Friday, August 6, 2021

Why Recycle

This is part of a clip from the paper that Fairfield Glade Sanitation department posted earlier this summer:  Reasons to recycle -
We encourage you to consider recycling more of your trash by taking recyclable materials to the County Convenience Center next to Leisure Kraft on Peavine Rd.  By doing this we can reduce the amount of trash we have to take to the County transfer station which will save us money over time. Since the County generates revenue from these materials it also helps keep our property taxes lower.  Additionally, less trash is put into the landfill which is good for the environment and saves the County money. 



I know I am 'preaching to the choir' with some of you, but many others of you I know, don't recycle (for whatever reason). 

Not only does recycling usually help the local economy, and save you money, it preserves
landfill space, the environment, and limited resources including energy.  Every little bit you each do is helpful. 

This is our recycle center in the garage at the moment, not including the coolers.  The trash bag is full of bottles and cans I brought home from our weekend at the lake.  The pillow is in a bin of 'textiles' which they collect at the larger recycle center in Crossville.  Batteries, tires, and old electronics are some of the other things they will take.






Saturday 7/31 - It is hard to believe that July is ending.  And with that, now the start of the holiday count down...









It was a foggy morning, and having been out late the night before, I was feeling rather lazy.


Valencia sent me this photo of Dan and Ava, indicating how these two were this morning, after a long night.  Poor, sweet, cute, little babies.

My day wasn’t very productive but I did manage to spend most of it keeping busy.





I took Maggie on a long walk since I knew she would be home alone much of the afternoon. We did the Library Trail including the loop.  This bridge crosses the creek a short way up from the culvert that washed out.  I was surprised the bridge hadn't washed away or at least been dislodged.

Joe had gone to Cincinnati the day before to attend our nephew Joseph's graduation party.  He sent this photo of the two of them together.



Right after lunch I went for a long shopping trip.  I hit many of the thrift stores looking for some items for the ranch.  I always end my shopping trip at Walmart because I buy produce which goes in the cooler.  It was not near as crowded as I expected with it being the weekend for the Tennessee tax exemption for back to school savings.  Anyway they don’t tax clothing or food and other school items like computers and books and stuff like that.  So I decide to stock up on food.  After a long wait in the checkout line, even though more than the usual number of lines were open, I did finally get out of there purchasing over $250 worth of food and some other house essentials.  The cashier said that almost everybody had surpassed $200 in the check out today.  No wonder the lines were moving so slowly. 

It was almost dinner time when I got home.  I took care of the dog and cats first, after storing away all of the perishables.  I made myself a big salad with some of the new produce I had bought and then I took Maggie on another very long walk this time going most of the back nine of Druid.  Notice some of the many views from the cart path. 











By the time we got home, (7:30) it was all I could do to muster enough energy to do the litter boxes and finish putting the groceries away.  I wish there were a way to reduce, or reuse, or recycle used cat litter.  I compost fruit and veggie scraps, tea bags, egg shells, etc. but no protein or grease and cat litter would NOT be good to put in the environment. 
With it getting dark earlier, I was ready to go to bed before my usual time.


Sunday 8/1 - Hello August.  It appeared that things were a little cheerier at the Murfreesboro Villhauer household this morning. 

I spent too long at my computer getting this blog started and playing some games.  I need to reduce this type of activity.

Courtney sent this photo of her visit with Ava at Dan and Val's.


I did have a nice little video chat with mom and Jean.  Nobody else was available to join us so it was good to just have an uninterrupted conversation with the three of us. 

After lunch I went to the ranch to start preparing for our little bonfire party.  I re-organized the tack room which has now been vacated by Terry since she has moved her three horses to their 8½ acre property, the other parcel right next to ours.


Then much of my time and effort was spent cleaning the port-a-potty (outhouse).  I started with a broom to get rid of all the cob webs, and then I used three buckets of soapy water to wash dust from all the surfaces.  Finally with bleach wipes, I disinfected everything.





Joe arrived (coming straight from Cincinnati) and started mowing the barn yard area.  I had to get home to make my zucchini casserole for the night's dinner gathering at Patty's, so I quit, with still more to do.

I managed to get the casserole made and baked without too many mishaps.  And I must say, I thought it was quite tasty when eaten later.

Seen here are Joe, Patty, Karen, Therese, Joanne, and Shirley.

They had cooked a wonderful dinner for us and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Karen and Joe left early and the rest of us had fun playing Scattergories. 

I was too tired to do any chores once home and then struggled to get to sleep because of a too full tummy.

Monday 8/2 - It was another case of being unable to go back to sleep after taking my thyroid pill at 2:15, so eventually I got up and started computerizing.  At one point the cats were going bonkers, chasing a moth that was flitting around in the cattery.  I’ve never seen the cats voluntarily go up on this highest tire up on the side wall.  That’s Babe up there.  They were actually racing across the wall units chasing the moth.  Three of the four cats were in hot pursuit of the insect.  Spoiler Alert - I was afraid there might be a mishap, so batted down the moth with a broom and Babe ate it. 

I napped from 6 to 8am, and had a third cup of tea trying to clear my head and really start my day.  At this point I heard the trash man coming, and because I’d been so tired the night before, and gone to bed without collecting it, I had to frantically race around trying to get it out to the curb before they came down our street.


I had made a list of items needed to take to the ranch, along with things still to do out there, so gathered up supplies before heading out.  I also did a load of laundry, loaded and started the dishwasher, and cleaned litter boxes, among other domestic chores.

It took me over an hour to finish in the port-a-potty, including hanging these lights.  I hope they look cool when turned on after dark, and light the way for people using this facility.
 

I backed the lawn mower with wagon into the woods to gather sticks.  It was a little tricky, like backing the horse trailer, until you get the left and right maneuvers figured out.  Then I raked the old bonfire coals into a pile and stacked sticks and then wood on top.  Our Tuesday night's fire is ready to be ignited. 






As often happens, I lost track of time and had to hurry to get home and then off to Mirror Lake Blast.  I met Patty and Joanne there.  We sat way left of center stage.  Melissa Ellis (a local talent) played.  She was okay to listen to, but you couldn't sing along to all her own songs, and she didn't play any dance numbers.


Tuesday 8/3 - It was yet another day without making it to the gym.  I just don't have time for everything. 

I was out the door by 9:30, running some errands and then on to the ranch.  Joe came out a little later and we moved the picnic table closer to the fire pit.  I also mowed the grass real short around the pit and sprayed for insects.



I didn't get to the Wildwood barn until after 1:00 and with little time, just rode bareback for a short while.  I took Amiga past Henry's grave site.  He had to be put down the day before.







The Wildwood workers had gathered rocks from the trail and put them on his grave.


 

I made a quick trip home to regroup and then Joe and I went back out to the ranch about 5:30 to finish setting up and getting ready for our guests.  Once everything was done and the fire started, Joe was ready to party, and right on time (at 6:30) people started to arrive.








It was almost like a caravan of cars coming down the lane and parking.  People brought their chairs, and food, and drink and came together around the table and bonfire.



We gave little tours of the property before dark and then settled in to eat, drink, and be merry.

Check out my porta-a-potty lights.  I don't think anyone used it all night though.  LOL 







I think we all had a lovely evening. It was so fun to visit with old friends, some I haven’t seen for a few years, and to visit with the regulars from Wildwood Stable.  There were also some recent acquaintances that I hope someday become new Saddle Sisters. 






Everybody hit it off with horse tales and other experiences.  New friends were made, and we were able to catch up with or get better acquainted with each other.  It was just nice to gather around the fire and share some food and enjoy some drinks. 


Per the invite, the party was over right at 9:30 and everybody cleared out pretty quickly. 

Once home, as I fell asleep, I reflected on the blessings I have with the ranch, my horse, and all of my wonderful horsey friends.


Wednesday 8/4 - My day's Ava fix.

After a quick trip to the ranch to grab and drop off a few things, I was at the barn at 8:30 to meet Mary.  Her husband Jack also joined us.  I always say, the more the merrier.  They were running late, so we didn't hit the trail until just after 10:00.  Once saddled, I rode Amiga to an area behind the hay barn that had tall grass.  She was delighted to have extra time to graze while we waited.

We
had a very nice ride going into the Glade by way of the Holly Trail.  This is Jack on his horse Billy, coming down the first hill, to the landing near the 14th tee box.





After coming up the hill on the other side of the creek Jack and Mary dismounted and while Mary held their horses, Jack cut down a tree that has been in the way.  He had brought a little hand held saw.





We rode the trail around the golf course loop, and
I showed them other trail options as we went.  We had to dismount several times to clear some trees in various places.  Mary and I helped some with the sawing and Mary did trimming of smaller branches with her clippers.


We took turns leading and following and had a good time chitchatting periodically as we rode or stopped to clear trail.  In the lower photo you can see yet another low hanging tree across the road, up ahead of Mary.

 





We ended up being out on the trail for almost 3 hours.  Other than several horse flies and a few ticks, the bugs were not bad.  The woods were pretty, the trails were nice, our horses did very well with all the obstacles we encountered, and the weather was perfect.  It was an uneventful ride, which we always consider a good ride.
The photo below is Mary on Chipolte, just about to ride up the last hill of the Holly trial, heading for the barn.

I had to kind of hustle home, grab lunch, change, and get to the pool.  One third of it had been drained overnight and refilled in the morning so the pool did not open until ten so I did not need to come into my shift until two.  Thank goodness for that because I was definitely running slightly late.
Once at the pool, I really had a very easy workday because there were not very many customers and the last person left at 4:00.  I got all my cleaning/chores done by 5:00 and decided to close early at 5:30.
After dinner, I went on an hour long walk with Maggie.


Thursday 8/5 - I was at the pool by 8:20 and kept busy with various chores while the water aerobics class worked out from 9 to 10.  Then I helped get tables set up for Marie‘s birthday party.  For such a nice day I was surprised we didn’t have a bigger crowd until...




...people started coming for Marie‘s party.  And then we had a very nice sized group.  They were very wonderful to share their food with me.  When I got off work I joined them for  more social time and swimming.
Dan sent this photo of Ava watching him work.  He recently had to start back (after maternity leave) but works from home so is juggling Ava and working his full shift (eight hours at the computer).

Once home I changed into my yard clothes and went out and did various little chores like cleaning bird feeders and filling them, trimming some bushes, mowing a section down back that Joe doesn’t usually mow, and weeding along the side of the house.








Our bunny friend, relaxing over at Brian's house, did not seemed bothered by my coming and going down our side yard.

The mower ran out of gas and then I accidentally broke it trying to adjust the handle.  I’m very thankful that Joe is always bailing me out when I do things like this.

Mama Styx crawled under my legs when I knelt down to pet her, and she proceeded to start playing.



Friday 8/6 - The only two photos for the day were taken at the concert at the Grove (where Mirror Lake Blast is held on Monday's).  

I did chores in and around the house (laundry, bird feeders, watering, dead heading flowers, etc.) and then hit the gym for a few hours. 





I worked from 1:30 - 6:00 getting my closing chores done while a few guests still sat around the pool.  Then I went straight to the Grove for a very fun concert, with lots of dancing.  

I flopped into bed, exhausted, at 10:30 and Joe got home from poker before I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment