Friday, November 17, 2023

Today's The Day

I have written many thoughts about our precious time here on Earth; about not wasting time, living in the moment, don't wait for later, time is too short, enjoy your life now, etc.
I love this prose:
Barely the day started and... it's already six in the evening.
Barely arrived on Monday and it's already Friday.
... and the month is already over.
... and the year is almost over.
... and already 40, 50 or 60 years of our lives have passed.
... and we realize that we lost our parents, friends.
and we realize it's too late to go back...
So... Let's try, despite everything, to enjoy the remaining time...

Let's keep looking for activities that we like...
Let's put some color in our grey...
Let's smile at the little things in life that put balm in our hearts.
And despite everything, we must continue to enjoy with serenity this time we have left.
Let's try to eliminate the afters...
I'm doing it after...
I'll decide after...
I'll think about it after...
We leave everything for later like '' after '' is ours.
Because what we don't understand is that:

Afterwards, the coffee gets cold...
Afterwards, priorities change...
Afterwards, the charm is broken...
Afterwards, health passes...
Afterwards, the kids grow up...
Afterwards parents get old...
Afterwards, promises are forgotten...
Afterwards, the day becomes the night...
Afterwards life ends...
And then it's often too late....
So... Let's leave nothing for later...
Because still waiting to see you later,
we can lose the best moments,
the best experiences,
the best friends,
the best family...
The day is today... The moment is now!

author unknown

We are no longer at the age where we can afford to postpone what should or needs to be done right away.   Today's the day. 


Saturday 11/11 - Veteran's Day, thanks to all.  I was up at 2am, having gotten six hours of sleep.  I finished and posted last week's blog and started this one. 
I got to the ranch before sunup and was home by 6:15. 








All I did was open the door to the chicken coop and open the gate to let the horses out.  I would be back later in the day to muck.  Seen in this photo the four horses were following me to the gate.  And I had to make them back up and not move forward while I opened it. 

As usual, they were happy to be out in the pasture.  The two Paso finos were already disappearing over the hill when I took this photo.

I had a second cup of tea when I got home, along with a few cookies.  (Life is short - eat cookies.) 






I spent extra time here in my 'hangout' (at my computer desk, in my office/sun room/cattery).
Some things I checked off my 'to-do' list:
✓  Two loads of laundry
✓  Elliptical and leg workout
✓  Food City
✓  Pack up cooler

By 2:30, I was on Amiga, out on the trail. 
Just as we had left the ranch, I heard a loud motorized vehicle and saw it coming down the dirt road towards us.  It was a dirt bike of some sort, but sounded like those 'crotch rockets' as he was gunning his engine.  Thankfully he saw us and turned around.  Amiga and I were both on edge much of the ride because we could hear him 'in the neighborhood' zipping around on the back roads near us.  This photo is of a skid mark he left at the corner of Hathaway and Marmaduke.
 


Thankfully we never encountered him again, visually that is.  But it was not a peaceful ride hearing him much of the time and not knowing if he would come racing up behind or in front of us. 

I mucked the paddock while Patty fed, showing Cathy and Jamie (her friends from Iowa) the chores.  The sun was setting by the time I walked up the drive to the house. 


Guests had been arriving, and the party began.  Joe had picked up sandwiches from subway and other items to accompany the meal were brought by various people. 

The fire was blazing outside, but it was too dark and cold to eat out there. 




After the meal, the eleven of us gathered around the fire pit.  We all kind of scooched in to keep warm. 






Joe had his perfunctory cigar.





Susan gave Bonnie (who couldn't join us) a call on speaker phone and we all said hi. 

"So bring your good times and your laughter too.
There's a party goin' on right here.
We gonna celebrate...  And have a good time".

The party ended earlier than they usually do because we were getting cold and several of us were tired. 


Sunday 11/12 - I decided today's the day for rest.  I didn't plan to go anywhere or do anything.  I computerized much of the early morning but when I heard Kevin was coming to work, I went out and swept all the leaves off the deck he had finished painting.
Then I worked on the jigsaw puzzle while listening to a podcast Carol recommended. 





Kevin had finished painting the inside and outside of the screened porch, a job I had started in 2018, the date on the can of paint.  Doing all of this trim without getting paint on the screens is very tedious and time consuming.  He did a great job!


Stevie was again up on the cat shelves gazing down at me when I was here at my computer.

I was feeling a little guilty sitting at the puzzle table while Kevin was right outside working, so when Karen asked if I wanted to ride, I was ready to go.  I had been thinking about it anyway because it was so nice out. 

I got to the ranch early and cleaned in the ranch house (sweeping floors and wiping down counters and tables).  I also collected all the trash and recycle. 

Down at the barn, I noticed the nice job Susan and Jon had done on the wood entrance to the port-a-potty.  It was stained and had non-slip grips applied to the wood.     

Karen arrived and we went out to get our horses.  Banner was much farther away than Amiga.  Zorro was following Amiga and I, meanwhile Cowboy just continued eating. 








Zorro got a big drink of water when we got to the stock tank, but Amiga would not drink.  "You can lead a horse to water, but..." 


I snapped a quick photo of Karen on Banner coming out from the tower to the road.  We had a wonderful ride!  It's almost the middle of November and we were in t-shirts.  Unbelievable!  Both our horses did great, so relaxed, but also willing to go.  Zorro was not happy about being left behind.  Could he be jealous of Banner going out with Amiga?

Chores went quickly because Banner and Amiga were already in.  And Karen helped me with gates and feeding.

I scurried home and was soon back out picking up the pizza Patty had ordered and taking it to her house where we, and Cathy and Jamie enjoyed dinner together.
As usual, I was in bed with lights out at 8pm. 


Monday 11/13 - I am not sure what happened to the day, but it flew by quicker than expected, and I never made it to the gym.  

I did do a few little projects in the yard, more clean up and winterizing.  And then, on the way to the ranch, I stopped to clean up the side of this road I sometimes ride up.  There was a lot of trimming of tree branches
and little saplings growing on the side of the road that were blocking the way. 






I had parked here and worked my way down the hill.  Once finished, I took the first photo, looking back up the hill.  





It was 1:30 by the time I got to the ranch.  I brought Amiga in, and today she got a big long drink from the water trough.  Soon I had her saddled and ready to ride.  And we headed off in the direction of Scarborough Dr. to ride where I had cleared the side of the road up the hill.  In the map below, you can see the red line where I drew our route.  The green X is on the tan property plot that is Mountain View Ranch.


I took this (video) of us going up the hill on 
Scarborough Dr.  It was so much easier now that I could keep Amiga off on the side of the road where the footing is better.

We covered probably close to six miles in a little under two hours.  Amiga did fantastic, with no signs of being sore or lame.  She even gaited nicely for me in a several spots.

Stopping for a photo of the cart path beside the #13 T-box on Dorchester. 










And looking out towards the big drop-off that is the fun and challenge of this par 3 hole. 

This was taken on McDuff Dr. (the road across Westchester at Scarborough Dr.).  It is so typical of what some landscapers or tree removal people do to get rid of their 'trash,' which irritates me.  But at least it is compostable.  Just past this I saw two huge, old TVs and a bunch of insulation dumped into the woods.  That infuriates me.  Other than cleaning up after people, I'm not sure what else can be done.

Joe and I watched Suits before he turned to football and I turned in for the night.



Tuesday 11/14 - Early to bed / early to rise, gave me time for blogging, Facebook, e-mails, and puzzles. 

Around 7am I had the thrill of seeing Mr. Fox pass through the back yard again.  





He/she moves quickly and is difficult to get a photo of.  It's about in the middle of these two photos.

Rose has not shown up for the past three days.  I think she doesn't like to hang around when Kevin is here working, so she goes to her other 'home' wherever (whatever) that is. 

Joe had scheduled us for a luncheon presentation on estate planning that we needed to leave for at 10:40, so my morning was shot.  I took the opportunity to waste time until we had to leave, by working on the Halloween jigsaw puzzle.  I got a lot done. 

The presentation was longer than the hour we expected but lunch (salad, steak, potato, and asparagus) was great.  Both the food and the presentation gave us something to 'chew on.'

We were fairly certain we wanted to set up a trust, and the presentation solidified that for us.  We want to be sure our assets are protected if we become incapacitated and when we die, the assests can be passed on without judicial oversight or probate.  But we weren't sure we needed to spend the amount of $ this company was asking, to set it all up.  People tend to procrastinate on writing their wills, healthcare plan, trust, etc. and the salesman basically said 'today's the day,' but we decided to see what our attorney would charge for just setting up a revocable trust, since we had all the rest done early this year. 
 

Joe headed to the ranch and I hit Food City on the way home.  We had driven separately. 

Rose was waiting for me when I got home.  Yay.  I was cold, stuffed, and tired so put off leaf clean up and/or the gym and sat down with a cup of tea.  

I had actually changed into my gym clothes, but never left the house the rest of the day.  I guess today was not the day.  I just felt so full.  I didn't even eat dinner.  Joe and I watched two episodes of Suits cause I had no motivation to do anything else.


Wednesday 11/15 - Today was a repeat of Saturday morning, letting the horses out before 6am. 










And, like yesterday, I had some time in the early morning to 'kill' so got more of the jigsaw puzzle finished.  I am ready to go straight to a Christmas puzzle when this one is done. 




I was off to the gym at 9:00, did a quick shower there after a good workout, and met
Barb at the Center at 11:30 for the employee Thanksgiving dinner.







We finished the feast quicker than expected, so I didn't have to rush to get to the ranch.  I even had time to change clothes and pickup Maggie. 




I got a text from Katy (the chiropractor) that she was running late, so I got going on my mucking duties. 







While cleaning manure along the shop, I photographed Wanda getting a drink, then Maggie, and then Zorro, who had come in to quench his thirst.  Notice how low the pond is. 

I was stuffed from my big dinner, but moving around was helping.


I also took these four photos, showing our horses in various positions (in relation to each other) while they grazed happily in close proximity. 


























Before Katy arrived, Patty came out to help me get Amiga and Zorro in.  Cowboy loves following Patty around, always hoping for a treat.


Katy spent a good amount of time checking Zorro over again and re-adjusting the areas where calcium build ups needed breaking up and/or muscle memory had 'pulled' him back out of alignment. 

I captured this photo of Maggie playing with her jolly ball from this (video) Patty took. 

I headed out on a 45 minute ride and Patty and Maggie went up to the ranch house to rest and wait for chore time.  Patty took these next three photos from the ranch house. 







Maggie watching me ride Amiga up the drive, which I did at the end of our ride. 


Fall is fully upon us, and every day it is nice, I am going to try to ride, because winter is coming. 










To the far right of this photo, the mountain range is obscured by smoke because there was a fire on Renegade Mountain.


Patty's (video) of me riding back down to the barn.

According to the Crossville Chronicle: "Just before noon Fire crews arrived on scene on Renegade Mountain and found two multi-family condos on fire along with a large brush fire.  Multiple other structures were endangered by fire so a
pproximately 20 people had been evacuated."

Later, according to the crews on the scene: "The fire was 250 acres large and was 100% contained as of Wednesday night at around 7:45 p.m.  Though the fire threatened multiple structures, only the initial two multi-family buildings were lost to the fire." 

Phew, that could have been a lot worse.  We are desperate for rain no doubt. 


Thursday 11/16 - Today marks the ten year anniversary of when I officially moved here to the Glade, bringing Amiga, Kaysha, and Abby with me.  (Joe was back in IL working until he could retire in April 2014.)

I had a good workout at the gym, gassed up my car, and bought some finger food for the night's party. 




I arrived at the ranch just after noon, fetched Amiga, and headed out for a long ride.  I had planned to take the Holly Trail to Wildwood.  I had to move lots of branches and even one pretty good size tree to get through in some spots.  In this photo I am walking Amiga down the steep hill on the Glade side of the creek.  The slippery leaves made it a little precarious. 


The creek was bone dry, seen in this photo.  With the leaf covering, it was hard to see the rocks.  We carefully made our way across the dried creek bed. 












Then when I got up to the 14th Tee of Dorchester, we could not go any farther.  This tree was down over the trail, wedged between two trees, and unmovable.  And there was no way to get around it on the steep hill.  



So at this point Amiga and I had to turn around and head back the way we came.  I continued on foot, walking her back down the hill to the creek and up the steeper hill on the other side.  Oh well, it had been worth the try. 






So I devised a different route to ride.  I headed down Beachwood, past Scarborough Dr. and into the west woods on several dirt roads, one which went past #3 fairway of Dorchester golf course, seen in this photo.  It was so pretty out, and we were truly all alone.  

Amiga held up very well, considering she has been off Previcox for several days now, we were out for two hours, and she had navigated the hills and rocks on the Holly Trail. 




After taking care of Amiga and turning her back out, I went up to the house to get ready for the Saddle Sister party.  There were twelve of us total, gathered around the fire pit. 





And it
was a perfect fall night for a bonfire. 


 


Lots of finger food was brought and shared by everybody.  And lots of laughter and stories were shared too.  And we all enjoyed our drinks of choice that we had each brought.

Susan and Patty helped me pickup and we were the last to leave.  I was home by 7:30 and in bed shortly after that.  

Friday 11/17 - Back in 2014, for Courtney's Birthday surprise, Joe brought Zorro to FFG from Illinois.  He was kept in this quarantine stall at Wildwood for ten days.  And I got him out twice a day to let him graze and exercise.  This silly (video) of me exercising Zorro popped up today on my Facebook feed, from nine years ago.

With the warmest part of the day (63°) from noon to 2:00, I decided to skip the gym and get to the ranch early.  I was there by 11am. 






I cleaned in the ranch house, but it wasn't too bad because we kept the food (and people) outside during last night's party.

Then I got Amiga and rode her (bareback) in the round pen to see how she felt after our long ride yesterday.  She had no soreness and did great!


Next I saddled up Zorro and took him out for a short trail ride.  Katy (the chiropractor) said walking and even gaiting would be good for him.  So I thought, today's the day.  Katy had also mentioned that Zorro has a very long back.  Well, I noticed that his neck is also very long, as you can see especially in this 2nd photo. 

Zorro does not usually go out by himself, but was very willing and relaxed (video).  It started raining about halfway through our ride and Zorro got a little revved up.  I debated turning around or finishing our loop, but with his antics, decided to continue down the trail.  Well, while he was spinning and crow-hopping, he tweaked his hip and was then not walking on it normally.  Shoot!



I gave Zorro a Previcox when we got back to the barn and then watched him after turning him out in the paddock.  He was really wanting to roll. 


  




But Zorro was also favoring his right hip (video) and left stifle again.  I was thinking at least it wasn't as bad as two weeks ago, but I was still regretting that he had exacerbated it while I had been riding him.  Sometimes you just can't win.


It had only rained about ten minutes while we were out on the trail, but more was coming, so I decided to work until it did.  I was continuing to move leaves and the piles of rubbish (manure, sticks, and rocks) away from the paddock fence line and further into the woods so it wouldn't block drainage of water out from the paddock, if ever it rains again.

Joe's poker game broke up early, so we watched Survivor when he got home a little before 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment