Friday, June 5, 2020

Enough Already

There is a breaking point, the moment of greatest strain, a time at which someone or something gives way under the stress.  This unwillingness to tolerate any more of something undesirable is when a situation becomes critical.  Before reaching the moment of greatest strain (the last straw) we need to say enough already!  It would be best if we could adapt rather than react.  Ignoring the situation or difficulty is not going to de-escalate it.  Problems ignite, unfold, persist, and then need to get resolved.


Here in the US, tensions are rising because citizens are asking questions about what they can expect from their government in this constantly changing world.  How things like Covid-19 and the recent riots (because of racial prejudice) are being handled are themselves causing controversy.  Severe weather, abortion, environmental problems, the treatment of animals, news media, elections, and the running of our government are other issues causing turmoil.  Horrific conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned.  Regardless of what side of any issue you are on, we need to rebuke inhumane, unjust, disrespectful, dishonest, and hateful actions.   



I hope (and usually feel) that I have overcome and grown beyond prejudice, but then find myself saying, or feeling, or doing something that reveals I still have much to learn.  I keep praying for my heart to love all.  I also pray hard that unity and love supersedes no matter what color, sex, religion, political group, or person we may choose to support.  I pray everyone can show compassion and love towards everyone else.  It disturbs be to see otherwise.
Saturday 5/30 - The persistent rain finally vamoosed and it looked like several days of sunshine were in store for us.  For this improvement in the weather, I was quite thankful, but it also pressured me to want to finish my inside project of wall hangings (including cat shelves).

I went out to check on the bleach job on the ladder, and it had helped.  I continued sanding some more until fatigue and satisfaction were both reached.

A quick and very successful trip to Ace Hardware, and I brought home the needed hardware to finish the ladder.  We added the metal support bars and an old plywood board for a shelf.

I looked it over, once in the sun room, and was happy with how it looked, although a little concerned that it was a bit bulky to have hanging on the wall.


Joe helped me attach it to the wall and the cats did an initial inspection.

I returned the end table under the ladder, and it worked and looked okay, although the ladder was not easy for the cats to climb.

It was difficult for the cats to get up on the shelf once I had the lamp on the end table.  I forgot to calculate arc when a cat jumps up on something, so they could not get enough
height with a jump and had to do more of a hop which wasn't easy for them.






Joe left to golf and I got to work painting both a shelf to hang in our bathroom and a shelf to go over the sliding door in the sun room.




In order to get the three tires ready for use, I filled a 30 gallon tub with soapy water and scrubbed each of them, getting them as clean as possible.

Soon after Joe got home from golfing, I had him hang the shelf over the sliding door.









This would enable the cats to move from the ladder to the cat tree.  We couldn’t put it right where I had envisioned it, because there’s a metal edge at the top of the sliding door that was in the way.

Stevie, the bravest of our felines, was the first to check out this new shelf.  She found it scary moving from the ladder to the shelf.  One problem was, again she could not jump with a correct arc because the light overhead was in her way.  She tried stepping across, but the gap was too far apart.  I pulled over the aluminum step ladder, got up, and helped her across the space.













Stevie proceeded to cross the shelf, sit, and enjoy her height and domain over the sun room.  Monita and Styx were quite curious about Stevie’s location.  But they both were too afraid to get up on the shelf.

At one point Stevie tried to turn around but was unable to.  Eventually she found her way to the end of the shelf where the cat tree was, and exited that way.






After careful observation and thought I decided to have this shelf moved slightly.  So I had Joe help me move it down a little and closer to the ladder.  He could’ve said enough already, and probably thought it, but willingly put his TV show on hold and did this quick move for me.

I ended the day in the sun room, downloading photos, and giving the ladder more thought.

Sunday 5/31 - The last day of May!

After plenty of careful thought and observation had gone into the new ladder, I decided it really was too big and bulky for the space, and that the last step was not actually accessible or necessary.  So, much to Joe‘s chagrin, we took down the ladder, sawed off the bottom step and reattached the ladder, lowering it about three inches.


 Next I tried to saw a larger opening in the little tire so it could be hung up, but the rubber was too thick and tough to accomplish this.


Joe and I experimented and he found a way to be able to attach the tire to the wall.  He just screwed it up there, by hand.

I switched out the fancy lamp on the end table, with my smaller desk light.  With the ladder a little lower, and the smaller light, it was now easier for the cats to jump up on the bottom shelf.  Also, the tire now allows the cats to easily get to and from the hammock using the ladder.
   

















Once again, Stevie was the bravest, smartest,
and first to figure this out.














I moved things around on my desk top that had been on the wooden chest of drawers, where I then put the larger, decorative lamp.  I actually like it better this way.






I moved this fuzzy alpaca souvenir that Joe got me from Peru, off my desk top and into one of the tires.  It fit perfectly.
By 2:00 I was ready to get outside.
Joe and I went to the barn where we got Jan's battery powered Sawzall.  Patty was riding Zorro out front at the time.  Then Joe and I headed over to Stratford Dr. where we worked on the Holly trail. 








Using the saw, Joe removed roots that were a trip-a-factor.  I had shovel and rake and worked at digging into the hillside and raking dirt out, to widen and level the trail.  My clippers also came in handy for small roots.


Once Joe had had enough, we walked back to the SUV together, removing just a few more roots.  I left my rake and shovel with him and went back down the Holly Trail to continue work.  I wanted to trim brush and remove big rocks as I walked all the way back to the barn.  At one point, Emily rode by on Tasha.  You can see where trail widening and leveling had been done on this section of hill.

I got distracted by a large log across the trail.  It was too big for Joe to cut, so I slowly, but surely, drug it off the trail.  I was no farther down the trail than the creek, when Emily came back down the Holly Trail, heading for the barn.

With just clippers in hand, I thought I would move faster, but there were a lot of rocks and brush to remove.  I also drug another shorter, but just as heavy log, away from where it had crowded the trail.

It was getting dark and night creatures were starting to stir, making noises that ended up being more concerning than comforting (except the baby fowl, I think turkey, that sounded cute).  Recent and nearby bear and coyote sightings caused me to decided to call it quits before getting to the end of the trail.  I even cut across a horse pasture to get back to the barn quicker.


It was after 8pm when I got in my car to drive home.  I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I sat down.  Once home, as I got out of the car, I then realized how sore I was going to be.  First I did tick removal.  The packing tape really helps.  I took Ibuprofen and after my shower used Arnicare on my sore muscles.  By the time I had finished getting a bite to eat for dinner, it was almost 10pm when I climbed into bed.  My cosmetics look a little different than the average gal.  What can I say.  LOL
Monday 6/1 - June was already here.  It was 48° when I got up, so I closed windows.  Babe found a swath of sunlight under my desk to warm herself in. 

Feeling sore and still tired, cause I had taken a sleep aid that was slow to wear off, I took it easy all morning and even laid out in the sun on the deck with Joe for awhile.










I met Jan and Cheryl at the barn to go on a ride together, to try out the Holly Trail and go into the Glade.  When I was bringing Amiga into the barn, this King Snake was on his way out.

Jan on Cash, entering the Holly Trail, with Cheryl on Velvet behind her.
Jan then took this photo of Amiga and I.



We made it easily down the Holly Trail and into the Glade and then enjoyed riding the grassy roads.









Returning back on the Holly Trail did not go as smoothly.  Cash was acting up on the way down the hill towards the creek (later Jan found blood and a bite on his sheath).  The poor boy had had enough already.  Anyway, long story short, Jan and I were both leading our horses past the tough part near the creek, where neither wanted to go.  Cash was still kicking out (trying to get the hurtful fly) and he accidentally connected (his back hoof) with the side and back of my knee.  Ouch, I knew this was going to hurt awhile. 

When we got back to the barn, we let Amiga and Cash hang out together (and each have a roll) in the round pen because they were both acting itchy.  I iced my leg for awhile, then groomed and de-ticked Amiga before coming home.

Once home I tended to my injury and also de-ticked.  Luckily, nothing major seemed to be injured, and I was just going to be bruised and sore for awhile.  I iced it three times before bed.



Joe had been fishing while I was riding, and sent this photo.  I also got this photo from Courtney, taken earlier in the day.










I have forgotten to mention that Courtney's Dr. said she had a very bad ear infection and put her on antibiotics.  Courtney had also started coughing and was tested for Covid-19, which came back negative.  After over a week of antibiotics, Courtney was finally feeling well enough to put in contacts, first time in two weeks.


Tuesday 6/2 -The scrape on the side of my knee was feeling better, but I knew there was still swelling, so iced my leg while sitting here at my computer.  I had Joe take a photo of the back of my knees so I could compare them.







Yep, the right calf and behind the knee were kind of swollen.  I felt lucky it was no worse than this.








I iced my leg a few more times, and while here at my computer, I continued to watch and be distracted by the cats.
Styx on the table.



Stevie on the top of the ladder, reminding Babe (on the next step) who is boss.

I got up and moving by 9:30, wanting to accomplish more with the wall hagings.







Patty had come over a few days ago to help me secure a better hook for hanging the picture that almost fell off the wall again.  I touched up the frame with paint and added more glue to the crack on this sculpture between the lion and the zebra.


Patty had also advised me on brackets for the back of a shelf to hang in the bathroom, so I got that hung too.

I also made plans for the last tire shelf.



Reading on the lounge chair while icing knee and catching some rays. 




I took a long nap back inside because it was too hot outside.  I had planned a day of rest, but felt compelled to get something accomplished.  So I started on the last tire shelf.  Once Joe got home from golf I had him cut the tire apart for me, using the Sawzall.

Then using a serving platter, I drew an oval on the plywood scrap, keeping one side flat to go against the wall.  The jig saw worked well to cut out the shape. 










I finished by sanding and painting the board.
TV time with Joe ended my day as usual.


Wednesday 6/3 - My leg was improving.  Thankfully, my knee joint seemed fine.  The tendon at the side of my knee, (either hamstring tendon or IT band, or both) is what hurt.  The very top of my calf and bottom of my hamstring were also sore and tender.  Walking didn't hurt, but bending my knee all of the way did.  It was still quite swollen behind my knee, and some on the side.




I trimmed up the edges of the tire and Joe helped me get it screwed onto the plywood board.  Then we hung it up on the wall, needing to make one adjustment with the L shaped mounting brackets.






I stuck Stevie (who had been napping near by) up on the new tire shelf.






She spent a lot of time sniffing and checking it out.














I got busy elsewhere for a few minutes, and when I returned to check on Stevie, she had figured out how to exit from the shelf, but was now on the ladder taking a look at the new shelving, as if assessing the set up.

I put the shelving project on hold and rushed to get to St. George Beach to meet up with some of my pool peeps.  This photo of the beach was taken a year ago.  It looks different these days.  There are no lounge chairs available (it is now bring your own) and there are a lot less people in attendance.

After three hours at the beach, I returned home and transplanted this small shrub from the corner of the garage, to out front.















I had set this lava rock with hens and chicken at the corner here, to get it out of the way for the driveway paving.  Well, I liked it here so much that I decided to keep it here.  So I moved the bush from the corner because there really wasn't room for it.  Finishing, I planted a geranium to fill in and give color.














This is how the other side of the sidewalk looked.  The lava rock / hens and chicks planter had been at the end of it, by the driveway.

Well I moved this other lava rock, (that I have been moving from house to house since Heritage Rd.) and put it here where the other one had been.






I added some hens and chickens to the few that were in it, did some weeding, and planted some flowers near by.  Lots more weeding still needs to occur.





Once inside for the evening, I touched up paint on some holes I had caulked, and painted the two metal brackets that held the tire shelf.  I also painted the screws black, that were holding the tire to the wood.



Before (left) and after (right).

I had to encourage and teach the cats how to move about on the shelves.  Their instincts are good, not to trust the shelf until first testing it.






I kept the step ladder handy to put each cat up on the shelves.  Babe was watching and learning from Stevie who is the bravest, or most daring.

I ended the evening here in the sun room, kind of monitoring and watching the cats.  There was little activity on the shelves, and some were more interested in my lap.


Thursday 6/4 - The cats found the step ladder (I was still keeping handy) more interesting than the new shelves on the wall.

Monita did seem to be using it to get a closer look at and survey the new shelving.  I think she is so cute.  I think they all are.


After wide-sweeping shutdowns and shelter-in-place orders, the US has started relaxing these strict measures.  Now there is a heated debate over when and how to restart the economy while protecting public health.  I say, enough already.  People need to be able to do what they think works for them, while also respecting the health of others they interact with.  I had been hemin' and hawin' about going to the gym, the beach, restaurants, and outdoor dance venues.  I need to consider my mental health and my declining physical condition, due to poor exercise and nutrition.  I am at the point where it is worth the risk to socialize and workout at the gym.


Babe was checking out the new tire shelf again.


She deemed it safe to sit in.  Then she had to figure out how to exit from it.
Here is a (video) tour of my sun room/office/cattery, with all the new improvements.





It was supposed to be a rainy day, but had still not come to fruition, and was actually rather hot in the sun.  I went out to water potted plants and new transplants.  I was hoping the young grass would be okay until rain.  And then I worked at weeding this section of flower bed.








I discovered phlox intertwined by weeds and crowded between the two shrubs, so transplanted it to the corner of the garage, removing all the weeds that were entangled in its roots.  I really disturbed its roots in the process so will have to keep it well watered for awhile.



I did not make a lot of progress before the skies did open up and it rained fairly hard. 

The cats were milling around while I prepared and ate lunch.


Then I hit the porch swing for a few hours and finished this book (Icy Sparks) by Gwyn Hyman Rubio.




It rained off and on the rest of the evening, which I frittered away.



Friday 6/5 - No longer the cute little kitten, look how large Babe has gotten.  She is taller and longer than the other three, but not as fat as any of them.  Now she is a pretty cat. 😺









It rained much of the morning.  I was at my computer till 11am, getting this blog ready to post and I also spent 88 minutes working a 302 piece on line jigsaw puzzle.  Enough already, I need to quit spending so much time on the computer.




Just like the cats like to keep an eye on me while I am puttsing around inside, Maggie likes to watch me (and the yard and the critters in the yard) while I am outside.







I had a lovely ride on Amiga, quite pleased with how well she was listening to me and behaving.
It is very difficult to take a selfie of me and my horse.




To go out back on the trail, we had to stop and wait for the tractor to dump a load of manure into the spreader.  Amiga was nervous at first but calmed right down.

I was bummed about Courtney re-lapsing and not coming for the weekend, as planned.  And also Jim who had gotten detained in traffic would not get here until too late to go to Spikes.  I had planned on going with the guys and meeting up with some of my girls to listen to a band and probably dance a little. 

To lift my spirits, I took a long evening walk with Maggie.  I needed to get some exercise as well.  First photo a view from the 18th green.










The moon was rising as we came to the 17th green, down from the #18 fairway and tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment