Friday, August 11, 2023

The Shits

No, I'm not sick nor do I have intestinal ails.  I chose this blog title because, well, this word just came to mind several different times this week.  Sorry for the profanity, but the word shit is so versatile, I just had to use it in a blog title, especially for a week that was the shits... which can and does mean both good and bad.  I had contrasting moods when I started this blog on Sunday, and the word shit seemed to work on several different occasions.  As you can see from these pictures, I am obviously not the only one who has given this word some thought.  To help you get through this post, or to make you more fluent in English, you must know your shits - there are even 'Shit Translation' mugs for sale, if needed. 



Some other uses of the word that came to mind are:

Shit bag- scum
Shit store - junk shop
Shit got real - situation escalated
Shit talk - taunting, vulgar, or insulting speech
Shit fit - uncontrolled outburst
Shit show - thrown into chaos
Shit yeah - support or elation
 


Little shit - stinker, but cute
Ape shit - crazy or rambunctious
Real shit - the real thing, genuine
In deep shit - in big trouble
Act like shit - behaving badly
Lose my shit - mental breakdown
Take no shit - set boundaries
Give a shit - care about
Sort your shit out - solve the problem
Own your shit - take responsibility
Show your shit - show off
Get your shit together - clean up your act
Keep your shit together - stay organized
Doing shit - doing nothing


Saturday 8/5 - Look who I saw in one of Rose's usual spots on the front porch,
as I was backing out of the drive before 7am.  The little shit, (Little Yellow One) is taking over Rose's territory.  I drank my second cup of tea in the car as I drove through some patchy fog on my way to go do ranch chores. 




The fog was still clinging to the distant mountain when I pulled in at the ranch.  I put fly masks on horses and opened gates to let them out into their respective pastures.  Although, I had put Amiga in the round pen instead of letting her go with the boys.  She proceeded to have a little shit fit.  



Amiga's antics didn't last long, and she stood quietly as usual, while I groomed and tacked her.  I took her on a nearly two hour ride as we wound back and forth on the dirt roads in the Lake Kirkstone area.  She stood calmly as we watched these fishermen get going from the dock.  I love this horse. 











Amiga had looked like she was favoring her front leg when she was running around in the round pen, but once I was in the saddle, she felt quite good.  I took this (video) of us arriving back at the barn.

While untacking, I noticed that Wanda was out cold.   She did open her eyes when Amiga grabbed a bite of hay from the stack she was sleeping on, but she didn't seem to give a shit and went right back to sleep.  I love that this cat is so relaxed and happy at our barn. 








I proceeded to do the mucking of all three sheds and both paddocks.  I noticed this box turtle just inside the door of the donkey shed, going in the direction of the woods.  I moved it behind the shed because it would not have been able to get there, from where it was at.


I got home for a late lunch and planned for some R&R before my ladies' night out.  When I touched base with Joe about the evening, he dropped a bomb on me... he was going to be out of town for the next four days.  You got to be shitting me!  He had already agreed to do the extra mucking on two of those days.  Patty and I were covering the other four while Mary and Jack were out of town.  I tried laying out in the sun reading, but I was so agitated.  Joe was in deep shit as far as I was concerned.  I felt frustrated and put upon.  He was really stepping on my toes as far as I was concerned, and we weren’t even dancing. 








Once I was dressed up and on my way to Micki's, my mood was improving.  I was the designated driver and couldn't use Joe as a back-up because he wanted to get to bed early.  So I planned only for two (or three) beers.  We arrived at Reds and were part of a group of 18 ladies total.


These gals are from all parts of the U.S., who retired in Tennessee and met each other playing Pickleball.  I know a few from the gym and many from the dance floor. 
The majority of us graduated somewhere in the 70s and early 80s.  With hair down, makeup on, cute clothes, and sassy attitudes, we girls were ready to party.  Thanks to Elaine who organized this gathering.

Both of these photos were taken early in the evening before all the gals had arrived.  It was while we were still tame, respectable, and lady-like.
 


Sherri, Micki and I are the Three Amiga's who always enjoy getting together.  This looks a lot like the photo we had taken last Saturday.

Micki took the photo below of the two ladies (who will remain anonymous) who sat across form us.  They were singing karaoke using salt and pepper shakers for microphones.  We all had a shit-ton of fun.


The night only got crazier as time went on.  Some of us got pretty wild so it would not be appropriate to post the last pictures of the night... which I didn't even take.  What happens at Reds, stays at Reds.  None of us got shitfaced, but many of us certainly 'let our hair down.'  I only had one shot of Fireball over my two beer limit, in addition to three glasses of water during the course of the evening (four hours) so was okay to drive Micki and I home.

Sunday 8/6 - Joe was up and gone before I even got out of bed.  I felt no adverse effects from the night before and was still feeling happy about the fun time we had all had.  I got this blog started, having mixed emotions and a bit of a bad attitude towards Joe.  I wasn't going to lose my shit over this, but I didn't want to take any shit either.  I needed to sort my shit out and move on. 
  
I met Shirley for Church and afterwards finished the load of laundry I had started when I got up.  I had a long phone conversation with Jean, catching up on our lives and me doing a little venting. 




I went out to the ranch to start on mucking chores.  Above, Chipolte was relaxing in the shed by himself.  While I was picking up shit (manure), Billie and Mesa came in to join him. 

I haltered Amiga and took her to the barn just as Karen was arriving.  We had planned to ride together.  Patty also arrived and started in on mowing.  She helps keep the ranch property looking so nice. 😍    


Karen rode Zorro.  I didn't take any photos, but this one is from this (video) I took of Zorro racking so nicely.  We had a nice little ride, enjoying a fairly cool late afternoon. 








Once back from our ride, Patty and Karen helped me with chores.  It was nice to have the company and extra helping hands. 

Oh my goodness, I entertained myself Sunday night with songs about poop.  I had looked up other names for shit.  Here is the Paint with Monster
doodoo, caca, poopoo (song), which I like as advice to anyone trying to achieve something, not just good artwork.  I did do some constructive things like shower and work on this blog.
 


Monday 8/7 - I had stayed up rather late doing shit last night, so didn't get up until 6:30.  I got my tea heated up, my body in ranch clothes, and was headed down the road by 7am.

I let out the chickens and Mary and Jack's horses first, and then went down to the barn to open the gate for ours.  Amiga and Zorro were standing by it patiently waiting.  Cowboy seemed to know they all needed their fly masks on first, so he was hangin' out near the pond. 






While mucking our shed and paddock, Wanda was being silly.  She was practicing her escape maneuvers. 






And unlike some cats, she was very skillful at backing back down from her perch.  This cat ain't chickenshit.



I finished up my chores, mucking the upper paddock and sheds. 

By this time, Amiga and Zorro were happily grazing together. 
Cowboy hangs out with Amiga when Zorro looses track of her, and Zorro and Cowboy buddy up together when I am off riding Amiga.  Our happy herd of three is definitely the shit.





I returned home mid morning and had my second cup of tea.  I couldn't get fired up for the gym just yet.  I contemplated yard work, but then I saw that we were under a tornado watch, No shit.  So, also the pressure to do yard work was off, and I took a nap. 

Well, a big storm blew in just before 2pm, waking me up.  Holy shit did we get hit with wind and rain.  We got 1¾ inches in just an hour's time. 


Mirror Lake Blast was cancelled and I finally got to the gym after letting all my snacking (late breakfast, which then progressed into lunch) digest some.  I had a decent workout although I started out slow, lethargic, and un-energized.  Karen had chores and sent this photo of a board blown in on the donkey shed.  There were lots of leaves and branches down from the storm, here, and at the ranch.
 
I hit Food City on the way home from my workout, and bought some things not on my list, cause I was so hungry.  I got mashed Cauliflower (that was supposed to be like mashed potatoes) and smoked pork roast (cooked and ready to eat).  Well, the cauliflower ended up tasting like shit and the pork was a little too spicy for my liking.  Good thing I had a small side salad to eat also. 


Tuesday 7/8 -I had taken this photo of Maggie and Wanda yesterday.  The dog was hot and tired after going on the ride with us.  Today, before going to work at the pool, Maggie was holding out on me.  The little
shit wouldn’t shit.  Patty was going to walk her around noon because I wasn't going to be back home until around 6pm, and Joe was out of town.
Below, flower boxes and garden at the ranch.
 





It was a quiet shift at the pool since it was fairly overcast most of the time.  I actually got kind of sleepy because it was so slow, and it was good napping weather.  Patty came for some exercise, and reported that Maggie had pooped for her.

From the pool, I went straight to the ranch to take care of mucking, chicken care, feeding horses, and some other odd jobs like watering Mary's flowers.
The night before Karen had reported that the electro-braid fence didn't seem to be working properly.  Patty had tested it this morning in a few places and said the charge was quite weak in some spots. 





So I turned off the fence and walked the fence line looking for problems.  Right away I saw this small, dead branch down and tangled in it, up at the corner near the charger. 






I removed the branch and the electro-braid rope was still hung up on the barbwire.  It was an easy fix, and I continued my walk of all the electric fence line, finding a few other places where it might be shorting out.  



I had also been on the look-out for Mesa's fly mask, which I found, luckily within view from the electro-braid fence. 

I had some extra time before the horses needed feeding, so dug the drainage ditch running from the fence into the woods a little deeper. 











After the last storm, I could see that water had pooled just past the fence.  I wanted to get it to run off into the woods.  Hopefully now, mission is accomplished.  It will need maintaining, removing weeds, leaves and other debris periodically. 


The horses didn't get fed until almost 6:00, and my menagerie at home had to wait till 7pm for dinner. 

Wednesday 8/9 -  This photo was taken as I was leaving the ranch yesterday.   Other than the gym, I didn't do Jack shit today.  We all need a day off every now and then, right?  I finally had a full day off from ranch work.  And I didn't have to work at the pool either.  So I wasted time going off on different diversion’s on Facebook and giving various things some thought. 
I only took one photo all day, so here is another depiction of several types of shit. 


Joe had gone to the ranch on his way home from Cherokee and was just getting home when I left for the gym.  I did the elliptical and then abs and legs, since I had done abs and arms on Monday.  Also my arms got a bit of a workout yesterday working on the ditch.

Joe was out lying in the sun on the deck when I got home so I decided to join him.  I needed to communicate with him about our upcoming trip to Mississippi, and to find out what he had accomplished at the ranch.  

Styx fell asleep on the back of my neck while I sat here at my desk.  I kind of disturbed her taking this photo. 





Joe left for poker and I proceeded to eat a little bit of everything I could get my hands on (both good and bad).  I continued to feel tired and unmotivated even though there was plenty I needed to get done here at home.  I think I need a good shit kicking to get out of this eating/do-nothing funk. 
 


Thursday 8/10 - When proofreading my blog this morning, I got very tired of all The Shits.  I must apologize for being so vulgar and fairly negative the first five days of this week.  It’s time to clean up my act. 








We had waves of rain, sometimes accompanied by thunder and lightning, throughout the night and well into the morning.  I had a long list of things to do before leaving town tomorrow, but as usual, time, energy, and motivation got in the way.  Also, I had to go to work at the pool.  

I had no customers my whole shift, so sat in the office and read my book.  It was overcast the whole time, with several episodes of a misty kind of rain. 

From the pool I went to the ranch where I helped Joe fix a gate in the upper paddock.  Then I tended to mucking and feeding chores.

I was so hungry and tired when I got home at 5:30, I made dinner, did home chores, and then sat to work here.  I was in bed by 7:30, just couldn't stay awake. 
    

Friday 8/11 - I didn't get up until 5:30, getting nearly ten hours of sleep.  With one cup of tea and some computer time accomplished, I headed to the ranch, downing my second cup of tea during the 18 minute drive.  These two little bunnies on the lane, were slow to get out of my way. 





Billy and Mesa looking in the feed room at me while I grabbed fly masks for all three horses.  I masked our three in the lower paddock as well, before turning them out to pasture.  After mucking, I was home by 8:30.

Once home, I wanted to finish and post this blog.  But
I also had tons to do before our 2pm departure time.  The worst part about vacations, is getting ready to go. 



The second worst part is the traveling.  I was dreading riding in the truck, which doesn't really have a back passenger area where I can lie on my side and get my weight off by butt, to relieve sciatica.  
This is NOT where anyone would want to sit for very long, and really is probably just for kids.  The seats are tiny and the distance between the seat and floor (shown with my hand) is about six inches. 








Well, I figured out a way to make it work.

 



I have a spot (just for lying down) so can climb back there in a pinch when I need to give my butt a rest. 
I will report back in my next blog as to how this all worked. 

I was hustling to finish laundry, start packing my suitcase, get Maggie packed and ready to go to Patty's house, get my litter boxes cleaned, and neaten up a very messy house.  I stowed away my pool staff clothes, my ranch clothes, and even my gym clothes.  I also sat here periodically to finish this blog.  Monita was not helping at all (video).  Now it's off to shower and soon climb into the truck to complete half our eight hour drive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment