Friday, March 13, 2020

Life Of Riley

Living the life of Riley indicates a carefree, comfortable, and thoroughly enjoyable way of living.  This I definitely have.  Several definitions also included, - to have a life without hard work, to live in luxury with plenty of money and no problems.  This is not my reality, nor do I want it to be.  I enjoy and thrive off of working hard and accomplishing goals.  And I do not need wealth to be happy, yet recognize I have way more than so many others in this world.  I am so fortunate to be born and live in this country.

I saw a travel ad headline that read 'Plot your next escape.'  I have nothing to escape.  I absolutely love it here, at my house, being in Fairfield Glade, living in Tennessee.

All that being said, there are still trials and tribulations I (all of us) have to endure.  It's part of life.  I thought this second photo (warning) for the week was funny.  And in spite of it's premonitions, I had a great week.



Saturday 3/7 - It was brisk out, but sunny.  More daffodils had opened up in bloom.  Joe and I hit the road for Nashville just before 8am.  I sat in front, working Sudoku, and keeping a watch out the window for tornado damage.  I didn't mean to be a gawker, but wanted to see the devastation for myself.  There were several incredible sights along the way, even though much cleanup has been occurring.

Soon after getting to Courtney's apartment, we climbed back in our SUV and drove to the condominium she is in the process of buying.  Hers is a lovely, newly remodeled, three bedroom end unit in a nice neighborhood.  The realtor told us about some of the little improvements that will be done before closing, and we all discussed ways to change a few other features (kitchen island, master bath vanity height, and the TV hole).  This is what the wall above the fireplace looks like.  Courtney does not want her TV up there (it wouldn't fit anyway.  So, what to do with this space?


From the condo we then went to lunch at a colorful Mexican restaurant.  Courtney thought it would be cool to have some fun art work above the fireplace, over the hole.  I suggested a fish tank or cat cubby, LOL.  We lingered, talking, at the eatery before going back to Courtney's apartment, where we hung out a little longer.








The drive home was quick and uneventful. 



I took Maggie for a long walk, enjoying the sunset and the moon rise.  I moved our clocks forward and went to bed at my usual time, even though it was actually an hour earlier.

Sunday 3/8 - With the time change, the morning was dark longer than usual.  I knew my evening would be light longer, but I wasn't sure it was a good trade off.












All our pets live the life of Riley.


After Church, lunch, and a nap, I finally headed to the barn.  It was hopping when I got there and I wished I hadn't let myself take a nap.
Patty on Zorro and Karen on Maverick.






Deanna had just finished riding, Pat was mounting up, and Jan was tacking up.  By the time I had Amiga ready, Jan was the only one riding.  I joined her, and later Cheryl joined us.  It was a pretty afternoon and an enjoyable, leisurely ride.



After dinner,  Maggie and I had a nice little walk.  I know I have a lot of photos of our backyard, but I thought the contrast between the green grass and newly mulched area looked striking, and I had to take a photo.

I texted with Courtney a few minutes at bed time.  I just love staying connected to and 'talking' with our children.


Monday 3/9 - I had the usual relaxing morning here at my computer.  Got gas on my way to the gym at 9:00.  After Line Dance, Zumba, weights, and lunch, I was at the barn by 1:00.

Jan and I met to ride the Holly Trail, go visit Terry's, and take Chestnut Hill home.  We went over five miles and were in the saddle 2¼ hours.



We stopped to let our horses rest going up the big hill on the Holly Trail.  Jan was in front of me and farther up the hill.

Once in the Glade, we could relax and enjoy the ease of the roads to ride on, as could our horses.  Like Jan and I, Amiga and Cash are good buddies.














Coming back on Chestnut Hill is always a little nerve racking, but we made it unscathed, even though I had to bail off Amiga when a big dump truck was barreling down the road towards us.  I could not get her to get off the shoulder and across a ditch, and instead she was backing into the road.  So I hopped off and lead her over the ditch out of harms way.  Meanwhile, the considerate truck driver had come to a hault until I had Amiga under control, and then slowly drove by.

Joe and I cut down a small maple tree in back that has started crowding a dogwood and two other trees.  And I worked at clearing leaves from the creek. 


Tuesday 3/10 - Rain all night obscured the full moon so I found this cool photo on line, to depict the event.  The rain continued off and on all day.









As often happens, the rain and clouds had the propensity to make me be lazy.


I did go to the gym and do a weight work on legs, since I had done arms the day before.  I also did a Zumba class but my favorite instructor was sick so it wasn’t as much fun.  I took an after lunch nap by the fire, did some household chores, and then went to the barn at 5:15.








I needed to give Amiga her Previcox before the vet shots the following morning.   Then I hopped on for a little ride.




I sat on a towel because Amiga was still kind of wet from the day's rain.  I let her graze quite a bit but also had her gaiting some of the time.  These photos were taken from across the street at the garden plots.  Rain was moving back into the area and was coming down before I got home at 7:00.  I love that it doesn’t get dark until 7pm.
It was a quiet evening with popcorn (no beer) for dinner since Poker Joe was at a game.

Wednesday 3/11 - During my 5am walk, you could cut the fog with a knife.  With blogging time shorter, I have spent more time 'gaming.'  For some reason, the advent calendar ornament smash game has been more difficult since the start of the new year.  I have had troubles winning, let alone getting a score over 11,000.  But this morning, I had a successful go at it, 14885 points.



On our second, 8am walk of the day, the fog was lifting (photo).  Then I was off to the barn for our vet visit.



I got Amiga out of her stall to let her graze for 30 minutes.  Then I got Zorro and brushed him well while waiting for the vet to come.  This is a shedding comb I used on him.  The vet was over 30 minutes late.  Another horse went after Zorro so I could exercise him, which helps alleviate a shot reaction.  






Amiga was her usual very tense self for her Coggins test and 4-way shot.  To exercise her, I went for a 45 minute ride all around the barn area.  In this photo, we are at the garden plots, looking at the horses over in the winter pasture.  Amiga was a bit animated at times, which can be a challenge when riding bareback, but I thoroughly enjoyed our little ride together.


Joe and I really trimmed back the giant hemlock in our yard.  Unfortunately it makes Allen and Carol's house much more visible, but we needed to get it out of their way and ours also.




I did a little trimming of some other shrubs and removal of leaves until dinner time, after which, I took Maggie on a long walk.









The daffodil blooming behind Brian's house sure are pretty.

Joe and I watched Survivor and then listened to Trump's speech, which gave us plenty to talk about.


Thursday 3/12 - The Lenten Rose in back are attractive, and can be seen from my office window.










By 8am I went to the barn to check on Zorro (video) and Amiga to see if they had a reaction from their 4-way shot the day before.  Both were doing great.

I took Amiga on a long 2½ hour ride.  I rode her into the Glade and on the undeveloped roads around the Dorchester Golf Course.  During part of the ride, she got a long rest and grazing time in a grassy section while I talked with Mom and then sister Jean on the phone.








The woods are greening up as things are starting to bloom.  I think the lichen/moss on this budding red maple is striking.  I had a wonderful ride and Amiga did a great job carrying me up and down hills and past a few scary (home and road) construction things. 

Driving home from the barn I was mentally making all these plans to do yard work and go to the gym.  But after lunch, I felt chilled and tired so read and napped by the fire with Monita and Maggie.









They were so cute napping together.  When I took these photos, they both stretched and then went back to sleep.

I drug myself to the gym and finally got a bit energized about halfway through my workout.

News of the Coronavirus precautions was shocking and disheartening, especially when it hit so close to home.  Britney's students were all being flown back to the US (so if more borders close they don't get stuck abroad), Courtney's concert in Nashville was cancelled, and it looks like Britney's college reunion in April, Joe's transatlantic cruise, and his and Britney's trip to Europe in May may also be cancelled.  These are important precautions to keep the spread to a minimal, but people's over-reacting (buying all the toilet paper) is ridiculous.  It's people that make me nervous... they are asking people to use common sense, well we have a shortage of that here in the US.  The thought of people rushing into emergency rooms when they get the slightest cough or sore throat and demanding to be tested and treated is a scarier thought.  For most who contract the virus, they need to just stay home and let the virus take its course, like a cold or flu.  Save the medical care and resources for those who really need it.  And for those who've been exposed but have mild symptoms, Stay Home!  Your presence at work, a party, or elsewhere, is not that important.

Friday 3/13 - The day dawned beautiful and carefree, as birds chirped their happy songs and deer meandered through in the backyard.  The ducks were waiting for their corn and came right up to eat before I stepped very far away.  See the toe of my shoe near them?  This prayer from our Pastor, Lanita seemed so fitting.

Holy and most gracious God,
Robins sing from rain-soaked shrubs,
 chorus frog melodies rise from wetlands,
 our local deer begin to shed dark winter coats for lighter buckskin.
All this heralds the changing of our Seasons.
But now we are afraid.
Our world, our country, our community is
 being invaded by that which we cannot see.
Help us to be brave, to be calm and reasonable,

 to be people of faith who trust you with our very lives.
Give us courage to face these coming days
 with a sense of assurance that we are being wise
 in how we work together during an unprecedented time.
We offer ourselves into your care, now and always.
Trusting in your goodness and mercy.
Amen.


My whole morning was spent in town shopping.  I hit the usual stores, spending most of my time and money at Walmart.  This was my bimonthly trip to stock up on household and pet supplies.  Luckily, we are not down to our last rolls of TP, because this is what that isle looked like.  There were also no more bleach wipes, but I can get along without those for awhile.


Babe relaxing on the cat tree, had her arms folded under her chest but on top of her tail, the black tip which you see bottom right of her.  She is so cute.











After a late lunch, Joe and I watched/listened to Trump's speech and the discussion that followed.














Styx and Babe hugging while cleaning each other's faces.  I could not get energized so napped in front of the fire again.


Finally I made myself go out so I could plant these flowers and hen's and chicks I just bought at Lowe's.










I started weeding and cleaning leaves from this area and then moved to the side of the house.


This last photo shows the bed by the steps, full of leaves, and how neat and clean the one on the other side is.  There are also plenty of weeds underneath the leaves that need to get pulled.

As the Coronavirus becomes a growing pandemic that has upended lives and wreaked havoc on financial markets, I pray for your health foremost and am sorry for the hardships you will and have suffered.  I hope the sacrifices that you make will be looked upon later as being well worth it.  Stay safe for you and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment