Friday, November 10, 2023

Choose Joy

Joy and happiness are similar, but not the same.  The difference between joy and happiness is that happiness happens to us and joy is a choice one makes.  Joy is an inner feeling.  Happiness is an outward expression.  A person pursues happiness but chooses joy. 


Joy is not the absence of suffering, it is the presence of God. 



It is possible to be joyful in difficult times.  The presence of anger, shame, grief, sadness, etc. doesn’t mean joy isn’t or can’t be present.  And the presence of joy doesn’t mean there isn’t any pain in a person’s soul.     







Joy endures hardship and trials and connects with meaning and purpose. 
Joy is more than emotion.  It is an attitude.  Choosing joy is like choosing love.  It’s not something done once and forgotten.  Choosing is a habit.  Many times a day, each and every day, one needs to overlook the imperfections of others and of this world.  We need to choose to see beyond the particular circumstances of a moment and extend grace to one another.


Saturday 11/4 - Maggie and Babe (and I) were keeping warm in front of the space heater first thing in the morning.  I tore myself from my comfort place, put on work clothes, and left for the ranch at 7am.  When I arrived, I quickly discovered that the gate from the paddock to the front pasture had been left open.  (oops, Brooke forgot, but she is still 'in-training' learning the jobs of our co-op so to speak.)  So my trip out there was for not.  There was no work to be done because the horses were out all night so there was no manure in the paddock or shed. 





Kevin arrived at our Flossmoor house once it had warmed up, and he got back to work painting the deck.  I like Kevin because he seems joyful.  He sings to the radio and takes
joy in his work. 





I had made plans to ride with Karen, but forgot I had agreed to hike and go to the Lilly Pad Brewery with Joe. 






My slumber had been interrupted during the night again and I was short on sleep hours, so I laid down to take a nap, rather than go to the gym.  I fell asleep to the sound of Kevin's radio.  




These photos were taken from the Lilly Bluff Overlook. 

Our 45 minute drive did not warrant beautiful fall colors because most of the leaves have already fallen.  But now you can see through the woods and spot rock formations. 








After a relatively short hike up at Lilly Bluff, we drove to the brewery.  It was pretty busy but we found two seats at a table quite close to the stage. 


If you look closely at this photo, you will notice some people have cups on their head.  The different colored cups also have shapes drawn on them.  These are a signal to the waitress as to who's order she has.  









You get the cup when you order at the food shack.  And the waitress takes your cup when she brings you your food.  

Apparently this chicken was looking for dropped scraps of food. 

We really enjoyed the band and a second beer with dinner.  I was also having fun watching the crowd.  It soon became apparent that these craft beers are a bit stronger than the Michelob Lite I am used to. 😜


Sunday 11/5 - This long drought (basically no measurable rain the last two months) has really taken it's toll.  Look at turtle pond, about three feet lower than normal.  









In this photo, I have drawn in red the usual water level of the pond. 
It is so sad to see it so low, and I can't help but wonder what is happening to the aquatic life. 









I was outside by 9:00, mowing up and hauling leaves across the 'creek' to the woods on the other side.  That's when I took these photos. 


I got too hot working in the yard, so removed my long sleeve under layer and put my t-shirt back on before heading to the ranch.  

I hauled shavings to the chicken coop and reorganized the feed section of our tack room.  When Karen arrived, we went to get our horses. 






We looked at Zorro out in the field (above) and watched him walk.  It was hard to gauge how sore he was because he only took a few steps at a time as he grazed.  When Karen walked Banner in, Zorro followed, and I was behind with Amiga.  I could better see how Zorro was moving, and he was definitely sore.


It was nice that Banner was an option for riding, since Zorro was lame.  We tacked up and were on the trail in short order.  Having read last week's blog, Karen commented about being mindful, and we agreed that it was a beautiful day and a wonderful experience out on the trail.  Choosing joy is part of mindfulness.  We soaked up sunshine, fresh air, and the sound of crunching leaves... and later the smell of our horses as we un-tacked them.  Amiga and Banner did great together. 


I have noticed this cool weed over the past week or so, as it has slowly unfolded and now has all it's seeds exposed and ready to be dispersed by the wind. 

After we turned Amiga and Banner out, we brought Zorro in so I could show Karen where his sore spots were.  We discussed different gels to use to help his sore muscles/ligaments and I used the Epsom salt poultice rub that is used for sprains or strains.

I raked leaves from the paddock (so Amiga won't start eating them like she did last year) and Susan arrived just about feeding time. 
So I was helped with chores again.  Before Susan and I left, we watched these four for awhile, as they played musical hay piles.  Zorro continues to be top horse, followed by Amiga, Cowboy and then Banner.  There was no kicking or biting, but we saw throwing of the head, flattened ears, displayed teeth, and swinging of the butt into kick position.  Each horse seemed to respect the other and move off without a fight. 


Monday 11/6 - I don't think any of us like this daylight saving's time.  Shifting daylight to earlier in the morning by setting the clock back, just means I am waking up earlier (as are my cats and dog) and it makes me feel short on sleep.  The sun is up earlier (according to the time on the clock) so the horses and chickens want 'out' at an earlier time.  Monita looks a tad grumpy in this photo, a bit how I felt for some reason.  




I watched two blue birds fight over this bird house just outside my office window, and was curious as to why they were interested in it this time of year. 


Nature fascinates me and is usually a joy to watch, except when it involves killing and eating of prey.  But we have to appreciate the predators needs food.
 






Joe took my car in for an oil change, so I took Maggie on her longer mid-morning walk that Joe usually does.


Going across the dam at Turtle pond, I noticed this water thing that was pumping water into the pond (video).  I was thinking now would be a good time to dredge the pond, but I guess if the hole was made larger, the water would be even shallower. 





Joe had met Scotty and Dave at the ranch.  Dave fixed the lock on the front door and Scotty installed this spot light for the back of the barn yard area.
Joe was about to leave by the time I got out there, so I didn't have his help (moving manure) for long.  I watered trees and shrubs that have been planted since we moved in.


After a small protein snack, I worked here at my computer on some things concerning the future of Wildwood Stables.  Monitia napping again.

I was at the gym from 3:00-5:30.

Joe and I watched another episode of Suits, which has me captivated and hooked.

Tuesday 11/7 -  Now that I am caught up on blogging, I had time for some games on my computer.

Maggie and I went to the ranch, with Joe not far behind us.  Joe and I worked together at moving manure from this end of the back side of the dam, to an area more in the middle. 





Joe operated the tractor while I did the raking.  At this other end of the dam I removed leaves to be sure the ditch for water runoff was clear, if ever it rains again. 






While working, I caught this (video) of Zorro when he came in to get a drink and then walked back out.  He shows improvement. 



I had worked at raking leaves and old piles of manure from the backside of the paddock fence, moving the debris farther into the woods and spreading it out some.

Then at 1pm I fetched Amiga and took her out on a long, slow two hour ride.  We went on all the trails in the Kirkstone loop area.  Pictured is a very low water hole off Marmaduke.  The water is black from leaf tannins. 






Here off Marmaduke is a look at why this area is called Rocky Top. 
It was another absolutely beautiful fall day for a ride.  Amiga did fantastic, always willing to continue down the trail and never got revved up.  Another trail ride (video).  I've been trying to curb my trail riding addiction.  But I'm not out of the woods yet.  😆

While I was out on the trail, Jon and Susan had 'installed' this wooden entrance to the port-a-potty that Jon had built.  This will make it easier to step across the drainage dip while entering the port-a-potty (especially needed for Bonnie who is using a walker to get around.). 











It is perfect, and I am quite impressed with it's workmanship.

Also while out on the trail, a delivery person had left this box on top of my car.  It was for the neighbor who lives at the corner of our drive and Eli Ford.  I later dropped it off on her porch when I left the ranch.  This photo was taken to show Jack and Mary's horse trailer heading up to the house where they parked and were ready for a morning departure tomorrow. 

After caring for Amiga, I put her in the round pen and then got Zorro.  I washed off the
Epsom salt poultice rub which had harden and then stuck him in the round pen with his sister. 





Susan arrived to do chores before I left, so I helped her by going to get Banner.  This is only the 9th day he has been coming in with our herd to eat, so he is still figuring out the routine.  He is a good boy, but just remains a little confused by where to go.  And our three horses continue to be a little bossy with him.

I was hoping to have time for the gym, but it was getting dark when I got home and my motivation (and energy) seemed to have set with the sun.  Susan later sent this photo of our new light illuminating the backside of the barn area.  This will be so nice when doing chores in the dark.

 
Wednesday 11/8 - I had a quick workout on the elliptical and did weights with legs and abs.  I omitted the stretch & balance work I usually do afterwards, because I was in a rush to get out to the ranch.  When I got there, Joe had finished hauling away the manure pile in the upper paddock and was working on removing leaves from the yard.  Jack and Mary had packed up all their horse stuff and left with them, so I did a good cleaning of the sheds and feed room.

Susan soon arrived and I had planned to help her pump out and clean water tanks, but I ended up being no help what-so-ever.  I did store the cleaned out tank from the upper paddock in the feed room, along with the manure wheelbarrow.  They will be stored here until needed at a later time, when/if we have a renter with a horse(s).  We have decided to keep our number of horses at four through the winter, to save on hay and not over use the pastures. 


I worked at seeding this area of the upper paddock.  I had a ¼ bag of pasture mix left and used it up.  Then I spread straw over most of the seed, until I ran out of it.  It took lots of time to loosen and fluff the straw from the tightly packed bale I was using. 







The wind had picked up, making spreading of the straw more difficult.  I hadn't quite made it to the area where the manure pile had been.  You can barely see my project supervisor in the second photo because she blends in so well with the straw color.  





It was getting late and I needed to get chores done.  Zorro was already hanging around, but the other three were kind of slow to come in.  Wanda loves laying on the fly masks I throw over the fence to hang up after getting all the horses in for dinner.  It was kind of dark as I was finishing up, so I had lights on, including the new one.  It was very helpful. 

Thursday 11/9 - Joe, Maggie and I were all out at the ranch by 9:30.  Joe was meeting Dave, who was installing our new gate opener.  I swept out the shop, getting a bunch of loose, dusty hay off the floor and took it to the upper paddock and finished covering the grass seed. 





Joe then blew leaves from the lower paddock (especially the red oak that aren't good for horses if they should decide to eat some). 






Removing the bulk of the leaves was not only for my peace of mind, but see how much better it looks.  I had to adjust feed instructions and scoops in the tack room and then worked at raking leaves (and sticks and manure that had been piled on the back side of the paddock fence).


This is the start of my work looking towards the donkey shed. 


And this shows the work I had done, looking towards the pond.  You can see how 'choked up' it is along the fence line in the woods.  Moving debris back away from the fence will discourage the horses from trying to nibble on anything on the other side of the fence, but also, more importantly, it will allow water from the paddock to drain out and into the woods. 
Also, I had uncovered barbwire half buried on the back side of the fence, which Joe helped me cut to remove it. 


At one point while I was working, three of the horses (the original herd) came in to get a drink.  Banner is still not yet fully a part of this herd, so he doesn't stick too close to these three.

This would have been a perfect time to grab Amiga for a ride, but I wasn't ready to quit working yet. 





Joe did a few more little repair jobs.  This gate in the upper paddock had been pushed down by the horses, off its top hinge.  So it was an easy fix.  The one barn door that got pulled on when Chipolte caught his haulter on the latch will not be so easy to fix.  When closing it all the way, it drags a little bit and no longer hangs straight or a lines with the other door. 

Earlier Joe had run to subway to get us all lunch.  By 2:00, he was still waiting on Dave to finish installing the new gate opener.  I had tacked up Amiga and rode up the drive and out the gate, and then turned to get Dave's photo.  Amiga eyeing the pumpkin decorations.

It was another pretty fall day for a ride.  It was overcast and had cooled down some,
but was still in the upper 60's. 



Amiga was a little more wound up than she usually is when I take her out by herself.  But I had cantered her in a few spots, so she had troubles coming back down to a relaxed walk.  In this photo you can see an example of what people do, dumping their yard waste (this is bush trimmings) on the back roads.  So disrespectful.

I was falling asleep while Joe and I were watching Survivor, and went straight to bed afterwards, at 7:30.  Scheesh.  I am still on standard time. 

Friday 11/10 - We finally got rain overnight, and it continued to drizzle all morning.  It was now a cold 48°.  You can’t really call what happened rain, because it was barely measurable (⅛ inch) in the gauge.  But at least it settled some of the dust.

I didn’t take a single picture all day long.  Courtney did send these two photos she took of Maggie last weekend. 

I spent much of the morning in town doing a lot of shopping and spending over $450.  I had a little time once home to unload and stowaway much that I had bought. 




I ate lunch in the car on my way to the ranch where I met Katy the chiropractor for Zorro's appointment.  Zorro was a dirty mess so I groomed him until Katy arrived.  She did several adjustments on Zorro and said he should be feeling better, but needs a follow up appointment.  Susan was there for Cowboy's appointment and we chatted for quite awhile.   


This picture was on my Facebook feed a few days ago, and I couldn't help but post it.  I think we have all 'been there / done that' when it comes to trying to get our kids to pose for a photo.

I had a really invigorating workout from 3:10 - 5:30.  After 50 minutes on the elliptical, it was arm and ab weights, ending with good stretch and balance work. 

I had missed a meeting our little group had with the board president in regards to Wildwood‘s future.  I heard back that it was very positive and optimistic.  This brings me great joy.
 
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."  Romans 15:13


No comments:

Post a Comment