Friday, March 15, 2024

Nature My Church

According to Google, this phrase has become popular because people today experience in nature what they previously experienced in the church.  In other words, that it is in nature – and not in traditional religion – that they find a sense of sacredness, authenticity, purpose and stillness. 
Riding my horse out in the woods is my spiritual place.  It calms me, relaxes me, and gives me peace.  It’s also a time where I connect with God.  I love the earth, wind, water, and sunshine.  The wildlife scampering about, trees and other vegetation, sunny or stormy skies; it's all part of the experience.  I spend as much time out doors as possible, so with the coming of spring, I am thrilled to have more opportunity to be outside.  Everyday spent in nature, draws me to God, (not just Sundays at church).
I know using nature as my church is kind of a cop-out though.  Chris Stefanick responds about having nature as your church:  "When you focus on God in that direct and profound way, guess what, that doesn’t take away from your experience of God and creation.  It helps you see it even more clearly.  You come out here and you see him in all his glory.  Here we get the fingerprints of God in creation. But in church — the Body of Christ — you get Him directly." 




Part of the reason I love Sacred Encounters worship service, out in the Pavilion at the United Methodist Church, is because I can enjoy God's creation while worshiping Him.  I know how important Christian fellowship is and that church is a good place to serve God.  So I need to get back to attending regularly.
 


Saturday 3/9 - It was a rainy, cloudy day and looked nothing like this photo shows a day later.  But I put this photo here to show how closely connected to nature I am, even when sitting inside.  I have a great view of the wonderful outdoors from my desk.  I sat here finishing and posting last week's blog, among other things, and then went to the gym from 11:30 - 2:00. 





I got home not feeling motivated to do much, so had a cup of tea and put in a few hours of work on this puzzle.  I also got two loads of laundry done, except for folding the 2nd load, and ran the dishwasher.  To end the day, Joe and I watched Survivor, which was two hours long this week. 


Sunday 3/10 - We had freezing temperatures overnight and early morning, but it was great to see the sunshine.  I took this photo shortly after the other one I posted Saturday morning; Babe in the hammock, Monita on the ladder, and Stevie on the bench.

I made good progress on this puzzle, brand new from Cathy at Christmas.  So why is it missing a piece (which I never found)? 








Yup, that is Monita's little paw.  I have to guard my puzzles carefully while working them, and can't even let down my guard long enough to take a photo.  I cover the puzzle with a big sheet of cardboard when not working it. 


If you can’t get outside to relish nature, I guess the best way to enjoy or experience it, is to sit in a sunny window, looking out and appreciating it this way. 







Don’t let this beautiful sunshine be too deceiving.  It was cold out because of the strong wind and it was only 45°.  So, I remained inside until 1:30. 



I went to the ranch early afternoon, fully intending to ride.  Well, with the very strong wind, it would be just too unpleasant sitting on Amiga, even though I had under-armor, sweatshirt, jacket, hat and gloves on.  Plus, it was maybe a little dangerous being under the trees.  Daffodils by the back gate to the woods. 





I did chicken chores, re-filled feed and supplement bins, and mucked the paddock, but because it was too early for feeding time, I did work on our woodland trail.  I needed the exercise and it was a good way to stay warm while enjoying the outdoors. 










After clearing the spiral moss by pulling it up by its root (I was going to try transplanting it but decided it was too much trouble) I took these two photos.  Then I worked on the trail going through the woods near the fence on the NE side of our back pasture.





This map gives you an idea of the trail work.  Yellow are the existing trails, red is the new (nearly completed) trail, and blue is the trail currently under construction. 
I will take the new trail down to Jem's gate where it will meet up with the trail we use to take into the original undivided property.

The longer day light fooled me and I worked until 5:00.  I fed the horses who were waiting and ready and then scurried home.  More mouths were fed and several household chores completed and then I enjoyed a very long, hot shower.


Monday 3/11 - The only photos I took today were out at the ranch, and I didn't even get any of Karen and I riding.

I finished the puzzle, was at the gym from 9-12, and at the ranch by 1:30. 







Wanda was being very friendly and loving as usual.

Karen and I enjoyed a nice relaxing ride.  This time she was on Zorro.  It was still kind of cold at 55°, but the sun was nice and warm.
 


Mountain View Ranch with horses. 

Karen helped me spray Red with Blue-Kote on all her bare areas.  Most of her wounds are closed up so hopefully wound care will no longer be necessary.

Banner tends to stick to himself much of the time, and he is okay with being on his own.  But he does like to keep the other three in view.




The Three Amigos, even though one is an Amiga. 😆


Joe grilled stir-fry so we enjoyed a yummy dinner together.  Then we watched three episodes of Suits.

Tuesday 3/12 - With the vet coming sometime after 12:30, I decided to skip the gym and get my workout clearing trail.  Joe was willing to give me some help on the 'larger' jobs, so at 10:00 we hit the trial, with our project supervisor observing.  I thought we could push over this dead tree that was beside the trail and a possible hazard in my opinion.  Well, we ended up using  chain saw and rope to encourage it to 'fall down.'

 Joe and I walked the 'finished' trail and removed some more larger stumps with the chainsaw that were trip hazards. 


Then, Joe and I continued on, walking the newer trail that is still under construction.  Joe helped me clear another dead tree and other larger growth (little trees and branches) that I couldn't remove with my big loppers. 
Once Joe had spent enough time and energy, he headed home with Maggie.  I continued, raking the newest trail as I progressed with it through the woods.


I got the text from the vet that he was on his way, so left my tools in the woods and headed towards the barn, walking through our back pasture. 

We had quite the collection of cars and people by the time Dr. Perry arrived.  Having gotten the fecal float results (Amiga and Zorro were both negative, Banner was a moderate shedder, and Cowboy was a heavy shedder) we got an individual worming plan for all four horses. 
 









Once Amiga had gotten her blood draw for her Coggin's test and her 6-way vaccine, I hopped on bareback to get her moving.  This helps with 'distribution' of the vaccine into her system.  I took her down and back on the new trail, to as far as I had gotten clearing it along Jem's field.  Then I rode up our lane and around our side and back pastures. 



While riding along Jem's fence line, a white thing, up on a tree caught my eye.  I tried a closer photo, zooming in on it, but even enlarged on my computer I can't make out what it is.  It looks like a miniature white ghost of a person.  LOL.  It's probably just dead wood or trash. 

I put a grazing muzzle on Amiga, who was not happy about it at all.  I ate lunch while chatting with Bonnie and Susan and then headed back out into the woods to work. 
 


Later, at feeding time, the ladies reported that Amiga was glad to get the muzzle off.  My poor girl, I wish I didn't have to do this, but it is for her own good.

Time got away from me as usual and it was almost 6pm when I was walking back to the barn.  I took this photo from our woodland trail as the sun was setting in the west, but the sky was still plenty light.
 


Amiga is always the first to be aware of danger and spotted me from the distance while the boys just kept grazing.  

I arrived home at 6:30, did cat feeding chores, and got cleaned up, removing one tick I discovered crawling up my belly.

While relaxing with beer and popcorn and watching three episodes of Suits with Joe, I kept thinking I felt ticks crawling on me, but no more were discovered.
 


Wednesday 3/13 - I hit the gym from 9:30-12 and was at the ranch with Maggie before 1:00.  I went straight to the chicken coop to put the temporary fence across and let Red (who's name is actually Tiny) out of confinement.  
She was happy to get out and enjoy nature. 









I am keeping her isolated from the other five still, because I don't want them pecking her and causing more injury.  She really seemed to want to join them... all in good time Tiny Red.

Patty and Karen arrived as I was finishing with the chickens and we were fairly quick to catch horses, saddle up, and hit the trail.  Notice Maggie tagging along behind Banner as we rode down the new trail.  Amiga and I led all the way to the end where it is still under construction.  When we got to the very low, valley like spot, (where I had discovered holes that went through to water underneath the ground while working earlier) Zorro and Banner both sunk through to the water during several steps.  Amiga, being smaller and lighter, only did in a few spots.  



So yep, in addition to needing to be finished, the trail still needs plenty of cosmetic work.

We rode another 40 minutes and then headed back down our woodland trail, where we met up with Polly on Rio.  I was so glad Polly was trying out our new trail.  Patty took this (video) just before we 'ran into' Polly.  At the very end of the video, you can hear Polly in the distance give us a shout out. 








Amiga was very excited to see Rio and after we went our separate ways (in opposite directions), Amiga was being very difficult to handle, and that resulted in getting Zorro revved up.  So, when we got to the main trail that goes to our back gate, we turned away from home and rode back out onto Hathaway. 




We headed down the power line since the wires weren't 'buzzing' like they often do during high electrical usage.  Amiga eventually calmed down and I got her to stand while taking a photo of Patty, while she was taking our photo. 











Back at the barn, we did horse care and other stuff.  I fed horses while Patty and Karen went on the gator to check out the blocked trail at Eli Ford. 


I caught a quick (video) of Maggie really enjoying life at the ranch.  I know animals enjoy creation and nature too.

Leaving the ranch, we three stopped in at the chicken coop to put Tiny Red back and to trim wing feathers of the others because Gloria had been found on the wrong side of the fence by Bonnie and Susan a few days ago.
 


Thursday 3/14 - Who's that lookin' at me?
It promised to be another beautiful day, but the cloud cover was a little too thick for much sunshine.  Joe backed out of our plan to put up duck and bird houses cause he got an invite to golf before leaving town.  So I decided to go ride and while at the ranch, work on our trail in the afternoon (since Patty was willing to help with that).  This meant a gym workout would be
skipped.


My neighbor's cat, in a confrontation with Mr. Fox, who kept circling and getting closer.



I decided to get a (video) and caught the end of it, with the cat 'chasing' Mr. Fox away. 








I am glad 'nobody' got hurt in this nature encounter, not even the ducks who flew into the water at the end of the video.  But I hope Mr. Fox was able to get breakfast somehow, maybe a squirrel or chipmunk.
 

I had a big brunch and was at the ranch at 10:00.  When I checked on Tiny Red, I discovered she had pecked herself raw behind her tailbone. 









So I had to Blue-Kote her again.  The poor girl, just won't leave herself alone.  Do they make chicken cones?







Next, I went for a much needed ride on Amiga.  She may not always be an angel, but she is beautiful, magnificent, powerful, and I love being with her.  She helps me bond to nature and connect with God.


To end our slow, relaxing, peaceful ride, I returned to the ranch by way of Eli Ford.  I took this (video) having noticed gator tracks on that path back.  There continue to be mysteries out in the back woods of Fairfield Glade. 







Once back on our property, I rode Amiga around our side pasture.  I noticed Tiny Red laying down in her little separate chicken yard. 







She popped right up though, when I stopped Amiga to get these photos.  






Patty arrived and cleaned some brushes as I finished up with Amiga, putting the grazing muzzle back on before turning her out. 





Then we went out into the woods to do more trail work.  Patty took this photo of our project supervisor.  We figured and cleared a new route, on higher ground, to avoid the lower, swampy like ground where the horses sunk in so much. 




After two hours of working, we called it quits and I was quick to head home to get ready for a night out.  Joe made it to Louisville and I went to Rumors with Brian, Joan, Debbie, and Kathy.  We enjoyed food, drink, Karaoke, and a little bit of dancing.


Friday 3/15 - This morning's wildlife photo is of a herd of ten deer (six in this image) grazing across the pond on the apron of the #17 green. 

I managed to whittle away the whole morning here at my computer. 😩  Some of the time was spent with organizational stuff, and also I did research and blogging.  But there was too much time spent on Facebook and surfing the Internet. 

The Lenten Rose (below) is blooming now.

After a late, hardy lunch, I headed into town to do my big bi-monthly shopping trip.  As often is the case, by the time I got home with all my purchases, and got them unloaded and put away, I had lost motivation and steam, and decided to skip the gym again for the second day in a row.  Besides, it would be closing in less than two hours, not enough time for a good workout.  I really need to get there first thing in the morning.  I did do needed 'clean up' around the house, including some stain-spot removal from cat accidents. 

I also decided to rake some of the debris out of the creek and end of the pond because it makes it so swampy you can’t really walk in it and vegetation starts growing and blocking my view of the water.  The gunk was too wet and heavy to dispose of, so I left it on the bank to dry out some.

After I and all the critters had dinner, I took Maggie on a nice long walk, to finish my day out in nature.  I plan to transition from elliptical work to long walks and hikes as the weather improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment