Friday, May 19, 2023

Wild And Free

I want and need to be wild and free!
However, I have been feeling much too restrained (for way too long) by the restrictions because of my impaired elbows.  I am ready to bust loose and do the things I normally could do.  But I have come a long way and have already put in a lot of time and effort to getting my elbows (actually the tendon attachments at my elbows) better, that I don't want to mess up the progress I have made.

It's as if I am entrapped and confined by my restrictions, and I am feeling claustrophobic.  I am ready to cast caution to the wind and go wild.

I have a painting above our fireplace at the ranch that has this same quote as pictured here.  To me, nothing emanates freedom (and our wild side) more than a horse running wild and free through a field or along a coastal beach. 



I find that riding a horse at a canter or gallop through an open field, unleashes my wild side and
gives me a great feeling of freedom. 

Music and dancing also does this for me. 
I love the song (Let's Get Loud) by Jennifer Lopez 
"Life is meant to be big fun."
"Let the music make you free."

Saturday 5/13 - Courtney came for a visit, but didn't arrive until 12:30, so I did some house cleaning, after extended computer time, before she got here.

We had big salads for lunch and then went to the ranch to groom our horses and then do chores.


A beautiful young lady with her sweet and silly horse.








I removed Amiga's hoof bandage because she had warn it off on the underside of her toe, right where the abscess is.  There wasn't time do soak it and re-wrap it though. 


We freshened up and changed clothes at the ranch house and then headed to Hebbertsburg.  Patty and Joe arrived shortly after us and we all partook in the dinners that were served. 

The music soon began, and we did a little bit of dancing. 



However, I was disappointed that it was primarily slow music.  I wanted to bogie, get loud and wild, let the music set me free. 


We did the cake walk during the first break and
the Sweet Tea cloggers entertained us. 


We left before the second break because the music just wasn't that good. 
 







Once home Courtney, Joe and I settled in front of the TV and watched the Fred Astaire movie 'Royal Wedding' where he does his famous dance on the walls and ceiling.  This (video) shows how it was done.


Sunday 5/14 - Happy Mother's Day.  Not only am I blessed with a loving husband and three fantastic children, I have a wonderful granddaughter. 



 

 

 

I am so thankful we got this four generation photo taken before my mom departed from this world.  Mama did so much for all us kids and all of her grandchildren. 




Joe gave me a little house plant for Mother's Day but also agreed to help with the new four foot gate project, in hopes to finish it off. 





Our first goal was to get the downspout drainage re-configured.  Instead of the pipe (coming from the gutter of the shed roof) laying on top of the wash rack roof, which sends water everywhere, we brought it around and under.  We had to notch the beam to the far left in this photo. 


We connected the white downspout to a new brown one which we fastened to the pole and then ran along the fence line to the end of the concrete.  We had to cut and re-cut the pipe a few times and also ran out of fasteners. 


We also worked on trenching for the ground pipe to route the water away from the front of the gate.




Our project supervisor kept an eye on things as we worked. 
 




I added another bag of concrete to the hole around the fence post and moved the old rusty stock tank back to catch water and hold the pipe in place for the time being. 






There was still more to do with the trenching, but...


 



...our project supervisor was warning us that a storm was approaching and we needed to seek shelter. 








Joe and Maggie ran for cover, taking the tractor and most tools with them. 





I was still cleaning up when the rain hit, so I hung out under the wash rack to watch and see how the drainage system did.  One problem, the corner pipe at the top was backwards. 
The higher pipe needs to fit inside the next piece (not outside of it), otherwise the water will run out at the seam, which it did. 



I had evening chores and needed to do hoof care with Amiga, so had planned to stay at the ranch all day because I am tired of making trips back and forth from our house.  So I got my book, a cup of tea, and enjoyed listening to the rain and looking out at the view.  I even took a nap. 


The sun came out, and so did the chickens.  Gloria was climbing around in the fallen tree.  Silly girl. 





Patty arrived to groom Zorro and I showed her the stretching exercises the chiropractor had given me for Amiga.  Then I started in on hoof care.  Wanda was waiting patiently for her dinner. 




 

I tried a selfie for Mother's day, but it didn't really work.  Then Patty took a photo for me. 

 


I am so thankful for how calm and patient Amiga is while soaking  This makes a tough job so much easier.  She stands for the 15 to 20 minutes of soak time.  Of course the bin of hay helps keep her content. 





When finished with one foot, I switched to the other foot.

While Amiga was standing with her right foot in the bucket, I inspected her left foot.  I pressed on all the dark area at the toe and got no reaction from her, nor did I see any drainage or bubbles.  In fact, I think the farrier had cut all the sole off the top of the abscess. 





But I applied a poultice pad to her foot and bandaged it just to be sure. 





Patty helped me with feeding while I mucked and then she took Amiga back out to the paddock.  She took this nice photo of Zorro, watching over his sister. 








Wanda had been fed and was napping. 




In order to give the chickens a little longer outside, I was killing time and washed feed and water buckets with soap for a change.

The day was nearing it's end when I got home, but I still had feeding and chores here to do. 


Monday 5/15 - Not knowing Joe's plans, I made a quick trip out to the ranch and opened the chicken coop, threw hay, and put on fly masks.  I was back home by 7:30 and saw this deer resting in the woods. 








Once the deer got up, I took feed down to the rock and on the way back up, noticed this 'gift' from Rose, under Joe's lounge chair.  I wondered how long it would lay there before he noticed it or smelled it.  I didn't wait to see, so took it down back and buried it. 


Joe was available all day and willing to continue work at the ranch.  He bought more downspout brackets and four 'pavers' so we could finish the drainage project.  First we flipped the corner piece here, so that the white pipe fit into the corner pipe, which then slid into the downspout.  I took this photo during the rain that came later, which shows the connection working much better. 


The pavers were placed over the buried drain pipe so that a horse can't step right on top of the pipe with all it's weight.  I am sure that would squish the pipe.  So the pavers are there to distribute a horse's weight. 
 







Joe brought me three tractor loads of gravel which I raked into place while the project supervisor continued to look on. 




I was working on moving sod over the pipe, when a big storm blew in.  Once again, the rain came hours before predicted and our project was put on hold until another day. 








As the wind picked up and thunder rumbled in the not to far off distance, Joe and Maggie made a run for it (returning home) and the horses decided to head back out to the front pasture. 


I was scrambling to pick up tools and finish mucking, but got caught in the shed when the downpour hit.  But I was able to get the shed very well cleaned up. 



However, I had a full wheelbarrow to dump, so was still waiting on the rain to stop or at least let up (video). 


This did give me the opportunity to peek out and observe how things were draining.  I noticed that the corner pipe was over-flowing, but you can see that the drainage ditch was full of water and I imagined so was the gutter.  This little pipe just couldn't handle the volume of water. 


I noticed a big pool of water right outside the loafing shed door and made a mental note to add gravel here. 


Once the coast was clear, it was still raining lightly, I dumped the manure behind the dam.  I also got a look at drainage problems in the paddock, and made more mental notes for work to be done. 








I knew in the barn we had a problem.  Even with the doors closed, water was draining in.  I just kept adding things to the to-do list. 



I was damp and tired, so decided to skip Amiga's exercises and feet soak, and I headed home. 

Poker Joe was gone so I relaxed on the porch swing and read.  This is Babe on my lap, not a usual occurrence.  Another storm blew in as Karen was finishing up chores and had contacted me.  Later, Maggie did not want to go for her after dinner walk. 


Tuesday 5/16 - I was at the ranch by 8am, doing chores for Joe with the agreement he would help me a good part of the day.  Somebody's tail hair was hanging from the gate attachment in the shed.  I am guessing Amiga's because she likes to scratch her rear end on whatever she can find to do the trick. 


Joe arrived with Maggie, who likes his new truck because she can see out the front window much better. 






We got started on the to-do list which included finishing off this pile of top soil.  Joe delivered two more bucket loads to where I needed, and then flattened the rest of this to cover debris being exposed on the hillside here.  I did a ton of raking. 




I finished contouring and leveling the dirt at this corner of the dam and then had Joe put up a temporary fence to keep the horses off of it. 







All these areas need to be seeded, but we were out of seed.  Buying a big bag of pasture mix with rye and timothy was added to the shopping list. 




We got the chain, gate latch installed so that it can be done (and undone) one handed. 







Since we have put a water spigot by the corral, and I needed the flexible drain pipe by the wash rack, and we had extra downspout, we finished off the gutter system at the corral shed this way. 


We also moved the tools and wheelbarrow to the wash rack where they will stay dry and will be easier to access from the four foot gate.  A few halters were also hung here as well.  I really hope having the smaller gate on this side of the shed helps make getting the muck wheelbarrow, horses, and hay in and out of the paddock easier.  However, we will all need to re-train ourselves to use this side to enter and leave the paddock.


After Joe and I had lunch, we hung the chicken feeder from the ceiling so they can no longer knock it over.








 
I also hope this makes life for us humans easier. 


The horses had disappeared off the front pasture while we were up at lunch, so once back down in the barn yard to work, I peeked in on them.  Where's Cowboy? 








Peek-a-boo!  When you are a big half draft horse, it's hard to find a good hiding place. 



A storm was brewing and Maggie was quite worried about the sound of thunder getting closer.  The wind had really picked up also.  So I dismissed Joe for the day, who took Maggie home. 






I hustled to finish raking the dirt (flat, even, and soft) so it was ready for seeding.  My right elbow was starting to hurt, and it started raining, so I went up to the ranch house.

Up at the house I dried off (having got wet from the rain), finished my lunch, and went through and organized my to do list.  I was thinking I had chores and had planned to stay till after getting them done, and then it dawned on me, it was Patty's night.  I had been working on moving sod over the drain pipe, so when the rain stopped, I went back down to continue. 













But it was a little too damp to mess with, notice the standing water.  Patty arrived and I soaked Amiga's feet, did her stretching exercises and then went home.

Joe and I watched the movie Safe House and I applied heat to my elbows and forearms, did my arm exercises, stretches, and massage while sitting there.
 

Wednesday 5/17 - I lingered here at my computer longer than necessary.  Photos of Babe bothering Stevie who had been sleeping on Tango's (now Maggie's) old dog bed.  Everybody needs to share, but Stevie was not wanting Babes lovin'. 








I worked out from 10-12 and then went straight to the employee luncheon at St George.  It was so good to see so many familiar faces from last year.

Back at the house, full and lethargic, I read and then napped.  Upon waking, I still had troubles getting motivated.


Joe's poker game was cancelled so we went to the ranch to sow grass seed and cover it with old hay.  The horses were quite interested in the bucket of seed Joe had while he was in the paddock dispersing it. 








Silly equine.  Luckily Susan and Bonnie arrived to feed, which got the horses out of Joe's hair.  You can see how little grass there is here in this part of the paddock.  I don't know how much grass seed will germinate or even be able to grow, but we had to try something to slow down the erosion of all this dirt, which is washing down into the pond and exposing buried junk.

We covered this area (that we have roped off with hot electro-braid) using old (somewhat moldy) hay.  It has a better chance of growing since the horses can't get to it.  The spot on the hill down from the shed also got covered after seed was spread on it.   













We went home for dinner and TV and I did my elbow 'stuff' while watching Survivor.  My left elbow has held up fine, no further pain, but my right elbow has been sorer than last week.  I hope I haven't
too aggressively gotten back to using them. 
 


Thursday 5/18 - I woke with a sinus headache, knowing my allergies were troubling me.  It didn't help that mold spores were flying around while I had spread the musty old hay the evening before.

I was at Dorchester pool before 8:30, to help with cleaning and set up in preparation to opening in four days.  I did light-weight work like scrubbing out and loading the refrigerator with pop and water. 


Joe dropped Maggie off while I was finishing up with computer training.  And then Maggie and I headed to the ranch.  Can you see her in this photo? 








She was in the pasture with me, 'helping' me wrangle horses.  This next photo was taken a second or two after the previous one. 



This pair of Mallards were enjoying the pond, but flew off when Maggie and I got a little too close.

I wanted to finish putting the sod back from where it had been dug up for the drain pipe, so I was placing it back over the top of the drain pipe.  I got right to work, in hopes of finishing before the predicted late afternoon rains.   







Wanda joined my project supervisor who was hiding under the old cattle feed trough, frightened about the coming weather. 


The way Maggie was acting, I thought for sure we were going to get hit by another storm, but we only got wind and a drop in temperature, no rain. 







I was able to finish with all the sod.  Yipee!  The drainage ditch still needs to be continued all the way into the woods to keep the water from pooling in the back barnyard area.  You can see in this photo, Maggie was nervous, but Wanda was unbothered.  In spite of the predicted rain, I watered all the sod and grass nearby that had some remaining dirt on it. 

Because
Maggie was in a panic, I totally forgot to care for Amiga, and I hightailed it home with the dog, thinking it was going to pour.  Also, I was tired and hungry.

I saw this ride going out as I drove by Wildwood Stables.  They must have had a better handle on the weather than I did.

After a high protein snack, I went to the gym to get an aerobic workout in.  The 45 minutes on the elliptical  with my weighted vest on wiped me out.  But I felt good about the accomplishment.

I hit Food City on the way home, did my usual evening pet care chores, and was in bed with the lights out before 8:30.  Boy, aren't I a wild one.  LOL


Friday 5/19 -I was at the ranch by 7:30 for morning chores.  First the horses got hay and then I went up to the chicken coop to let the girls out. 







I did a little organizing in the coop and house, and then went back down to muck the paddock and open the gate to the pasture. 



While seeding and then adding a little top soil to the ground around the sod and drain pipe, my project supervisor and assistant supervisor enjoyed sunning, until Wanda got too hot and moved to the shade. 







Joe came out to help me with a few little jobs and then set to the task of mowing the front pasture. 





The horses were not bothered by Joe, but did keep their distance.  Later in the day when it was time for them to be moved off the pasture, they were not ready or very willing to come back into the paddock. 




While mucking in the paddock, I had seen (what was the corner of this) a piece of metal sticking up out of the ground.  I ended up digging this up.  It was larger (and heavier metal) than a license plate.

I got a text from the vet saying he could come this afternoon, so checked with Bonnie, Susan, and Patty, and took Dr. Perry up on his offer. 

I had planned to go to the gym to workout and shower, but now that wasn't going to happen. 
I cleaned out the gray water basin - cuddos to Jean for keeping it un-greasy.  There was about four inches of silt, that had fibers (probably from laundry and pet hair) but there was no greasy film or residue, and it didn't even smell bad.  It was a tad slimy though.

I started trimming the dogwood in the chicken yard that blew over but is still alive (although struggling).  I removed all dead branches I could reach and more of the leafy ones that were on the ground in the way of mowing and chicken climbing/roosting. 


Dr. Perry came and it was a fairly quick visit, mainly to give all three horses their Potomac Fever booster.  Amiga still needs to lose weight, and I had gotten other tips for helping with her abscesses. 







I had about an hour before our last ranch house/bonfire party.  I got the fire started and then cleaned myself up best I could, changing into some clothes Joe had brought me.  And I started eating and drinking before anyone arrived - I hadn't had lunch and after a long, hot day of work, was ready for a beer.  The hot dog I cooked over the fire was also delicious. 




Then people started rolling in.  Many saddle sisters (and a few husbands) came and we had a very nice night.  It was perfect for a bonfire.  My cell phone had 'died' so I borrowed Joe's for a few photos and Patty took a few.  Babs is not seen, because she came later. 





← Karen, Judy, Patty, Shirley, Jon, Joe, and Susan







Jon, Joe, Susan, Carol, John, Judy, and Bonnie ↓




I thoroughly enjoyed talking and hanging out with everybody who came.  The food they brought was great. 

I did get a little wild, drinking.  The third beer was one more than my usual cut off, but that was over a five hour period of time.  It was after 10pm by the time I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment