Friday, December 3, 2021

Another Chapter

When we say one chapter ends and a new one begins, we often think that this indicates a big change in one's life story.  That's not the case here, exactly.  This week started another chapter in our lives so to speak, because we had friends (Jack and Mary) move into the ranch house to rent it for 5½ weeks.   When Jack and Mary head out for their winter down south (Jan 8th) sister Jean will be moving in to the house.  She is welcome to stay as long as her heart desires, hopefully for years.  But this means our days of freely hanging out at the ranch house are over. 


I am sure there are many more 'chapters' for us, that will be happening out at the ranch in the near and expected distant future.  I also realize, for Jack and Mary, and Jean, the next chapter in their lives is going to be a big change for them, from the previous chapter they were experiencing.  I hope they love how the next chapter goes for each of them.  




In addition, as I look forward to Christmas at  Longboat Key, I realize how different it is going to be without Mom there, and that this will be our last holiday with all my Sidenstick side of the family together because Mom (always in her red jacket when she goes outside) is the one who paid for the vacations, and brought us all together each year.  I am very sad to see this chapter come to a close, but hope we all find and make a way to get together still.


Saturday 11/27 -  It was a cold, crisp morning so I was slow to get going.  But once I did (10:30am) I went to the ranch and spent the day there.  This is what the horses were doing when I arrived.  It is difficult to see Amiga, so here is a close up with more lighting.  

 






Amiga was 'standing guard' while Zorro was relaxing (snoozing) in the sun.  They were both positioned on this side of the shed, where it was out of the wind. 

Patty arrived shortly after I did and helped with a few projects, and cleared her things from the ranch.  As I cleared all our food, drinks, and other things from the ranch house, I realized our freedom to come and go from the house whenever we want is now over.

I ran the dish washer, cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms well, and hauled lots of things to my car.  Tired of house work, I went out to move some logs, and soon noticed Polly who had come to ride.  I decided to join her. 






We tacked up together in the barn and then when heading out, she took Rio down the little path and I went the ATV route to check the creek crossing.  It was a muddy mess and Amiga sank a lot. 


Amiga and I came out of the woods under the power lines and rode across and down where we met Polly and Rio on Hathaway. 


Fairly soon into our ride we saw Anita's trailer, and a bit later we met up with her.  She joined us for a little bit, riding her Rocky Mountain horse Luke. 

It was late in the afternoon, and once the sun dropped in the sky, so did the air temperature.  




Zorro was still running the fence line and 'yelling' for Amiga when we got back to the barn.  I was quick to un-tack Amiga and get she and I both back up to the side pasture.  After feeding both horses, I finished up moving one more log in the yard, clearing out the house, and headed home at 4:45 dark.


Sunday 11/28 - The reading of today's part of this chapter started slow and lazy, with me bundled up in front of the space heater in my office/sun room/cattery at 4:30 am.  I took this (video) of Stevie the morning before, but she was at it again, as usual.  Later in the morning, once the sun was up, three of the four cats were positioned in front of the windows, watching critters beyond.  

This is a photo from last week that Val just posted on her Facebook page, so I decided to include it here.  Zorro greeting Dan and Ava, with Courtney's help. 









This was today's view when pulling up to the ranch house.  Zorro was sunning out in the pasture. 

 

He lifted his head when I walked closer and called his name.  I wanted to be sure he was okay. 








This time Amiga was not standing guard, but up at the hay feeder eating.  

Joe was already at the ranch, down the hill near the lower pond, working on electric fence. 

We had decided to make the gate to the back pasture not hot because there had been issues with the boarded horses being lead through this spot.  Joe buried an electric connecting wire from one post to the other and disconnected the gate wires from the hot wires.   I was up at the house cleaning, and Joe called me down a few times to check his work.  He had to make one correction, but otherwise did a great job.
 


My cleaning included emptying the dishwasher, making the guest bed, and sweeping all the floors.  I also switched out the fall decorations and put a little tree up on the mantel.  I took breaks to check on Joe, watch the horses, and feed Wanda.  

 






I find the horse herd dynamics quite interesting.  I also noticed that Maslo was cribbing and then Zorro started a little bit (video).  Not a good habit to get into. 

Once finished in the house, I locked up and bid 'house keeping' of a second house good bye.  I am happy to be done with that chapter in my life.


It wasn't quite time to feed the horses and I wanted to finish moving logs from the front of the garden shed, so that's what I did.  Here is the finished pile behind the garden shed (beside the back wall).  Below is a before and after photo of the front side of the garden shed.  Moving these logs was a workout!

I fed our two horses and was home by 4pm.  Then I started dinner, scalloped potato casserole using - potatoes from our garden, left over spiral ham, and the remaining cheese Courtney had brought.


Monday 11/29 - Rose has still been hanging around, so I make a point to feed her morning and night.  Late morning after she ate, she laid in the sun just beyond my office window.  I think she kept a watch on me.

 










I was working on laundry, and then once finished here at my computer, Joe helped me move the puzzle table (to make room in front of the big window for the Christmas tree) and I set the table up for Christmas card writing.   


I couldn't get the TV to play Christmas music, so I brought my computer in to do so.  And you guessed it... Monita came in to offer her help.  She is such a sweet, loving cat, but can be so obnoxious!

With Tango's blankets washed and dried, I got him all packed up and Joe left to take him back to Dan and Val's in Murfreesboro.


Right after lunch, I went to the ranch to ride, and check on the electric gate that had been breached.  Somehow, overnight, the top rope had come down and Rio was on the other side of the gate, in the front pasture.  The hook on the gate handle had been un-bent, so that it was mostly straight. 

Now that Jack and Mary have moved into the ranch house, I parked out in the drive, got Amiga (look how cute and fuzzy she is) and took her down to the barn to tack up. 

While down there, I witnessed Rio and Maslo really being crazy, running around, and skirmishing.  I even caught some of it on (video) and cut these photos from it.  So did something like this occur last night I wonder, causing Rio to go through the gate?


While tacking Amiga, Zorro kept 'holler-in' for her, and she occasionally would answer back.  I tried to discourage this vocalization, but not sure how or if it is even possible.  Ugh.

I took Amiga on the Dorchester golf course loop and look what was right in our way.  Five
mounds in a row of something, covered with the big tarps.  You never know what you'll come across riding on the back roads of Fairfield Glade. 

I stopped this (video) so I could have both hands on my reins in case she spooked, but was pleased that Amiga rode right by without any problems.

We were out on the trail for 90 minutes and by the time we got back to the barn, I was quite chilled.

I spoke with Susan and Bonnie about fencing and continued to be stumped by what had happened and proceeded to work (in my mind) on possible solutions.

After ranch chores I was home by 4pm.  Joe went to a poker game on his way back from Nashville, so I had a quiet evening at home.

Tuesday 11/30 - Stevie helping Joe pack for his five day get-away to hike with Ben.  More on that to follow.

I had the day off from the ranch.  Patty did chores and Joe took care of fencing fixes and leaf removal.

I had a good workout at the gym mid morning, ate more leftovers for lunch, and spent the afternoon in town shopping. 


Ben is the son of my oldest sister Cathy, both seen here last week, on the Appalachian Trail near Carver's Gap, Roan Mountain.


On September 10th, World Suicide Prevention Day, Ben started his walk across America on the shores of the Atlantic in Boston, MA.
  This is the route Ben has planned and has been taking.  





He estimates that his long, slow, self-supported hike across the United States clear to the West coast will take anywhere from 9-12 months. 


Ben is walking to support mental health promotion and suicide prevention.  If you want
more information, or to make a contribution, link to his fundraising page by clicking on:



Wednesday 12/1/21 - Before sun up, and while I was sleeping my second 3½ section of the night (I had been up from 12:30-3:00) Joe left for Hot Springs, NC where he was going to meet up with Ben and his two hiking companions and hike six miles of the Appalachian Trail with them. 







It was a cloudy morning (actually most of the day) so seemed cold, but was actually got up into the mid 50's part of the day.  Babe keeping her feet warm in the (no sun today) sun room. 
 
 

I worked around the house all morning doing little jobs including more laundry, emptying the dish washer, and getting Christmas decorations from the attic.   

I got word and photos from Joe that he had successfully connected with Ben and fellow hikers Gabby and Caroline. 





Britney asked Joe to give Ben a hug and kiss from her, so this next photo was sent.  LOL  

 






And here is Joe with the girls.  The shorts are an indication of how warm it was on this first day of December. 
 

I was hoping to start decorating for Christmas, but just couldn't get into it.  Usually I take joy in putting up decorations, but this year it seemed like such a chore.  I am even cutting way back on the amount of decorations, but the job is daunting.  I love having them up, but it is getting them up and taking them down that I am tired of doing.  However, Monita (and the other cats) always think decorations are great fun. 



Babe pestering Maggie as usual.  In addition to my decorating woes, I was actually feeling
depressed for some reason.  Part of it was the difficulties presented by horses and fencing out at the ranch, also the fact that I can't seem to get myself to the gym, along with not being in the mood for Christmas (Mom not being with us this year may be a contributing factor.)

Mama Styx up on the hammock, with her paw over her eyes and her tail curled around the edge, is unbothered by the other cats.

I don't know what I did all morning, probably paced around from decorations, Christmas cards, gym bag, and computer.  Finally, I decided to go to the ranch and maybe get in a quick ride before doing chores early so I could go to the gym in the afternoon. 


Well, as always the case, I got distracted by things at the ranch, never rode but enjoyed chatting with some of the boarders.  I got home later than planed but look at the sunset I enjoyed.  Rose came up on the deck to greet me (and beg for food) while I was taking photos.

By the time I got to the gym, I didn't have time for a full workout, so just did the elliptical and rowing.


Before Joe left, I had edited the Christmas letter he writes each year, added some clip art, and had him print it.  So I hurried from the gym to the Fairfield Glade Center to get copies of the letter made before they closed at 6pm. 

When it is pitch dark at 5pm, I am ready for bed by 8:00, and struggle to stay up until 9pm.  I made it until 8:40 tonight.


Thursday 12/2 - It was a beautiful sunny day and I took advantage of it, as did the cats and dog, finding spots of sunlight to nap in.

Maggie and I got to the ranch by 10am and I started work on planting the three azaleas I had purchased on sale a few weeks earlier.  I was going to put them in a flower bed at the corner of the yard, but when read their leaves are poisonous to horses, decided the spot I had in mind was not good because it was against the pasture fence.  

 





So I chose this spot, by the drive, around these lines holding a power pole up.  Having the plants here would make this 'hazard' more visible (I have come close to it a few times when backing a vehicle from the grassy lane onto the drive) and it would be one less spot to have to trim the grass around.
  

Maggie kept watch as did her new friend Tito (Jack and Mary's dog).  They were fenced into the yard together because Jack and Mary left for Wildwood to ride.  I was going to meet them out on the trail but they needed more time to get to the rondevu spot.  So I started on making a bed for the new azaleas by first removing the sod and transplanting it around the gray water receptacle lid.  

 



When I went to get Amiga, to go ride, I discovered another board down on the fence.  Just 30 minutes earlier it was not broken, when I had seen Amiga fraternizing with Cowboy, (and Rio before that).  She was also in heat again.  Ugh!  





I tacked up quickly and was out the back gate in a short time, heading down the trail towards Stratford Circle where Mary and Jack would be coming out from the Holly Trail.  Taking this (video) of Amiga I didn't even realize she was lame until I started gaiting her and she was 'off.'  Now when I watch the video, I can see that she was 'off' even at a walk.  She must have gotten her front leg in the fence board, hurting it.  Dawg gone it! 
 

Once we met up with Mary and Jack, I told them I needed to cut the ride short and take Amiga back to the ranch, so that's what we did. 

Here is a photo of the cute little ornament cowbell I was thrilled with, but no longer was excited about, because Amiga was lame.  





Mary and Jack took their horses up to the house while I untacked and check Amiga out.  I did not notice any injury, heat, or swelling, so hoped it was not serious and would heal quickly.  I walked Amiga up to her pasture and took these photos of Mary and Jack who had gotten water and were back on their horses to continue their ride.


One good thing I had noticed, was that Zorro did not go as crazy when I took Amiga from their pasture.  He only 'hollered' a few times and did not run around like a banshee.  And as I was walking her back up from the barn, he did not start hollering, which he usually does. 







Polly had come to get Rio to ride so there was a lot of horse commotion as Mary and Jack rode down the driveway.  Man, I hope things (all this horse drama and fence damaging) ends soon and that we all (especially the horses) can settle in to a peaceful life on the ranch.

Maggie and Tito had done well fenced in the yard together while we were gone and continued to keep and eye on me as I worked.  I finished removing grass from around the power cable and taking the sod into the yard and placing it around the gray water receptacle lid.  Here is a before, and then an after photo.   









I watered the sod well along with all the cypress transplants and the grass seed I had put down early November.  I was hoping it was warm enough for the seed to germinate.  I need to seed the rest of the ground around this sod but I will wait till spring.
 

Well, again I had worked past my planned time.  I still had feeding chores so knew there was no way I was going to make it to the gym.  When Mary and Jack arrived back from their ride, I joined them in having a beer and fed horses and Wanda as night set in. 


It was a quiet, non-productive, and short evening at home before I called it a day and hit the hay.

Friday 12/3 - I got one Christmas decoration up before heading to the ranch to meet Patty by 9am.  That is Babe on the bin of decorations waiting to deck the halls. 

I met Patty to first of all fix the broken fence board.  Well, while driving the gator up to the side pasture, we noticed this top board that had popped (been pushed out) from its screws.  Notice where Joe had already mended the middle board.  So we fixed it too.

 







I have been somewhat surprised, disappointed, frustrated, and concerned with how rough the horses have been on our wood fencing.  This has led to sleepless nights, mulling over possible solutions.


Patty and I also got these cool welded horse shoe hooks hung by each of the four stalls.  Polly brought them to let us use, which adds to our barn decor.






Maggie enjoyed the sun while keeping an eye on us.


While we were going to and from the machine shed to get tools or supplies we needed, Susan and Bonnie were having a training session with Cowboy.  








Maggie felt the need to keep an eye on them also, and get some extra lovin'.

Patty's last job was to paint all the chewed wood with used oil, we have a big vat of in the machine shed.  We had heard this would stop horses from chewing on the wood.  She also did all the fence post tops (that weren't chewed) to help protect them from water.










I went up to the yard and continued my project of planting the three azaleas.  Mary and Jack were off on a long bike ride so I put Maggie in the fenced part of the yard with Tito.

Tito was very fixated on watching the drive that his owners had ridden down and out of sight from.  




Eventually he laid down, but he was not relaxed enough to totally sac out like Maggie did. 

This is the 'bed' I made by removing the sod so I could plant the azalea here.  I hauled nice rich soil up from Joe's raised garden down by the machine shed.  All the soil I dug up for the three holes I put around the edge of the sod I had placed around the gray water receptacle lid.  I will wait till spring to seed it.  

 



The azalea are now in nice rich dirt and will hopefully thrive.  I did notice when taking the tags off each of them, that they are three different varieties.  They were all bunched together at Lowe's end of the season clearance rack and I didn't even look closely at the type they were.
 


All three shrubs will grow to the same size, they will just have different colored blooms.  But I think I am going to like the mixture of 'ruffled pink blooms', 'rich purple blooms', and 'white and purple-striped blooms'. 

I watered these well in addition to soaking the three cypress trees and all the grass seed I had planted a few weeks back.  I was hoping the 72° day would cause germination. 


Since we have renters in the house, I took my lunch break at the picnic table down in the barn yard area.  Notice I am in a short sleeve shirt.   

With the remaining time I had, I moved (using the tractor) more big logs behind the garden shed. 






I  fed Wanda and then Amiga and Zorro.  I had checked on Amiga earlier and was glad she did not appear near as sore as the day before.  I still gave her Prevocox to help with the healing. 


I got home in plenty of time to do pet chores before meeting Patty and Shirley at the Grove at 4:45.  Polly joined us a little later. 













We enjoyed an hour of Christmas caroling.  The Twelve Days of Christmas was a particularly fun crowd participation song we did.  Our group had six geese a layin'. 

Shirley, Patty, and I then went to Reds for dinner, but did not stay for karaoke.  

No comments:

Post a Comment