Friday, November 12, 2021

Good Company

“Good company is important, it helps to cultivate good qualities.”  I have no idea who said this.  It is also important to be around people that make you want to be a better person, who make you feel good, make you laugh, and remind you what's important in life.

Also, accomplishing things is not near as enjoyable, or memorable, as doing things with others. 

Too often, completing a project at the ranch has had precedence over doing something fun with friends.  I need to balance work with fun, even though working is fun, or at least enjoyable and rewarding.  Spending time in good company is also extremely valuable.






After a busy weekend working, Joe and I spent time in the good company of friends this week.

Saturday 11/6 - I lingered at home waiting for the temperature to rise from the 30's into the 40's before going to the ranch.  It was 10:00 by the time I got there.  I first wanted to get my 3rd cypress tree planted so started on that while Joe finished up with fencing down in the paddock and mowing in the barnyard area.  Maggie was content to 'sunbath' while we worked.  While digging the hole for the tree, I hit rocks and tree roots which really slowed me down.



Our big project for the day was to improve the gray water drainage system so that the pasture isn't always a mud hole from the fence where the water drains towards the pond down hill; and to keep dogs  let of the 'outlet' spot in the yard where the end of the pipe exudes (actually it mostly just drips or trickles out) gray water.  But first we wanted to finish mowing so Joe could take the mower home while using the trailer to go get gravel.  When Patty arrived she mowed all of the yard so Joe and I could work on our project.
 

We had started this hole four days ago, but it needed to be deeper to put in six levels of bricks (turned on their sides) and wider to fill around the bricks with rock. 

This series of photos, taken throughout the day, shows how we progressed with this project. 

 






I took several 'breaks' during the day to: 1- Help Patty with a little painting.  2- Give neighbors Carole and Allen a tour of the ranch.  3- Meet Jack and Mary out back on the trail.  4- Finish planting my tree.  5- Catch and put Maggie (who caught and killed a catfish) in time out.  6- Feed Wanda and our horses.  Etc.  


Our horses kept their distance while we worked, so we didn't think it necessary to move them to the corral. 









The drain pit (on the yard side of the fence) had very gooey mud until we got down about 18 inches.  Then it was easier to dig dirt.  When the mud sticks to your shovel, each scoop is difficult. 




Joe used the auger (a pain to attach to the back of the tractor, but very handy) to drill seven (two feet deep) holes along the drainage ditch in the pasture. 





Joe filled the holes with big (4-5") rock as he went, en case a curious horse got too close.  But they kept their distance. 

Once all the holes were dug and filled, he then started adding smaller (2") rock into the trench. 
 







Meanwhile I got the first layer of bricks placed and then started driving eight metal rods inside the hole to hold the brick in place.
 


Joe assisted me with this.  Later, three crooked rods would prove to be problematic, and I wished I had insisted on re-doing them. 

 






The trench was basically finished, so we worked together on the brick.  Rather than reach down to squirt the tube pressed 'cement' on the bricks and then place the next brick on top, it was easier to apply the cement on the next brick and then put it in place.  Joe did the squeezing of the tube and I the placement of the brick. 





It went pretty fast except when the tube got blocked.  After two rows, we would stop and fill with rock around the outside of the brick to help hold them up against the metal rods.  You can see in this photo, that by the time we got the sixth row on, the bricks were out of alignment because some of the metal rods had not been driven straight in. 


Joe added some more rocks to the ditch and I put the concrete stepping stone on top and cleaned up all of our tools and trash.  We were nearing the end of sunlight so would finish in the field the following day. 



It was dark by the time I got home, but I gained an hour of time moving the clocks back before going to bed.


Here are some photos of Jack and Mary on Hathaway, the dirt road along the back of our property.  Maggie was excited about meeting them on their horses.  I was wishing I wasn't so busy with ranch work and could join them.  










I had to convince Maggie to go with me rather than with Jack and Mary.  I guess she was tired of being 'project overseer' and preferred the adventure of a walk. 




What two good looking people and beautiful horses.  I wish I'd had more time for them, Carole and Allen, and my boarders when they came to feed and care for their horses.  I also wished I had more time for my horse.  She too is good company.  Hopefully once all the 'big projects' are completed, there will be a lot more time for the pleasures of ranch living and being in good company of family, friends and even all my pets.

Sunday 11/7 - Since daylight came an hour earlier than usual, the air was also warmed quicker, so we were out at the ranch by 8:30.  We immediately hit our first obstacle, we couldn't get into the ranch house.  Not only would my key not unlock the front door, it got stuck in the lock.  We finally gave up and got started on putting a gate in, from the front yard of the house, to the side pasture where Amiga and Zorro are.  Our project overseer happily keeping tabs on us as we hauled the cement, gate, and gate post to our work site (Video).
 
We moved Amiga and Zorro down to the corral since the fence in their pasture would be 'open' for more than a day.  Drilling the post hole was quick and easy, I didn't even get a photo of it. 

I mixed up a batch of concrete which I can do better than whipping up potatoes or a baking recipe.  You can see Joe in the background working on the fence where he had cut it, to put in the gate. 


 






Our pole needed to set up in the cement for 24 hours before attaching the gate or fence to it.  So we left it as is until the next day. 


We had called Patty about needing keys to the back door (which we didn't have) and she gave us a helpful hint about the front door, and we were finally able to get my key out of the front door and unlock it with the key we have hidden. 






Next we finished up our gray water project.  We covered the gravel trench with the dirt we had dug out of it.  I was trying to direct Joe as to where to dump the dirt (because it is impossible to see right in front of the bucket from the seat of the tractor). 


Soon we both decided it be best if I just do it myself.  So Joe went with the trailer of rock to unload what was left in it.

He put the big rocks along this edge of the machine shed, where the ground is wearing away from the foundation a little bit. 













And he used the rest of the middle size stuff to fill in low spots of the gravel along this side of the barn.


This is the finished job of spreading dirt out in the pasture.  I ran over the top of it to pack down the soil.  Hopefully the horses won't sink there anymore and we wont get the tractor or riding lawn mower stuck there. 

 




Here is a better photo of the ground, without the shadows, taken at the end of the day. 

I went down to the machine shed when finished with the tractor and we removed the auger.  It still presents difficulties because it has to be done in a specific order which we struggle to remember.  (I wrote down instructions once home and attached them to the auger the following day, for the next time we use it.)


While in the barnyard I checked on Wanda, who I had fed early in the day, and then left her crate door open.  She was up in the rafters, above the tack room roof, under the barn roof, crying.  When I went up the ladder to console her, she jumped down and ran behind some bales of hay and wood pallets.  I decided I just needed to back off and not press her. 





Karen dropped by while I was helping Joe pull weeds from our two piles of dirt.  We discovered these carrots in Joe's raised bed and she pulled them out.  They weren't very good tasting, so the horses got most of them. 







Once Joe moved the one pile of dirt over to on top of the other pile, he backed the trailer in on top of the concrete pad.  We were making room for the possibility of storing a fourth horse trailer.


Polly came to feed horses, so once Rio and Maslo were off the front pasture, I let Amiga and Zorro out there.  Karen and I went up to the house to show her all the things we have done.  She hasn't been by in a long time (is just five weeks out from hip replacement surgery).  This photo shows Zorro enjoying grass and Amiga down by the electric gate flirting with Maslo. 


It was getting pretty dark by the time I went around to all the buildings to collect trash.  Polly had called me while I was up at the house picking up tools, to say Wanda came over to her when she went up the ladder, and let Polly pet her.  So I decided to give it a try.  Wanda came right over to the ladder, but was cautious.  But then she let me pet her, scratch her chin, and ended up really leaning into me for more lovin.' Yay!


Monday 11/8 - We were back at the ranch about 8am, to get the horses off the front pasture and back into the corral so that Rio and Maslo could go back out on the lush field. 

Joe and I finished up the gate project so he could be on his way to golf and later poker.  We got the fencing attached to the new post and then hung the gate.  This will make caring for our horses so much easier, because it is quicker access to the pasture from the fenced in house yard.



As I picked up our tools and moved other tools and supplies to the pasture for sowing grass seed, Maggie enjoyed playing (video) with her Jolly Ball which I had brought out there. 

Then I went down to check on Wanda and feed her.  She was very standoffish and wouldn't come near me or the fresh canned food.


I decided to go for a ride since it was so beautiful out and I would be at the ranch all day, to meet the golf cart repair guy at 4pm. 

I was in good company with my horse, although she was fixated on getting back to the ranch to be with the boys. 




I tried to keep Amiga at a walk because she is out of shape and 'long in the toe,' but she would transition into a slow gait quite often.  We weren't out very long (about 50 minutes) and didn't go far.  This is a deer stand in the woods behind Terry's. 


Heading for home, Amiga got excited and called to the boys, who started calling back to her (video).  I think it was Zorro, Rio, and Cowboy doing all the 'yelling.'


Cowboy in the round pen was glad to see us.
And Zorro in the corral was calling for his (half) sister. 





Amiga had worked up a sweat because she was so excited, it was over 70°, and she already has a good winter coat coming in.  I wiped her down with a wet cloth and tried brushing her damp coat.

Then I went back up to the house, had a late lunch, and started work in the field, sowing grass seed, seen here covered with straw. 


I made a run down to the barnyard area to walk Amiga and Zorro back up to their pasture.  Then I went back down to clean out the corral, put metal fencing (Joe had cut off for the gate opening) into the recycle pile in the machine shed, and visited Wanda who this time wanted some lovin'.  I also put my horse gear, that had been on the stall gate drying, back in the tack room and locked it up. 

Waiting for Duncan (the golf cart guy) and Patty to arrived (with money to pay Duncan) I put mulch around all three new cypress transplants. 


I was going to work on this gate entrance, but it was getting late. 


Patty arrived and helped me
finish up horse chores. 
This shows the proximity of the two cypress trees to the gate.






We were wondering where Duncan was, and
then I got a call from Joe at 4:45, asking if I got his text that Duncan wasn't coming.  Nope, my phone had been in the house charging. 


Tuesday 11/9 - Our morning was dedicated to our (Flossmoore) FG house.  Maggie was watching for wildlife outside my sunroom window as leaves continued to sail through the air and cover our yard.  Joe worked outside mowing and sucking up leaves while I cleaned house inside. 

I made a grocery run to get food for the night's dinner and restock food items at both the ranch and FG house.  After unloading part of the goods at home, I continued on to the ranch house with the rest of my purchases. 





This equipment on Chestnut Hill slowed me down.  They were returning to the water treatment plant, after taking sludge to Wildwood and spraying it on one of their fields.  They had been making multiple trips.  

Once my car was unloaded, I cleaned house (especially the master bath) in preparation for company. 

My new farrier (Chris) called to see if he could come early, which I was glad to do.  I really like how he handled Amiga.  Patty had come out to hold Zorro, who did well, and then took these photos.



Maggie discovered that hoof trimming's are good stuff, so was waiting to help clean up.  We monitored her intake and threw most of the cut off hoof parts away. 






I had communicated with Chris about Amiga's past lameness issues presenting problems with her standing on one back leg and/or having one held up too high.  He was very careful with her, and didn't get mad at her when she 'fought' or struggled with having her back hooves trimmed. 






Joe came to check things out, after fixing another broken fence board between the side pasture and front pasture.

Jim Kellogg arrived at some point and while Joe took him on a tour of the ranch, Patty and I got dinner started.  And then at 5:30, after dark, Marj Gilmore pulled in. 
For some reason, I didn't take any photos all evening.  Marj took several (including this one) the following morning.  You can see her black truck and white horse trailer parked out in the driveway.   


She had dropped one of her horses off at a trainer's and was in the area to shop for a little land she wanted as an investment and as a destination point to stay at during travels to the southern equestrian riding parks. 

The evening included libations, dinner around the table inside, and some bonfire time.  It was quickly discovered that Marj lives on the El Paso golf course where Jim works.  Small world. 

Jim stayed at a hotel and Marj at the ranch house.

Wednesday 11/10 - It was a beautiful fall morning.  Marj enjoyed the sunrise at the ranch and took most of these photos. 















I was out at the ranch by 8:15 and gave Marj a tour, including taking the gator around the back pasture and out onto the dirt roads to show her where we ride. 

Bonnie was at the barn feeding when we went down there.  Maslo and Rio were waiting for their breakfast.


I love this photo of the ranch house that Marj took.

We got back to the ranch just as the Habitat guys arrived.  They took our garage refrigerator and a few other furnishings.







We then hopped into my car and I gave Marj a tour of the southern half (this side of Peavine) Fairfield Glade.  I love this community and always like 'showing it off.'  We ended at the house, walked Maggie, and had leftovers for lunch. 






We had to scurry to get to the real estate office where we had a meeting with Annette.  She is a dancing lady friend, acquaintance, I had contacted to see if she could show Marj some properties around here.  The meeting could have been shorter if kept on track, but I guess the chit chat was necessary to get to know each other better.  Photo Marj took when we fed the catfish, and below, one she took of Zorro in the side pasture. 


Once done at the real estate office, we continued our driving tour of the north side of Fairfield Glad.  Then I dropped Marj at the ranch.  I also fed Wanda while out there.  She is getting braver.

After some R&R and a chance to re-group, I went back out to the ranch two hours later to picked up Marj.  She treated me to dinner at the Brass Lantern.  We both enjoyed tasty meals and then shared a yummy desert.  (Jim and Joe were off on a three day golf trip.) 



Thursday 11/11 - Happy Veteran's day and thanks to all who sacrificed and served. 

It had gotten very windy overnight and you would never guess our yard had been cleaned of leaves two days earlier.  



See the leaf coverage outside the sunroom window? 







Babe has really become attracted to Maggie lately, and enjoys curling up with her.  I think partly it is the colder house. 

At 8:30 I walked Maggie, closed her in the Mancave, and headed to the ranch to pick up Marj.  With rain coming, we (the boarders and I) had decided to let Cowboy out of quarantine a few days early.  He has never shown any signs of sickness, nor was he exposed to any sick horses before coming to the ranch.

I zipped down to the corral where Susan, Bonnie, and their husbands were watching how Cowboy would get along over the fence with Rio and Maslo.  So far the other two hadn't come over to greet him. 

I didn't have long to visit with the boarders, and soon Marj and I were off to Annette's office. 






Well, the day was spent riding around in Annette's car, looking at properties over an hour from Crossville and almost an hour between each other.  It was an adventure because we kept losing GPS signal.  Here we are parked at one place that ended up being Marj's top choice. 


Marj got a snap shot of Annette and I.  And Annette took this photo after we had been tromping around out in the rain to look at a cute cabin on a very secluded property. 


We were having a good time getting to know each other better and it is always enjoyable to be in good company. 


I love this sign posted on one of the properties. 

I was actually feeling a bit 'toasted' by the time we go back to the real estate office (at 5:00 dark).  Marj and I dropped in at the house so I could walk the dog (in the rain) and feed her and the cats. 

I took Marj back out to the ranch and then came back home for dinner and PJ's.  I could not stay awake past 8:30.


Friday 11/12 - Gypsy Rose is moving in on me (the house).  She was sitting on the front porch bench when I looked out.  She often sits on the railing of the side garage door deck entrance.  This close-up is blurred by the reflection from the window. 













I was actually awake from 1:30 - 4:30, but got up a second time at 6:30. 



My kitties inside were also looking out at Rose.


Look how pretty my red maple is, and I still have Azaleas blooming. 


I met Marj for breakfast at Tony's on Peavine and then Marj hit the road. 



I finished up a load of laundry, cleaned and filled all my bird feeders, and finally put up my fall decorations.  Then Maggie and I headed to the ranch.

Cowboy did very well being introduced to Rio and Maslo the day before.  Where the 'squabbles' are, are up at the fence between my Paso Finos and the boys.  Amiga went back into heat so has been 'flirting' with the boys across the fence, but her ½ brother Zorro keeps trying to get between her and the fence where Rio and Cowboy are on the other side.

 



In fact, I discovered a middle fence board had been popped off the posts into 'our' side of the fence line.  Fixing that went to the top of the to do list. 

 




This is Amiga and Cowboy.  I am not sure where Zorro was at the time.  He was probably following Patty around. 
 
 




After filling in a big hole (which was actually at the top of the to do list) in the pasture that was discovered the day before, I went up to take hay to Amiga and Zorro's feed room and work with Patty on putting the fence board back up. 


The board hadn't been broken, but the screws were stripped out.  So we removed the old bent screws, flipped the board, drilled new holes, and screwed it into place.


Our project supervisor kept a close watch on us.  


Zorro is a nosy, snoopy boy, who likes to also keep a close eye on what we are up to.  Here he is peeking in the feed room at me while I was stacking the hay I had just brought in.  How can you not love this boy?


Since I had the tractor up near the house, and because I had forgotten to wear my boots to the ranch so ditched the plan to ride, I flattened the two piles of dirt over the two stump holes to fill them in.  I hoped to have more warm weather to sow grass seed.



Wanda has been loose in the hay loft (starting Monday) and been exploring most of the area, but also seems unable to figure out how to get down.  She was crying like she was stuck out on this roof, but has been seen out there before and out on the other side also.  I hope to be able to teach her how to go up and down the plank we have beside the ladder.


Even though a lot of leaves have fallen and it isn't as colorful, there is still plenty of beauty in our view. 

Jim and Joe arrived back from their golf outing to check on Patty and I.  We made a plan to go to dinner and soon each of us left the ranch. 

 

Before going, I had to take the tractor back to the machine shed.  I took this photo of Jon, Polly, and Susan (with Maggie supervising) going to get the three geldings.  A bit later Susan took this video of Cowboy, bringing up the rear, following Maslo and Rio to the paddock area.  Notice how pretty the trees look with the (setting) sunlight hitting them.




The four of us enjoying dinner at Casa Grande.  It was very tasty, and nice to dine with good company.









Jim and Joe went to the ranch for the night.  I over ate and was uncomfortable when I laid down to go to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment