Friday, July 23, 2021

Oh Fiddlesticks!

 I was wondering if 'Fiddlesticks' was a replacement for a swear word.  According to quora.com, Fiddlesticks derives from the literal ‘fiddle sticks,’ that is, the bows that are used to play violins. “Fiddlesticks” meaning “nonsense” is from the 1620s.  Today it is used as an interjection, an expression of mild disbelief, disappointment, or frustration.  It is used to express annoyance, disagreement, or impatience; sometimes it's a mild swear word.

Saturday 7/17 - I woke up at 3:00 and couldn't get back to sleep.  Fiddlesticks!  So I got up and messed here at my computer.  Joe was out of town for the week, so at least I didn't have to worry about waking him up.  But I had full-time dog duty.  Rain was expected so I walked Maggie after I got my tea started, and again every 90 minutes because she would not poop!  And yes, we got sprinkled on a few times.  She actually went 24 hours without pooping.

Seen right - the face I get when I start to lecture her about doing her business right away when out walking. 

LOL... Not Really.  I caught her at the end of a yawn.  

I napped from 7-8am and when I got up, I had a little more energy and enthusiasm for the day, and because it looked like the rain would hold off, I prepared to go to the ranch.

Oh Fiddlesticks!  The music and beer festival I had plan to go to early afternoon was cancelled due to the weather forecast. 


So I decided to go work at the ranch.  I loaded up all these logs we had piled in the back corner of Brian's yard, to get them out of the way (line of sight).  Joe and I are planning a bonfire at the ranch some cool evening in August, so these would work good for that.






I piled all of the lumber by the well cover down near the barn.  It is in close proximity to where we have been burning brush.


 

Then I worked at moving more dirt off the concrete pad by the machine shed.  I had intended to quit once it started raining, but by 3:00, it never had.  I was plum tuckered out, so quit before getting all the dirt removed.  But this shows the day's progress.



I did discover this concrete drainage ditch that appears to take water from the machine shed roof runoff, down away from the concrete slab.  This whole slab had been covered in 1 to 6 inches of dirt with weeds and grass growing.  The ditch had some briar with 2" roots and stems, so was tough to remove.

Once we get the hill on the other side of the machine shed smoothed out, and holes filled in, we will move these piles of dirt over there (with the tractor) and plant grass seed. 


Terry had alerted me to some big zucchini in Joe's garden, so I picked these, which had gotten way too big.  I also picked some leaf lettuce and brought it home.  All of Joe's salad crops have bolted.  He did a ton of research before planting, but needs to research continual care of crops for best harvest. 

Maggie finally pooped when I got home and walked her.  After making and eating a big, tasty salad, doing some chores, and showering, I put on my PJ's and planned to call it a day (at 6:00).

Micki texted me about 6:30 to come join 'the girls' at Spikes. I was indecisive for about 30 seconds but then hopped up from my computer, changed out of my pajamas, walked the dog and headed to Spikes.  (I needed to drop off a zucchini at Karen's on the way and pick up a bag of ice at Food City on the way home.) 


Girls, GIRLS!  Look this way please.


Elaine's husband Richard was finally able to get a good photo of all of us.  

It was a beautiful 73° evening, the singer was doing a great job, the beer hit the spot, and it was wonderful to be out enjoying life with so many others.

I love the moon rising between the gentle wave of these two flags (video).

After almost four hours, plenty of dancing, lots of talking, two beers and three waters, I hit Food City on the way home. 

 






I was so glad I had decided against being a tired, lazy homebody, and instead to go out.  Although, it was nice to get home and into bed (at 11:00 late).  I was soon fast asleep.


Sunday 7/18 - What can be better than an early morning Ava fix?  

Rain was again in the forecast, but it has been so hit and miss, you can never count on it spoiling outside activities. 

This mushroom patch is an indication of just how damp it has been.  And I noticed the air has kind of a moldy, musty smell.



 








The mulch tends to be a good growing medium for mushrooms.  I am not sure it is even worth trying to get rid of them all.   



Babe discovered the bin I had picked up at an estate sale.  Look closely, you can see her tongue out.  Stevie had been in this the day before, just after I brought it home.

 




Of course, Monita had to come along and spoil the fun.

 

 

The prediction of rain had been moved to early afternoon, so I decided to go get in a ride before the trails got even muddier.  



 





I rode across the street and up into the winter pasture, which is now planted in beans.

I rode the upper ridge of the long trail and then decided to venture down the hill to Daddy's Creek.  Parts of the hill were a muddy washboard so I tried a by-pass, but then came across a downed tree.  Fiddlesticks!  (I think I used a stronger expletive.)  It was too narrow to turn Amiga around, so I got off, and led her up through the woods back to the muddy section of hill.  I walked her, slowly and carefully through the mud, down the hill, trying not to get into the deep mud for fear of losing my boots.  We made it!  And then had a beautiful ride along Daddy's Creek (video).    


The rhododendron were about done blooming, but fern and moss were lush and Daddy's Creek was high. 

On the way back to the barn I came across a dead turtle, on its back, in a mud hole close to where I had seen the live one on my last ride.  Now I wish I had gotten off Amiga to move it off the trail when I saw it last week.

Take a closer look at this downed tree...

The 'root ball' was not very thick and you can see the big rock (boulder) the tree had been growing on top of.

After our great ride, I went to the ranch to get some work done before the predicted rain.

I did a little more digging of the dirt in the concrete trench by the machine shed and unearthed this two foot long metal rod.  It looks like a nail, but was actually big.  I envisioned the knob on top, as the handle for a tractor stick shift.  Got no idea what it was though.  I had dug up some broken cinder block and carried it down to the back side of the dam, and then got distracted.  There were some good rocks Joe had dumped back there.  So I drug them up the embankment and stacked them to haul out.  I also worked at leveling a few piles of concrete so the back side of the dam will eventually be a flat hillside.  As I worked, a storm started brewing, the sky got darker, and the thunder drew closer.  I took this photo shorty before it began sprinkling and I started jogging in a light rain to get back to the machine shed and pack up for the day.  I would get the stacked rocks another day.



On the drive home, I got hit by a torrential downpour.  I had to slow way down for fear of hitting standing water or flooded roadway. 

It rained hard for probably 45 minutes.  When it finally let up, I went down back to investigated the flooded creek and pond.  I took several photos and videos. 
(video) It was raining cats and dogs.
(video) A look at water coming down the creek behind Allen's, from the culvert under Lakeview.
(video) Flooding at the dam spillway. 

Water under, over, and around Allen's bridge.     Looking up towards the culvert under Lakeview.

A very flooded creek.


Part of the spillway has washed out again.  Look at the amount of water coming under the bridge.



Patty alerted me to a police report, that Lakeview at the dip by Flossmoor Circle was closed because the culvert had washed out.  These photos were on the Facebook Police report.

Wow!  I really think they need to put in a larger pipe (or two pipes) to carry all the water that now comes down-stream.  With more development (housing, drives, and paved roads) up-stream, more water can be expected.  It also doesn't help when we get six inches of rain in just a few hours.





It was another quiet evening at home with light rain dampening our dog walks.

All four cats joined me in bed while I read before lights out.  They were actually waiting for me to throw the mice toys.

Monday 7/19 - When I went out at 6:30am to put corn on the rock, I took this photo.  Look at all the debris that had washed into the marsh land.











I also saw this medium size snapper in the creek.  Was it looking over the new lay of the land? 



The twins with mama doe arrived for breakfast while I was on the deck filling a bird feeder.









I noticed, in the fog, the golf course workers cleaning up the debris at the cart path bridge and dam.


 

I met Patty at the barn at 7:15.  She helped me worm Amiga and I helped her worm Zorro.  We managed to get the goo into their mouths without making too big of a mess, although some was spit out.

I went on to the ranch from the barn, and worked for a few hours.  I collected the rocks I had stacked at the edge of the pond dam and I went around to other spots (the trail in back and the side pasture) where I had also piled some rocks.  I loaded the smaller, flat ones into my car to take home for wall building.  I put four of the real big ones on the pile by the machine shed, and I dumped the odd balls (wonky shape or soft sandstone) behind the concrete wall along the hillside and machine shed, that we will be filling in.

I worked at clearing the rest of the dirt off the concrete pad.  It was kind of wet and muddy, so stuck to the shovel and weighed more than usual (fiddlesticks).  Luckily, I didn't have that much more to remove. 

Terry and I had chatted a bit and I mentioned wondering what the rail tracks and concrete ditch had been for.  Later, after she talked with Billy, she sent me a text:  "A previous owner was a mechanic who worked on equipment.  He also had operated a saw mill.  The indentation in the concrete would allow for saws."  This made sense, however, it seemed the trench should run parallel to the tracks.  It also seemed odd that the trench was so shallow near the machine shed, and deep down hill from it.  I did a little research and looked at many old photos.  I saw some similarities, like the rail tracks and concrete pylons that are part of the slab.  I would love some day to dig into the history of our ranch.


Tracks with pully attached to pylons.          The carriage on its tracks.         


Once home just before 11am, I checked out the culvert while walking Maggie.  It seems the road was sagging a little bit since the night before. 
 
 



 

 

 

We walked along the creek heading home and I saw this turtle.  It was up stream from where I had seen it (or a different one) earlier in the morning.

I had my second cup of tea and a late second breakfast (early lunch) while continuing blogging.  I saw this bobcat photo posted by Beth Chellis on the Watchable Wildlife in Fairfield Glade Facebook page.  It is so heartbreaking to see this.  A friend had just told me about stopping for a fawn that was crossing the road and the on coming truck (that was speeding and never slowed down) smacked right into it, sending it flying and surely killing it.  Drivers around here need to slow down, be on the lookout for wildlife, and give them the right of way!  

I got sleepy so moved to the porch swing to nap.  Monita and Stevie had napped with me and then Stevie left when I sat up to read.  Next thing I know, Babe came to sit on my lap.  This is a first time ever she has volunteered to sit on my lap.
 






And before long, Mama Styx came for some lovin'.  Soon she reciprocated the love I had given her by loving on Babe, her adult child (video).




Joe sent me this photo of his adventures with Greg.  This was their campsite along the Mississippi River.  They were near the Quad Cities where they would be going to a Gordon Lightfoot concert later in the evening.


I had heard workers up at the culvert, but not for very long, nor were they very loud.  So I took Maggie on a long walk, first along the creek.  I found this bowling ball 2/3rds buried in the creek at the curve just before the pond.  At first Maggie thought it was another Jolly ball. LOL.  That had to be some flood water to carry it from who knows where, all the way here.

After I dug the bowling ball out of the creek,
we headed upstream to the culvert to check out the work.


Part of the road had caved in and no road repair had been started, except "ONE CALL" had been painted on the road.

Maggie and I continued our walk, heading up Library Trail and back down #18 of Druid.





I was about to shower and dress for Mirror Lake Blast, when a little thunderstorm hit.  I decided to wait and see if it was still a go.

Oh Fiddlesticks!  It was cancelled.  So instead of an outfit and my dancing shoes, I put on my PJ's after my shower.  Computer time ended the day.  


Tuesday 7/20 - Val giving her baby girl a manicure.  Look how Ava appears to be watching so intently.  Very cute. 

I had been up reading from 1-3am (unable to get back to sleep) so when I got up at my usual 5:00, I did not feel well rested.  Fiddlesticks!

This bunny was outside my office window while I was here blogging and gaming some.  I was having troubles getting motivated to start being productive with my day.

I did finally get to the gym, later than usual.  And I hit an estate sale where I bought a hammer and a broom (supplies for the ranch) for $3.50.  


When I returned home at 2pm, I felt 'done for the day' and decided yard work would have to wait.  Stevie (on the porch swing) had the right idea.  So, I ate a big salad for a late lunch, read for awhile, and then moved out on the deck to nap under a mostly cloudy sky.
 

I woke at 4pm, in the shade of the trees because the sun had moved farther down in the sky.  I do not like to see our long summer days shortening.

Joe sent this photo of he and Greg at a Cardinal's game, playing the Cubs.  I was glad the 'boys' were having a good time.

Once the dog and cats were fed and my evening chores were done (early) I went to the barn to do a little trailer loading and take a short ride.

Carole was at the barn, and very willing to help me with trailer practice, to wiggle the butt bar while Amiga was in the trailer.  However, Amiga backed off without me asking her to.  Jeff, a trainer that has been working at the barn all summer, dropped by to chat with Carole.  I asked a quick question, but the reply was anything but quick.  Jeff gave me some great tips and basically, I am going to alter the butt bar and trailer tie before actually closing Amiga in.  It was 7:30 by the time we finished at the trailer, so I ditched the idea to ride and came home, taking Maggie on a 30 minute walk.

Wednesday 7/21 - On our second morning walk, because I heard lots of commotion up at the culvert, I went to see what workers were up to.  I ended up chatting with them.  They said the big galvanized pipe that’s in there right now has rusted out on the bottom and started to collapse. So it doesn’t allow the volume of water to go through plus it’s causing the road to sink. Anyway they’re getting a new pipe, something that will last longer, but be the same size of what they have in there right now.  I hope it does the job.


I walked down stream to get home.  This photo was taken looking back up at the caved in culvert.

I noticed lots of gravel in the creek bed, that has come down from the road, along with trash, and debris that had washed up along the sides of the creek.





I decided I would pick up debris along the creek before working in the yard.  Below is a look at gravel in the creek bed past Allen's bridge and you can see some trash caught in the branches. 








There was all sorts of stuff, not only littering the edge of the creek, but caught in the marshland where the creek empties into the pond. 


The natural litter (leaves, sticks, and large branches) I drug up hill into the woods on the other side of the creek.  I put bottles and cans in our recycle and bagged up the rest of the crap to go out with our trash.  Here is a board, bowling ball, and golf ball worth keeping, along with a landscape light and plastic pipe ring.




After clearing all the creek bed and bank, I worked around the oasis and lower part of our hill.  There was lots of leaves and sticks that had been left washed up against tree trunks and shrubs.  Then with what little time I had left before going to work, I started weeding my moss garden.  You can see in this photo, the left side is weeded, the right side still needs to be done.


My 1:30 - 6:30 shift was busy.  That's how I like it.  I pulled a tick from my neck, just as it bit me, while at the pool.  Between the multiple chigger bites and occasional tick bites I’ve been so itchy, I feel like a flea infested dog sometimes.  Fiddlesticks.

I walked Maggie after feeding her and the cats.  I feel bad for her being confined to the mancave for so long.  First we went to check the culvert project.  They had gotten the old pipe out and cleared the opening for the replacement pipe. 

Looking upstream from the center of the road.

Looking down stream to where the creek runs towards our back yard.








Maggie and I continued our walk up Library Trail and back down part of the golf course.

It has still been in the mid 60s each night so I have been enjoying having the air off and the windows open.

Thursday 7/22 -  I was back at the pool by 8:15 for a 5½ hour shift.  It was quite busy much of the time, with the closest parking lot almost always full and most of the seats around the pool taken.  Like I have said before, I love being busy.

This is me on the porch swing, 20 minutes after getting home.  I finished my paperback book "Inside Delta Force" and then took a short nap.

Once my head had cleared, it was 4:30 and the day was pretty much shot.  I feel like I have been rather lazy, and I am not sure why.  Maybe it's the increased heat and humidity.  That, or I am getting old.  Ughhh.

I fed Maggie and the cats and then went to look at the finished culvert work (although they still need to blacktop the road).





The first photo shows the new pipe, looking from up-stream.
  This second photo shows it looking up at it from down stream.






In this last photo, taken from Flossmoor Circle, you can see there is a big gravel patch on the road.

 
My evening deer visitors was this very cautious doe and a fairly little fawn that stuck pretty close to her. 


In this last photo of mom and baby, if you look close, you can see that the mushroom patch from Sunday's photos has mostly turned dark brown.  It is very nasty now, like goo. 

We are going on a weekend get-a-way with the kids so I was trying to organize and plan for that, in addition to getting caught up on blogging so I could post this before we left.

Friday 7/23 - With lots on my mind, I knew if I woke in the middle of the night I would have troubles getting back to sleep.  So I had taken a sleeping pill, and it did the trick.  Although, I slept until after 6am and still felt groggy when I got up, and I was slow moving for quite awhile.

Maggie protecting her food dish from the cat.  Monita is such a pig, there is little to stop her from stealing from others.  I use a news paper to shoo her away from my food.






Joe arrived home a little after 9:00.  I was busying packing while he unpacked all his camping gear and week of dirty clothes.  Notice Monita and Stevie in on the action.  I started a load of laundry.


Joe got me this souvenir shirt which I love, but it is a men's XL.  Oh Fiddlesticks!!  No idea what he was thinking, but at least he had me in mind with what the shirt says.  I wonder if there is any way to alter it so that the super large arm holes don't allow a peak at what I would rather not have others viewing. 

The load of clothes has been moved to the dryer, I am pretty much packed with most of my chores done, and am now heading to the gym.  I have only been getting in two workouts a week lately, and know there will be little exercise and much eating occurring this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment