Friday, April 5, 2024

Spring Into April

We have marched right out of last month and sprung into April.  






March had come in like a lion (it rained all day on the 1st) and it ended up going out like a lamb (the 31st was a very pretty day).
 


Easter Sunday 3/31 - Happy Easter and goodbye the last day of March. 
I love the cuteness we associate with Easter, but it really should focus on the Lamb of God. 





With Easter comes spring, the symbol of the resurrection,
the rebirth of everything we see that is greening up and blooming.  Spring also brings the birth of new life (cute baby animals).


Rose showed up during our morning walk, the first time I've seen her since I had left for Road To The Horse.  She seemed a little more unkempt than usual, kind of scraggly, and her left eye, which is sometimes a little irritated, kinda didn’t open all the way.  She was hungry and thirsty when I gave her food and water.  After she ate, while at my desk, I saw her taking a nap in the leaves next door in Allen's side yard.  This is also a bit unusual.





 

Mid-morning, across the street, I noticed a service occurring (just ending in this photo).  I wondered if this was an Easter service, memorial service, dedication service, or an actual interment service. 

After finishing and posting last week's blog (a day later than usual because it was a short one) I made a big salad and fixed raw veggies for our afternoon Easter dinner.

Then I worked for a few hours out in the back yard.  Rose came over to visit, take a tongue bath (seen in photo), and sit and watch.  She kind of blends in with the rocks. 








I showered and was at Karen's enjoying a margarita out on her back deck by 2:15.  Two of her big cats were watching me.  They and Karen joined me once the ham was out of the oven and the rolls were in.

Carol, Patty, and Shirley arrived and soon we were enjoying a feast of all the food we each brought.  I kind of stuffed myself.


I had to leave the party early to feed my crew and then go to the ranch to do chores.  Rose was napping on the deck by the time I had walked Maggie and was heading out to the ranch.

This was the first time to keep the horses in off the pasture at night (since December 31st), so it worked out well that I didn't feed them until 6:30.  And all the chickens were already in the coop when I went to shut the big door, even though the little automatic door hadn't shut yet. 

Even though I was exhausted and wanting to go to bed early, I stayed up reading in order to let my food digest a bit more, and my stomach to empty some.


Monday 4/1 - Happy April Fool's Day.

Rose walked with Maggie and I.  Later in the morning, when I got up to get my second cup of tea and my breakfast sweets, I went and sat on the deck because Rose was out there.  She was looking better today. 






Rose did not want to join me on the lounge chair, but preferred to sit on the deck with Maggie.

I should sit out there on the nice mornings, rather than here in front of my computer.  Rose eventually conked out, and napped out here for several hours. 



Earlier in an email, Sister Jean had made a comment about her being 'solar powered.' She said on cloudy days she is not near as energized as on sunny days. I totally think that is my dilemma also.

After doing trail work Saturday and yard work Sunday, I was very sore, stiff and tired when I got out of bed.  It was gloomy, which didn't help my motivation or energy level any. 


Before lunch time, I was feeling very hungry, and in the mood for the leftovers I had from yesterday's feast.  So rather than go to the gym, I had a big salad with ham on top.  Yum!  







So to partially rectify the fact that I had skipped the gym, I took Maggie on a long, one hour walk, with my weighted vest on.  This photo was taken from the road, on the other side of Snead cannon (where the golf course crosses at hole #15).
 

Maggie and I took the new hiking trail off of St. George (Place & Drive).  It hooks up to the Seven Bridges trail, which you can see in the distance in this photo. 


I just love the beauty of our woods and all the wonderful trails.  I need to get out on them more. 






I got a little winded going up the hills, so felt like I got a decent aerobic workout during our walk. I plan to walk outside in nice weather (rather than do the elliptical at the gym) and shorten my gym time by just doing my rowing warm up, weights, and stretch and balance cool down. 


Patty and I took Amiga and Zorro out for a short ride, going down and back on our whole new trail.  Zorro led like a champ going out, but once turned around, he really rushed going back to the barn.  It was past their usual feeding time, which didn't help.  



Amiga did not act or look sore, so I was happy about that, but we still gave her a Previcox, which again was a struggle.  



Joe reported in from his poker cruise and was so excited about meeting some of the most famous poker players in the world.  I was just glad to hear he wasn't playing against them, in the higher stakes games and tournament.


Tuesday 4/2 - I had my day all planned out, and was dressed for the gym when I took Maggie for a 'quick' walk.  Well, I stopped to talk with two different neighbors so it was 45 minutes later when I was finally headed to the gym.  While there, I heard that we were under a tornado watch.  What the what?
So I altered my plans somewhat, did a great weight workout but skipped the elliptical, and hurried home.  I was soon back out the door, headed to town to shop, but to first swing by the ranch.  
I shut both shop doors, all the way closed, to keep stuff inside from getting blown all over the place.  Susan and Bonnie had already shut barn doors. 



I can never resist the baby chicks at Tractor Supply.  My shopping went quickly because there was hardly anyone out and about.  I guess they were avoiding the possibility of a tornado.  I even had time for a walk-in hair cut, and like at the stores, there was no wait.

I got an Ava up-date from Dan.  She was enjoying the day in-spite of the rain and thus far they were only under a tornado watch in Nashville, but none had been spotted there either. 







Joe reported from the Grand Cayman's.  He played in a golf tournament today, with other poker players.  Someone bought their team in a Calcutta auction.  It was a Stable-ford event (which is a form of scoring) and Joe's team won by 1 point.  So he won a nice sum of money for a day of playing.  He is seen here with the hostess of The World Poker Tour that's on TV.


Since the storms hadn't been bad (yet) and I had skipped the elliptical, I took Maggie on another long walk with my weighted vest on. 
This is the top of the #14 waterfall feature that Maggie got a drink from. 







This is a well done fake cemented dead log that hides the pipe that pumps the water up from the pond. 

We got sprinkled on before making it back home and then the storms (high winds and heavy rain but no tornado) really hit before bed and during the night.
Wednesday 4/3 - I don't know if I mentioned it, but lately I've been getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep most nights and not feeling any need for a nap.  Unfortunately, I only got four hours of sleep before I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep today.  So, I spent over three hours at my computer mostly scrolling through memes and videos on the internet.  Finally I got sleepy and went back to bed at 6am.  Then when I woke up I had to hustle to get to the barn in time for the farrier.  




I took with me, my 3rd cup of caffeinated tea in an effort to warm up and wake up.  The overnight storm had really dropped the temp. and the rain made it feel that much colder.

I took this photo of Banner, who was in the barn with the other three, while the farrier worked.  He  practically fell asleep after eating a bunch of hay.  His eyes were closed and his bottom lip really lose, but he woke up when I moved in to take his photo.  He must have had a tough night, as I suspect they all did.  


We put wedge shoes on Amiga's back feet this time, like what she has on her front, in an attempt to take some pressure off her suspensory ligaments and stifle.  We’ll see how it goes.  But the shoes are more expensive and it just seems extravagant to be paying $170 every 5 to 6 weeks for her to be shod.  I don’t even spend that much money on my shoes in a year's time. 

Patty helped me clean the Ranch house.  She did the vacuuming and I did all the disinfecting of surfaces and dusting and cleaning of bathrooms.  As I was leaving, I spotted the two Pasos resting while Banner ate and Cowboy looked on. 

By the  time I got home I was cold and hungry so had a salad and green tea. This made me sleepy, so I took another nap while reading, in very spotty sunlight on the floor in the living room.  I had a blanket also.  I had suddenly gotten a very stiff neck out at the Ranch for some reason, and was struggling with trying to relieve the pain from that, by doing some stretches.

I went back out to the ranch to do chores.  It was very windy and cold.  I fed the chickens first and got these photos of Tiny.  She's really looking pretty good with the new feathers that have come in.

She still has some feathers hanging low, seeming to want to fall out above her left leg, under her wing.
 






It was raining off and on while I fed the horses and was only 46°, so by the time I got home I was chilled again.  I had a big bowl of soup, which helped tremendously.
 

Thursday 4/4 - Daniel's Birthday.  Since I didn't take any photos, this is it for the day.  It was another day that didn't go exactly how I had planned.  I attended the morning Wildwood Stables planning meeting (open to public) and participated in the brain storming potion of it.  We had some juggling of cars and then Shirley dropped in while waiting on Patty to finish the closed session of the morning meeting before they hit the road for a little Civil War get-away.  

I had a late, big lunch, making a pig of myself because I was so hungry for some reason.  Then I had to wait and digest before going to the gym.  I finally got there at 4:00 after puttering around the house part of the afternoon.  I started on the elliptical and barely made it to the end of an hour show on HGTV.  I had gotten so light headed for some reason.  So I left without doing weights, I just didn't think I was capable of any exertion.  I hit Waggles, Food City, and got home feeling really hungry again.  I'm thinking I was a little dehydrated and maybe had low blood sugar.

Friday 4/5 - Well, spring kind of sprung backwards and we have been having more winter since Tuesday.  More (or another) winter means several days of gloomy, cool and damp weather.  According to Tennessee folklore, there can be four basic springtime winters  including; Redbud, Dogwood, Locust and Blackberry.  Some sources had actually named seven winters. 

During the month of March, it's typically a Redbud Winter when it
gets below freezing, because the Redbuds are in full bloom.  The Dogwood Winter occurs when the Dogwoods are blooming, usually around the middle of April. 






So, I guess this is a Redbud winter because they 
(the pink trees) are still in full bloom where as most Dogwood aren't fully covered in white flowers yet. 





The Locust winter is in early May, the Blackberry winter is in mid May, and there can be a Whippoorwill winter in late May (which has also been called Britches Winter).  Seen right, Roger's Redbud is very pretty yet the two Dogwoods
beside and behind Brian's are only partially bloomed.  Below, the Dogwood in Brian's front yard is actually farther along than most of them.

This morning it was so cold, we even had a few snow flurries before 7am.  I hope this IS the last of winter we see and experience, cause I am sick and tired of the cold, damp weather.

I dropped by and chatted with Karen, fed Patty's cats and then hit the gym from 12:30 - 3:30.  I had a great workout and was thankful to be back to my old self. 
After an early dinner, I packed and prepared to be gone for four days.  Meanwhile, Karen took care of the over-nighters who arrived at the ranch and Courtney shuttled Mary, Jack, and Tito from the airport to her house where Joe's truck was parked, that they then drove to the ranch where they will be staying for a week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment