Friday, November 5, 2021

Juggling Horses

With a new horse coming to our ranch, and hearing of sick horses at Wildwood, there was a real concern for how to quarantine the newcomer and keep the other six (including neighbor Terry's two) horses safe.  There were also lameness issues in a few of the horses and this just added to the dilemma of where to put horses.  

We can't keep our horses in a protective bubble so some accidents or problems are just going to happen.  We do what we can, but it doesn't help to worry.



The more issues with our horses we can prevent by being careful, the better.  As you know, I am a worrier, so that's what I am going to do.  I can't help myself. 

When Joe and I (along with input from all our boarders) were making our horse juggling plan, using the three pastures, the little corral, and the round pen, Joe and I also formulated a plan for adding two stalls in the lower (larger) run-in shelter.
 

Saturday 10/30 - I did not take any photos all day, but have these cute ones I got off of a video Dan sent on Facebook Messenger.  I thought this (video) of Ava was so cute, especially with Dan's commentary, that I had to share it on my Facebook timeline. 

I was up early and finished and posted last week's Blog.  About that time, concerns regarding sick horses at Wildwood were brought to my attention so I spent a great deal of time (throughout the day) trying to learn the truth of the matter, the severity of the ailment, and the importance of quarantining.  I needed to know what exposure the new horse (Cowboy, who was coming from a different barn than Wildwood) had to other horses and the possibility of him coming with any aliment.  Then I tried to figure out the best way to quarantine Cowboy

I headed to the gym to workout and quickly learned of a Zumba costume party that was starting in 30 minutes.  I barely started my workout before switching gears and going to Zumba.  Two of my favorite former instructors were there leading the class in a few songs each, and I had a blast, and a good cardio workout. 
I cleaned up in the locker room and then headed to Spikes.

I met Joe and Patty at Spikes, in addition to about 20 other Hawkeye fans to watch the Iowa game, which ended up being a disaster.  But, I enjoyed the food and beer and catching up with Patty.  We also bounced some ideas off each other concerning horse juggling at the ranch.

After the game, Joe and I changed into ranch clothes and went out to get some measurements to then formulate a game plan for putting two (semi temporary) stalls in the run-in shed by the barn.  With the quarantined horse in a barn stall, the other two horses can not be stalled in there for two weeks. 

After feeding horses and cat at the ranch and dog and cats at home, Joe and I then went to Shirley's for dinner along with, her brother Rick, and Patty.  The food was delicious and very filling. 

Sunday 10/31 - I kind of overslept, which was a good thing because I needed to catch up on some shut-eye and I had a busy day ahead with several things to do.  It is hard to believe this is the last of October.  I never got my Halloween decorations up at the house, and may just go straight to Christmas when I finally get around to decorating for the season.  I still have July 4th decorations up. 
I just can't juggle it all.

 






I ran to Food City to get some food supplies and something to take to the Halloween Party.  Upon returning home, look who was in the cat bed on the balcony - A NO NO!  Not only do I juggle horses, I also juggle cats and the dog.

Joe and I drove separately to the ranch, leaving Maggie home because it was drizzling.  Rio, who is lame, was in the small coral. 








Joe and I had limited time and got right to work on hanging the first gate of the new stalls we were putting in, in the loafing shed.

We had our difficulties (lost a drill bit and then a nut, plus screwing in the gate hinge was very hard) but we got the gate hung.  It can be opened (first photo) to make one big stall in the back side of the shed or swung closed (second photo) to divide the back half of the loafing shed into two stalls (once the perpendicular wall and gates are added). 

Joe left to play golf.  I fed Wanda and then Amiga and Zorro.  As I was leaving the ranch, I had to check out the new 'neighbors,' a pot belly pig family Terry and Billy rescued.  The three babies are so cute. 









I was late getting to Wildwood, so Mary already had Billy and Chipolte in the barn.  They were both a dirty mess, so I helped with brushing.  I got this selfie with Billy and also a photo of Mary with Chipolte. 


Again, I was not much help with tacking, but soon the horses were saddled and we were ready to go. 


We rode the short trail, going slowly because it was wet and muddy.  We also took the top section of the Holly Trail.  It was still cloudy and damp out, so my hands got cold.  But otherwise I wasn't too bad. 

  





Billy is a great ride, so different than Amiga, who I really need to get out on.  I just don't like taking her away from Zorro because he gets so upset.

These photos were taken under the power lines as we came out from the Holly Trail.



We got back to the barn about 3:00, un-tacked and turned Billy and Chipolte out in their pasture and they both immediately had a good roll. 

I got the 'scuttlebutt' on sick horses at Wildwood.  It was just one new one who had come in and was in quarantine still.  He had a respiratory ailment and was already much better, after getting some antibiotics.  Knowing this relieved much of my angst. 

 


Micki needed my help with her Halloween costume, tying up her corset, so I hurried home from Wildwood, showered, and then went right over to Micki and Rita's.


Returning home, I put on my costume, which I considered rather lame.  I called it Halloween Misfit, because I just used a lot of stuff from different costumes and didn't have a theme. 






Soon we were off to the Halloween dance party.  We met Sherri there and all had great fun with everybody.  We also pigged out on really tasty food and enjoyed drinks as well.  Elaine and Richard make a very potent 'witche's brew.' 


These are our party hosts, Elaine and Richard, who put on another great Halloween party (the 4th annual). 





It was wonderful to dance the night away, well actually, the party ended at 10:30.  But still, four hours of dancing (video) gave me my fix. 

Monday 11/1 -  It was the first of November and there was a chill in the air.  Joe, Maggie, and I got to the ranch early with a big day (of work) ahead of us.  Because I have noticed Maggie shivering on some of the cold rainy days, I bought her this coat at the Time For Paws second hand store.  She wore it until it had warmed up some. 

Our main focus for the morning was to finish 'building' the two stalls in the run-in shed.   

 





I also wanted to clear the yard of the rest of the tree debris.  The tree guys had come back the day before and finished sawing the really big sections into smaller ones so we could load them onto the tractor.    Also, the new horse (Cowboy) was going to arrive around noon. 


As ALWAYS the case, the stall panels and gates did not go up as easily as planned.  Actually, we were using four (the red) 8ft gates to make the sides and gate entrances to the two stalls.  We planned to attach all the gates to the big supporting poles, but at the south end, there was no pole.





In the process of finding a thick board to add to the back side of the wall, to hold the hinge screw, we decided to use a partially rotted board on this fence section, that needed replacing anyway.  It basically crumbled right off the post on one side.  Now a new fence board will need to be put up in it's place. 

Joe cut the board, seen on the ground in the above photo, and using the good half, we attached it to the back of the wall.  Then the hinge screw was put in.  

Here is a photo of what the 'wash rack' looks like.  It used to be a cattle feeding trough. 

 






The next problem we had was driving the t-posts into the ground.  The floor of the shed was like concrete.  Using a pick-axe, we got through the 4" floor and hit much softer ground.  Then the posts could be driven in.

 

We secured the panels (gate sections actually) that would be permanent walls to the center post using chains we nailed (on each end) into the post.  And seen below, we used zip ties to fasten the permanent panels to the t-posts. 









Our last dilemma was how to attach the chains and be able to fasten the gates in position, while either holding each gate open, or each gate closed.


Meanwhile, in the barnyard, there was a lot of action.  Yvonne had ridden for a bit, and then Polly arrived to meet the vet (Nathan) who was coming out to check on her horse (Rio) who was lame. 

We finished what we could in the shed, needing some more hardware.  The two stalls are 12 x 16. 




Seen here,
all three gates can be open so the horses can run through the loafing shed and not get trapped in any corners when nobody wants to use either stall.  Or seen in first photo below, one stall can be used having a double long stall (12 x 32) with the center dividing gate open, or two stalls (second photo) can be used with center dividing gate closed.  This gives us some choices.


Before Nathan left, the trailer with Cowboy arrived.  I had asked Nathan about our concerns of sick horses and vaccine protocols and was getting that information.  I also wanted to help get Cowboy situated in the round pen (seen in this photo).  Joe was asking questions about what to do next.  And I was wanting to inquire and communicate with Yvonne and Polly about what our quarantine procedure would be.  Maggie was barking at everybody coming and going.  And all of this felt like a juggling act I was failing at.
   
Thankfully, Cowboy appeared very healthy and he was quite calm and relaxed.  Later in the afternoon, I drove the tractor past him and then the riding lawn mower and he was not bothered at all.  He seems to be a very easy going horse.


Patty arrived before all the commotion was over and Joe was off to play cards.  Nearby gun shot frightened Maggie and she hopped into Polly's truck as Polly was fixin' to leave.  Maggie did not want to leave the safety of the truck. 

Once things settled down, and most had left, Patty and I got to work clearing brush from the yard up at the house.



I gave her a quick tractor driving lesson and she parked it in the machine shed for me.

 







We raked up lots of debris still left in the yard and Patty hauled several loads down to the burn pile, using the riding lawn mower, pulling the little utility wagon. 


Oh, another distraction was when the internet guys came.  Joe had run up to the house to take care of them.  Later I noticed the tracks their big truck left in the yard.  Oh well.  It should bounce back. 

 





Finally, close to 'quitting time,' I went down and fed Wanda and then Maggie 'helped' me with our horses.  Amiga did not want to go into the shed to eat at first. 


I had fed the dog before coming home, but the cats were hungry when we arrived back.  After their dinner, Babe was being very affectionate towards Maggie.  I think the cats miss Maggie and I being around as much as usual.  They are very affectionate when we get home.
 
To end my busy day, I really enjoyed this (video) Dan sent.  I think he and Ava are two of the silliest and cutest people I know.




Tuesday 11/2 - With cold weather coming, and lots still to do at the ranch, Joe and I both got there by 8:30.  It was cold, gray, and windy... and predicted to get worse by Thursday.  There are six horses in this photo, from left to right - Zorro, Amiga, Sunny, Smurf, Rio, and Maslo.  They are in three different fields.  Sunny and Smurf are Terry's horses and they are at the corner of their pasture where it meets ours (and where our electric fence charger is).  


We figured that burning all the big, awkward to handle chunks of the tree trunk was not good environmental practice, so decided to deposit the rest of them in the woods down back.  Joe worked at that while I mowed up all the leaves from under the maple tree.  Now there is little chance of the horses ingesting too many of them. 





I dumped three bags of the mowed up leaves down back with the tree trunk chunks.  Here is what it looked like in the woods now.  





I had Joe help me move Wanda's cage to the other end of the hay loft, so we can haul up more bales to the end where the door is and she had been.  She went nuts while we were moving the crate, looking for an escape, but retreating back to her box bed.  I finished stacking the hay around it in a much better way.  And then let her be, to calm down and chill out. 

 

Once Joe got all the tree chunks off the lawn, his next job was to start digging around the gray water outlet pipe.  We plan to build a better drainage system so the field doesn't get so muddy, and one that will be easier to maintain, so the end of the pipe won't clog up. 

 




I was raking the yard while he dug.  We had both fires going again, but this one up at the house kept going out when I added tree debris.  All the saw dust and most of the leaves and sticks were just too damp.  So I decided to also haul the rest of what I raked up down to the woods.  It took two more wagon loads before the yard was mostly cleaned up. 




Here is another look at the woods, with the back gate in the upper left corner of the photo.

Joe was cold and tired so left for home at 3:30.  I wanted to finish the yard. 



Here is the last of the tree debris, nearly raked up and soon loaded into the wagon to go down back into the woods.  There are three good sized holes you can kind of see, that the big branch stubs made when the trunk came down.  I am currently formulating a plan for a little arboretum to go in this space.  It looks so bare without the huge oak tree.

Below, Rio and Maslo looking at Cowboy.


After dumping the last load of tree debris in the woods down back, I checked on and fed Wanda.  She was still quite frightened and would not eat.  But she did let me reach in and scratch her chin.  Next I fed Amiga and Zorro and then headed home as dark descended upon the Glade. 

I enjoyed a much needed long, hot shower and Joe and I watched Survivor before bed.


Wednesday 11/3 - I forgot to take a photo of the cleaned up yard the day before.  Well actually, by the time I got finished yesterday, it was almost dark. 

Joe, Maggie, and I were again at the ranch quite early.  This photo was taken mid-day when Maggie decided to nap while supervising me.  She loves lying in the sun, but unfortunately, there just wasn't any.




I want to clean this stump up a little bit, and use it as a seat, with some trees and other plantings near it.

Joe got the burn pile by the barn going again, hoping to complete 'clean up' of these big tree sections.  I finished putting hardware on the gates in the run-in shed. 




Notice, Maggie needed her jacket in the morning because it was chilly.  We both are having troubles adjusting to the colder temperatures. 

As Maggie keeps an eye on us, she follows us back and forth between the house and the barnyard.  She loves racing the gator along the drive.  In this (video) she is not going very fast because I think she feels restricted by her jacket.
 
Joe worked some more at hand digging the gray water retention basin and he did one scoop with the tractor in the pasture to start the drainage ditch which will basically take overflow towards the pond.  In the past, all water draining from this pipe (sinks, showers, dishwasher and washing machine) came out the end and saturated the ground all around and leading down towards the pond.  I put a bucket in the hole with the hopes of catching most of the water to give the ground a chance to dry up some. 


Here I showed Joe the design plan I had for the chamber to catch the water and allow it to drain into the ground. 
The water you see in the bucket was from me hand washing a few dishes.  The bricks will be stacked sideways to allow water to seep out their holes and the concrete square will go on top to keep debris out of the chamber.  So, envision this turned upside down, with more bricks, taller stack, and the concrete lid on top.  Also rock will be used to fill around and under it and in the drainage ditch. 


Joe was off for a nap, then to buy bricks and play poker.  Patty arrived just as I started to plant this Leland Cyprus I had bought.  It is the first for my little arboretum/mini garden.  Patty started installation of five more sets of blinds inside while I was digging outside.  I moved the sod I first dug up, into two of the holes in the yard.  Then I hit tree roots slowing me down some. 

Here are two more views of the new tree, giving you an idea of placement.  These grow fast and can reach 50 feet tall and 15 feet wide.  It will be a nice privacy block.


I didn't get my gloves off to take a photo quick enough, to show Zorro and Amiga side by side licking the mineral and salt block.  Amiga turned to munch grass just as I snapped this shot.

Planting took longer than expected so I had to rush to get to town for my 4:00 Covid booster appointment.  The under armor I was wearing presented a problem, but we got it done.  Then I hit three stores to pick up supplies.  I had seen a horse picture on sale last week and decided to go back to get it.  I also went to Lowe's twice (with Walmart in between) to buy two trees.  I was going to wait and think about them for a few days, but was afraid they may get sold out.  This bug was between the sheets of card describing one tree.  When I opened it up to read, there it was.  Many critters hitch hike from state to state this way.  Its antenna moved but it was probably stunned by the cold air.

Thursday 11/4 - I was up after five hours of sleep, at 2:30.  This is what happens when I go to bed so early.  I had an hour nap before sun up, and then as the morning progressed, I started feeling crummier.  I had a headache, felt sore all over but especially my arm, was chilled and slightly feverish.  






This is the view from my computer desk office window, which is also the cat room.  We are in the thick of fall colors and defoliation of leaves.  I especially like the very red branch in the middle of this second photo.

I had planned a day of rest, and that is what I did for the most part. 
Cats have the right idea for R&R.  This is Monita. 
 


I took a second nap mid morning while Joe was at the ranch.  My phone ringing in the other room woke me from a deep sleep.  I got up to answer it thinking it might me Joe with a question but it was a stupid spam call.  UGHH! 

I was under the weather all day, but did do a load of laundry, unload the dish washer, and start a puzzle, making good progress on it.  Notice the little cat paw going after a piece in the second photo.  Yep, it's Monita.  I didn't even see her until she pulled part of the puzzle side off the table just after I took the photo. 



Maggie had a day of rest also and enjoyed hanging out nearby as I worked the puzzle.  Babe keeps trying to snuggle with the dog.  This is Mama Styx in the leopard chair.

I cooked a creamy soup for dinner, using butternut squash and potatoes from our garden.  I also added hamburger, carrots, onion and cheese.  I must say, it hit the spot.  Then Joe and I watched Survivor and I went to bed early, still not feeling well.


Friday 11/5 - I took this photo of Stevie while at my computer, since I didn't include one of her the day before.  I woke feeling much better, with only arm soreness at the shot site.  I could live, and function with that.  What I was struggling with, was how cold it was.

I did some chores and took my time getting out to the ranch, waiting for the pretty sunshine to warm the air.


When I got to the ranch, first thing I did was feed Wanda, because she had missed a meal the day before since I stayed home.  I don’t like to ask anybody else to climb the ladder to take care of her.

Maggie was waiting patiently, enjoying the sun until I got done up in the hayloft. 



I checked on Joe who was working on replacing some rotten boards behind the run-in shed where the wash rack is.  After Joe had ripped out the top rotten board I discovered a mouse nest in this rotten fence post.










The photo below shows the fence Joe was working on.  He eventually cut all three posts shorter.  The post with the mouse nest (he cut first) is to the far left in this photo.     


He had to put the repair work on hold because his drill battery needed recharging.  So he mowed the barnyard area for awhile. 

I stirred the fire down by the barn, said hello to Cowboy in the round pen, who was not at all bothered by Joe's mowing around it.  I gave Joe a few more instructions, and then headed up to the house because it was already nearing lunchtime and I had work inside to do.


Here’s a photo of the blinds in the living room that Patty had hung two days earlier.  It’s so nice to have them and be able to close them to keep the sun out when it’s setting to the west because it comes in those windows.  It’s also nice after dark to give privacy and make the room feel cozier.  We are nearly ready for December renters and then Jean moving in mid January.  



I added hooks to the back of the guest bathroom door so there’s a place to hang wet bath towels, and I got this new picture hung right above our hall tree bench.  You can see Maggie’s coat, the hood of my jacket, and Zorro's new headstall on his bridal hanging there.

Susan and Bonnie came and I went back down to the barnyard to get the tractor and talk with them.  I delivered them another bale of hay for Cowboy.  And then Polly arrived and I chatted with her too.  Eventually I got back up to the house to work on planting the two new trees (Carolina Sapphire Cypress) I had bought.


Well, not only did several distractions interrupt me and slow me down on the planting process, so did indecision.  I ended up researching how close trees can be planted to your septic system and in the process discovered that the cypress are the worst to have too close to it.  So I decided to move the Leyland Cypress to this spot, right in front of the little roof attached to the wall, to kind of block the view of it and the neighbors loafing shed and even further back, a house.
Then before it got too dark to work any longer, I put one new Carolina Sapphire Cypress (which won't grow as large as the Leyland Cypress so can be closer to the septic system) in the hole where the Leyland Cypress had been.  The second new cypress will go about where I have it sitting in its pot in this photo.  I hope in twenty years they don't cause problems with the septic.

Another interruption - I spoke with Chris (Rio and Cowboy's farrier) and really want to switch to him.  I am just not sure how to 'fire' KP.

No comments:

Post a Comment