Friday, August 16, 2024

Doctor, Doctor

Doctor, doctor, give me the news.  This blog is not about the song 'Bad Case Of Loving You' but about a week with two doctor appointments and a fasting blood draw for a third doctor visit early next week.  I do not have white coat syndrome, although my normally very low blood pressure does go up when I enter a doctor's office.  I dislike any kind of medical appointment, even eye doctor, dentist, or physical therapist.  I prefer not to be scrutinized and just get very nervous when I am.

From what I had read, I figured I needed to ease into my usual routine and diet over the next several weeks.  I also know once I start feeling better, I am going to need some self control to not overdo it.  I don't want to blowout a gasket (dehiscence of intestinal anastomosis - internal incision breaking open and leaking into abdomen).  Getting back to 'normal' is going to take longer than I'd like.  I can not (should not) lift anything over 10 to 20 pounds for 4 to 6 weeks.  Bending and twisting are also to be limited and I still wasn't sure when I could start eating roughage and go horseback riding.

Saturday 8/10 - I slept until almost 7am.  I love how the morning sun cast a shadow of the ivy leaves on my calendar.  Joe vacuumed the downstairs to help with flea eradication.  I increased my walking distance to over two miles, and later spent almost two hours at the pool, chatting with friends.  The remainder of the day was spent resting and doing a lot of reading.   


Monita napping up on this cat tower. 








I woke her taking the first photo, she stretched and then covered her eyes to resume her nap.

We had different over-nighters at the ranch with two horses.  It was a mom and daughter who pitched a tent and slept near the corral.
 


Sunday 8/11 - Pretty much every day I sleep when I want, eat when I want, and make myself regularly get out for some walking.

We opened all the windows the night before, so it was actually quite cold in the house when I got up.  Shirley and I met at church and enjoyed the service as usual.  I got home and laid in the sun because I had been chilled, but soon got too warm. 






I finished my James Patterson novel in just three days (which is a record for me).  I ate a larger, early dinner of spaghetti, green beans and applesauce.  I was really starting to feel somewhat normal.  Actually my digestive issues before surgery have been a lot better now.  I took Maggie on a three mile walk after my big meal, which always helps my digestion. 



I have been tormented by tons of bug bites that I believe are fleas from the cats.  I continue washing sheets and Joe vacuumed the upstairs.  He has a few bites, but isn’t totally convinced it's fleas, thinking it might be chiggers.  They itch like chiggers and are in tighter spots where the chiggers tend to bite so I don’t know.  I have not actually seen any fleas on me or any in the house since the night I was in bed with Mama Styx.  The cats are not scratching like they had been, so I know the medicine has killed what was on them.  It's what's in the carpet and furniture that worries me. 
I started a new James Patterson book at bedtime.


Monday 8/12 - Joe was off fairly early to help Patty with chores at the ranch and then to golf.  I picked Patty up at her house at 10:30, and we went to my oncologist appointment.
Doctor, doctor, give me the news:
It was great news!  Dr. Davidson confirmed that I am cancer free and need no further treatment.  Hallelujah!
I am so thankful that the cancer was only stage 1 and was all removed with the surgery.  Praise God for the answered prayers and thank you all for your prayers.

My iron is still low so
and will take at least three months to get over the anemia that was caused by the tumor, and then surgery.  So I'll do monthly blood draws and take iron pills twice a day until that is resolved.  I will also be getting a CEA (tumor marker) blood test in a year. (It is a strong prognostic biomarker in patients with colorectal cancer who underwent surgical resection.)  I will see my surgeon Thursday morning and find out when I can return to normal activity and diet.


We went to Sonic after leaving the doctor's office and enjoyed lunch there, before proceeding to Walmart. 









After I dropped Patty off at home, I went to the Grove and set up my chair for tonight's concert.  I was ready to celebrate. 

It was mid-afternoon and I was thinking it wise to take a nap, but I putts around doing this and that. 
I was feeling so good, and maybe a little invincible, that I made a rather large salad (spinach & broccoli chopped well, egg, and leftover hamburger) for an early dinner.  I made a point to chew it well, but by the following morning, I realized that might have been a little much for my digestive system to handle.  But it's all good. 


 





I fed pets early, cleaned litter boxes, and decided to comb the cats with a flea comb.  Mama Styx and Babe did not have any, but a bunch came off in the comb (some still alive) when I ran it through Monita's fur.  SHOOT







So I decided to give her a bath (second time ever for her) right then and there.  She actually didn't fight me too much, and I really scrubbed her with Dawn soap.  I was surprised not to see any fleas in the 'bath' water.  She was sanctioned to the screened in porch with Stevie to finish drying off. 


I threw all pet bedding and blankets into the laundry and then had to hustle to get to Mirror Lake Blast.

I arrived just in time for the start of the music.  Joe, and later Micki joined me. 







I really enjoyed being at the concert, did a lot of 'controlled' (not too wild) dancing, and had a great time seeing everyone.  In this photo by Vernon Martin, you can see Micki and I up front and center.  I had on my new cap.

I was home before 9:00, threw the laundry in the dryer, let Monita in off the porch, and went up to bed, exhausted.  This was the first day since surgery that I hadn't had a nap, and it was a very busy day for me. 







I read Linda's card of encouragement and the many post cards she made and had given me at the end of the concert.  Here is a sampling of her (
Linda Sue Hodges) beautiful photography and wonderful scripture messages. 


I believe the first three are of wildlife here in the Glade and the last one is from her former home in FL.  The turtle and gator were peacefully sunning together. 









I am so fortunate
to have Linda as a friend.  I am so blessed to have all of you in my life.  I quickly drifted peacefully off to sleep once I turned the lights out.

Tuesday 8/13 -  Karen sent me this photo of Amiga, after she had groomed her and then did her hooves yesterday.  Isn't she a pretty girl? 

After a busy day yesterday, I felt the need to recuperate today.  So it was a very low-key day.  I continued with more laundry of sheets and blankets, messed at my computer, read out on a lounge chair in the sun for awhile, and took a long nap, actually in bed. 

Joe had helped me put clean sheets on the bed, so I'd not strain my gut.

Within about two hours of time, I had been told, independently by three different people, to listen to the doctor and slow down.  I struggle with knowing how much activity is too much, and am feeling so good it is difficult to stay idle.  But I'm guessing God was trying to make it clear to me 
through these comments... to go easy.  

The cats got combed again, with less fleas appearing, so I hope I am making progress with that.

After a big dinner, I took Maggie for a three mile walk.  I came home walking down the 18th fairway and took these last two photos from the 17th green. 


I really wish the golf course would clean up the pond.  It is so scummy looking.

I had been having foot pain after my longer walks, so had switched to better walking shoes.  Normally I was wearing my cheap slip-on dog walking shoes that I don’t usually go very far in.  My good tennis shoes have much better support, which helped.
 


Wednesday 8/14 - I had fasted overnight and went in for a blood draw (a mile from home at the Wellness/Medical Center).  I was home just after 8am to enjoy my tea and breakfast.  This was posted on Facebook, and seemed so appropriate to share.  We all should take time for the doctor visits, wellness screenings, exercise, diet, and rest, that are important for our good health.  Our mental and spiritual well being are also important.  




I laid out in the sun and read my new book which has gotten exciting. 
After lunch I went to Dorchester Pool for a couple of hours to visit with friends.  When I got home, I watered all the plants in the front, having watered all the ones in the back the day before. 






Stevie did not have a good day, making quite a few messes out on the back porch.  After cleaning up after her, all four cats got their daily flea combing.  Babe was the only one who had several fleas on her, but most of them were dead. 


I got these beautiful flowers with another piece of advice about going easy.  Like it says, I just need to be patient with the healing process.

I had a frozen dinner for dinner and then took Maggie for a little over three miles, on a nice walk.

I did not take Tylenol pm for the first time since surgery.  I was hoping Poker Joe wouldn't wake me when he came to bed and that I would get up bright and early, bushy tailed and not sleepy.


Thursday 8/15 - Joe and I were out the door and on the road for Knoxville right at 6am.  We met with my surgeon.  Doctor, doctor, give me the news: 
All incisions look great but I am to leave the mesh surgical dressing on the three inch one for another week.  I can get back to swimming and my normal diet.  But NO lifting of anything over 20lbs for 6 weeks after surgery.  So that won't be
until 9/10 - in 3 weeks and 5 days, but who's counting.  Also no horseback riding until then either - too risky.  And no pushing, pulling, straining to move, etc. any heavy objects.


I did my computerizing once home and more puzzle working later.  Now that my health concerns are over, I have time to worry more about Stevie.  I called the vet to make an appointment, but the earliest they can see her is in three weeks.  I hope there is a cheap and easy solution, but fear euthanasia may be the most practical and humane thing to do. 

I went to the ranch after lunch, to check on Amiga, who Brooke had said came in very lame for dinner yesterday.  Shoot!   




We may be 'broken' like this muck rake,
but we are still useful.
Thankfully Amiga was not too bad.  I proceeded to water all the young trees, shrubs, and flowers.  Pulling the three sections of hose around proved to be almost too much strain on my belly, more than I had anticipated.  So I had to work a little smarter (not harder), but it took a little longer because I had to drag the hose around the yard in smaller sections and shorter distances.
I only did a short 1/2 mile walk after dinner because I had been on my feet all afternoon.
Joe got home early from poker and we watched a dumb Clint Eastwood movie - Coogan's Bluff.

Friday 8/16 - I have had more time for puzzle's.  I almost got today's Wordle in two, but at the last second decided to throw a 'K' in the 'Es' spot just to try out more constants.  And then I had a brain fart and screwed up my third guess.
I meet Betty, an old friend and prospective new boarder at the ranch.  It was great catching up with her.  She had her horse at Wildwood, and then the ranch when Terry owned the property.  I also checked Amiga, who looked pretty good, but I still gave her a Previcox. 

I hung out at the pool for 2½ hours, totally forgetting about a speaker on pruning I was going to go listen to.  I need to get out of this 'resting bum' mind frame. 
Joe and I went to Stonehenge for dinner, and ran into two friends from our former Wildwood Stables days. 

This is the view from our table.  I thoroughly enjoyed a hardy meal but did need to get a to-go box for the remainder of it.
It was another fantastic week, even with three medical appointments.  I still have my regular doctor and dentist next week and will eventually be seeing a geneticist to determine if I have Lynch syndrome.  If so, it means I have a greater chance of re-occurrence of this cancer (which also occurs
in stomach, ovaries, pancreas, and bladder).  I would then need to be followed closer, including having the other organs checked.  And of course I'd then need to let my blood relatives know of their increased chance for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment