Friday, March 20, 2020

So Many Questions

With the outbreak of the coronavirus, which began as an epidemic in China, before making its way around the world in a matter of months and becoming a pandemic, many questions have been asked.  And with each additional day and new development, there are more questions.

Saturday 3/14 - Soon after waking, news of the coronavirus was spreading as fast as it was.  And I got sucked into many conversations, posts, articles, and questions using my computer and i-phone.
What's flattening the curve?  The graph pictured is from The Daily Examiner.  To keep hospitals and doctors’ offices from becoming overwhelmed with sick patients, the ultimate goal for public health authorities is to flatten this curve.  Social distancing measures can make a serious impact when they’re implemented early, so that over time, all patients get the resources they need.
What's social distancing?  Taking measures like working from home, shutting down schools, minimizing travel, and canceling large events such as conferences, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events, weddings, and other types of assemblies and mass gatherings.
Answering one question creates more questions... When should we take these measures and how drastic do we need to be in isolating ourselves?

While on Facebook, I saw that Jeff Allen was going to be at Spike's.  Feeling the need to get out and dance, I invited several.  Many planned to join me, but the question was also raised as to whether or not this was a good idea.  I felt it would be fine, with no cases reported within 75 miles and it being a small venue.  I also knew it would probably be my last hoorah for awhile. 
I went to the gym not even giving a second thought to whether this was prudent or not.  I ended up accomplishing a really good workout.



Patty, Ken and Linnea, Chris and Colleen, and Brian joined Joe and I for dinner and a music filled evening.  I forgot to get a photo of us.

None of my fellow diners joined me to dance but there was a table next to us full of dancers, some who I knew.  I ended up moving over to Donna and Patty's table once my whole group left.  We danced till Jeff wrapped up his last set at 10pm.


Sunday 3/15 - The morning fog was lifting when I went down back to put out some cracked corn.  I literally almost 'ran into' these deer who were searching for food.


















They stepped back, away from the rocks I put the corn on, and waited patiently.  The mallard pair, who are not near as afraid of me, waddled up and started eating while I was pouring the corn onto the rocks.







By the time I had headed back up the hill towards the house, the deer had moved back to the rocks, chasing the ducks away.














Church was canceled for the next three Sundays.  I spent the morning here at my computer.  Up until Sunday morning, I was feeling fairly untouchable by the coronavirus, safe here in Fairfield Glade.  But through social media, I was made aware of the importance of social distancing.  I came to the conclusion that if I did not need to go out for a 'mission-critical' purpose, I should not go out at all.  I needed to take part in helping control and slow the spread of the virus.  While we are going out to public places, we could be picking up the virus and then unknowingly giving it to others.  Some trips out into public are necessary, but for socializing and fun, we need to just stop for awhile.  This will be very difficult for me because I am very social.

I e-mailed everyone to cancel a party for pool peeps I had organized.  Joe and I skypped with Britney and texted with Courtney.  A visit from Courtney and her friend was decided against and a trip to St. Louis and then on to Carol's had been postponed.

It was rainy and dreary all day and these cancellations and the outlook for the US was getting me down.  I kept going to the refrigerator and eating.  I wanted to go to the gym.

Eventually I got moving and took Maggie on a long walk.



In the neighborhood just north of us, there were four houses for sale.  I got addresses and photos of each which I later sent to Jim and Lori.

Joe and I listened to the president for the third time this week, speak about the pandemic and advise us American citizens.  The press had so many questions, and it amazed me that some of them just didn't get this concept of 'flattening the curve'. 

Monday 3/16 - It was very early in the 'ball game' still, but I already felt the need for a 7th inning stretch.  Maggie seemed to be expressing how I felt.  I am discovering a whole different meaning to March Madness.  I am going mad being cooped up at home.  There is madness everywhere with people panicking about the pandemic.  I am mad that I can't go out, socialize, and have fun; but also disappointed in others who choose to ignore warnings and are traveling, vacationing, and congregating in large crowds... then coming back to our little town and possibly bringing the coronavirus to us. 

We got a long e-mail about what FGCC is doing concerning the coronavirus, and it's expectations from all it's members and guests.  Not only have all large group activities been cancelled, but they are posting this sign on all of their facility doors throughout the community.  I hope everybody follows it.


To go or not to go, one of the many questions I have, especially concerning the gym.  I went, and just did weights for an hour.  I have worked so hard to get to the condition I am in, I don't want to give it up and regress.  If only I knew that everyone who has traveled outside of Cumberland county has self quarantined, then I could be fairly certain that the gym is a safe place to go and that I myself don't pick up and then become a hidden carrier of the virus.  For now, I am taking the utmost precautions; washing my hands when I get there, cleaning each machine before and after use, and trying to stay a six foot distance from everybody.  I will only be going to the gym 3Xs a week and at low usage times.  I am abstaining from all aerobic machines and classes and coming home to do stretch and balance exercises.  But I really feel I need to go there for my weight workout.




I hit Food City on the way home and truly believe I am much safer at the gym, where there are fewer people, healthier people, and everyone is being very careful to wipe down all surfaces they touch.  People who are starting to feel sick don't usually go to the gym, but are likely to run to the store for cold and flu medicine, soup, tissues, etc.

The store was crowded, and I noticed a person or two that either blew their nose, coughed or sneezed, and touched freezer handles after rubbing their eyes.  I did not see anyone wiping down shopping cart handles, counter tops, freezer doors, or any other community surfaces, let alone items people placed back on the shelf or into the produce bin after looking at (and touching) it.

I was not surprised to find that the store was also out of TP, bleach wipes, hand sanitizer, and Airborne.  They had signs limiting to two per customer, but were still out.  People are acting like hamsters, hoarding away more than necessary.

Tuesday 3/17 - The rain woke me up and I delayed my first walk because of a thunderstorm.  The weather and social distancing put a damper on my day.  No green beer and a low key St. Patrick's day celebration would be happening with Joe and I.  But I knew, just as the rains will pass and the sun will shine, revealing rainbows...  so will this coronavirus.  There will be an explosion of social gatherings, travel will be rampant, our economy will bounce back, and we will hug and kiss once again.  But until then?


I was feeling really bad for Joe (and Britney) who's trip to Europe has been post-poned until next year.  Joe had spent hours, over the last weeks and months, planning this four week trip.  Now he has spent a bunch of time cancelling everything... cruise, flights, rental cars, air-B&Bs, hostels, going to the Vilhauer (they spell it with one 'l') reunion in Germany, sightseeing reservations, etc.

Mid morning, Joe and I sat in the man-cave and watched the daily White House update on the Coronavirus and listened to the government's newest response to it.  Then, we got another e-mail from FGCC.  Many facilities were being closed for the rest of the month.  Things are going to get worse before they get better.


Joe went for a long walk with Maggie and after lunch, I came across this PE teacher's (exercise video), he posted for his students.  I joined in and had fun and got some good cardio exercise.  I also did his day 2 session.  I love his humor and enthusiasm.






The sun never came out and I decided it would be too wet and muddy to ride Amiga, and she would probably be a wet, muddy mess also.  I started a jigsaw puzzle, getting all of the pieces turned over and sorted.




Joe and I went to Brian's for dinner, pork not corn beef, but absolutely delicious.  Colleen, Chris, Rita, (in photo) and Andy were also there.  It was a nice way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

Wednesday 3/18 -Styx being playful.  She tolerates bell rubs, hugs, and kisses much more than Babe does.

The rain had stopped for the day, but the sun was obscured by clouds throughout it's time passing across the sky from one horizon to the other.


After listening to Trump and his team's daily up-date, I went to the barn.

Riding bareback on Amiga, who had been way out in the field, we stopped at the  automatic waterier to let her get a big drink.


Once saddled, we were off to ride around the barn area and go on the trails (not far) until we got into muddy and slippery footing.  Here we are looking down the ravine at Westchester road and the creek running high.  I worked Amiga in the front yard until I got her to listen and move at the speed I requested.  She gets so wound up out there.  I also gave her plenty of time to relax and graze throughout our ride.

Coming home by way of the golf course, on a walk with Maggie, the ducks had spotted us.  Leaving the dog in the garage, when I came out with the corn to take down back, the ducks were up near the back door waiting.  They proceeded to following me (with the corn) back down to the rock by the pond.

We got a message that the gym would be closing its doors Thursday, so I went one last time.  There were only ten people there when I arrived, and two when I left an hour later.


This is the progress I made on the puzzle.

Rain returned to the area about the time the sun went down.  Joe and I watched Survivor.  And I continued reading my good mystery novel.

Thursday 3/19 - The first day of spring, turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous day.  I discovered that a bird had built its nest on my welcome wreath.

There were no eggs laid yet, but I decided not to destroy the hard work, and let the mom raise her youngins here.


It was a leisurely morning, I had nowhere to go, and had gotten bored with computer time, so I went in the living room to work on the puzzle. 




I called Mom and talked with her and sister Jean, and then listened to Trump and his team of experts, while entertaining myself with the puzzle.  Look how much I got done.






Joe picked up carry out meals and we enjoyed a big lunch out on our screened porch.  I had all the doors opened so the cats could come and go.  The two 'new' ones had never been out here before, so were quite cautious.  I was glad neither tried to climb the screens.

I worked in the yard from 1-5pm.  Mostly I raked leaves and picked up sticks, but also trimmed all my forsythia since they were about done blooming.  I also mucked around down at the pond a little, and found this baby snapping turtle.

I only handled him long enough to take a few photos, and then released him back where I had found him.  But seeing him assured me that spring is really here.


This flower bed, that was particularly covered in leaves, is nice and clean now, and so is most of the back yard.

I took Maggie on a 2¾ mile walk after we had dinner.  I like that it is light later and hope to get back into this routine of walking after dinner.






Friday 3/20 - This cat picture was posted on Facebook, which made me smile.  But I actually think my cats like having me around more often.  However, with the exception of Styx, they all are definitely more  annoying to me, than I am to them.


Babe never seeks attention in the form of a lap or lovin', but she is almost always into trouble.
She is just so stinkin' cute though.

I doubled the distance of my short, first morning walk, seeing in the forecast that rain was coming and would continue throughout the day, which it did.  Maggie was a bit confused as to why we weren't turning for home and breakfast, as quickly as usual.



Stevie and Monita sitting on my lap.

Joe and I watched the daily White House update on the Coronavirus and listened to the question and answer session.  We are hearing a lot of the same stuff over and over again.  Trump sometimes impresses me, but often times just makes me shake my head.



Our Church posted that it will be closed through Sunday May 3rd, a little over six more weeks.  And then we got an e-mail from Fairfield Glade, EVERYTHING is closed.  Joe was not happy about not being able to golf.

I finished the puzzle, worked a few Sudoku, had a big lunch, read, napped, played games on the computer, and watched it rain.  With the rain being incessant, our lawn was very soggy, and the creek overflowing.



After doing two of Coach Wood's more strenuous workouts, I did his yoga one.  While standing for the Tree and Warrior poses, Babe was chewing on my yoga mat.

Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods.
Then I laid awake, continuing to ruminate over so many questions, the main ones being How long is this isolation going to last? and How bad is this pandemic going to get?

No comments:

Post a Comment