Thursday, February 3, 2022

Prenuptial Preparations

 Now that Jean is moved in and we have all fairly well settled into a routine, we have all turned our focus on Dan and Val's wedding.  Most of mine and Joe's family were planning to attend, so arrangements for accommodations here, at Jean's, Patty's, and Courtney's, before, during, and after the wedding had been made.  Preparations for guests was in progress, although plans continued to be altered as people changed their minds and a mid-west snow storm threatened. 


I felt plenty busy even though I am only the groom's mom.  I couldn't imagine what Yaneth (Valencia's mom) was going through.  I hoped to be more help to her once in Nashville.   

I continued to pray for good weather, safe travels, and NO COVID (because all were big factors) for all attending the wedding.


Saturday 1/29 - I woke at 2am, unable to get back to sleep because my mind was going through lists of things to do, to pack, and I was pondering other things.

I computerized till sun up, finishing and e-mailing last week's blog, catching up on Facebook and e-mails, and playing games.

Finally at 7am, I was tired enough to think I could get some more sleep.  I snuggled in by the fire to read and then nap; until the sounds of a cat puking and Joe hollering about it, woke me up. 

I organized and got some things ready to go to Nashville and then had a big, third breakfast at 10:00.  This later food consumption caused me to have to wait till almost noon before going to the gym.  On my way, I stepped in at Carole's next door to pick up an apple crumb pastry she had made for Jean.

By the time I got done at the gym (2:30), it was cooling off (the high was 25° so it was actually already cool, but getting colder) and the snow that had melted on the roads from the direct sun light was turning to ice in the shady spots.  I decided not to chance Chestnut Hill Road and called Jean to see if she would do chores for me.  Of course she would!  She is such a blessing to have out at the ranch.

Jean took this (video) at feeding time and I got these two photos from it.  Zorro never fails to amuse us.  I came straight home, got back in my PJs and had a quiet, relaxing evening.  I watched a movie with Joe before an early bedtime.

Sunday 1/30 - In addition to my usual morning routine, I continued to gather, prepare, and pack things to go to Nashville.

The cats (Monita and Styx) thought they needed to supervise the thread while I mended Joe's tie.  





Stevie was inspecting the boxes of things I was taking to Courtney and Britney.  And Babe had run off with one of my hair clips I had on the bathroom counter to go in my cosmetic bag.  So far, the feline did not suspected I would be abandoning them for five days because my suitcase had not come out of storage yet.  


On my way to the ranch, I swung by Shirley's to get a fancy hair clip she was lending me for the wedding.  She ended up loaning me a pair of earrings also.

With a load of stuff (Restore had picked up) gone from the garage, Jean helped be re-organize the piles of things remaining out there. 
Then we did some chores together.  Delivering hay is a weekly job.   




I also collected trash and recycle, my usual Sunday chore.  Patty arrived with Karen to show her the feeding process and go over her chore list since she was covering for us on Friday, when we would all be in Nashville for the wedding.

After dinner I read an e-mail from Carol that she might not make it to the wedding because of the impending snow storm forecasted.  Not only would travel be dangerous, she would need to be home for her sheep in the predicted conditions.

Monday 1/31 - I was hoping with the end of January, comes the end of winter, but know realistically, we still have a month to go.  I am so over it already.  I was curious as to when spring is expected on the Cumberland Plateau and read a bunch of great stats about our climate on this site, (Best Places to Live).  
This temperature chart is for Crossville TN.




For those of you who are interested, The Cumberland Plateau is the southern part of the Appalachian Plateau in the Appalachian Mountains.  It cuts across Tennessee roughly midway between Knoxville and Nashville.  Rising over 1000 feet above the region around it, the Cumberland Plateau is a large, flat-topped tableland
characterized by rugged terrain, a moderate climate, and abundant rainfall (Google).


I worked on laundry, cleaning, and packing and then  made my routine trip to the gym.  Exercise has been an ongoing part of my health routine, but I have upped it as a prenuptial preparation, so I can get into my tight fitting dress for the wedding. 

Home for lunch I also enjoyed my 'flock' sunning in the living room (video).  Then I scooted off to a Dr. appointment followed by a stop at Food City.


I was very disheartened at my doctor visit.  It was to go over my recent bone scan, which was not the good news I was hoping for and actually expected.  My bones have further declined into a worse osteoporotic state.  The only good news is that my bones are not declining as fast as they had been, but my back is at a -2.6 T-score and right hip at -2.5.  So inspite of all my hard exercise and diet changes, the doctor has put me on Fosamax.   


Jean posted a video on Facebook of Parmesan out on his first walk in ‘his’ new yard!  He got to sort of met the horses too!  I took this screen shot from the video.  Silly cat and horses. 

Poker Joe was gone and I spent a fair amount of time after dinner trying on some clothes to come up with an outfit for the rehearsal and dinner, and one for Saturday night with the hopes of going Honky Tonkin'. 

The suitcase came down from the closet shelf and was mostly packed while various cats tried investigating.  I also loaded several things I would need (and for Britney and Courtney) in the back of my car. 

Tuesday 2/1 - I was glad to be done with January.  I got news from Jean (and this photo of Amiga) that Jean was a little under the weather.  She took a home Covid test that came back negative, but still cancelled coming to dinner, not knowing what she had. 

After a morning of frantically cleaning house, I ran to the pharmacy to pick up my new prescription and the Iowan's had arrived by the time I got home.  They had stayed the night at Courtney's, who had picked them up at the airport at nearly midnight.  

Patty joined Mary, Tracy, and Teresa here at our house.  We had a lay-back, easy going afternoon, filled with lots of conversation and laughter.  





Tracy spotted deer in the back yard, so I ran out to feed the herd.  Eventually a few made their way into the front yard, which Babe noticed while she was bird watching. 

Mary and I worked at the jigsaw puzzle much of the afternoon, and had gotten this far by sundown and dinner time. 


I am not sure why I neglected to take photos of everybody, but Patty got this one of Joe.  He was giving us crap for all the cat photos many of us girls had on our phones.  So Patty was like, there, now I have a non cat photo.  





Monita had been bugging us while we ate, but finally grew weary and fell asleep on this big bin that is temporarily stored in our dinning room. 

Mary went home with Patty, we got news that Britney had made it safely to the states, and was at Courtney's, and not too much longer the rest of us went to bed.


Wednesday 2/2 - I did not sleep well, worrying about everyone making it to the wedding (with snow storm Landon, & the Covid pandemic causing problems).  And with rain predicted before sun-up I was worried about the round bales (that had been delivered Tuesday) and the stall shavings in the trailer (that Joe had pulled out of the machine shed into the drying sun, but left outside overnight) getting  wet.  


Jean posted this photo of the morning sunrise and reported felling a little better.  Joe went to the ranch at 6am (before the rain actually started) and got the two round bales (seen above) and the stall shavings into the machine shed.  Then he nailed down the loafing shed roof that had been flapping all night.


Having been up since 2am, I was ready to roll earlier than usual.  I went to the gym at 7am, and had a great workout.  Maybe I should make going early to the gym a new practice.  I even had time to do additional aerobic work.  I showered, got home to do last minute loading, packed an early lunch for the road, and headed to Nashville.

Fighting sleep the last 20 minutes of my trip, I took a nap in front of the fire as soon as I arrived at Courtney's.


Will took this photo of us girls as we were heading out to Maggiano's Little Italy for the rehearsal. 


Thankfully all of Val's family had made it to Nashville.  Most of them flew, but the carload that drove had a white knuckle drive for the start of their trip and it took them four hours longer then usual to get here. 





Even though Val will be the star of the show, Ava got much of the attention.  This baby is just so stinkin' cute.  


Britney and Arielle chatting with Ava.

Yaneth dancing with Ava after our exit practice. 




The rehearsal went well, with us practicing the entrance three times and the exit once.  I love the music Val and Yaneth have selected.  The ceremony will be a small, short, intimate one, at one end of the room.  And then the celebration will begin.  






From the rehearsal, we all jumped into our various cars and drove to Smyrna, where we had fine dinning at Hickory Falls Restaurant. 

Courtney, Will and Britney joined us at the adult table.  And below is the 'kids' table, seen from both ends.




Courtney was doing better at taking photos than I was, even though they were selfies.

Ava held up like a champ.
 






Ava never cried once, except during her diaper changes.  She doesn't like public restrooms/changing tables, and I don't blame her. 

Britney and I went to bed shortly after getting home from the r
estaurant



Thursday 2/3 - It rained ALL DAY LONG!,  but at least we weren't getting the snow they were getting north of us that was also moving east.   

Courtney's cats were bothering her for food an hour before the self feeder was to dispense their lunch.








It was definitely a lazy day of snacking and computerizing.  There was plenty of chatting and later, Courtney did our nails.  






Britney and I went for the 15 minutes basic nail job.  Courtney had spent four hours on hers.  They are definitely a work of art.








We got news and photos from the ranch that it had been raining all day.  At least Amiga and Zorro had enough sense to get in their shelter, out of the rain. 







Joe arrived with Tango, who settled in right away.  The Sidensticks (Dave, Patti, and Nicole) had left Cincinnati at 3:30am to get here ahead of the storm, so Joe, Britney and I headed to the hotel to visit with them.  Courtney was off to a hair appointment and Will stayed with Tango.


Our hotel rooms were quite nice, so we gathered at ours to visit.  Eventually we headed to the restaurant across the street.  






Back at the ranch, Mary, Tracy, and Teresa joined Jean for dinner.  They let the Colonel do the cooking.




Courtney and Daniel joined us at the restaurant in Nashville, so we were able to get a family photo after chowing down on barbecue. 



Patti was making faces to get us to smile, and ended up cracking us all up.


Courtney headed back to her house with Britney, and the rest of us went to the hotel to get a good night of sleep in preparation for the big nuptials day to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment