreates a highly connected social network that undermines much of the good work our communities have done thus far.  This outbreak will not be overcome in one grand, sweeping gesture, but rather by the collection of individual choices we make in the coming months.

We shouldn’t consider relaxing social distancing measures until we have slowed the spread, dealt with supply shortages and diagnostic capacity and prepared to deal with patient surges.
Dr. Tom Inglesby

No comments:

Post a Comment