Thursday, October 8, 2026

Hello/Goodbye


This week saw the ending of some things and the beginning of others.  It was also a continuation of transitioning between summer (hot, dry days with working at the pool) and fall (cool, wet days with more time on my hands to ride, but not necessarily being able to).   
It was also the beginning of resuming an old tradition that my Grandparents and Mom both did: Having just the grandchild/grandchildren (no parents) for a visit.


Saturday 10/3 - Nature is in the process of saying goodbye to the greenery outside and hello to all the beautiful fall colors.  To Mama Styx, it really makes no difference, although the temperatures have dropped outside and the fur babies are seeking warm sunlight.  But none could be found today because it was cloudy and rainy.  Needless to say, there would be no riding (or yard work) today.  


  





The gloomy,wet outdoors did mean I had plenty of time to catch up on some things here in the house and get in a good workout at the gym.  Hello four deer in the woods outside my office window.


On the way home from the gym, I stopped in at Shirley's to see all the new changes she has made to her home.  I need to follow her example and say goodbye to some of the clutter that has been accumulating.

I had an early dinner (or late lunch) and then took Cookie for a long walk.  There was laundry, reading and a nap before a second, small dinner. 


Sunday 10/4 - It was a damp, dreary morning, so attendance at our last outdoor church service 
for this season, was smaller than usual.  Jan shared this photo (actually from yesterday) of turkeys on Chestnut Hill road seen on her way to the barn.  We will need to be on the 'look out' while riding.  


Just after noon, Karen and I enjoyed a nice little ride, going the usual 3½ mile route.





George has certainly gotten comfortable around Wanda and even most of us people here at the barn.


   


Karen shared this photo (zoom in) of 
George making himself at home on a sunny day last week.  









I helped Patty with chores so didn't get home until dinner time.  It was also Sunday weekly household chore day.

Poker Joe was gone, so what energy I had left, I used taking the dogs for a longer walk.


Monday 10/5 - Patty and I met at the barn at 10am and took a leisurely ride on Rico and Zorro.  
It was in the low 70s, perfect riding weather.  Patty setting her riding app. on her phone.  We went nearly four miles.






The horses did well, although Rico had several little spooks, mostly at leaves blowing and falling in the breeze and nutty squirrels running around more than usual.


We usually bring Amiga down to the barn with the two Paso boys.  She is quite content hanging out in her stall while we horse around with the boys.

I did some different little tasks before leaving the ranch.  Wanda and George hanging out while I came and went to and from the barn and shop.  




I was really dragging by the time I got home.  I had been up during the night from 1 to 4am and then got up at 5:30, so was short on sleep.  I had a late lunch and then read and napped, so the gym never happened. 

We spoke with Dan and Vale after dinner, excited about the good news - their house has sold.  The closing date is October 26th.  They are also in the process of trying to finalize a contract on a house down the street 
in the new subdivision from the house (that sold) that they had planned to buy.


Tuesday 10/6 - I went to the library to get my next James Patterson book (#3) in the number series, then to Kroger's at the Village Mall for a Covid vaccine.  Lastly, I hit the gym for a good workout from 10 - 12:30.  After a rest, and starting my new book, I was at the ranch to do afternoon chores.  Our neighbors out there (whom we really like) are in the process of building the grandchildren a playground.  




I got home before dinner time, so worked at sweeping up acorns off the driveway.  The tan looking acorns in the sunny spot behind Joe's car, still needs sweeping.

Joe grilled sausage, eggs, and pancakes out on the flat-top and I was starting to feel the adverse effects of the vaccine, so took my achy, chilled, fatigued body to bed early; with a pain sleep aid.
 

Wednesday 10/7 - No photos were taken today, so these are from this (video) Patty took on Monday.  I was leading Amiga down to the barn and the boys were following, but Rico started getting a little pushy 
with Amiga.  He'd actually nipped her in the rear, so I had to correct him and move her away.  All this action took place in four seconds.  



Today I had woken up way too early with the full onset of flu-like symptoms.  I had a few crackers to settle my upset stomach and went back to bed.  But sleep eluded me.  My head was pounding and I ached all over and I went from being chilled to feeling feverish.  I took acetaminophen and just sat at my computer feeling like crap.  I went back to bed at 8am.  




I had improved after an hour nap, and the medicine had kicked in. I had chores so made a quick trip to the ranch to get the Pasos off the pasture and feed them.  By the time I got back home, I needed more rest, so read and rested some more.  


Finally feeling a little better, I went back to the ranch to go for a ride with Karen.  I was definitely dragging, and it seemed Rico was also.  Was he feeding off my energy, or the lack there of?  We did have a decent four mile ride.

I did gather up the energy to muck.

Joe and I watched Survivor.  

Thursday 10/8 -  I was at the gym working out by 8am.  Left my car for an oil change at 10:00.  Joe dropped me at the grocery and I bought food for us and our little visitor who was coming.  He got the car washed inside and out and then picked up me and we went on to get my car. 






I cleaned house, took dog supplies (a crate, two beds, food and toys) to Patty's for this coming weekend.  From there I went to the ranch to do chores, which included filling the Pasos' water tank and watering plants around the house.  The azalea is in full bloom again.  






When I got home I started in on decorating for Fall/Halloween.  Shadow was begging for dinner because it was about that time.  




Our sunset was pinkish orange, but not well caught in this photo.






Finally, almost half past seven, our little guest arrived.  Hello Ava.  Dan was dropping her off for a few days.  We were planning to send him home with their two cats (goodbye cats), but since they will be moving before the end of this month, we decided it would be best to keep the cats here until they get themselves moved into their new house.

We got more information from Daniel  They were able to purchase the other house, on the other end of the street from their first pick, and also a coroner lot.  It is one less bedroom, but was lower in price.  

After Joe and Ava walked the dogs and Dan left, these two (with the dogs) watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles before bed.

I read Ava an interesting bedtime story; the kids were telling their parents what good foods to say 'hello' to and what junk food to sat 'goodbye' to.

No comments:

Post a Comment