Saturday, December 23, 2023

Chritmas Junkie

I am addicted to Christmas.

I love all things Christmas, but especially the wonderful sweet treats.  Let's face it, year round I am a cookie junkie, but I especially love the Christmas variety.

I also love Christmas decorations.  Junk if you will.  And as I put these festive accessories up all over the house, it actually starts feeling a little junkie.  But the house is bright and cheery and full of Christmas spirit.


Sunday 12/17 - My sister Cathy is a craft junkie, specializing in scrap-booking and card making.  We just got this beautiful card from her.  I liked it so much, I put it on the Christmas tree. 












I woke with sore elbows from all the leaf raking the afternoon before.  I enjoyed seeing the reflection of this deer down in the pond.  Its nice having water in the marshy area again.  


I did advent calendar
activities, both on my computer and working the jigsaw puzzle.  Monita actually hasn't been too big of a pest, trying to steal pieces and even fell asleep in this box next to where I was working. 








Among the usual housekeeping tasks, I also did more Christmas decorating.  First I took everything down from the shelves by the fireplace, cleaning as I went.  I was tucking knickknacks away in the cupboard near the TV and Stevie decided to hide in there at some point. 




Sundays and Wednesdays are my only two chore days at the ranch
(until spring).  When I went out to muck and feed, I first took some decorations to the ranch house.  It didn't amount to much; a festive table cloth, dish of Christmas chocolates, and I hung the mistletoe in the doorway.

It had rained off and on during the night and day so there was more manure in the paddock than usual.  Mostly the horses are staying out on the pasture, so there has been very little mucking to do.  Amiga was caked with mud, so I also brushed her to 'fluff' her hair, although it was still drizzling a little.

Monday 12/18 - I enjoyed a low key morning while listening to Christmas music as I computerized, gamed, and later decorated.  I got this far on my advent jigsaw and decided from here on out, if I do two days (zip lock packets of pieces) each day, I'd be done a day early (the 23rd) and could then start a different puzzle that the girls (Courtney, Britney, and Vale) could all help with.

I decided to switch things up a little bit, and use less Christmas junk to decorate with, in an effort to simplify the whole process.  But it is taking me longer as I move things around, trying to make up my mind.


On the Jacquie Lawson advent calendar there are opportunities to decorate different things.  In this room, I have done the tree, wreath, snowflakes, vase of flowers, figurines and some of the wall hangings.  It is much easier to decorate with the click of the mouse and dragging.  The program even allows you to do three samples and chose which one you want to display.

For example, here are my three Christmas trees.
I spent three hours at the gym, including aerobic exercise, weights, stretch and balance work, and a hot shower.  I had to go easy on some arm weights to protect my elbows.  I got copies of the Christmas letter Joe had written and it was feeding/supper time when I got home at 5:30.
The wind had really picked up mid-day and the temperature was plummeting.


Tuesday 12/19 - After a very windy night, I was disappointed to see many more leaves in our yard. 
Who needs a scarf when they have a heated neck warmer?  Mama Styx loves laying on my shoulders. 








She was happy sitting here while I did two days of my advent jigsaw puzzle, until I tried to take pictures.


It had been in the 20's for nearly 18 hours straight, so once it warmed above freezing (after lunch) Joe and I went to the ranch together to check things out.
The water spigots at the house and barn were all working!   








While Joe looked over the fencing at the back gates in the paddock, I helped Bonnie break and remove about ¾ inch thick ice from the water trough.  These characters followed Joe in from the back pasture. 

Notice above how Zorro tries to stay between Cowboy and Amiga.  He does the same thing with Banner, who in this next photo, and was happy to be able to get a drink from the water trough.

We weren't at the ranch long, and once home, I was able to finish decorating the fireplace wall.    It is an effort that only a Christmas Junkie can truly appreciate. 





We took Patty to Stonehenge for dinner but as has been common lately, I forgot to get a photo of us.  I won a free slice of pie because of my Christmas sweater.  Joe and Patty (not being the Christmas Junkie that I am) were not in festive attire. 

Our day ended with two hours of Suits, the fire going with cats and dog basking in it's warmth. 


Wednesday 12/20 - I got a little too side-tracked with advent calendar games, distracting me well into the late morning.  I started cleaning up in the guest bedrooms and finished last minute touches on most of the decorating before stowing away all the storage bins.

I was out at the ranch mid-afternoon because it is dark by 4:30.  I did more straightening up at the ranch house, in case we go out there on Christmas.     

After feeding, each horse was 'camped out' at their own pile of hay.  I usually put out six different piles. 


 

Driving home, the sky was so pretty, I had to stop in at Dorchester pool to get a photo. 



After a nice hot shower, I did some extra 'beauty' care on myself.  Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say beauty, but it was skin moisturizing and trimming all my nails.  Poker Joe got home early because his card game had 'broken up.'  We watched the three hour ending of Survivor.  Notice the glow of cat eyes behind the TV.  It was after 10:30 when I slipped into bed. 
 

Thursday 12/21 - Happy Winter Solstice.  Thanks goodness the days are going to start getting longer now. 

I didn't take any photos all day, but I did get all 53 of my Christmas cards completed.  I went to the post office on my way to the gym, and bought stamps and mailed most of the cards.

My workout did not go well.  It was later in the day and all I'd had for lunch was Frosted Mini-wheats.  I got very dizzy while on the elliptical (maybe dehydration and low nutrition) and could barely finish my hour (and HGTV program).  I skipped a weight workout and went shopping instead.  I keep an energy nut mix in the car, and that helped.

We were out of milk, the main reason behind my trip, but I also picked up quite a few other things, including some stocking stuffers.
   

Friday 12/22 - Pre-Christmas excitement was building and I was up earlier than usual, unable to get back to sleep.  Plus my long to-do list was tormenting me.

I just love the view out my windows... and today I watched something unusual.  Can you see what I saw on the 17th green? 





Here is a closer look at the same photo.  This big buck and cute fox were having a 'discussion' of sorts. 










I watched (and tried to get photos) of the two of them as they kind of circled each other, getting a closer look and accessing the level of danger and if each was a threat.

The buck would start to walk off and the fox would start to follow.  So the buck would turn back around to face the fox. 








They kind of circled around on the green a few times but eventually they both went on their separate ways.  It was so interesting and cool to be able to watch that. 




I had run out of our Christmas newsletter, so went to the Center to get more copies.  While there, I looked at all the decorations.  There were so many and it was so pretty I had to take a (video).   A Christmas Junkie's paradise. 
I was trying to take a selfie, when Mary Jo (My boss's boss, and the one who rescued Maggie off Chestnut Hill Road) came down the hall and offered to take my photo.  Wish I had been wearing more festive attire.

I added the letter to my remaining fourteen Christmas cards and dropped them off at the post office before heading into town to do last minute shopping.  I still had two more gifts to buy and a long list of groceries for the coming guests.

Well, while I was at Walmart, I got a call from Courtney.  She woke up feeling sick and tested positive for Covid.  That news completely took the wind out of my sail.  I was so bummed.



Not only did I feel horrible for Courtney, who would be missing some or most of our Christmas gathering, but I was feeling sorry for myself.  This really threw a wrench in our plans.
Courtney was supposed to be picking Britney up at the airport in several hours, and they were both going to come here Christmas Eve.  Now what?  Did I need to be buying lots of groceries or not? 

Daniel ended up getting Britney and taking her to their house.  This turned out to be nice for Britney, who could now spend more time visiting with Ava. 




Courtney on the other hand felt sick, sad, and unsure of what her Christmas plans (if any) would come to fruition.  Wahhhh
Seen right, Ava's frustration expresses exactly how we can all get this time of year.  Christmas can sure have it's ups and downs. 


Ava is kind of shy but here she is finally smiling.
Vale had  posted several photos of our cute granddaughter. 


I was running very late and no longer in the mood, so skipped the Christmas sing-along at the Center.  I unloaded, sorted, organized and stowed everything I had bought, but was too tired to start wrapping gifts.
 

Saturday 12/23 - Monita trying to get my Christmas goodies during my second cup of tea at 4am.  I had woken at 3:00, unable to get back to sleep, so started my day.  I got sleepy before sun-up, so laid down on the couch to maybe catch another hour or two of sleep.  But the wheels were turning in my head and after about five minutes, I decided the train of thoughts, clamoring down the tracks, would not let me get to sleep after all.  




I absolutely had to make myself get to the gym, but because I was meeting Karen at the ranch a little after noon, it meant cutting my morning short to be sure I had time to workout.  Each time I’ve gone recently, it seems the workouts are more and more difficult, probably because I haven't been going very often.  Knowing what a struggle it’s going to be, makes it that much harder to get myself to go.  But the less I go, the more I struggle when I do go.  So the dilemma continues. 

Karen and I enjoyed a wonderful ride and were both glad we stuck it out.  When we had first got started down the trail, we got sprinkled on, the rain being a complete surprise.

Zorro waiting at the gate for dinner when we rode back onto the ranch.  Cowboy was milling around also.  








I was cold and tired and looking forward to a long hot shower.  But my gas tank hit empty while driving home and I still had last minute groceries (fresh produce and some forgotten items) to buy. 







I quickly walked Maggie and then was back on the road, heading to Waggles and Food City. 

We were getting photos and videos from Nashville, and I was delighted to see the fun Britney was having with Ava.

I was really dragging by the time I'd gotten home with groceries, fixed dinner and cleaned up afterwards.  Exhaustion hit, I had no more to give, and went to bed at 8pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment