Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Attractive Nuisance

I know that an attractive nuisance is typically things on your property that attract children to come explore and play, and pose a risk to their safety, especially when they are too young to appreciate the danger. 
But for adults (or myself anyway), junk food rates as an attractive nuisance and is why I try not to have much of it here at the house.  This (video) explains the hazards of junk (processed) food to your body, although I don't understand why salad was mentioned, unless it is made with macaroni, or has lots of cheese and dressing. 

Why Joe buys a bunch of junk food just before leaving town for five days, I do not know.  But the temptation is real and I can’t resist the stuff.  As much as I know I should stay away from it, I help myself.  This is partly because junk and fast food are quick and easy, but also because they are addicting... you can't eat just one.  

Another attractive nuisance for many, is
social media.  We spend hours at our computer or other devices; posting and viewing media, and interacting with others.  And this can be deadly if doing so while driving.  

Saturday 3/16 - After a normal (but better than usual lately) workout, I took Maggie to the ranch.  I did some chicken chores, and then when Karen arrived we brought Banner and Amiga in.  Zorro and Cowboy followed us, and while Amiga was getting a drink, Wanda laid in the shade with Zorro.  Guess they were cooling off. 






My sweet, silly horse, standing in the barn while I was grooming and tacking-up, quite relaxed.  I just love her goofy lower lip.  Patty arrived to feed just as Karen and I were mounting up and heading out. 





It was warm enough to ride in short sleeves, although a little cold when in the shade heading into the slight breeze.

We feel like this tree (across our favorite riding route) is kind of settling and getting more difficult to duck under.  It has been a nuisance, but we are kind of attracted to the challenge of getting past it.  We're not sure what else we can do about it.   


 



We had a great ride although Amiga got very unruly (barn sour) on our last mile back to the barn.  It was past her dinner time, which is when this bad behavior tends to happen.


When we got back to the barn, I should have worked Amiga in the round pen or made her stand for awhile hitched in the barn, but we were in a hurry to get home for dinner, so she got fed right away.

Karen had invited Patty and I over for soup and sandwich, which we really enjoyed.













Maggie did not have her 'after dinner' walk until I got home.  I thought it was hilarious that she decided to poop right here.  Zoom in to look at the sigh in back of her. 
Are warning signs or 'do not do something' signs an attractive nuisance?  Do they act more like a 'I dare you' kind of message? 







I had done well with food consumption today, and then after our walk, I had ice-cream and peanut brittle for dessert.  Like this horse, I can't resist temptations.  And I could easily see my Amiga doing this.  She is always trying to grab a bite to eat.  We are kindred spirits in more ways than this.


Sunday 3/17 - Happy St. Patrick's Day!
I got this blog started, which took a good part of the morning,  and then headed to the ranch at 10am.
My first order of business was to let Tiny out in the chicken yard.  While I was cleaning out her 'isolation cage,' she had decided to sun for a bit, right in the doorway.  And she didn't move when I stepped over her to leave, so of course I got concerned and picked her up to check her injuries.  She is still sore under and around her back left leg, but it looked no worse.


Next I went for a ride on Amiga, going bareback to work on my leg strength and balance.  But also I wanted to work on leg cues with her, especially the halt, because she has been difficult the past few rides.  I need Amiga to tune into me, listen, and respond correctly to what I am asking.  When she gets her own agenda in mind, we often have a 'disagreement.'

I worked Amiga in the round pen first and then, while riding up the lane to go around the back and side pastures, the three black boys appeared from the neighboring field.  They often make Amiga excited, so I took this opportunity to get her to stand quietly while watching them.  It didn't come easily, but eventually she did calm down. 





I also took Amiga out on the trials for a short loop.  I rode her for
over an hour, but honestly, I don't think I made much of an impression.  Every little bit helps though. 

Our three boys, who heard us coming back by way of the new trail in the woods, came racing (at a gallop) into the paddock.  Again I had the opportunity to ask Amiga to calm down as the boys raced by, along the fence line at the dam. 





These two photos and (this video) were taken later when I returned Amiga to the front pasture.  I hate having to put the grazing muzzle on her.  It is not attractive and is a big nuisance to Amiga. 






I sat with Maggie and Wanda, out in the sun, and ate my sack lunch.  I also pulled a few weeds from around the barn and shed.  Then I grabbed my rake, shovel, pruners, and big loppers and walked a mile down the woodland trail to work where Patty and I had stopped last Thursday.  I was wondering how wet it would be after Friday's rain. 

Some of the deep holes the horse hooves had made through the top layer of ground, now showed the water level below, which was much higher.  And the swampy area next to the trail was much wetter.  We could not see water in this area (photo below) last Thursday, but it is now back again, until it dries up. 

I used the shovel to fill in holes on the newer trail, on higher ground, that Patty and I had made as a way to get around the swampy part of the trail.








I also continued working on the trail going towards Jem's back corner gate, where it will pick up the trail that goes out to Marmaduke. 



It was slow going because it was so chocked up with briars and dead trees.  By 4:00, having worked almost three hours I made the almost  20 minute (1 mile) walk back to the barn.  The horses were waiting for me to feed them dinner.  While they ate, I cleaned up one manure pile and dumped it behind the dam with these weeds. 

I shut Tiny back in her 'cage' and got home well before 6pm, but the cats acted like I was late for dinner time.


Monday 3/18 - The baby chicks and ducklings at the farm stores every spring are definitely an attractive nuisance.  I don't even tempt myself and stay away from this aisle. 

I was kind of a home-body and it was a bit of a do-nothing day.  I had been at the ranch from 10-6 on Sunday, so today was my day of rest.  I was researching and preparing for the up-coming four day event, Road To The Horse. 







As I sat here, I enjoyed life outside my window.  There is a wood duck pair that eat the cracked corn, swim in the pond, and sit in the tree down back.  This is not my photo, it was taken by local resident, Kathy Koch Upp, but is similar to what I get to observe sometimes. 
 

Joe got home from Iowa just as I was leaving for the gym at 1pm.  I was there until 4:00, getting in a great workout and a long, hot shower. 

I think cats, especially Monita, see everything as attractive, but then she becomes a nuisance trying to get to what allures her, or explore places she doesn't belong.  




Monita loves to play fetch and brings me toys while I'm reading in bed.  And I of course throw them for her to go get. 


 






Monita doesn't always want to quit her game when I do.  In this photo she is waiting for me to throw the mouse again. 

Joe and I had watched an hour of Survivor and one episode of Suits, so I was not up for playing fetch with Monita very long.
 

Tuesday 3/19 - The Spring Equinox was a day early because of Leap Year.  Yesterday had been a lot colder (and windy) than previous days, but this morning's dog walk the temperature was even lower (at 22°). 








How much my animals curl up and/or snuggle is usually a good indicator of how cold it is. 


This morning, Mr. Fox was rubbing up against this tree, probably urinating on it, marking his territory.

He then jauntily trotted off. 








I chose to skip the gym, being sore in many areas after yesterday's workout, and instead would get some exercise working in and around the house and at the ranch.  But Joe and I both agreed to wait until after lunch, to let it warm up, before going out. 



The sun was out, but with 55° temps and some wind, it still was not very warm, but I let Tiny out of confinement.  One of the other hens was on a nest so I left her in with Tiny.  I took this photo as I was leaving, and they both seemed to be getting along okay. 

Karen had reported the day before, that Amiga seemed fairly lame on her front left leg, so next I went to see how she was doing.


It was hard to tell what was hurting Amiga while hand walking her, so the easiest way for me to assess the problem, was to get on her and see how she felt.  She was definitely more sore than when I had ridden her Sunday.  I did a short, slow ten minute loop.  Hills and turns were where I could really tell she was off.  At a straight walk, she wasn't bad.

Joe arrived and helped with the trail some, but the chain came off the saw (the better chain saw was in the shop getting sharpened) and he didn't have the tool with him to fix it.  So we then worked with loppers and rake. 

I worked another hour after Joe left, and then met up with Bonnie and Dave, who were doing chores, when I got back to the barn.  Bonnie checked out Amiga and we could both clearly see her back right stifle was very tight and sore.  We rubbed liniment ointment on it and she will have at least five days to rest it, unless she decides to run around like a crazy girl.

The day ended with Joe and I watching Suits, the last three episodes of season six, a good place to stop for awhile.  


Wednesday 3/20 - Watching Road To The Horse live footage on Facebook ended up being an attractive nuisance.  I wasted too much time watching the unloading of the Percherons, later the Remuda fillies coming off their trailer and much later the geldings being unloaded.  I finished laundry, got all my stuff packed, and even conditioned my two pair of boots I was taking.  I also vacuumed in the three litter box areas and cleaned up the two cat feeding stations.

Then I was off to do chores.  I had not had time for the gym, but I must say, I enjoyed watching all the horse videos.

Tiny had been out with the other five girls all afternoon.  I checked her over and did not see any evidence of her getting picked (pecked) on.  And she is even starting to grow tail feathers. 









Under her wing you can see the white skin here also starting to get feathers.  The dark area below my thumb is her muscle that has gotten hard and dry.  Without skin, she will not grow feathers, so I guess it will remain a bare spot.  Thankfully her wing covers it.

Cowboy licking the salt block after he ate.  Once Amiga was done, I tried getting a Previcox down her (she has gotten difficult to trick into eating it) and then I massaged liniment ointment into her stifle.

In a way, I guess, a horse can be an attractive nuisance.  They are so beautiful, desirable to have, and yet expensive and a big responsibility.  When we  see them, we want to interact with them and ride them, but unless you know what you are doing, a horse can be dangerous... yes, an attractive nuisance.

No comments:

Post a Comment