Friday, March 27, 2020

Staying Connected

With lock downs, quarantines, and social distancing ordered or requested, and we are asked not to gather in groups of over 10 or 20 people, more Americans are staying home than ever before.


Remember though, that this is physical distancing rather than social distancing.  We can use technology to stay connected.  As we move through this pandemic, it is important that we stay in touch with each other as much as possible, even though we may feel separated and isolated.


This little cartoon was quite relevant just a few weeks ago, but now, being able to use our electronic devices (to communicate, stay occupied, learn, teach, worship, shop, etc.) is a good thing.  We are able to pass the time and stay connected to God, family, friends, students, and employees.  If you are at home with a family, by all means, put your devices away for awhile and do things together.

I think staying connected to the Earth is also important.  Nature can be our escape right now, from this enemy called COVID-19.  Fresh air, sunshine, and exercise are all also important for us to stay healthy (physically, mentally, and spiritually).

I am not sure what this deer is munching on.

Saturday 3/21 - Friday's rain continued throughout much of the night.  But by morning it had stopped.  However, it was very gray, misty, and chilly outside... all day long.

I would have loved to go ride my horse, hike, walk the cart paths, work in the yard, and lay in the sun... but not until the sun comes out and it warms up. 






The cats were chasing each other and bouncing off the walls, and I was ready to join them.

As typical, I had a big salad for lunch, while working a Sudoku. 



This was followed by reading and a nap.  I did two Coach Wood workouts, repeating one and adding the new one which included spatulas, a pillow, and a chair.  We drummed and danced while exercising.  He is a hoot. 








I fixed dinner with a mixture of ground beef and pork Joe had bought (hamburger was on the list) because the shelves were basically empty.  The added seasoning, veggies and rice made for an exceptable meal.  Note, I didn't say exceptional.

Courtney and I watched the movie Julie and Julia, together but apart.  We were at our respective homes, texting back and forth during the show, making comments.  Even in our distance apart, we were together through doing the same activity and being connected by phone.


Sunday 3/22 - I barely got five hours of sleep, waking and reading from 1-4:30.  By the time I woke again at 6am, the sun was coming up during my morning walk with Maggie.














 It is difficult to get good sunrise and sunset photos, living in the wooded foothills of the mountains.  This last one was from the 16th green of Druid.








It was a do-nothing day, a true Sunday - day of rest.  No exercise, housecleaning (other than the kitchen after Joe's baking and then grilling), or walking was accomplished.


I did finally get myself to the barn, but all who were there (Patty, Polly, Jan, Judy, and Karen) were finishing up for the day.  I had a good ride, just Amiga and I, even though the wind made me cold.


This series of photos is of Patty trying to get Zorro to let go of the lead rope.  She had read that massaging his muzzle would get him to release it.









He just stood there, apparently enjoying the massage.  LOL

Patty finally had to try other measures, but even pulling on the rope didn't work.  Zorro is a very silly, and ornery boy.




Once Patty stuck her thumb in Zorro's mouth where the bit goes, he opened up and released the rope.

Seeing Judy reminded me I needed to give Amiga and Zorro their second round of spring shots.  I gave them each a Prevocox and made plans to get help with giving them their shot the following morning.



After dinner, our family did a Google 'Hangout' to all talk and see each other. 





Courtney took these photos while we chatted for almost 45 minutes.  It was wonderful to see and hear everybody.




Monday 3/23 - I was at the barn by 7:30.  In this photo I took later, when leaving at 8:45, all the boys were standing with their butts to the wind and rain, and seeking shelter under this big juniper.










Patty met me and helped hold horses while Kayla gave the shots.  Then Patty walked Zorro around, and lazy me rode Amiga (video).  We also let both horses graze out front for quite awhile.


But, the sky got dark and the rain soon returned.

I had been across the street riding Amiga, and hustled her back towards the barn as the rain started picking up.

By the time I got home, I was wet and cold.  A second cup of tea, a couple of Joe's homemade chocolate chip cookies, and the space heater in the sun room all helped warm me up while I spent more time computerizing.  Sometimes I put my feet up on this beanbag as a foot stool, but usually I keep them warm by putting my feet under it.  Monita was bird watching.

I was worried about Babe up in the hammock napping.  I was afraid she might roll over in her sleep and fall out.








It was cold, rainy, and gloomy all day.  Mid afternoon I did an hour of exercising with Coach Wood and then another dance along video.
After dinner I put on one pound ankle weights and grabbed my one pound hand weights and took Maggie for a long walk.  We did the back nine of Druid.  I put both hand weights in one hand (holding Maggie's leash with the other) and did 50 curls and 30 triceps extensions, and then switched hands.  I did this over and over again, the whole time I was walking.  Counting the reps distracted from listening to wildlife and talking to God, but the added weight helped me feel that I was working a little harder than usual.  These brave, curious deer did not run away when they saw us (video).

Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods, a usual evening activity lately.

Tuesday 3/24 -  I slept 9 1/2 hours Monday night!  9:30 - 7am.  Sleeping pills do that to me.  I felt well rested, but also like I had missed out on half the morning.  Babe's appendages were hanging out of the hammock, but at least she wasn't going to roll out.








The cats have been enjoying the tent but have really ripped up the back wall.  I might either try mending it, or just throw it away.



I had a big, third breakfast (or early lunch) and then headed to Crossville.  I skipped all my usual thrift stores and just went to Walmart for the necessities.  I hope once it is nice outside, that I will be able to shop at Lowe's for some plants.

This is my shopping cart at checkout time.  I left, having spent almost $338.00.  I loaded all the bags into my car in a pouring rain.

Joe helped me unload and put things away.  Then I hit my 'exercise' sun room for a workout.  The cats tried to partake in some of the exercises when I got down on the floor for 30 minutes of stretching.




My ankles have started hurting, I think from doing aerobics on such a hard (tile) floor.  I really miss my workouts at the gym.  They help me stay in shape, make me feel good, and are a way to release stress and tension.  I may have to start jogging again, but my knees will not like that.  And I don't have a good alternative for lifting weights, which works on specific muscle groups.
















It was getting dark by the time I took Maggie on our after dinner walk.  We weren't out long because there was a heavy mist getting me wet and cold.  I left the dog in the garage to dry off, and I went back out to put the corn on the rocks for the deer.  They were waiting for me when I got down back.  They are getting too tame (video).

Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods.




I read for awhile (as usual) before bed.  Mama Styx and Babe really blend in on this horse print blanket Cathy gave me for Christmas.

Being confined to the house feels so oppressive and makes me feel all the more isolated.  I prayed that the rains would cease and at least allow us to get outside, and that the grayness of the days would turn to warm sunshine and spring like weather.


Wednesday 3/25 - I had taken Tylenol p.m. due to some aches and to help me sleep, but I ended up having a restless night.  I kept waking up, tossing and turning and at 2:15 when I got a text message decided just to get up.  A couple of little naps (one before sunrise and one after) were taken in between my 3 cups of tea.  The morning just really felt disjointed and my stomach sour, too much caffeine.




Mama Styx on the right and Babe on the left.



Before noon the sun came out and it wasn’t long before I went out to enjoy the weather and get some yard work done.  It was even warm enough to open the door to the screened porch.



Do you see three of the cats on the porch in this photo?  They love this new place to explore, and watched me as I worked in the side yard.








I raked leaves, picked up sticks, and trimmed some bushes. I also heard from Courtney that she closed on her condominium.  Hooray!  It’s a big step for her and with her job being a little crazy right now it might feel kind of scary for her but it’s a great move and she has seven weeks left of her apt. lease so can take her time moving.


I fed the cats and dog early and went to the barn just after 4pm.  The sun was still warm and Amiga and I had a very leisurely ride.  She got a lot of grazing time.  The ground was so soggy, I couldn't even ride in the front yard.








Joe and I watched Survivor and I got to wondering, how would they have the winner reveal and reunion show in May, if the travel restrictions and social distancing are still in affect?  There are still so many questions about what life holds in the future.
Three of the four cats in bed with me.  

Thursday 3/26 - I was at the barn by 8am for the farrier.  I took Zorro's photo when turning him back out with the boys.  He seemed reluctant to go join them and wanted to hang out with me longer.

Babe enjoying the sun on the porch swing.

It was another beautiful, even nicer,  sunny day.  I opened doors and windows to let fresh air into the house and the cats were quickly back out on the screen porch.   



I worked at raking leaves and sticks, but after two hours, decided to join Joe on the deck.  If you can't beat-em, join-em.

I am reading 'Lightning,' a Dean Koontz novel, as if I don't have enough to be scared about right now.




Mid afternoon I went to the barn where I spent almost five hours horsing around.  Patty, Jan, Deanna, Cheryl and I all rode together for quite awhile.  We tried a number of fun 'games' - riding in formations, leap frog, everyone stand still while one rider weaves around the other horses, and trying a few obstacles (video).




Patty on Zorro.









Jan on Cash.







We rode up to the bean field, but went no farther because the trails were just too sloppy.  But the field was good to ride in (video).




We definitely all needed to get out and ride and socialize (at a distance). I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh air, sunshine, familiar faces, friendly conversation... and I could feel the love without getting a hug.

Horseback riding is just designed for social distancing.  I am so thankful I can still do what I love.


I was late getting the corn out so the deer were across the pond looking for greens to nibble.



Shortly after I took their photo, something spooked them and they took flight into the woods.

Maggie and I went for a long walk after dinner and I was soon in bed after getting home.  Dean Koontz is not ideal before bed reading, and I tossed and turned for an hour before taking a sleeping pill, which finally did the trick.

Friday 3/27 - It promised to be an even nicer day and I opened up windows and doors by 9am.  The girls were quick to head out to the porch.


We sent Courtney flowers to celebrate the purchase of her new condo.



The 'Affordable Tree Service' man came out, gave me a very reasonable estimate that I accepted, and his team would be out later to remove two large limbs that have been rubbing together, shading my two dogwoods, and have grown to be almost over our sun room roof.


Here is a before and after photo.  I circled the two branches that were to be removed.  In the after shot, you can barely tell the difference.










I went to work in the yard while waiting for the tree guys.  First I moved some sod to make mowing this little area a little easier, not such a sharp turn. 










The before shot has the hose marking where I would dig to remove the sod and you can see the little area to the right, marked where I would put the dug up sod.


I waited well into the afternoon, staying busy with raking and picking up leaves and doing a little more trimming.  Finally the team of workers arrived just after 3pm.

One young, athletic guy took to the tree, climbing with spikes on his shoes, in his harness, with ropes, etc. and a chain saw hanging from his tool belt.

He was soon sawing away, dismantling the limb in smaller sections.  And as each part was severed, it came swinging down by way of a rope (video).

 As he got closer to the tree trunk, then he cut off smaller sections that just fell straight to the ground (video). 


In these last two photos, he is hanging in his harness, but using another rope to shimmy down the branch he was hanging from. 




Once to the trunk, he then cut off the final section he had just been hanging from.

I was amazed at the skill required to do what he did.  The team of four guys on the ground were quick to clean up debris as it was cut from the tree.  They got done and were gone in just over an hour.



Once the excitement was over, the cats could settle back in to the sun room.  I hustled to get to the barn to ride.  once seated in the saddle, I realized how tired I was, so didn't last long.  It was late and past dinner time anyway.

These last three days of beautiful weather have made 'staying at home' much more bearable.  And thankfully, I can still horse around at a safe distance from everybody, but still stay connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment