Friday, February 9, 2024

Balter

 This week began with some 'balter' and it was so nice to get back into the groove; to move to the music without care, reluctance, or inhibition.  


To me, when I dance, it rarely feels like my balter is too barbaric.  And I can say with certainty, it is usually shameless.  I dance as if no one is watching and do so with much enthusiasm and enjoyment. 









There is a lot to be said for dancing, and I highly recommend it.  Don't worry about what you are doing or how you look, just enjoy moving to music.  It is also a great way to exercise.  I really like how
Misty Tripoli, founder of Body Groove Dance Fitness, approaches exercise with dance (video).  And, according to many studies, dance doesn't just benefit the body, it does great things for the MIND.

Saturday 2/3 - Stevie enjoying the space heater on a cool morning, but on guard when Monita entered the scene. 











There was a big herd of deer in back, but they were moving around so much it was hard to get an accurate count. 


My left knee and hip had been hurting during the night so I decided not to do a leg workout or the elliptical and instead went to the line dance class at the gym.  It was a lot of fun.  I struggled with doing one eight-count turn so just made up my own style that felt right (more doable) to me.  A little balter while line dancing don't ya know.

After lunch I went to the ranch.  When I got there, Patty was busy filling in pot holes in the drive. 







Karen was picking up sticks and Susan and Bonnie were working with Cowboy in the round pen.  I love all the people and activity returning back out to the ranch in this nice weather. 




Susan and Bonnie put training on hold so Patty and Karen could use the mounting block. 











I got the ladies to pose for me while they waited.  I love that Wanda had to get in the photo.  I really think she likes the increased activity out at the ranch also.


I had opened gates to the side pasture and back pasture so we can go up the lane and down the alley between the front pasture and yard and ride around in the fields.  So that's were we went first. 



I took Patty's photo and then she took mine.






Before heading back down the drive, we rode over to the chicken run to see how the horses and chickens would react to each other.  The chickens were hoping for treats and the horses were un-impresssed.
 


Next we headed out for a ride on the trail.  We checked up on the 'lumber jack' activity and nothing new had changed.  Although upon closer inspection, the pine tree that was across the road had been cut down (not fallen down) and hauled to this spot because there was no sawed off stump in the woods.  Very suspicious. 




After our ride, I scurried home to wash my hair so it could dry before going out.  Joe left for Nashville to see a concert (Three Dog Night) with Courtney.  I finished off this thrift store cookie puzzle.  It had been a lot of fun, but ended up having two pieces missing. 




Micki (and her friend Richard) picked me up and then we got Sherri.  Us three Amigas were ready to rock and roll.  Richard was our designated driver.  He has Elmo and two Snoopys strapped in, on his back seat.  So cute. 








Richard dropped us off at Reds and soon the fun began.  This is the only serious photo of us three Amigas, along with Randi, that we could get.  






This is as close as we got to serious with a photo of just the three of us.  Several other shots that were taken are included to give you an idea of the fun and craziness we were having. 





 


















Most of the ladies in our group enjoyed dancing and none hesitated to get up and get their boogie on.  And boy was there a lot of balter happening. 


 







Below is a photo of the whole table of us twenty ladies.


We five (pictured with Penny the DJ) ended up closing the night of singing and dancing down.  Seen left to right are: Elaine, Penny, Micki, Randi, Sherri, and myself.

Richard took us three original riders, and Elaine, home.  I was in bed just after 11pm.


Sunday 2/4 - Today was Dan and Vale's 2nd anniversary.   Happy Anniversary!

I was up at 5:30, a little short on sleep, but got to see this beautiful sunrise as I walked the dog.  I felt great except with some very achy knees and the usual stiffness I experience every morning. 





During my third cup of tea, after I got this blog started, and as I was trying to get motivated to get moving, I saw this fox pass through the backyard. 





The poor thing was nearly three legged lame, rarely putting weight on its back left leg. 

With the
gloomy skies and lack of sleep I was thinking about a nap.  But it was nearing chore time so I went to the ranch.  Patty was there, and we decided against horsing around because it was rather chilly with the breeze and no sunshine.


I cleaned up the pile of soiled hay (
that the horses have been sleeping on, peeing on and pooping in) from the back pasture.  I spread it over the dirt on both sides of the gate to the back pasture in hopes of making it less slippery (when wet) and to hold the dirt in place. 






Patty excavated some debris from the paddock that was partially above ground.  This is all the crap she dug up. The car emblem is from a 68 Chevy.  I hate that our paddock dirt is washing away, unearthing more crap that is obviously buried out there.  This is partly why I'm spreading soiled hay over the paddock ground,  trying to prevent more erosion.


Silly Wanda follows us around while we worked and fed in the paddock, barn, and yard.  As we were finishing up, she got up on top of this little manure pile (left from when the snow made it too difficult to push the wheel barrow to the back of the dam) and laid down in it.  She proceeded to take a nap and was there when I left for the day.  I reckon it produces some heat. 










I had soup with salad for supper, to warm up.  Then I did household chores.  I have more to do on Sunday, with trash collection and watering plants added to my feeding and litter box tasks.


Monday 2/5 - All I have are ranch photos for today.

I got to the gym early for a two hour workout so I could get to The Skillet restaurant by 11am.  Jan, Karen and I enjoyed a very nice, leisurely lunch together.  It is always so good to see friends and catch up on life.

Then I scurried home to regroup and was back out the door in under 30 minutes, heading to the ranch.  Karen, Patty and I had a wonderful ride on another beautiful spring-like day.  




Riding back to the ranch, I split off from the group and took Amiga through the power-line area. 










Looking down towards Wildwood pastures, there was not a cloud in the sky.


Amiga's leg wraps got rather muddy riding through the swampy creek area, so I hosed them off and then let her graze while they dried off some. 










Joe arrived with Maggie, who loves Karen.  While Karen did horse chores, Patty, Joe and I worked on some other tasks (picking up sticks, moving gravel, cleaning dead growth from flower pots and garden, and putting manure in the raised beds).

The sun was so nice and warm, but the breeze did make it a little chilly. 







Wanda lovin' on and wantin' some lovin' from Maggie. 







Karen helped us up at the house as we got the yard and beds cleaned up and prepared for the bonfire.  None of us took any photos though. 






The wind made it a tad cold and difficult to get everybody around the fire.  But we had Patty, Karen, Susan, Bonnie, Joe, Shirley, Judy, Kathy, and Jamie all gathered around (eating, drinking, and chatting).

There had been no balter, but there was plenty of banter, and a good time was had by all. 

Tuesday 2/6 - I was sad to read that Toby Keith, who's song ("Don’t Let the Old Man In") I linked to in last week's blog, lost his battle to stomach cancer last night.  Just 62 years young.

Today's only photos were during an evening walk. 

I got to the gym later than usual, at 11:30, because I had been busy with different emails, communicating various items of business. 







After a hefty 2+ hour workout, and a big salad for lunch, I tended to housekeeping tasks. 





I fed the fur-babies early so I could get in a good walk before dark. 
Maggie and I delighted in being out, enjoying fresh air and exercise (video).  She found three golf balls during our 90 minute walk.  I had to take each ball away from her because she gets so preoccupied playing with them that the walk is impeded significantly. 

Joe and I watched three episodes of Suits. 


Wednesday 2/7 - Today it was early to the gym so I could get to the ranch early.  Karen and I rode, with she taking Zorro.  The 60° temperature was wonderful, especially with the sun shining.  We first rode to Castle Circle to check on the 'tree situation' and this time the large tree that was kind of blocking the road, was completely blocking the road (lower photo).  Branches had been cut from it and a big section had gotten pulled farther across the road.  We had to turn around. 





 

Once back, I had over an hour before feeding time, so I worked on clearing the fence line of sticks and leaves and raking the drainage ditches.  Time got away from me because it is staying light so much later, so I scampered to feed horses before dark, and then get home to feed the crew here.


Thursday 2/8 - I took a day off from the gym so that I could get to the ranch early and get some work done before the rain came.

I worked for over three hours raking a path in the woods behind the paddock as a start to making a riding trail back there.  I had to walk it in small sections first to see the best way to navigate around downed trees and two small creek beds. 




Needing to rest my elbows, I then took Amiga for a ride, but it was a little later than intended.  First we
rode a loop in the back pasture (top photo) so I could see how it looked after Joe drug it to break up manure.  It looked much better.  And then (next photo) I rode the fence line of the side pasture.  Look how well the grass has taken root where I seeded the high traffic area. 








It had clouded up, the wind had picked up, and it was now a tad cold.  The 'boys' had followed us along the fence line while I was riding Amiga next to it and then they were kind of congregating there.

I let Zorro say hi to his sister and then I headed her down the drive and out the back gate.  She tried me to see if I was serious about leaving the ranch and it was a short 'discussion' before she chose to cooperate. 

I rode Castle Circle from the opposite direction we usually go, to see if the 'lumber jacks' had been up to any more activity.  Nope, the road was still blocked (lower photo) so I turned Amiga around and headed back. 



Suddenly, headlights appeared and were approaching us.  I had my orange 'don't shot me' vest on so was easy to see.  It was a 4-wheeler, driven by a nice, older gentleman with a dog.  He shut off his 'scary for Amiga' machine, we chatted, and then parted ways.  I had warned him about the blocked road and he said he has used the winch on his 4-wheeler to pull trees off the road in these back woods before.  Interesting.



This shows a view through the woods of neighboring fields that butt up to Fairfield Glade.  Our back ranch pasture looks similar from Hathaway or Marmaduke.

I took a long hot shower once home because I had really gotten cold.  The temperature was dropping and you could tell rain was coming.  Three episodes of Suits in front of a warm fire was a perfect way to end the day.
 


Friday 2/9 - It was gloomy, much colder, and rained most the day.  I had a work meeting at 8am, hit Food City at 10:15, and made it to the gym before 11:00.  Once home, I got confirmation from Teresa (Joe and Patty's sister) that she would be my roommate on a cruise I had booked to join Patty, Shirley and Judy.  This photo, from a 2018 cruise, was when Teresa cruised with us and was my wonderful cabin mate.  You can be sure there will be plenty of balter a year from now when we five are on the Celebrity Equinox in the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment