Friday, April 19, 2024

Barn Sour

Barn sour is a term used by horsemen to describe a horse that doesn't want to leave home, presenting resistance.  Or the horse might willingly leave the barn, but as soon as she's turned toward home, she starts power walking back or grabs the bit and bolts for home.  She's in a hurry because she thinks the barn is the greatest place in the world. 

Recently, I have come to realize that I am as barn sour as my mare sometimes is.    

It seems like Joe and I have been on the go a lot lately, and it’s with conflicted feelings that I leave home to travel elsewhere. 




I like my home and being here, and I like my barn and hanging out there also. 

Amiga is also very relaxed and happy to be in her stall or tied to a post in the barn.  So it's not so much that she is buddy sour.  She just likes the barn where she feels safe and can relax.  She is especially 'barn sour' at feeding time and really rushes to get back if I ride late in the afternoon before she's been fed.

Saturday 4/13 - I was at the ranch just after 6:30am to let the horses out into the pasture.  I went up to the house to gather linens and took this photo.  There are four horses visible, but the two Pasos are hidden in the shadows. 









I noticed that Patty had gotten some things planted in the garden.

 
Mary had washed the sheets and towels so all I had to do was throw them into the dryer.

Next I mucked the paddock and corral, and noticed it was really warming up.  Bonnie arrive just as I was going to get Amiga.  I started off bareback in the round pen to see how she was doing.  She was just a tad stiff, but movement seemed to help.  However, she was quite spooked by all the new leaves blowing on the trees in the back woods.  I kept reassuring my silly girl, but thought I might need to put a saddle on to ride out back. 





After work in the round pen, I headed up the drive to see if getting away from the woods would help.  And it did.  Amiga calmed down and didn't give me any other problems the rest of the ride.  In this close-up, you can see Bonnie working with Cowboy out in the field. 







When we rode around the side pasture, there was a goose making it's way to the water after it saw us.  I was anticipating a spook, especially if the goose took flight, but neither happened. 





I always let Amiga stop and look at things that worry, interest, or even scare her.  If I stay tranquil and reassure her, she will remain calm too (usually).

Next we circled the inside of the back pasture.  Often Amiga gets revved up out here, but she stayed quiet and listening and we walked the whole perimeter.





Zorro is not seen with the two boys because he came zipping down to the paddock when Amiga and I were riding along that fence line.  And his racing towards us didn't even excite Amiga.



Last of all, after coming back down the drive, I rode out the back gate and took a big loop on all of our new trail, Marmaduke, and Hathaway.  I was amazed that Amiga was not at all barn sour.  She went right out the gate and did not rush (at all) coming back. 😊
Also, she only felt like she was favoring her front left leg and only on hills or tight turns.  I folded laundry up at the ranch house and headed home. 



Since the gym closed at four, and I was rather hungry, I chose to stay home and eat, lying in the sun, and starting a new book because the other one I was reading was going so slow.  I took Maggie on a 40 minute walk, showered, fed animals, packed my bag, and was ready to leave home again.  The two hour drive to Courtney’s went very quickly because I was so engrossed in the new Christine Feehan novel, ‘Ruthless Game’ that I was reading.
We arrived at 8 PM, had a snack and beer, chatted with Courtney and then we were off to bed. 


Sunday 4/14 - The day dawned with promise to be a beautiful one.  I hadn't brought my travel laptop, so went for a lovely morning walk and then sipped tea while sitting on Courtney's back deck working Sudoku.


 




The birds were chirping and singing, and clearly ecstatic about the warm, sunny day.  The reason for our trip to Nashville, was to attend granddaughter Ava's birthday party.  We left Courtney's at 8:30am, heading to Sky Zone Trampoline Park in Murfreesboro. 


All of Ava's little friends had 90 minutes to play on all of the equipment.  They had a blast.  Parents, who watched, helped, and encouraged, also seemed to enjoy the experience. 




I basically followed Ava around and took lots of photos and videos: (video 1) (video 2)  (video 3)  (video 4).


































Then we all went into the 'party' room, were we ate pizza and drank punch, sang happy birthday, ate cake, and opened gifts.  






The theme of Ava's party was dinosaurs... she just loves them. 


















Ava had lots of curious on-lookers as she opened her gifts. 



Every guest got to take home a dinosaur and left with big smiles on their face. 









Ava helping Dad push out the cart loaded with her gifts. 







A little more fun before heading back to Dan and Vale's.  Ava and I played the Jurassic Park video game.  The machine gun 'kicked' as the 'air craft' we were sitting in rolled and shook. 
And we both made it out alive.


There was one more gift for Ava to open when we got to their house.  A new helmet and bike with training wheels. 

Joe, Ava, me, Vale, Tango, and Dan; all out for a walk.  Courtney took the photo.










Ava tended to put on the brakes and struggled with peddling it forward.  She will get it soon. 
 

During Ava's nap, we all rested and most of us napped.  I had a short nap and then took a long walk. 









I came across this rock quarry that had four wheeler trails all around.


There were a few fire pits and plenty of beer bottles scattered in various places.  I could see that this was a p
lace where kids partied. 





There were some trails that looked like abandoned 4-wheeler trails that were for hiking and biking.  I did see one gentleman on a mountain bike.  This looked to me like a fun place to ride Amiga.  


This is a view coming back down from the hill top, showing the edge of Dan's subdivision. 


Once everyone was up and we were fixin' to go to dinner, Ava tried on her new, adjustable riding helmet.  It can 'grow' with her.




We had dinner at Demo's Steak and Spaghetti House in Lebanon.  


The food was good although they didn't have french fries for Ava.  But she did enjoy the chicken and rice soup. 

Our drive home was under two hours and went well, especially since I was reading my good book. 

We picked Maggie up at Patty's and called it a day.


Monday 4/15 - The ranch was my 'gym' today.  I left here at 8:45 and didn't get home until 6:45.

Patty was mowing when we arrived.  Joe helped me with several jobs. 







We spread out all the raunchy hay over the dirt that has been washing into the pond.  Our project supervisor checked out the work.  




Next Joe moved several bucket loads of 'crush run' to the area in front of the loafing shed that gets muddy when it rains.  












Patty took some photos and this (video) of me using the tractor to compact the gravel, while she was mowing behind the barn.


Joe had helped move manure and then some concrete slabs behind the dam so they weren't sticking up.  He quit once he thought it was satisfactory.  Earlier we had also started moving part of the electric rope and ribbon fence in the upper paddock to make it smaller.  But also put that on hold because we needed more connection parts.  






I had taken a break from working behind the dam (trying to break up some of the concrete still sticking up) because my sledge hammer head came off.  I put the horses out on the very lush side pasture. 




The horses were in seventh heaven.  It was like a giant buffet.  Although I noticed they were going for the shorter (sweeter) grass still. 








Patty had gone to get us lunch at Subway and after we ate, she helped me move horses back onto the front pasture, which has very short grass. 



After getting the 'boys' secured in front, I went to get Amiga, and walked her down the drive to the barn.  Meanwhile, the boys were trying to talk Patty into opening the gate back up.  LOL.







She gave them some lovin' and then turned and walked away.  

While Patty finished mowing, I groomed Amiga and then headed out on a short ride (bareback and only at a walk). 



I rode Amiga down Hathaway. 


Then Marmaduke.

And then we headed home by way of our new trail (video). 








Like on Saturday, I thought Amiga felt pretty 'sound.'  And walking seemed to help her feel more even or fluid in her movement, which makes me think it's the arthritis bothering her.

I had put Amiga back out with the boys and continued work on the paddock fence line, clearing it of sticks and sprouts that were growing up into the barbwire on the woods side. 










At the usual (earlier) dinner time, the horses had come in from the field, and rested in the shade, waiting on me.  I took these two photos to show where the new gravel was placed.


I tried to get a photo of all the horses together inside the shed, but just couldn't get far enough away to fit them all in. 









I'm sure you get the idea. 
Feeding time started a bit later (5pm)

I had brought a sack lunch, but since Patty got us Subway, while I waited for the horses to eat, I ate what I had brought for lunch, as my dinner. 





  


Wanda was being all 'lovey dovey' while I sat in the barn, even after all my food was gone. 


I took this (video) of Amiga heading out after dinner. 

I hadn't worked the full ten hours I was at the ranch, but kept busy and was exhausted when I got home.  It was hard to get my household chores completed I was so tired.  I then took a precautionary pain sleep aid.


Tuesday 4/16 - Rose taking a morning nap on the porch.  I got to and from the gym by 1pm and then went back out to the ranch to continue work. 


Joe was mowing when I got there, so I planted flowers in this metal tub by the barn while I waited for him.










Our project supervisor was ready to move on to something more exciting. 





Joe and I finished up the fencing project we had started on yesterday.  Now the upper paddock is much smaller and can be more of a dry lot.  It might also be used for 'overnighters.'   









Joe had fixed the sledge hammer and was willing to help me move two more concrete slabs behind the dam.


Dave (who has been helping us with repairs) arrived to work with Susan and Bonnie.  He was early, so also helped with concrete slab moving.  I had finally gotten them positioned to where they weren't such an eye sore and am satisfied (and finished) with that nonsense. 










I was still moving manure back behind the dam to cover some unsightly tires as Susan, Bonnie, and Dave were finishing up with feeding chores.



The horses were enjoying their evening hay as I left.  Amiga and Banner are seen together above.  Zorro has gotten more chill about Banner and Cowboy being near Amiga.

I was last to leave the ranch, closing the gate behind me at 5:15.

Rose was around at feeding time and I noticed she had a scratch across her face.  I wondered what critter did this.  I have seen other stay cats in our yard along with coon and possum.  I wish I could keep Rose safer. 













Joe and I started season seven of Suits, watching two episodes, all we had time for.


Wednesday 4/17 - Joe had been up much of the night, with a bad cough, so I too had not slept well.  It was overcast and rainy, more so in the morning than afternoon, but stayed pretty gloomy all day.  And it was about 20° colder than yesterday. 

I had an intense workout at the gym, even though I was feeling sore from the last two days of ranch work.




Once at the ranch, mid afternoon, I continued work on cleaning leaves and sticks from the upper paddock and side pasture.  You can kind of see where we had brought the stretch fence from across the whole field, and moved it up to the wood fence so the paddock is a smaller rectangle.  When Susan arrived, we let the horses into the paddock area.  She groomed Cowboy and I worked in the (house) yard and garden, picking up sticks and leaves.
After dumping the wagon of sticks and leaves down back, I just parked the mower/wagon in the donkey shed because my car was parked at the barn, I had chores, and it was getting late.









After evening feeding chores, when I left, Banner was with Amiga and Zorro, munching on hay. 






In this photo, you can see Cowboy off on his own.  Also notice the variety of new growth color in the woods.

It was 6:30 when I got home.  Joe had stayed home (sick) all day and since he was skipping poker, we watched two more episodes of Suits.

Thursday 4/18 - It was Joe's Birthday.  He woke feeling worse, so went into the walk-in clinic.  He was diagnosed with strep throat, given a shot and antibiotics and meds for his congestion and cough.  Some birthday present. 

I stayed here at my computer longer than usual, having decided to give my sore body a rest from the gym.  

This mama deer and her twins from last spring (she is in the middle) came by for a drink from the pond, a bite to eat, and some licks from the salt block. 



I didn't get to work in the front yard until 11:00.  But then I was out there until dinner time, with a few breaks.  My project supervisor was out with me most of the time also.  






I weeded the front bed, planted some flowers, swept the sidewalk and front porch, and brought two house plants back outside.


As usual, I didn't finish, but where I did work looks much better. 

 







I planted this poor hydrangea (center in photo), that I bought several weeks ago on sale because it had gotten 'frost bit' during a cold snap.  It was looking good until I accidentally forgot about it in the garage and it got dried out.  It is coming back to life again, but still looks sad. 


During one of my rest breaks, I joined Rose on the back deck.  She is by no means a lap cat, but enjoys being pet and getting some lovin'. 









Joe still wasn't feeling great, but we did watched Survivor and then two episodes of Suits. 


Friday 4/19 - Look at Gloria, King of the mountain, or at least of the dogwood tree.
 
I went to the gym earlier than usual and had a great weight workout.  I skipped the elliptical, planning to get in a good aerobic walk with Maggie (and the weighted vest) after dinner.

I ate lunch out on the deck and decided to lay out and read even though it was overcast.  I had tried the day before but the sun was way too hot.  I am trying to get a little color before the pool opens. 

I met Joe at the ranch and after he finished mowing the chicken yard, we took down the top boards from the corral run-in shed.


Joe was still recovering from being sick, so headed home.  I brought the horses back in from the upper paddock and then decided to ride Amiga.  She seemed stiff but improved with the walking, except when going down hill, which she seemed to struggle with.

I had planned to go to town for a quick shopping trip, had ice packs in the cooler and my list, but couldn't bring myself to go.  I was in no mood to shop, and besides, it was almost dinnertime and I was feeling barn sour.  And then, instead of a walk after dinner, I watched three episodes of Suits with Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment