Friday, August 4, 2023

Adjustment

Our bodies are a marvelous combination of biology, physics, and chemistry working together.  It is an intricate balance of processes that keep us alive. 






And like our bodies, our lives constantly require adjustment to stay in harmony, balance, and peace with others and the world we experience each day.  Staying in balance isn't easy because adjustment requires change (often including sacrifice and compromise) which is not always comfortable.  


Saturday 7/29 -
As I was leaving (about 7am) Joe had started moving things off the deck to prepare for Kevin who was coming to rebuild the rotten parts of it.

My first stop was The Grove, to set up all our chairs and blanket to reserve space for the eight of us who planned to attend the great (Utopia band) concert. 




I arrived at the ranch at 7:30 intending to muck and go for an early morning ride.  I put Amiga in the round pen and opened the gate to let Zorro and Cowboy out into the field.  Mary and Jack surprised me, arriving to do the mucking, which enabled me to tack up quicker and hit the trail sooner.  I wanted to get the ride in before the day got too hot. 

I had a lovely ride on Amiga.  She started out a little stiff on the front legs, but then felt very good through most of it.  In the first photo we are on Marmaduke at the spillway to Lake Kirkstone.  We did some more exploring back off the hiking trail in this area, to see how the dirt roads were.  






The area where Jean and I have ridden Robbie and Amiga in the past, w
as more choked up, but passable.  These last two photos were taken from this (video) of our ride. 


I got back to the barn after about 90 minutes on the trail.  Coming home, I could tell
Amiga was hot and tired because she was sweaty and a little bit tripsy.

I hosed Amiga off to help her cool down and put her in the round pen to dry off.  While she happily ate in mostly the shade, I started work on the drainage ditch from the fence into the woods (beyond the wheelbarrow in this photo). 


Once Amiga was dried off, I rubbed liniment onto her lower front legs, did a little hoof care and put the tick/fly prevention drops on her and then turned her out with Zorro and Cowboy.

There was a big mound of dirt with lots of roots and wadded up and rotten landscape fabric intertwined in it.  I pulled out the fabric (seen piled above in the photo) in pieces and used clippers on the roots.  I ended up digging up three loads of dirt, spreading some here in a low spot in the paddock and some by our gate to the woods. 

It is difficult to see in this photo, especially with the sun coming through in spots, but the mound was over a foot taller than I needed the ground level of the ditch to be, to have a slope from the fence into the woods so water would drain that way. 


I got into some more briars again, and added some more scratches to my arms and legs before completing the job.  But I got it all done.  Now I just needed rain to see how it drains.


It was just afternoon when I got home.  Kevin had finished work rebuilding some of the rotten kick boards in our steps. 

The whole thing will get painted once the wood dries/ages a few months. 

Kevin was hard at work
replacing the door to Rose's eating station under the porch when I went to check on how he was doing.  The old door was flimsy and rotten and I had to step through the frame, ducking under a board and stepping over another board.  I sometimes hit my head or tripped going through the opening.  I took this photo after Kevin left.  Now it is one taller door to fit the whole opening, making it easier to go in and out. 




I was very tired, hot, thirsty, and hungry.  After a big lunch, and lots of water, I took a shower, and all I needed was some rest.  But I decided to start a load of laundry, load and start the dishwasher, and do some pet care organizing.  Once I sat down, Joe and I had yet another brainstorming session about our boarding business and the CO-OP.  Adjustments were still in progress. 

Well, we unexpectedly got the rain I was wanting, to see how my ditch worked, but it came as a storm, causing Utopia to be canceled.  I was NOT wanting rain tonight!  Anyway, we girls were all dressed and ready for dancing at the Grove, so we made an adjustment in plans, and decided to go to Red's.  The karaoke was it's usual mix of ballads, sing-alongs, and some dancing songs and the singers ranged from really good, to rather bad.  We made the best of it and had fun. 


Sunday 7/30 - With the strong winds during yesterday's storm, the plastic globe bulb on this light got blown off and broke.  Joe and Kevin had taken it off the day before to access the condition of the post and probably didn't get it tightened back on correctly.  I had been debating replacing these with something new and less 1970's vibe... and now the decision was made, I had no choice.

I had to skip church because I was scheduled to work at the pool in the morning.  The pool deck was a mess with all the leaves and twigs that had blown onto it.  It was a light crowd because the sun was slow to chase the clouds away.  I had an extra long shift because I was training Sharon, a new employee who came in, in the afternoon.  I didn’t get off work until 3:15. 


I scooted straight to the ranch because Karen was there waiting for me since we had planned to go for a ride.  It was a little warm in the sun, but once in the woods, with the lovely breeze blowing, it was so nice.  We had a wonderful ride, however I didn't take any photos.  Zorro and Amiga both did great.

I treated Amiga's back legs (especially the white one) for scratches (dew fever) and then returned her to the paddock. 



There was a large tree branch down behind the dam that was leaning on the stretch/electric fence.  I unhooked the fence and then tried and tried to pull the branch down.  I tugged from several directions, but couldn't get it.  So I swung the end of it behind the barbwire fence so it wasn't hitting the electric rope, and put another job on Joe's to-do list. 






Kevin had been working all day and finished this section of the door and wall under our back porch. 


He had also started on this set of stairs to our back deck, ripping out all the old kick boards. 

It was a typical Sunday evening, with Poker Joe gone and me doing the weekly chores of watering house plants, taking out the trash, etc. 


Monday 7/31 -  I woke with a 'knife in my back' under my shoulder blade feeling.  I didn't need a chiropractic adjustment, I needed a massage.  I couldn't figure out what I had done, and then I remembered the tree branch battle.  

I finally got a photo of this little yellow stray when taking food to Rose's dish.  It has been hanging around off and on but always runs off when it sees me.  There was a lost cat post in the paper I had seen, and I wanted to get a photo to see if this was the one missing.  It is very skittish and seems quite frightened. 


Monita hangin' out with me while I sat here in my office/sun room/cattery. 

I spent most of the morning at my computer getting this blog started and writing my account of the weekend.  I also folded laundry, emptied the dishwasher, and figured out where we are at with our ranch boarding and co-op. 


Kevin was here, hard at work on our back deck when I left the house at noon. 

I had decided against going to the gym because I was so sore.  So I went to the indoor pool with the hot tub after first stopping off at The Grove to set our chairs out and reserve spots for eight of us once again.

I had to kind of squeeze us to fit us into our usual spot, the patriotic blanket and two red chairs. 

I relaxed in the hot tub with my shoulder in front of a jet and then dried and sunned on a lounge chair while reading.  I even showered at The Center before a quick, short meeting with my boss, and then headed home. 





Kevin was just packing up to leave for the day.  He finished the kick boards and rail to this set of stairs.  While chatting with him about our aches and pains, he suggested Ibuprofen, so I took one. 





Soon I was off to Mirror Lake Blast and enjoying a 'dinner' of beer and pop-corn, feeling no pain. 





The band, Second Wind Knox, did a fantastic job, and was quite enjoyable.  
They were entertaining and had a great brass section.





And I (of course) especially enjoyed the saxophone. 




The dance floor was busy most of the evening, and at times it was almost too crowded to dance.  I had myself a good ole time. 
 


Tuesday 8/1 - Wow!  And just like that, another month is gone and summer is almost over.  Mama Styx watching me computerize. 

Little Yellow One was coming from the woods in back to check out Rose's food bowl under the porch.  They have had screaming matches that sound awful, but I don't think they have actually gotten into a physical fight.  













I worked 9-2, and then swam with Patty, Therese, and Cathy who came after some Route 127 yard sale shopping. 







I left the pool before 4pm and went to the ranch.  This is the camper we having staying here for the week because they too, are doing the 127 yard sale. 




I had gone to treat Amiga's legs again, but first hopped on her bareback and went for a quick little ride.  This photo is of the paved portion of Marmaduke, taken shortly after I took this (video).  
I finished our ride taking Amiga up and around the corral area, and near the camper which she was leery of.  The couple were back from their day of antiquing.


Amiga's legs got treated and then I started in on feeding chores, but Jack and Mary soon came down since it was their night.  We chatted some in the process.  They said Brooke had decided to work for them, and she and her horse Banner would be coming before the end of the month.    

I got home at 6:45 feeling rather exhausted.  It was all I could do to complete my daily chores and figure out something to eat for dinner.  Maybe I need to adjust my expectations of myself... I just can't go like I used to. 


Wednesday 8/2 - I was at the ranch by 8:30 because it was farrier day.  All went well, and Chris commented on how Amiga didn't seem to be hurting on her front legs anymore.  He also put paste (a polymer patching material) on Zorro's front hooves because we can't seem to get rid of the cracks he has on each hoof.


I did a few little odd jobs and got home a little after 11am. 








Joe was going to help me with tree trimming, but I was starving and felt tired.  UGH.  So I had an early lunch. 

Babe on the porch rail reminded me of those cat silhouettes you can buy for a shelf. 





In the first photo below, I like her ears showing better, but in the last one I like that her tail is more apparent, not getting 'lost' among the tree trunks.















I had Joe help me get out the giant step ladder, and I took a broken bird house off a high branch.  Then using the more manageable ladder, I trimmed the red bud by our porch.  The benches are off the deck, out of the way, and ready to be painted.  I then moved my ladder around to work on the dogwood outside my office.   







I had planned to go to the gym later, but time and energy caused me to change my mind.  I took a break and ran to Food City, getting necessities and grabbing a meal from the deli hot food bar. 




After an early dinner, I went to feed Rose and look who was back, Little Yellow One.  

I continued tree trimming a little longer and then went in to feed our cats and dog.  When I came back out to take photos of the trimmed trees, notice who was down in the creek bed in the background of the dogwood photo above. 






So I zoomed in on the four of them for this photo. 

To end the day, I got caught up on some household tasks and then worked here on this blog and some ranch business. 

Thursday 8/3 - It was a gloomy morning with a light sprinkle coming down and more rain in the forecast, but I opened the pool as usual since I hadn't been notified to wait on the weather.  The rain stopped for almost two hours but the sun never came out and the temperature remained in the low 70's.  I didn't have any customers, so sat and read much of the time.  I am struggling with this Clive Cussler novel because there are Russian and German characters I can't keep the foreign names straight on.  And I can't sort out who the good guys are, from the corrupt 'good guys,' and the real criminals, vs the not so criminal 'nice' bootleggers.  I made good progress on the book today, so will continue to try and finish it. 

A storm blew in at noon, didn't last long, but more rain was expected to follow and I was waiting to hear from the 'higher ups', whether or not to stay open.

I finally got word to shut the pool just before my shift ended, so then I had to do all the closing procedures before locking it up for the day. 

I was home just before 2pm and at the gym by 2:10.  I couldn't get into my workout mentally or physically, but in two hours I managed to do all my ab and arm weights and nearly an hour on the elliptical.  

Joe, Maggie, and I went to Patty's for dinner, where we joined Therese, Roxie, and Karen for a great meal. 

Friday 8/4 - I was delighted to have a morning where I didn't have to be anywhere at an early time.  So it was a much more relaxing start to my day.  Babe, hangin' out in the cat room, with a very funny expression on her face.

I actually got to the gym by 9:00, partly because I hardly had any photos to put on this blog post from yesterday.  Getting home just after 1:00, I called the couple with the lost cat and sent my photos of Little Yellow One, and quickly learned that it was not their kitty. 


This is a view out the window of my other office.  I arrived at work at 1:30.  For such a beautiful day, I was surprised that we weren't busier.  But I did have a few customers right up until 6:00 closing. 








I had chores at the ranch for Mary and Jack, who are out of town for a week, so I scurried to get there to feed all the horses. 



Our feed bin was nearly empty, so I had to get a new bag of feed, stored in a tub under the bin, and then brought another bag down from the shop (which is how I rotate it).  There was a fair amount of mucking needed to be done in our shed and paddock also. 







Next I took care of Mary and Jack's three horses and by the time I got to the coop, the chickens were already settled in for the night. 




Joe had dropped Mary, Jack, and Tito off at the airport and then went to poker (after dropping by the house to feed and walk Maggie).  It was almost 8pm when I got home.  The cats had to make an adjustment to the late dinner time.  It seems I have been making adjustments in my routine all summer, with my pool and ranch chore schedules changing so often.  That's life for ya.  

No comments:

Post a Comment