Friday, May 29, 2020

In Community

As comforting and nice as it is to have our pets, which give us companionship and ward off loneliness, we still need each other,
to be connected to other humans, to be in community.
I really miss human touch, hugs, and physical closeness.
I miss chatting in person, dancing, and socializing.

Our pastor shared about how we were created to be in community with one another.  “People were not made to live alone. We know ourselves, experience ourselves, enjoy ourselves in relationship to other human beings. Other persons sharpen our perceptions, shape our ideas, mold our personalities, engage our wits, challenge our ingenuities, and enlarge our sympathies.”

Saturday 5/23 - My day started at 3am, because I was unable to get back to sleep after already sleeping five hours during the night.  Before sun-up, I got a message from Courtney, that she had re-lapsed and was too sick to come for the weekend.  I was sooo bummed.  I was feeling wilted, falling to pieces, or crumpled, like this yellow flower.  I was sad, disappointed, and downhearted that Courtney was sick, and not coming.  We had made lots of fun plans, so I was bummed they would not be happening.  I was so looking forward to seeing her and giving her a hug.  But I was actually more upset thinking about her being sick.  It seemed to be a bad cold and/or sinus infection, but the Dr. said it wasn't Covid-19.  The steroid shot the walk-in clinic gave her Thursday afternoon, only helped with symptoms for one day.


Once Joe woke up, I had him help me move the cat tower up onto two end tables.  Monita was quick to climb up and check out the highest platform.  I was testing out my plan to make a stand out of the wood pallet I had gotten.  I wanted the cat tower higher so there would be access for the cats to a shelf  I planned to put over the sliding door.  I also wanted to be able to put the cat pan under it, because where it is now, it blocks the door out onto the deck.  And I wanted to build the stand in such a way that the dog couldn't get into the litter box.  She continues to sneak into the box in the sun room, and take out cat poop.





Having planned to just hang out with Courtney, I had not intended to do anything constructive all weekend, so I was having troubles getting moving.  Partly, I was also kind of depressed.

I sat on the deck with Joe, and read and napped out on the lounge chair.



As seems to be the tendency, the weather report for rain was changed.  So I decided to go to the barn since the forecast now showed no rain till evening.  Well, there was a torrential downpour on my way there.  You can see Amiga was wet.  In the background, they were getting ready to take out a trail ride.





Patty was grooming Zorro while I toweled off Amiga.  And then another storm passed through, with thunder and heavy rains.  It didn't last long, but was enough to make me decide not to go for a long ride.





I planned to just let Amiga graze and wander around a little, while I rode, so I didn't use a saddle, leg wraps, fly mask, or even fly spray.  After riding in the very wet yard, I rode around the garden, and then decided to check out the trail.  There was water standing in a number of spots. 




I did discover that they had mowed a path around the bean field.  They plan to fence off this field for more pasture space, and take the trail ride around the field.  It was quite soggy in the low spots.






I was enjoying my ride, so went farther/longer than I had expected.  I kept the pace slow though.  (video) Poor Amiga had really been bothered by flies.

I continued in a non-productive trend until day's end.  Although I did have to water the new grass seed because we hadn't gotten any of the rain at our house.


Sunday 5/24 - The cats were enjoying the new, higher cat tower.  They love exploring anything new in their environment.  Monita was in her usual spot, highest up.



Babe was trying to get things going, and challenging Monita.  But Monita preferred to remain 'king of the mountain' and not move off her perch.  











I had prepared Joe to help me with the pallet re-build project and we were soon out in the garage working on it.

I felt so accomplished by day's end because I got this major project mostly done.  And I’m quite delighted with how it turned out.  There was no blood or tears but there was a lot of sweat and some swearwords. Ha ha ha
Here are some of the steps to completing the re-build.



I had a visual idea of what I wanted and Joe did all the sawing, most of the prying and nail removal, and operating the drill to put in the screws.  Of course I assisted by holding boards.  The Sawzall was good for cutting the pallet in half to the correct height I wanted.






Then as seen in a video I had watched, I had Joe cut down through the nails to remove one 2x4 end of the pallet, to shorten it.  The saw blade did not go like 'a knife through butter' as described and shown in the video.




We had to pry some boards off, and split one in the process.  So I knew we needed to change our method.  Next I had Joe cut with the circular saw, the slats to the length I wanted the re-build to be.






At this point, I discovered a big oversight on my part.  The way the slats were attached to the 2x4 legs, (on their edges) was not going to allow for enough room to slide the cats pan in and out from under it.  Joe suggested we just build it wider, but I did not like that option.



Joe took a lunch break, and I figured a new design doing a complete re-build with new 2x4s for legs and using the pallet slats for sides.








I had taken boards into the sun room to maneuver them and visualize how it was all going to come together.

As you can see, I had most of my feline staff carefully watching what I was doing.


Joe willingly, but a little reluctantly, left his spot on the lounge chair and came to help me with some more sawing.  And then we started the re-build.  You can see the first side on the floor and we are drilling screws to put together the second side.

Next I had Joe cut this old sheet of plywood to the correct size and then attach it to the two sides.





Into the sun room we brought it, to test it so far.  The ends definitely needed reinforcing.  Notice the right side leaning in at the bottom... it was ½ inch closer to the other side, than at the top.





Once back in the garage, I continued with the design plan.  Because the litter box is going to face in towards the sliding glass door, to keep the dog out, I decided to only put one cross board at the top (green arrow pointing to it).  Any others would hinder the cats getting in and out of the litter box.



Then I started measuring and had Joe cut the three slats along with three supporting boards, to make a front panel that will slide in and out so I can remove the cat's pan for cleaning.  The panel needs to fit snug so it stays in place.  In this photo the front panel is up on the saw horses.  It was a little too tight and needed to be filed down.  The box looks very cattywampus in the photo, but it is an optical illusion.



And here it shows the front panel in place on the box, which is sitting with it's back side on the garage floor.



The front panel still was not fitting well, but it was past quitting time.  So we took the box into the house and got it setup, ready for the litter box to go underneath it.




The orange arrow in the second photo shows where the cats (but not the dog) can enter from the back side to get to the litter box.

I had to hustle to get ready for dinner with Patty coming over.  Once here, I showed off my new project, she helped me with vegetable preparation, and Joe grilled the hamburgers and potatoes.

Once Patty left, as dark descended, I quickly gave the newest grass seed some water because we never did get any of the rain that was in the forecast.

Memorial Day Monday 5/25 - Continuing with my project, after a shorter time than usual at my computer, I got the front panel filed down some more, so that it was snug but could be removed easily.  Then I started cutting the litter catching pad, to fit better.  I need to be able to remove it for washing, so didn't want the new box crate on top of it, the way I had it the day before.






As usual, some of my cat crew watched and inspected.







I eventually got each of the corners cut so that the pad would lay flat. 





Then in went the litter box and I slid the front panel into place.  Ta-da, all done!







This view of the back side, from our bedroom, looking through the sliding door, shows the entrance to the litter box.  Plenty of room for the cats, but the dog won't be able to get to it.







Our noon, group chat included Britney, Courtney, Dan and Val, Mom and Jean, Patty, and Joe and I.  We talked for over an hour.




Joe and I sat on the couch in the sun room during our video call, and the dog and cats were nearby, entertaining but distracting.







In this photo, you can see that the sun room screen door is open, with a metal dog crate panel to keep cat claws off the screen.  Now that the litter box is out of this corner, we can use this door, which also leads to the deck.



I was fixin' to put these two tires on the wall for additional climbing shelves for the cats, but they seem to like them on the floor.  I am going to need to keep my eyes out for more tires this size so I can have some on the wall and one or two on the floor.

Courtney had cut out early from our chat group because she still was not feeling well.  I continued to worry about her, and several of us advised a trip back to the Dr. 

It turned out to be a rather hot muggy day.  I decided to go for a ride into the Glade.  This time I took lots of time getting Amiga ready to go.  Leg wraps, fly mask, fly spray, and gave her a Prevocox so she wouldn't feel sore later.

We had a good ride and Amiga was not at all bothered by this black snake on the trail. 






We did get sprinkled on a few times, and Polly texted me from the barn that it was pouring rain there.  I could tell coming back because the Holly trail had gotten a little slippery.  The trails near the barn were also much wetter.

I was glad we had gotten some rain at home, so I did not need to water the grass seed at day's end.



Tuesday 5/26 - Now that the cat tower is an additional 20" off the floor, it appears Monita was thinking about the possibility of getting up on the fan blade.

As has been the case everyday for over a week now, rain was expected, so I was out working in the yard by 9:30.
There are two sets of bugs in this photo.  Both attached at their hind ends, appear to be mating.








I trimmed shrubs, raked leaves and pulled weeds from the flower bed out front, until rain chase me in at about 11:30.




Lunch on the porch and then I sat on the swing to read.  I used my beach towel for a blanket because it was a tad cool out.  I did take a short nap while laying here.






I was re-motivated and back outside by late afternoon.  I continued with the same work that I was doing in the morning.  I took a break to feed our pets, and ducks (video) and then continued working down back.




 At one point, when across the creek with some sticks to leave in the woods, I walked around to the 17th green to look at the Mountain Laurel.  If you look closely, you can see the ducks in the pond, at the bank under the whitest bush.  I walked back around to get their photo.





















I don't recall seeing this one Laurel so full of blooms in years past.  It is quite pretty.







After a shower to de-tick (I had taken one off my arm while working) Joe and I watched two Blue Bloods (from 8-9:40) while I had dinner of popcorn and beer.

Mama Styx and Babe cleaning each other (video) when I had climbed into bed for the night.


Wednesday 5/27 -My day always starts, anywhere between 4 and 5:30 am, in the sun room here at my computer.  The cats (four at times) join me throughout my stay, which lasts from three to five hours.  I wish I could get myself up from my seat, and moving sooner.







The girls appeared to be looking for trouble.  I had opened to the screen door, which provides a different view and new smells for them.




Babe in the tire stack.

I decided to first work in the yard until the rain came.
The impatiens are happy here on the front porch.









The rain held off a lot longer than expected so I was able to make a big dent in weed and leaf removal out front.  I forgot to take before photos.  Here are some during and an after shot.












Leaves I didn't yet get to, can  be seen in the right side of this last photo.  There are also plenty of weeds yet to get.

Rain appeared to have moved in for the remainder of the day, but I was too tired to continue on my inside projects, photo frames or cat shelves, so I read and napped.






A long walk after dinner took Maggie and I into the hub of Fairfield Glade, where many amenities are.  I enjoyed the landscape while Maggie took pleasure in all the new smells.





As dark descended we worked our way back to Druid golf course and down #18 fairway to the 17th green above Turtle pond, which sits at the bottom of our back yard.

It was 8:30 when we got home, so I soon called it quits for the day.



Thursday 5/28 - Two more days of rain were predicted, so I wanted to finish my cat climbing shelves project.  I had snagged this wooden ladder from the burn pile at Wildwood when we took our pallet, cast off lumber there, so I was trying to figure a way to use it.  


Styx was exploring the ladder, smelling it's new smells, and trying to determine a way to climb up and down it.












I wanted to find another tire the size of the first two, and had several other errands to run in town.  Joe had nothing better to do, and I think has gotten bored with TV and computer, so he came along.  We decided to make a 'day trip' out of it, including stopping for lunch at Ruby Tuesday's.  After several thrift stores and two recycle centers, we found a little tire in the back of the tire dump trailer behind the Shadden Tire store.  We also went to Tractor Supply, Rural King, Big Lots, Lowe's, Walmart, and the Dollar Store.  It had been a five hour excursion.


You can see the third tire I got, that Stevie is sniffing.  It is a little smaller than the first two.  So then my 'wheels' were turning as to how to configure the rest of the shelves and steps I wanted.

The rain picked back up just as we finished getting all our 'goods' stored away.  










I was feeling cold and tired so made a cup of tea and sat on the bench in the sun room to read.

Maggie seemed to be bored and tired of this weather also.

These cold gloomy rainy afternoons make me want to sit down with a cup of hot tea and a good book.  But wouldn’t you know, after several sips of the delightful brew, the sun came out and it got hot and muggy.  I can’t win.  Maybe this is how they came to invent ice tea.

Mama Styx checking out what I was doing.














Joe, Maggie, and I went on a nice long walk after the dinner hour.  Once home and in my PJs, I had beer and popcorn for a late dinner, while watching Swiss Family Robinson with Joe, another one of his old favorites.

Friday 5/29 - The view from Britney's kitchen window... through her garage which is now part of her house.

Mid morning I learned that Britney was going to be laid off work today.  LASP does not plan to have a fall semester.  So Britney will now be unemployed.  She is hoping to be able to keep the benefit of her apartment since she is the only one around to manage the two properties (her apt, office, and classroom complex and the house up the street).  She hopes to be like a live-in caregiver and her goal is to stay in Costa Rica and not lose her residency.... just wait it out till the spring and see if LASP has a spring semester.  She looses her health insurance but is covered under the public system ("caja" it is called) since she is a resident.  She really likes her neurosurgeon (Dr. Caceres) who works both at a private and the public hospital there. 

I was quick to get out in the garage and start working on the step ladder.  Joe helped with the sawing as directed.

Here is a photo of the part's names for reference. 

The shelf that swings down when the ladder is opened was broken so using the Sawzall, I had Joe cut through the hardware brads to remove the two boards that hold the shelf.  Then we took off the bottom step to shorten the ladder and it would lighten its weight as well.  These were quite moldy and a tad rotten anyway.

The two metal hinge (spreader) parts were removed because the back of the ladder will be flat against the wall and not opened all the way.  Then the two boards that had held the shelf were cut to fit, and attached to the back of the ladder (One right under the top of the ladder and the other the second board down).  They add support and will be used to secure the ladder to the wall.







 Next I spent a great deal of time sanding the whole ladder.  I was trying to remove the splotches of white paint and the mildew which was worse at the bottom of the ladder.






I was busy with this task most of the rest of the day.  I was actually out in the garage sanding and bleaching the ladder until 9pm.





At one point when I took a dinner break, I had second thoughts about where and how I was going to use this ladder.  I had already put in so much work on it I didn't want to abandon it, so I brought it into the porch and immediately the cats were exploring it there.  After trying some different ideas for the cats to scale the wall, and then watching some videos of cats using ladders, I decided to stick with my original game plan.  I hope to unveil the finished project next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment