Friday, March 6, 2020

Attitude

SAD - Seasonal affect disorder, also called winter depression or the blues.
The common symptoms include sleeping too much, having little to no energy, and overeating (Wiki).  Normally I have a pretty good attitude and outlook on life, but sometimes I just get sad.  Every life has its ups and downs, but when you only see the downs as significant, you miss all the ups.  Happiness starts as a state of mind.

In reading numerous snippets about having a positive attitude, these ideas came to my attention:
Focus on the good, smile, keep up your enthusiasm, relish small pleasures, stop complaining - take responsibility, be proactive, have a sense of humor, and be grateful.  I am a complainer, so I need to work on that.  I am going to try to transform the areas where I have a negative outlook on life and focus on staying enthusiastic and positive.  Don't worry - Be happy, cause every little thing, is gonna to be alright.
Part of my SADness came from jet lag, post cruise depression, and the hours I spent here at my computer trying to get my cruise blog finished.  My mind, like my computer, was ready to freeze up or shut down.  The gloomy weather helped me stay focus and not yearn to be outside, but seriously, four days of snow showers last week and three days of rain this week was affecting my attitude.

Sunday 3/1 - It was hard to believe that March had arrived.  With days getting longer I felt hopeful for nicer weather.  I was also looking forward to the time change in a week.  I was glad Zorro got to stay in one last night (on 2/29) because it had gotten pretty cold overnight.  The weather showed there would be several warmer nights, which would give Zorro a chance to adjust to sleeping outside again.  He only gets full board in January and February.




I am always thankful for my cats; their companionship, silly antics, love, and distraction from this computer, even if it requires getting up to stop a little spat or chase them off the counter or out of one of my house plants. 

I wore my new boots to church, along with a shawl Courtney knitted me. 

A little thing like this can really help boost ones attitude.

It turned out to be a beautiful day, warm, sunny, and bright.

I had an early lunch, put my cruise blog on hold, and went to the barn.  Amiga gave me attitude when I went out to get her, and I got in probably 800 steps trying to catch her.  Next I had a ton of dirt to remove from her, along with quite a bit of shed hair, but boy did it feel good getting her cleaned up.


Chester was so excited to be out on the trail with Amiga and I.  He is a great example of a happy attitude.













Deanna later came out on the trails with Sandy and we kind of rode around together and separately.  We were each working with our horse to stay focused and listening to us.  I also let Amiga graze for quite a bit.







I didn't get home until 4:00, but had time to work on yard clean up (sticks and leaves) in back.  Some daffodils were thinking about blooming.




I made numerous trips across the creek with the 30 gallon tub full of sticks and damp leaves, and late in the day the ducks noticed me and started 'begging' for their evening corn.


It was almost 6pm by the time I got done and fed them.  I felt good about the work I had accomplished.







I never could get back into the groove of blogging,  so hit the hay early and read my intriguing book for almost an hour.  Babe hugging Mama Styx and cleaning her face for her, after Styx had just done the same thing to her.  And then they started wrestling.

I was too tired to stay awake past 8:30, but didn't sleep well because I was worried about Britney who we were supposed to skype with, but did not answer when Joe tried to contact her.

Monday 3/2 - I got up at 2:30 still concerned about Britney, and worked on my Blog.  Britney contacted me at 5:30 am, so my fears were relieved.  She had gotten home from a very busy three days in KéköLdi, tired and exhausted, and went straight to bed, forgetting about skyping.

It rained the greater part of the day, the sun was never seen, and I had troubles getting motivated.  I did finally finish my cruise blog but still needed to proofread it before posting it.  Then after a morning nap, I started this blog.  It was rainy and gloomy, and I was happy at my desk with the space heater going.




The four cats, again in close proximity.  Babe the kitten is napping on the white blanket.

Finally at 2pm I got going with a few household jobs and then went to the gym, spending an hour there doing the rowing and elliptical machines.  Another grocery trip was necessary on my way home.

After animal care and my dinner, Joe and I Skyped with Britney.

Tuesday 3/3 - I woke at 1am and couldn't get back to sleep so went out in the living room to read.

At 1:40 I got a text from Courtney saying that she was OK.  A tornado had hit Nashville and was now headed our way.  I turned on the weather channel and continued reading. 


Fairly soon the emergency alert alarm went off on my phone and the crawl bar at the bottom of the TV screen said seek shelter.  So I ended up in the closet, where the dog was already hiding.  I was not too worried about us, but was concerned for Zorro, his third night outside since December.  I sat in the closet reading, for over an hour, while continuing to get weather updates.  Joe was at his computer watching the radar.
 
Finally at 4:00 the warning was lifted, and I went back out on the couch by the fire.  Just then a strong thunderstorm hit, but by the time it calmed down, I fell asleep for a not long enough, 70 minute nap.



I got up and started my usual morning routine at 6 am.  After proofreading my (Cruise Blog) I posted it.  When out walking the dog I took some photos down back.  The drainage ditch, creek, and pond were plenty high.







I learned that a friend had had a stroke on a cruise ship and had been airlifted to Tampa Hospital for emergency brain surgery to relieve the pressure.  She was in a coma and in critical condition.  Things like this are always such devastating news, while also a reminder of how thankful I am for my good health.

I felt groggy all morning, and kept tuned in to the news of Nashville.  By mid morning, there were nine confirmed deaths and still many more people missing.  I also learned that Cookeville had been hit very hard by the same tornado.

Thankfully the storms had missed our children and us.

This doe had watched me take photos, and then after I put the morning corn out, came into our yard to eat.

I got in a weight workout and then Joe and I had dinner with Jim and Lori (who had just arrived from Illinois).  We ate at the Brass Lantern, a very nice restaurant.  The Kelloggs told us of the destruction they saw while driving through Nashville, along I-40, and Cookeville, on their way to Crossville.  By bedtime, the death total was up to 18, with around 38 persons unaccounted for.

Wednesday 3/4 - A sleeping pill enabled me to get a full 8½ hours of nearly uninterrupted sleep. 










A little Bigfoot lives right here in our house.



I went for a mid morning ride on Amiga.  The stable workers were just going out to take David (another worker who was clearing trails) some tools.

I decided to ride over to the Holly Trail and check it out. 









Once there I went ahead and rode down to the creek, crossed it, and got off and walked Amiga up the steep hill on the other side.  We stopped (photo) at one point to rest.


I was prepared to turn back if the footing got too dangerous, but it was actually in good condition.

We ended up having a very relaxing ride in the Glade.  Can you see Chester way ahead of us in this photo?







Here we are stopped to let Amiga graze and let me stretch my legs.  That is the old lookout tower behind us.





The undeveloped roads are perfect for riding a horse on. The sun was out, the air temperature at about 60 and it was lovely.  We also went on some 4-wheeler trails down the power lines on the way back to the barn.  We turned back in to the Holly trail before getting to the 'forbidden zone' private property we have been asked to stay off of.


We had been out on the trail for over two hours, but it had been very leisurely.  I untacked and brushed Amiga, then hopped on her bareback and with just a halter, rode her to the side yard and let her graze for almost a half hour.  I took this (video) of the sounds of nature.


There was not adequate time to go to the gym or do yard work, so I took Maggie on a 30 minute walk.


The golf course was closed for aeration of the greens, so we were on it most of the time.  These big holes are in the ground in front of turtle pond.  I am thinking it is muskrat, but it could be ground hog.



We picked up Brian and went to Vegas, where we met Ken and Linnea for dinner and drinks.  I stuck to water as committed.







I tried to capture the beautiful sunset as we went in to the bar and grill, but this was the best I could do.

We watched Survivor once home and I enjoyed reading my spell binding book until sleep overcame me.


Thursday 3/5 - I had gotten bad news about Eillen's condition, and the continuing footage and photos of the tornado damage was also disheartening.  It is truly shocking to see so much obliterated.  I can’t imagine how terrifying it was to experience such a horrible thing.  I pray  for those who lost homes and businesses, but especially for those suffering loss of family or friends.



Joe and Jim went golfing about noon and I managed to whittle away the time doing who knows what.  I just couldn't bring myself to go outside to ride or work in the yard.  I did read more of my book and nap.  Scheesh.







Can you see the deer Jim is pointing to?

We met Patty, Jim and Lori at Fireside Grill.  I had an O'Doul's (non-alcoholic beer) which was actually quite tasty.  My cornbeef and cabbage was also delicious.

Friday 3/6 - I realized upon waking that I had missed out on a pretty day Thursday, and now the temperatures were in the 40s and would continue to decrease all day.

I just couldn't help myself, I was feeling lazy, so spent a few hours goofing off at my computer since I was all caught up on Facebook, e-mails, and blogging.  I was back at the Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar games and activities and did my best ever (as I recall) at the memory game.



The Putnam County tornado re-cap according to MeteorologistMark.com read:
The Putnam County tornado has now been rated an EF-4, only the fifth F-4 tornado to have ever hit the Upper Cumberlands.  This is the most violent tornado in the NWS Nashville forecast area since 2009. Putnam County hasn’t seen a tornado this strong since April, 3, 1974.  This storm produced a tornado that was on the ground for 50.25 miles across Davidson, Wilson, and Smith Counties. The average tornado is on the ground for about five miles.  This gives you an idea of the destruction it caused.


Jim and Lori dropped by for a tour of our house and then I went to the gym to get in an aerobic workout.

Then, before going into Crossville, we took them on a driving tour of Fairfield Glade, and got out to show them the Conference Center and Wellness Complex.









We started our evening at the Social Brew (top photo) and then went to the Grinder House (last two photos) for dinner and a concert.  Service was very slow, because they were swamped with many people arriving at the same time.  But we were enjoying the music, so all was well.  Had we copped an attitude about the poor service, the evening would not have been near as enjoyable.  Life is too short to let these little things ruin it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment