Friday, May 12, 2023

Alrighty Then

I do not care for Ace Ventura or Jim Carrey, and didn't realize the saying 'alrighty then' (which I do use) came from this film.  I have found myself saying it when accepting something I am not really thrilled about or happy with.  Or when acknowledging a need or problem that must be solved, like the puzzle piece doesn't fit, I discover cat throw-up, or a fix it job didn't quite fix it.  This week, it was a phrase used maybe too often.

Saturday 5/6 - Joe had wanted to put the four foot gate in this morning, so I agreed to skip my gym workout and start work at the ranch at 9am.  Well, as often happens, Joe left for the ranch early, so I had to rush to get out there to be sure he was installing the gate where I wanted it.  Not even a ¼ mile from home I came upon this, at the corner of Snead and Lakeview.  I was stopped by the truck you see, backing to where the policeman was directing him.  Alrighty then... I took a different, longer route to the ranch. 



When I finally got down to the barnyard, Joe was hard at work, removing boards from the fence, in the wrong place.  However, I had wanted to redo this section anyway because it didn't match all our other fencing, and the one fence post he is standing by, is quite rotten.  Then, come to find out Joe was sick, too sick (weak, feverish, and nauseous) to work anymore.



Alrighty then... we got the old front gate from the shop, to use as temporary fencing.  And this is how we left it.

Since we hadn't gotten the predicted rain, I decided I would water and also plant a few more flowers.  But first I got Patty's help before she left. 
 



I had bought a little towel rack at the thrift store for a few dollars and wanted to use it in place of the makeshift one we have been using.  Well, it didn't go near as quick and easy as planned. 





We couldn't get the front part screwed on to the back bracket we had screwed into the wall, because our screwdriver wouldn't fit under the shelf, and then the electrical conduit was interfering.  Alrighty then... we ended up moving it (twice). 


I planted more marigolds in the planter by the barn, because the ones I planted a few weeks ago froze and died.  Then I put a Penstemon in the corner of this bed and a new phlox (the little, less flowery one) at the edge, because weed killer had done the other one in last year.  I even wonder if weed killer along the front edge of this bed, sprayed this year, turned some of the flowers the light color.  I have had a word with Joe about this, several times... do not spray near my flowers, especially if it is windy!


The weather forecast had been wrong AGAIN!  Rain has been predicted for several days, and we have not had any, at least not more than a few drops and nothing measurable in my rain gauge.  There was 100% chance predicted for Friday, even calling for 1½ inches, and it only sprinkled for maybe five minutes.  Alrighty then, I watered everything that had been planted recently, including Joe's vegetables. 




The new grass is doing well because I have been careful to keep it watered.  Where it is less green is where the hay over it is a little thick, but blades of grass are sticking through. 

I got home for a late lunch in the sun on the deck, followed by some reading and a nap. 

I was back out at the ranch by 3:30 to do chores.  After mucking and feeding horses, I rounded up the chickens into the coop.  Gloria was wondering, why so early.  I had places to go. 








Home to freshen up and change, I then headed to the library building with snack and drink.  But, the band had been moved.  Alrighty then... I drove over to The Grove to listen and hopefully dance.  Notice, they are putting in restrooms next to the stage.


I did get in one dance before the break, but because I didn't have a chair or jacket, I headed home at 7:30. 

So after Joe had gotten home from the ranch this morning, he napped, went and played golf, and then bought a truck ...alrighty then.  However, where are Tango or I going to sit, because I do not do well in the front seat for very long.  Granted, this is bigger and better for pulling a heavy trailer, however...



...this is not what I had been expecting.  Joe had test driven this Hyundai Santa Cruz, which I liked because of its larger cab, smaller bed, better gas millage, and sporty look.  His truck - his choice. 


Sunday 5/7 - About the time I left for church, Joe was off, in his new shiny red truck, to go to Cherokee.  He had a four day getaway of golf and poker with a few friends.

I had only gotten six hours of sleep the night before, (woke twice ruminating about the new truck) so sat out on the deck to read and take a nap when I got home from church.  I was nearing the end of my Stuart Woods novel and didn't want to put it down.  But...

...it was time to go do chores at the ranch.  Alrighty then, off I went while it was thundering and very windy.  A storm was blowing in.  The first photo shows the stormy skies and how hard the wind sock was being blown.  But, we never got rain while I was out there working.  It did rain lightly on my way home.

Maggie was a trembling mess, but pulled herself together to eat.  By the time we did our after dinner walk, the rain was finished.  Rose joined us for part of our second loop around the Lutheran church. 
 

Monday 5/8 -  We had thunderstorms overnight and there was an early morning fog driving to the ranch at 7am.  Mostly it was just steam lifting from the lakes and creeks.  The view out the front door shows how it’s rising up from the valley which is where the warmer water is.  It rained all morning, perfect for the grass seed, fertilized pastures, and new plantings. 







I threw hay to the horses and could tell that they spent quite a bit of time here in the shed last night.  I let the chickens out of the coop and sat in the house reading (finished my book) waiting for the horses to eat their hay and the rain to stop. 
 
The rain had let up but was still coming down lightly when I went back out just before 8:30 to open the gate to the front pasture.  But today, our three amigos, or the three musketeers, were actually the three stooges or the three blind mice.  They did not figure out the gate was open until I went up to that corner to muck, and I called them over.





Thankfully they walked very slowly on the wet, slippery mud.  And then as often happens, there was a traffic jam at the gate.  They stop dead in their tracks and start chowing down as soon as they hit the green grass.  I had to urge Zorro and Amiga to move into the pasture so Cowboy could get through the gate. 

I had time for a third cup of tea when I got home, changed out of my wet clothes, and had a third, big, late protein breakfast.  I was at the Medical Center for 11:00 elbow therapy, and then went right next door to the gym.  Over two hours later I was headed home sweet and clean and relatively spent.







I grabbed a snack and went out on the porch swing to rest and read.  Of course, all my fur babies had to be nearby.  I started a new Robert Crais paperback novel and then took a nap. 

When Patty got the horses back in off the rich green pasture, she took this photo and reported we had visitors from up north, Canada Geese.

As I was waking from my nap, Karen reported that all was well at feeding time and she kept the front barn doors closed because of more storms predicted for overnight.

After feeding time for me and my fur babies, Maggie and I took a nice long walk.  I continued with my new book until lights out. 
 

Tuesday 5/9 - Storms woke me in the night again, as they had the night before.  Alrighty then... but I was able to get right back to sleep as I have been doing for over a week now.  Is this the new me, sleeping through the night and getting 7 to 8 hours? 
I had to cover for Joe on morning and noon chores, so with my second cup of tea in hand, headed to the ranch at 7am.  In this photo, the barn is seen with the doors shut.  It was forecasted to be a rainy morning, so I had planned (vowed to myself actually) to get the tack room finished, TODAY! 


I threw hay to the horses, went up to let the chickens out, and came back to the barn to work on the tack room.  I needed to muck the paddock, and because it wasn't raining yet (actually it never did all day) I went out to do that first.  By the time I was finishing up, it was time to open the gate for the horses. 


I rattled the gate chain to get the horses' attention, and they started heading my way.  Letting them out in the morning is a new routine they are finally getting used to.  After taking this (video), I got Amiga and Zorro to move out of the opening so Cowboy could get out and then took this photo of them happily grazing. 




Wanda loves hanging out while we muck, feed, putts around in the tack room, etc.  After I had dumped manure on the backside of the dam, she decided to slip off into the woods from there, to do some hunting. 





As is often the case, I got distracted while out in the paddock.  Besides, the sun came out and it was turning into a beautiful day.  I had started picking up some loose rock that has been exposed from erosion (our paddock has been over-grazed and has way too much dirt and not enough ground cover).  Well I found other debris that was also exposed. 


Here is a piece of plastic, glass, and broken mirror.  I put the rock in the spill-way and threw away all the rubble.  Then I made myself get to work in the tack room. 
It wasn't long and my stomach was growling.  So I took a 10:30 early lunch break.     








While up at the house, I decided to gather up some snacks for the next time I was hungry.  I stowed them here in the tack room.  It is going to serve as a little kitchen once Jack and Mary are in the ranch house. 


While eating up at the house, I realized the horses were no longer on the front pasture.  I found them in their loafing shed by the barn.  I guess they were too hot and full enough.  They were napping happily. 








I had put stall lime down in the wet (pissy) places so shut the horses out of the back half of the shed to keep them off the lime.  They made do in half the space.



More work in the tack room and I was then distracted by the need to get more hay for the horses.  I went up to the loft and threw down the last three bales from a pile that was to the left of Wanda's crate. 








I took all of the boards that had been used under the hay and to keep the tarp down, and threw them down into Cowboy's stall.  Why is it that I always make a big mess when cleaning up things?

I raked all the loose hay to the edge where we keep the hay below, and pushed it over into the big wheel barrow.  It netted more than one large load. 









Part of the process in the tack room included sorting through all our tack box/storage bins.  This was a clear case of the mess getting worse before it got better. 


I was keeping an eye on the horses because I needed to time their grazing amount.  They could still be out on pasture another 1½ hours.  When I peeked a little after noon, they were at the pond getting a drink. 










Amiga and Cowboy decided to splash to cool off, so I took this cute (video).  Once done, all three horses headed out to pasture. 


I brought the horses in when it was time, and a little later Patty came to do the night feeding and chores.  I kept whittling away at it in the tack room; cleaning, sorting, and organizing everything.  Before I knew it, after Patty left, I was hungry for dinner and so was Maggie.  I fed Maggie up at the house, popped microwave popcorn and grabbed a beer to go with my 'dinner,'  which I ate down at the barn. 







I sat and watched the horses while Maggie watched me eat.  I decided to take a selfie to show my view of the horses, but above was the best I could do.  So I took this second photo. 


In my final push to get everything stowed away, I made a bin of all the extras.  Look at all the shampoo and conditioner products we have.  That's enough to wash the whole cavalry.  I put three of them out in the wash rack and stored the rest. 





Another item we had plenty of was oils, mostly baby oil.  So again, several of these bottles went into storage. 






I was finally done about 7:45pm.  Maggie was waiting patiently to go home and go to bed.  I was ready too.






I didn't really get rid of anything, as you can see.  There is still a LOT of stuff, s
o the room isn't emptier.  But everything's been washed, cleaned, sorted, and organized.  Hopefully this will make it easier to find. 



While I was finishing up and fixin' to leave, Wanda came in to see why there was someone here so late.  She also mooched more cat food off of me.  Notice how dark her tail is finally getting.

Home at a little after 8pm, I hustled to get my evening household chores done and was in bed at 9:30.  Phew.
 


Wednesday 5/10 - Seeing Wanda's tail finally getting some hair, I decided to look back at old photos for a comparison:

Five days after surgery, it was red, sore, and the stitches were seeping. 


Five weeks after surgery the stitches had mostly dissolved but there was very little new hair growth. 

 









Yesterday, just a few days past the two month post-op date, she is finally growing some hair, but more on the underside than on the top. 


I computerized, with plenty of interruptions until lunch time.  I had planned a trip to the gym mid morning, but time got away from me.  Alrighty then... I decided to skip it today. 


It was so pretty out and my yard was in desperate need of TLC, so after lunch, I went out to plant flowers, rake leaves, and do some weeding.




I had gotten these two pots planted, and then Karen arrived to help me with leaf removal. 


We both started raking leaves out of three of the beds in the side and back yard.  


Our project supervisor kept an eye on us, and truth be known, napped some of the time. 



Karen then used her super power leaf blower, (former snow blower) and corralled the leaves into piles.  I raked them into the sheet and hauled them across the creek. 

After close to two hours, we got to a good stopping point, and called it quits. 


We had a cold drink and chips out on the porch and then Karen headed home and I did some pet and domestic chores. 






Here at my desk after dinner, I watched these ducks come check out our work. 





And the deer were next to drop by. 

Joe arrived home from his four day get-away just as I was settling in to bed to read before lights out. 

Thursday 5/11 - I got in a quick workout at the gym while Joe got an early start at the ranch, spot spraying weeds in our paddock and doing a few other things I had on a list for him.  Then once I arrived, we started back in on the gate installation and fence re-build.  Maggie kept a close watch on us. 





To get this big, rotten fence post out, we ended up sawing it off at the ground, and come to find out, the 4x4 fence post that was attached to it, was not buried in the ground, but sitting on concrete.  Alrighty then, now what could we do to secure it? 


We ended up moving the 4x4 post to the edge of the concrete so we could drive T-posts into the ground (on each side of it) to attach to the post.  Also, once we got all the fence rails up, that helped support and secure it in place.

Notice along the top rails where Maslo chewed the boards.  I am not happy about all the top wood rails of fencing in our paddock looking like this or worse. 

Patty had showed up to mow, but it started raining lightly, so she helped us. 
Joe dug the hole and we got this 4x4 post cemented into the ground (photo taken later, when the sun came out).






The rain started coming down quite hard, so we had to call it quits. 
We tied the old front gate back into place, to keep the horses from pushing on the new fencing until we could finish it later.  Joe headed home and soon the sun came back out.  

The horses had been closed out of the paddock before Joe had sprayed and while we had the fencing down.  So, to get the horses off the front pasture, we had put them into the corral.  But there was still plenty of grass in there.  After another hour of them grazing in the corral, I decided to put Amiga in her stall.  Not long after that, we decided it would be better for the boys to be back in the paddock, because Grazon (the weed killer) is a product that livestock can be put on right after it is applied. 
So rather than Zorro and Cowboy having access to any more grass, Patty helped me move them back into the paddock (it had been four hours since Joe sprayed, and it had also rained).

Susan returned and while we waited for the chiropractor, she put labels on all my bins for me (photo shows a small sample).  It feels so good to have everything organized and now know where it all is.  Patty, Susan and I groomed and did individual care on each of our horses. 

The chiropractor was late so I texted her and then read through my old text messages and discovered she had switched the date from the 11th to the 12th.  Alrighty then, tomorrow was another day.  I felt bad for inconveniencing Patty and Susan.  Ugh
 
Patty decided to finish the mowing she had come to do and Susan did her scheduled evening chores.  I headed for home while Amiga was happily eating her dinner. 










I made myself a nice big tossed salad for dinner, and then consumed beer and popcorn while watching Survivor with Joe. 
 

Friday 5/12 - Well shoot, I woke at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep.  I did get five hours, but this is the first night in the last ten, that I didn't get between 7 and 8 hours of shut eye.

I did the elliptical for an hour before my 9am elbow therapy.  Good news, Elisha my therapist has moved me up to light exercise, with one pound weights.  It is a week sooner than 'protocol' but he is on vacation all next week and knows I am getting antsy.

I had a good luncheon at an authentic Italian pizza place, with saddle sisters Patty, Shirley, Karen, and Jan.  I left home at 10:30 and returned at 1:30.  I forgot to take any photos. 


Then I went to the ranch to get the horses in off the front pasture.  I took that first photo of the day and these (videos). 






I was so tired, and had time to kill before Katy the chiropractor was to arrive, so took a nap up at the ranch house. 


I was woken by Patty when she arrived to do chores.  I had to have a cup of tea to wake up and clear my head. 

Patty had mucked and was feeding our three horses when I got down to the barn. 

Katy arrive a little after 4pm and worked on Amiga first.  Patty listened and took photos for me. 





I just love how Katy explains what she is doing and tells what she is finding as she works.  Amiga needed a lot of adjusting.  Katy also gave me some stretching exercises to do with Amiga.  The good news, is that Amiga's stifle is not injured, but Katy and her husband were sure Amiga was still lame from the abscess on her front left leg and because she was favoring it, it was throwing her off on the back right.  Alrighty then.



So, while Katy was working on Cowboy, I soaked Amiga's front foot in Epsom salt and texted my farrier.  Chris could come out in 60 to 90 minutes.  So I hurried home to feed Maggie and the cats and then hurried back to the ranch.

Chris pulled her shoes, trimmed her up, and found a big abscess (the dark color at her toe in this photo) on her left foot, and a little one on her right foot.  Well SHOOT!






So I soaked Amiga's left foot again and put on a poultice wrap.  Then I soaked her right foot.  I am so glad that Amiga is such a good patient.  She stands so well for all the things getting done to her.  I decided to leave the right foot open and see how it goes.

I got home after 7pm, had a later dinner of leftover pizza, and pretty much went right to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment